Honorifics

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Honorifics

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Since they aren't used in this translation, I am kind of curious as to the honorifics used by the characters. I was wondering if anyone who remembers might mind telling me:

What honorifics does Kyon generally use for Nagato, Mikuru, and Haruhi?

In Book 4, when Kyon finally finds Haruhi, which honorifics does he use for her when he calls her Haruhi and Suzumiya?

What honorific does Koizumi use towards Kyon?
Symphonia
Astral Realm

Post by Symphonia »

Honorifics have been used in the translation....haven't they? Which part haven't they been used?

Kyon refers to them as Nagato, Asahina-san, Koizumi and Haruhi respectively. Haruhi was just Suzumiya before the ponytail incident.

In volume 4, if I recall correctly, Kyon called her 'Haruhi' when he found her which annoyed her so he used Suzumiya for a bit to pacify her.

As for Koizumi....has he ever even referred to Kyon by name in the text?

Edit: Oh, if you mean that honorifics aren't put in for when Kyon calls Haruhi "Haruhi", then that's not them being left untranslated, it's just that Kyon simply calls her Haruhi. Same with Nagato and Koizumi. Remember that not using honorifics can hold as much significance in itself as a honorific can.
Last edited by Symphonia on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I thought he told Koizumi to shut up in the character cds
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

There is at least one point where the Student Council President calls Kimidori "Kimidori-kun" (喜緑くん, page 19) but the "kun" is not translated, and a few lines later someone calls her "Kimidori-san" (喜緑さん, page 20) but the ending is changed to "senpai" in the translation.

Other than that, I've really yet so see the honorifics missing.

I thought "kun" was reserved pretty much for boys, though?
=Smidge=
Symphonia
Astral Realm

Post by Symphonia »

I've heard that "kun" gets used for women quite often in the workplace....equal opportunities and all that. In anime a lot of stereotypical "school council president" guy characters seem to use "kun" when referring to their subordinates - male or female. Maybe it's supposed to give them that air of pretentiousness? =p
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I don't know anything about Japanese, but I've come under the impression that "-kun" can refer to a younger person/lower status in a kind way, but it is not so personal as "-chan".
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

That certainly explains it!

=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Smidge204 wrote:That certainly explains it!

=Smidge=
Omedentou to your enlightment.

Took your time. :roll:

:p
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

That's funny coming from someone who's complaining about how he's too busy to ask anyone what a poster says (which they'd probably tell you immediately), but not too busy to spend several minutes taking pictures of said posters.

Omedentou to your enlightenment, BTW :D
=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

wednesday work morning are boooooring.... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Tuesday lazy nights are booooooring... Send nekkid pix Oni-kun!
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Man, you better not be implying nekkid pics of oni.

Days are never that boring when you're half insane and can have fun with only your mind and a few things around you!
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

everything is funny at 4 am in the morning
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Weird, since I didn't see any honorifics, I assumed that they just weren't being translated, not that they weren't there at all. Knowing that certainly makes a few things much more clear. Thank you.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Symphonia wrote:As for Koizumi....has he ever even referred to Kyon by name in the text?
Knowing Itsuki's character, maybe the reason why we don't hear him referring to Kyon by "name" (or at least not often, if he has at all) is that he refers to Kyon by his real name, and the narration "edits" it out. We've never been given any reason to think that no one in the story knows Kyon's real name. After all, he did introduce himself to his class within a page of the first chapter, so it's safe to believe that at least Haruhi, Taniguchi, and Kunikida are familiar with his real name. And with Itsuki's connections, there's no way he isn't as well.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”