Does anyone think Haruhi's personality is just a cover-up?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

Another flaming tsundere would be Louise from Zero no Tsukaima.

She's even worse than Haruhi. I can't count the number of times that, in the anime, she kicks Saito in the balls, only to basically throw herself at him later.

On crack, for sure, but funny.

Maybe this is proactive birth control on her part...
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Narusegawa from Love Hina. Just thought about how bad she is with Keitaro. :D
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Wouldn't tsundere apply to almost every single mainstream female lead character in anime history?
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

You've got a point there... :|
Symphonia
Astral Realm

Post by Symphonia »

Got it in one Umiman. :P It's a bit of a character trend in anime at the moment. One man's tsundere is another man's loli I guess. :roll: :P
Armanewb
Astral Realm

Post by Armanewb »

Guest lol wrote:"Yes, I will lull all the monsters to sleep. Wait.. why are the growling and advancing?"
Something along the lines of: "whoops, wrong note..."
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Beldandy from AMG wasn't a tsundere ;) I named 1!
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi. I named #2
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Miharu from Girls Bravo #3. :P All the episodes after 9 work fine, I can read now! 8)
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Yuna from Maburaho for #4.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Rena from Higurashi.... Er wait, attempting to kill the male lead on top of the roof isn't tsundere, right?

So, Rena for non-Tsundere #5?
/me claws out throat and dies
fanatic
Astral Realm

Post by fanatic »

Raising a battle cry as she swung the Student Council room door wide open, there was no mistaking the master as she released a voice that easily exceeded 100 decibels. The voice that made rippling vibrations on my eardrums kept going on.

"You quack of a Student Council President! What do you think you're doing, shutting away three of my loyal servants in such a place! I would've found out sooner or later, but if it was something so interesting, you should have told me first! And what did you do? You couldn't have been bullying Yuki, could you? It'd be okay if it were just Kyon, but if it's Yuki, I totally won't allow it! I'll beat you senseless and toss you from the window to the pool!"
and a little later,
While looking at Haruhi, who, for some reason, seemed to be as delighted as she was angry
I cannot find it in myself to think this behavior is 'mere' acting.

Just letting her guard down once or twice does not mean she is 'fake'. Everyone has their ups and downs and people tend to act differently depending on their mood. Someone acting the EXACT same way ALL THE TIME is UNNATURAL and BIZARRE.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

Haruhi is a disturbingly intelligent girl who is, for the most part, living a life without challenges. Anyone will tell you that geniuses are bored very, very easily. She views any threat, no matter how minute, as the greatest enemy to her entire existence... so that she can devote all her energy into enjoying crushing it.

Any challenge, no matter how small, is something she can pounce on. The more elaborate, the better. If it's not a conspiracy, it will become one. She gleans as much fun as possible from the trouble she cuts.

When life hands her lemons, she declares war on Spain... that kind of thing.

As for Kyon, Haruhi likely doesn't know where to begin. What does a girl like she is, who doesn't believe in the concept of love, to do? Throwing herself at him is out of the question, subtle ploys are beneath her, and she has no experience at one-on-one relationship building with men.

The only things Kyon has going for him, I would assume, are his willingness to put up with her and the memory in his heart of a time where he believed in the impossibilities she keeps trying to uncover.

Something has to happen.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Yes but love between could very well lead to the ending of the series. I mean, sure you can continue the story with the love in blossom, but I feel that Nagaru is planning to have the actual love in the final volume with a climactic event following it. But still, I guess you can have Haruhi in love openly with Kyon, it'd just change her character.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

Haruhi in love is a scarry thought. No really it is. :P

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”