The Kyon Theory

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

OK, so Kyon is not a God, but maybe he's not exactly human either...

By way of evidence, I offer this exchange from the recently translated (yay Holy Cow!) Volume 7, Chapter 1
Spoiler! :
“They are a similar but separate entity. Compared to the Integrated Data Sentient Entity, they exist in a different---”

Nagato shut her mouth, as if searching for a suitable word.

“--- place. Even though both of them know of the existence of the other, there hasn’t been any contact before, because the both of them feel that even if there was contact, there couldn’t be mutual understanding.”

“However, they have noticed.”

Noticed what?

“Suzumiya Haruhi.”

[snip]

“They are a life form totally different of us. We cannot understand how they think, and it is estimated that they do not understand how we think.”

Isn’t there any other means of communicating with them? I really want to know how they think about Haruhi.

[snip]

Nagato moved her neck and said, “As long as they create a living humanoid interface like me, even if they couldn’t achieve 100% efficiency, they would still be able to achieve a high percentage, especially through means of speech.”

There wouldn’t be some of them here already, would they?

“There may be.”

Even though I didn’t wish for that possibility, I felt as if I would be even more surprised if they didn’t have at least one humanoid interface. What was this feeling, I wonder.

“Ah…”

That ah~ was made by Asahina-san.

“You can’t be saying…”

Asahina-san looked as if she had understood something, and looked at Nagato as if she had just realized something shocking. Nagato too looked at Asahina-san. The sight of an alien locking sights with a time traveler freaked me out.

“What’s the matter?”

“No, it’s nothing… Really…”
What was it that worried Asahina and Nagato so much? Have they finally figured out who, or what, Kyon actually is?
FNX
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by FNX »

Smidge204 wrote:
1) You're right, we don't. However what we DO know from the story so far is that 3-year-ago Kyon had no involvement. There is nothing to even suggest it except his opening monologue, which discredits itself by openly stating that he truly does not believe Aliens et al can actually exist.

3) That would make Kyon responsible for the Sealed Space occurrences, which makes no sense since there is no established correlation between them. A simpler explanation would be that, since Kyon is the narrator telling a first-hand account of his experiences, we can't possibly know anything that Kyon doesn't know. In other words, Kyon is not omnipresent. It only makes sense that Kyon is involved in everything that happens because they are HIS experiences related from HIS point of view!

Your explanation is that we have at least three separate (and clearly conflicting) groups that are staging an elaborate conspiracy to redirect Kyon's attention onto Haruhi so he doesn't find out that he's actually the one with the power.

Now that I think about it, why would Ryoko try to kill Kyon if he was really the source of the power? That would be just a little disingenuous of the IDSE.
=Smidge=
1. He does not believe aliens can exist but that does not mean that he does not want them to exist so we are in the same place

3. Not so sure about it, i think this: to him reality is boring the same goes with Haruhi, both of them have the same problem. Haruhi is like the incarnation of the desire Kyon has for a reality where anything can happen (dont take incarnation literally it may be just someone who represents this) as himself says in the first monolgue he is accepting the fact that nothing can happen but that doesnt mean that he has given up, so when Haruhi appears his spirit gradually begins to believe.

If he was aware of his own power to realize his dreams then nothing that he creates will surprise him so he doesnt get anything if he was in the place Haruhi is. So he choose to let Haruhi who is like him give him the motivation an events that will give him the excitement that he wants. All of this goes unconciously.

We can translate almost all the first novel in this tought, as Koizumi said Haruhi is god but his brain works in a logical way so she cant create something that she dont think can really exist, apply this tought to Kyon. He doesnt believe he is anything especial but his own desire for something creates a situation where his own logical brain can create thsi reality, how does he do this? well its simple put this power in someone else, but his logic says this power cant exist so lets prove it, then this person says she is an alien and take Haruhi's theory an explains it, of course he cant beliebe in something like that but unconciusly he wants to believe that so then a time traveler says something similar, he begins to wonder if something like that can be true and the last one comes and gives the same speech. He wants to somehow believe but proof is needed and eventually this proofs appear. In the end Kyon believes in this existence and as the other novels goes by he realizes that is the kind of existance that he always wanted from the beggining

As for the last lines of text that I quoted lest put it like this, if he doesnt believe there is power within himself the there wouldnt be any strange incident because there is no catalist so he made Haruhi the catalist for everything thats why all the groups are after Haruhi.

