Kyons name/nickname

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

... (correction)

Post by shichinanatsu »

i think i got something wrong on my last post..

anyways.. may 5 is the last day of golden week.. so that'd mean kyon was talking about may 6 as a wednesday in the time line of SHnY..

btw, Smidge204, were you talking about the SOS Dan treasure hunt in Suzumiya Haruhi no Inbou when you mentioned that Feb14 is a monday?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Yes, and I realize it would technically be Feb. of the next year, but it still doesn't work. :)

=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Smidge204 wrote:Yes, and I realize it would technically be Feb. of the next year, but it still doesn't work. :)

=Smidge=
why do you have to ruin everything... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Gluttony
Astral Realm

Post by Gluttony »

so that we know that the nickname Kyon originated from his real name and his real name is somewhat royal we should soon be able to know his real name^^
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Kyonidus.
Vanilla
Astral Realm

Post by Vanilla »

Has anyone ever seen Fruits Basket (Furubu)?
Kyo's nickname is Kyon there... So, by any chance, could it be that Kyon's real name is Kyo? ô.o
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, according to a comment made by Sasaki, Kyon's real name seems to be something "royal" sounding or elaborate.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

AuraTwilight wrote:Well, according to a comment made by Sasaki, Kyon's real name seems to be something "royal" sounding or elaborate.
Hmm.... I vaguely recall something like that. Where is it (or the exact quote)?
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Oh god, I wouldn't be able to find an exact quote, but it's during one of Kyon's flashbacks to middle school, and after commenting on his name, I think they rambled onto the discussion about how it's vaguely possible for a person to phase through walls, or that fiction becoming real would make them documentaries.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

Suzumiya Haruhi: Volume 9 Prologue wrote:"So this is how Kyon's name came about. So how do you write it out? Ah. Don't tell me first. Let me try and predict it."

The enthusiastic Sasaki thought for a while, before laughing out loud.

"Is this how it is written?"

After saying that, she picked up her mechanical pencil and started writing on the notebook. After seeing what she wrote, I let out a gasp of surprise. Sasaki wrote my name pretty accurately.

"Can you tell me the reason why you have such a royal and imposing name?"

And so I told her the reason, which my father told me when I asked him when I was still young, verbatim.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Setherzam wrote:
Suzumiya Haruhi: Volume 9 Prologue wrote:"Can you tell me the reason why you have such a royal and imposing name?"

And so I told her the reason, which my father told me when I asked him when I was still young, verbatim.
You'd think that line would silence the few who still hold fast to the idea that his real name really is "John Smith", but noooo...

I'm betting his name will be the same as a previous emperor, or someone historical from an important family, but frankly, we haven't really gotten any hard evidence except the above quote, and that's not enough at all to pin anything down. It's possible everyone's favorite sneering "Itsuki" of a time traveler gave us a clue in picking "Fujiwara" as the "name" he decided on, as a dig at Kyon, as the Fujiwara clan is a noble house with a long history of producing fairly important people, particularly a number of regents and wives/consorts of Japanese emperors.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, what are some supposedly royal and imposing names in Japanese? I have tried to break down names whenever possible to discover their full meaning, but I have yet to see/hear of one that sounds royal and imposing. Most of them are about nature or something that I would never name my child after, but at least they usually make sense and sound mostly humble.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

quigonkenny wrote:
Setherzam wrote:
You'd think that line would silence the few who still hold fast to the idea that his real name really is "John Smith", but noooo...

I like the name! Its the name of my favourite beer!

:)

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

onizuka-gto wrote:I like the name! Its the name of my favourite beer!
Maybe he's named Bud Weiser? It is the King of Beers, and I guess the poor flavor could be considered "imposing"... ^_^
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

Bud Weiser is dirt compared to Heino.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”