Type of tea in Endless Eights

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Type of tea in Endless Eights

Post by Beware the talking cat »

As such, I was touched beyond words at being able to enjoy Asahina-san’s hand-made club sandwiches, such that I couldn't distinguish whether they tasted bad or not. Basically, anything she makes is great. For that matter, even the warm Japanese Tea that she poured forth from her thermos, although not a good match for the sandwich, was truly heavenly. Even the sweet drops of dew from her body made me feel refreshed.

I am rather curious; for those who have the original text, does it specify what type of tea it is, or is it just Japanese green tea without any further details.

Because of the "even" applied to the tea, I expect he is saying it was an inexpensive tea she was serving, probably sencha.

Am I correct in this, or just completely off?

Thank you

Edit: Speaking of Endless Eights, I think I just found a discrepancy.
Haruhi unveiled an aluminium bat, the very battered one that was taken from some baseball club one day. I never would've thought that she would keep the battered bat, which was better for bludgeoning than hitting balls.
Didn't Kyon sell that bat?
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

He did sell teh bat, yes. At least it's suggested he did... the coach for the Pirates asks him how much he's willing to sell it for, and a fwe paragraphs later he mentions a large sum of money that had appeared in his pocket...

As for the tea: The original paragraph is:
そういうわけで朝比奈さんハンドメイドのミックスサンドは感動的な味で、おかげで美味《うま》いのかどうかも解らないくらいだ。もう何でもいい。手ずから注《つ》いでくれたポットの熱い日本茶も、サンドイッチには全然合っていなかったがまるっきりのノープロブレム、吹《ふ》き出す汗《あせ》も心なしか清々《すがすが》しくすらあった。
I believe the key part is 日本茶 (にほんちゃ) = "Japanese Tea"
=Smidge=
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Thank you.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”