It may be a wrong theory but there are a lot of points left around to make you think like that, in the end (if there is one) we will see what is the right answer

Its hard to convey my thoughts in english when its not my first language so i hope its not that hard to read the above text
La unica manera de medir la vida es por medio de la pasion de vivirla...
renrutal
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by renrutal »

Smidge204 wrote:Now that I think about it, why would Ryoko try to kill Kyon if he was really the source of the power? That would be just a little disingenuous of the IDSE.
I have thought about this possibility too, so why?

Putting myself in Asakura's shoes, if I wanted to generate great amounts of data through a very intensive emotion/reaction, would I do indirectly, by hurting/killing a loved one, or directly by attacking (or just scaring off) my target?

I'd do it directly.
-----------

If you think about it, with all those events, Yuki is often getting her explosions of data, Koizumi has the situation under control, and Asahina is keeping the future the way it should be.

-----------

Quoting Dragoon too, Haruhi isn't the only one getting balanced.
Spoiler! :
Nagato Yuki is becoming more like a human being. She's enjoying her freedom.

And I expect Kyon to help Asahina Mikuru to become more like her "Big" version, confident, easygoing mature woman. As of v7ch2, a week living with Yuki should help her to become less scared of Yuki.

It should help Yuki too.
However... I don't see Koizumi changing. I don't even know who he really is in first place.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

Koizumi is growing more and more tired of being Haruhi's patsy, apparently.

Maybe we'll see Itsuki's real face soon?
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Yuki will become more human if Haruhi wishes for it. If she wants her to remain silent, she'll stay silent.

Koizumi will continue being a smiling bisexual idiot because he's a great actor and Haruhi believes he is.

Haruhi doesn't need to make a massive change or take control of the person completely under her will to make them be as she wishes.
IE: To make Koizumi stay the same, make the organization threaten to terminate him if he screws up, or make him even more patient on Haruhi and her crazy antics.

Also, Haruhi isn't losing powers or getting unbalanced or however you want to describe it as. She's just more content over her currant life (you know with Kyon and the SOS Dan and all), and she's beginning to lose faith on aliens, ESPers, and time travelers.
If she does manage to lose faith completely (which is highly doubtful because of her subconscious strong belief in them) on them, they'll lose their powers completely and become normal people.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Guest lol wrote:Yuki will become more human if Haruhi wishes for it. If she wants her to remain silent, she'll stay silent.
I don't see why Haruhi would have to micromanage the personal development of everyone involved. Yuki is becoming more human because she had no personality to begin with. This is classic Rei behaviour IMHO.

Guest lol wrote:Koizumi will continue being a smiling bisexual idiot because he's a great actor and Haruhi believes he is.
This is adressed in "Charmed at first sight," actually. Read the most recent update for that chapter.
Guest lol wrote:Haruhi doesn't need to make a massive change or take control of the person completely under her will to make them be as she wishes.
Again, is there any evidence that she is micromanaging every little detail of the world?

=Smidge=
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

If Haruhi believes/wishes it to be, then it will stay that way. Haruhi in the past has always gotten what she wanted or believed that would happen. If she finds that espers, time travelers, and aliens were real, she would believe that they were a common occurance despite the fact that they aren't really. This could result in them popping up everywhere. This applies to both Koizumi and Yuki. Minor changes in their personality will occur, but nothing gigantic.
Again, is there any evidence that she is micromanaging every little detail of the world?
Your brain subconsciously micromanages the information in your brain, as well as making links in your brain subconciously. There is no reason why Haruhi's brain micromanaged the details to fit properly.

