Question about Ep 9 "Someday in the rain" and the

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ryvrdrgn15
Astral Realm

Question about Ep 9 "Someday in the rain" and the

Post by ryvrdrgn15 »

Could someone kindly let me know which volume/chapter this event happened at?

It's episode 9, Someday in the rain. It's when Kyon gets a heater for the club room. Well, chronologically speaking it'd be the last episode in the anime.

Thanks for any help. ^_^
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Never happened it the series. KyoAni just added it.
ryvrdrgn15
Astral Realm

Post by ryvrdrgn15 »

Ah, thanks. I was trying to look for it in the novels. O_o;

I hope that it was at least an author-approved/written episode. Though nothing significant happened in it (it was as normal as a normal day could get compared to the other episodes), I felt it still fit in okay with the rest of the story. ^_^
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

it was a filler ep-zeh, the animators got lazy or something
Falco
Astral Realm

Post by Falco »

It was actually a short story he never published, not something just made up by Kyo.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Falco wrote:It was actually a short story he never published, not something just made up by Kyo.
Source?
pxstg
Astral Realm

Post by pxstg »

He's credited with the script in the end credits unlike in the rest of the episodes, so it seems to be directly his (rather than an adaptation). I don't know about it being a short story though, in fact it feels as though it was specifically written for TV because the anime format allows the show to slip away from Kyon's narration and show things that happen when he's not around to see them. It would be tougher to do that type of thing in a novel where everything is continuously from Kyon's perspective.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Yea, I thought that too. Also, how are you supposed to have a short story where nothing happens? I think the shortest short story is like 20 pages. You can't have 20 pages of nothing.
ryvrdrgn15
Astral Realm

Post by ryvrdrgn15 »

Thanks for the info! It was really bothering me when I found out I had no idea where in the novel that episode came from. I actually went through all of them and searched for the word 'heater'. O_o;

As long as it's from the author it's good with me! ^_^

The drama CDs also have a good story so I'd recommend listening to it if you can figure the story out or find a subbed/translated version.
Spoiler! :
It's set after the cultural festival. Haruhi finally forced all the brigade members to be in a band. They practice and even try out for auditions to a concert. It's pretty funny and it has a good ending.
Last edited by ryvrdrgn15 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deesies
Astral Realm

Post by Deesies »

From what I've read, it was purposely made uninteresting to contrast with how most anime tends to end climactically, this being the chronological last episode.

Either that or to contrast with the last episode of the anachronologically order of the series.
ryvrdrgn15
Astral Realm

Post by ryvrdrgn15 »

I think it was a good ending if you look at it chronologically. Considering there are at least two more seasons worth of episodes that they can do (book 4 onwards and books 9 & 10), having a normal day to finish it off the first season is fine.

This normal ending is tons better than some climax endings I've seen in other shows. >_>; It's an ending that shows that everything is alright with the world for the time being. The calm before the next storm? ^_^;

OT:

The best part about the anime is that I felt like I was watching a movie throughout all the episodes. The quality of the animation, art, and everything was really great. Most anime movies aren't made that well. I hope it's maintained if they make a second season. O_o
Deesies
Astral Realm

Post by Deesies »

Yea, I found it rather relaxing to watch and I sometimes still watch it before bed if I'm feeling melancholy. Granted I usually skip all the bits where nothing is happening and it's just yuki in the room but it's still good to watch :)
ryvrdrgn15
Astral Realm

Post by ryvrdrgn15 »

Deesies wrote:Yea, I found it rather relaxing to watch and I sometimes still watch it before bed if I'm feeling melancholy. Granted I usually skip all the bits where nothing is happening and it's just yuki in the room but it's still good to watch :)
Hmm, now that you mentioned it, I'll go make a version of it with a bit of that idle scene cut out to make it better. I'll save me trouble moving the slider whenever I want to watch it. Either that or replace the audio with a track from one of the songs I like. O_o

Oh, now that I looked at the episode yet again (the Nagato book reading part was around 3 minutes and 15 seconds - including the brief Kyon-in-train scene in the middle), I have another question to those who took interest in the episode.

I initially thought that it was Mikuru who had placed the first cardigan on Kyon while he was sleeping (Haruhi's cardigan was second ontop of the first one). This is because Mikuru is always nice to Kyon and she was the one who gave him the scarf earlier in the episode.

After I looked at it more closely, Nagato did stand up right after Kyon fell asleep and Kyon looked at Nagato's empty seat when he was wondering who the first cardigan belonged to, so I got to thinking maybe it was Nagato who had placed it there (Nagato did have a cardigan on). I just have to ask cause I never thought once in a million years that Nagato would go and do something like that. I don't recall Nagato doing a nice small gesture like that in the novels either (not saying that she's bad or anything, just that it's not like her to do so). O_o;
an Engrish speaker
Astral Realm

Post by an Engrish speaker »

That episode is a original story officially written by Tanigawa Nagaru only for the anime series. 8)
It is assumed to be a pre-prologue for the vol.4. (in the episode it was winter, same as vol4, and Nagato's behaviors are more human-like) That's why many people expect the 2nd Haruhi anime might be based on vol.4. Many people said KyoAni was lazy on the episode, but I think if you watch it as the pre-prologue and think it was created to describe Nagato's changes, it was one of the best stories. I like this episode the most. :D
ryvrdrgn15
Astral Realm

Post by ryvrdrgn15 »

an Engrish speaker wrote:That episode is a original story officially written by Tanigawa Nagaru only for the anime series. 8)
It is assumed to be a pre-prologue for the vol.4. (in the episode it was winter, same as vol4, and Nagato's behaviors are more human-like) That's why many people expect the 2nd Haruhi anime might be based on vol.4. Many people said KyoAni was lazy on the episode, but I think if you watch it as the pre-prologue and think it was created to describe Nagato's changes, it was one of the best stories. I like this episode the most. :D
I see, so that explains it! Given that reasoning, it certainly clears up some questions I had about it and it does give a better reason why Nagato would act the way she did. I never thought it was a bad episode even if it had 3+ minutes of a nearly static scene.

I can clearly see the animation quality didn't go down there, they still animated shadows and clothes wrinkles very well. Even foregrounds and backgrounds. At the station normally they'd keep everything static, but the girl in front of Kyon (while he was waiting for the train) even moved around and inside the train the two girls were talking. They even animated clothes while Kyon was sitting alone in the train (going back).

I've seen a lot of animator cheats (shortcuts) in other shows, but I can't say this episode was poorly made because I could still make out those little details. ^_^

I just hope they put just as much effort in the second season and I hope they at least include the Valentine's day story too. XD

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”