Strato's Japanese -> English Translation

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

velocity7
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by velocity7 »

@cotton: For the record, a Japanese > English translation gets more details out of what the original author intended as opposed to a Japanese > Chinese > English translation.

@Strato: The link I posted for you was mostly for reference, so that you could see the discussion at hand. Your opinions and comments were appreciated, but as Onizuka-GTO and you have said, your first posts might have come off as a bit harsh.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

I don't know what's going on but let me go on record by saying: I personally have nothing against Strato or his translations. In fact, I welcome him to come and correct any mistakes the other translators make. The wiki is there for the translations to evolve.

So if I said anything that upsets anyone, I do apologize. (Though I don't recall ever saying anything offensive, but no excuses for me. :D )
harunako
Astral Realm

Post by harunako »

I am so saddened by the overheated debate between the Baka-tsuki translators and Strato-san.

My two cents on the issue, basing on my three gruelsome years of translating Juuni Kokki:

It is not a question as simple as who is right or wrong, or "translating to the words" versus "translating the soul". Translation itself is a task without consensus: nobody can never make a perfect translation from one language to another. The art of translation is always on the balance of speed and accruacy.

Which brings to the real question: what this project called Baka-tsuki Haruhi Translation Project is aiming for? better speed or better accruacy? People like me or Strato-san, who have a bigger inclination towards literal accruacy, would definitely feel upset (putting it in a mild way) if something is not "expressed right." We would like to show our perceived truth of the original Haruhi text, just like any other true Haruhi fan would do if someone dares to frame Haruhi as "yet another worthless series on lollis".

I would be honest here: Unfortunately, this does not fit into the Haruhi wiki operation model.

Haruhi wiki impressed me as being a quick, collaborative translation effort, catering to the Haruhi audience who want a quick understanding of what happens next. I have translated (mostly) alone on Juuni Kokki for three years, and I must say it is painful for both readers and the translator to suffer from sporadic updates at best, and to wait for a whole freaking year just for one book to be translated. My experience tells me that a literally accurate translation that fits my eye would be too much of a tiring slow motion. (So has Strato-san made the resolution when he started his quest for his true Haruhi.)

We run for speed, but unfortunately literal accuracy will be sacrificed. We have tried our very best, but the translation will never meet the most vigorous accuracy test on the first try.

The conclusion is that both Strato-san and the Baka-tsuki translators are rightful in the claims, and are actually running towards the same goal: to introduce our perception of Haruhi to the audience. We just choose our own models to best get our mission across. It is sad that we run into arguments instead of appreciation and mutual support.

As suggestions:
- The first version of translations is never perfect. While we should celebrate the completion of the first book, we should not stop refining the translated text, putting out better revised versions. (Many translators have expressed the same opinion before.)
- We celebrate any serious search for a truer Haruhi, and should take an accommodating attitude on criticisms from translators working on different models. (All translators have actually stressed exactly this in their response.)
- While Strato-san is right in his belief, we as Baka-tsuki translators should understand our mission and operation model, as well as the model's shortcomings. Any criticism that would not fit our model, we can only say "Sorry, but we can only do so much."
- Strato-san is criticizing on our operating model, not accusing any particular translator for incompetence. That would be my stance.

Hope that would cool both sides a little. :)
Vexx
Astral Realm

Post by Vexx »

Just joined the forum. I won't pretend I'm anywhere near as good as most of the translators here and if I have anything to contribute, it'll mostly be tweak suggestions.

My philosophy tends to run in a "two pass" mode (I'm currently working on a couple of manga series for exercise). First I do a "literal translation" -- as basic a transmogrification into English as possible: grammar and word. Second, I do a "how would the character have said this in English given their background, education, age, etc. and are there implied portions of the speech that English would need." --- since we all know japanese tends toward economy in speech. That second pass is where all the fighting between interpreters usually happens.

I think both passes are useful to different readers for a variety of reasons.

Well.. for now I'll just follow along. I have the books, I have Stratos version and I have the latest copies of this group's version.... no doubt I'll be pulling my hair out quietly at some of the choices made by either or scratching my head at what the original meant.

thanks to all for the work so far though.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

no. Thank you Vexx, for downloading our version. I hope you find it just as helpful as strato's version.

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Vexx wrote: My philosophy tends to run in a "two pass" mode (I'm currently working on a couple of manga series for exercise). First I do a "literal translation" -- as basic a transmogrification into English as possible: grammar and word. Second, I do a "how would the character have said this in English given their background, education, age, etc. and are there implied portions of the speech that English would need." --- since we all know japanese tends toward economy in speech. That second pass is where all the fighting between interpreters usually happens.

I think both passes are useful to different readers for a variety of reasons.
I've been struggling to find the right words to describe my approach until I've read your well-written analysis here. So thank you very much. :lol:

I would have to say my approach was towards the second one. Like how Koizumi would sound elegantly polite and how Yuki tends to use brief, scientific-sounding words, to name a few examples.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”