Haruhi is great, thanks to all translators!

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Apeiron
Astral Realm

Haruhi is great, thanks to all translators!

Post by Apeiron »

Hey everyone,

I registered to the forum just to thank you all very very much for translating the Haruhi series. I have read only the first book, and seen the anime series.

The rest of the books I'm saving for this summer. I will go to excavate in Romania, with absolutely no entertainment there available. Nothing at all. Just the Romanian countryside, with no internet, no telephone, no television, nothing.

So...I put all the Haruhi books on my iPod. Now let's hope Book 9 is finished within the next two months or so :wink:

Anyway, these books will really help me get through fieldwork this summer. Thanks so much for doing all this work!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Romania ho!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yay for more Haruhi lovers!

So you are going to Romania, eh? I've been there, too. I loved it. Exactly, if you don't mind, are you going to excavate? I mean, a lot of ruins and stuff exist there, but there is so much more, too, i.e., fossils, etc. Also, I hope you can get internet there and stuff. I remember in some of the larger cities and sometimes some smaller towns you could. Who knows, these things are always changing. It was cool and fun.
Apeiron
Astral Realm

Post by Apeiron »

Excavating only I'm afraid. I will not have a car there, and no other means of transportation (I simply lack the money to use a cab or much public transportation, and I hardly have any time as I need to work a lot). Hopefully I'll visit Romania another time.

I'm sure there's no internet, and not even a telephone line, where I'll be staying. It really is the countryside, hours away from cities. It's clearly stated in the project description that participants need to be able to keep themselves busy. With an iPod Video 80 GB, and an iPod Photo 20 GB full of audiobooks, lectures, music, video's and of course texts (filmscripts, articles) that'll be no problem for me. The 8 Haruhi books are a great addition to this, and perhaps I'll be able to bring the 9th one too :D
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, I hope your excavation goes well then. By the sound of it, is it a school project by chance? I do not mean to be nosy or anything; it is just that these kinds of things interest me. Also, I hope you can find a decent power source as well, especially because I do not know how the outlets in Romania stack up to those in the Netherlands...different shapes and all.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Apeiron wrote:Excavating only I'm afraid. I will not have a car there, and no other means of transportation (I simply lack the money to use a cab or much public transportation, and I hardly have any time as I need to work a lot). Hopefully I'll visit Romania another time.

I'm sure there's no internet, and not even a telephone line, where I'll be staying. It really is the countryside, hours away from cities. It's clearly stated in the project description that participants need to be able to keep themselves busy. With an iPod Video 80 GB, and an iPod Photo 20 GB full of audiobooks, lectures, music, video's and of course texts (filmscripts, articles) that'll be no problem for me. The 8 Haruhi books are a great addition to this, and perhaps I'll be able to bring the 9th one too :D

seems like your be worried more about how your going to charge those devices then what's on them. :p

I like this portable solar cells and motion dynamo chargers, strapped to your backpack/shoulders.

works a treat when all the sockets on the portable generators been taken up by more vital equipment and your batteries on yuor devices are threatening to go.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Apeiron
Astral Realm

Post by Apeiron »

ainsoph9 -

It is a project ran by several British Universities. There's staff from Kings College (University of London) and from Cambridge. I'll be the only Dutchie there (I'm a student at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands).

onizuka-gto -

Yes, charging them is my main concern. They're filled up pretty well with e-books and audiobooks, so I won't be bored as long as they keep working. iPods charge on a widely ranging voltage, so that's good news. In the Netherlands we use 220 V, but 180 or something would work fine too. I also have this universal travel-plug thing, but I haven't found a plug that says 'Romania' or 'Balkan' or 'Eastern Europe'. There's plugs for the USA, Australia, Italy etc. though. I'm guessing they have the same plugs as we have, or perhaps one of the plugs just doesn't say Romania while it can be used there.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

I will use this post to give my thanks to Baka-Tsuki for a job well done,the novels were great,and im grateful that u guyz translated it for the non-japanese speakers.

Keep up the good work.

P.S:dunno if this changes anything but im romanian:)
mingz
Astral Realm

Post by mingz »

fiendmaw wrote:I will use this post to give my thanks to Baka-Tsuki for a job well done,the novels were great,and im grateful that u guyz translated it for the non-japanese speakers.

Keep up the good work.

P.S:dunno if this changes anything but im romanian:)
me too =) thanks!!
Omio
Astral Realm

Post by Omio »

Indeed, a load of thanks has to go to the translators. But don't forget the Editors. We all do a lot of work - even those of us who aren't recognised.

Heck, the Author should recieve the maximum out of it all. (Cannot remember his name because my brain is dying from reality peeps being so stupid) But I can agree that this book is awesome.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Omio wrote:Heck, the Author should recieve the maximum out of it all. (Cannot remember his name because my brain is dying from reality peeps being so stupid) But I can agree that this book is awesome.
Tanigawa Nagaru. It's right on the front page.

'-_-
mingz
Astral Realm

Post by mingz »

Jumpyshoes wrote:
Omio wrote:Heck, the Author should recieve the maximum out of it all. (Cannot remember his name because my brain is dying from reality peeps being so stupid) But I can agree that this book is awesome.
Tanigawa Nagaru. It's right on the front page.

'-_-
whats his email?
I want to thanks him personally :lol:
SomethingDifferent
Astral Realm

Post by SomethingDifferent »

I'm aware that this is necromancy, but I too would like to express my gratitude to the translators who worked to get this on the Internet. I truly appreciate it. Even the parts I didn't really understand.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

SomethingDifferent wrote:I'm aware that this is necromancy...
Eh, don't worry about it. Half the topics here that are more than a month old have at least a week or two of downtime somewhere in them. This is hardly the first or the worst case of topic necrophilia on the site.

That said, I don't think this is a topic where anyone is going to be complaining about it reopening. Banzai, translators and editors! Banzai!
Serva
Astral Realm

Post by Serva »

Since the topic is here, I'd like to take this post in order to thank Baka-Tsuki for such a wonderful job on the series as well.

I'm not usually the novel reading type, but it didn't stop me from killing a volumn of Haruhi a day.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

I would also like to thank the translators, and I really hope the idiot localizers never decide to license this wonderful series.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”