Example: She created aliens, but along with that a background story, and the creation of the data entity in the universe came with it.

Since Haruhi created the Data Entities 3 years ago, she wouldn't have created a beginning point or allowing them to exist from a point A at the beginning of time like humans. She crafted them and the past behind them. This is a rather large dilemma in some fictional stories. Imagine that all your history, and everything you ever experienced could just be memories crafted into your brain.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

From the perspective of Yuki, Mikuru, and Itsuki, they existed before Haruhi's event 3 years ago. The data entities were in existence already, and noticed the huge data spike. The time travelers were already in existence, and noticed the time fluctuation and 3-year block. Itsuki and crew were normal humans before the awakening.

At least by their perspective.

Thing is, we don't know whether they existed or didn't exist before Haruhi's power activated. Perhaps her power only made their existence more active, serving as a beacon to bring them to her. Certainly a thinker.

Also, Haruhi's influence isn't the only one. Yuki's human changes are almost certainly a result, at least partially, of her interactions with Kyon. Mikuru is becoming more aware of her importance in the flow of time due to Kyon's involvement in it. Itsuki might be... gaining a friend... love interest?!?... in Kyon, something he might not have had before. He's also becoming less tense and more genuinely nice as Kyon reigns in Haruhi. That Itsuki would consider admitting to being the actor that he is to Kyon means he has some faith that Kyon won't out him or judge him too harshly.

I don't think Haruhi has "|33+ micromanagement skillz." When you wish something to happen in your mind, your subconcious takes over. Your concious mind has the general idea and your subconcious begins brainstorming on how build it up.

Another big thing, is that those three are changing even though Haruhi hasn't even made such demands of them. She's been suprised at the changes in Yuki. She, as well as Kyon, was shocked that Yuki took interest in the letter. I don't think Haruhi has any far-reaching expectations of her Brigade members, except for perhaps Kyon. Mikuru is her dress-up doll, Itsuki is her yes man, and Yuki is her club's fixture. Kyon is the only person that really challenges her authority and expectations. The other three are becoming less like tools to Haruhi because Kyon is helping them to grow...

At least, this is my opinion of things. Your observations may differ.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Spoiler! :
I think we can all agree that Kyon wins by looking at this!
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Guest lol wrote:
Spoiler! :
I think we can all agree that Kyon wins by looking at this!
:?:
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Umiman wrote: :?:
I'm not sure if you haven't been following the thread, or if you aren't familar with Superman. :lol:
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Dan wrote:
Umiman wrote: :?:
I'm not sure if you haven't been following the thread, or if you aren't familar with Superman. :lol:
I've been following only that which is legible in this thread, most of it is just pure biased speculation formed on the basis of wanting something to be true. I.e: If you believe a number to have great significance, you will find 3000 reasons why. =/
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

I've been following only that which is legible in this thread, most of it is just pure biased speculation formed on the basis of wanting something to be true.
Most of life is speculation and perspective. We're only capable of dealing with a world which we can rationalize in our own minds. When a plot and story are not explained in full, we must fill in the rest.

This is a requirement for suspenseful fiction: the reader is required, at some point, to attempt to fill in the gaps in knowledge by himself based on elements of the story he is reading.

To dismiss our efforts at understanding as "pure speculation" is more condescending than anything. Perhaps you have a more true and insightful understanding of the novels than we lesser beings? :)
on the basis of wanting something to be true.
Perhaps it is less that we want it to be true, and more that it is in fact true?

You never know, until the author himself speaks out.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Why take everything posted seriously? Judging by the image can't you see that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously? Sure, I believe that Kyon is actually the god behind the novels, but it doesn't mean that I can't post a image like that. It's related to the discussion after all ;)
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Eh, I think you're reading too much into what I said. I only want to read what is the facts so I can form my own speculations. That's it. Not like any of you guys are wrong or anything. :)

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”