A Kyon x Haruhi Pair up will never happen.

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

A Kyon x Haruhi Pair up will never happen.

Post by Haiyami »

Okay after analyzing the Haruhi Novels for the 5tth time I've come to this conclusion. Kyon will never ask Haruhi out. Why? You can tell in the way he speaks. His whole narrative speaks of these events as if they were the past and that he is now disconnected from. This how it seems to me. You also can kinda see hints in the prologue. Though i ddon't think takigawa thought that far ahead when he wrote the prologue. But it just gives me the feeling that when Kyon is telling his story to the reader it gives the feeling that Haruhi is no longer around.

Look carefully within the novel and aside from the flashbacks Kyon talks abut, over all there will be some places where the narration goes into past tense even though its about events happening at hte moment its happening or something like that. I can't explain it well.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

I completely understand what you are saying. It is almost as if Kyon is giving Haruhi's eulogy at her funeral or something. It does make one wonder if the time frame that Kyon is telling the story from is the distant future compared to when the actual events occur. At the same time, I get the feeling that the time frame from which Kyon is telling the story is always shifting, almost as if he is relating the events as a result of them just finishing in a way.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

It's definitely being told from a future perspective, but I always saw it as him looking back on how they met. Thinking about it, I see what you mean. If he was telling the story as an adult reminiscing about his childhood romance with a women he's currently involved with, why would he get embarrassed and deny his feelings? Of course the other possibility is that the narrator isn't that far i the future. It's possible the version of Kyon we're hearing from is him as a high school senior near graduation, and the final book/final chapter of the last book will cover him in the "now" giving closure to his relationship with her.... if that makes sense.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

The whole story is told as a narrative. It helps if you imagine the narrative being related to you by an older Kyon sitting in an executive-style leather chair next to a fireplace like Alistair Cooke (complete with smoking jacket and pile of dusty books).

I fail to see why this excludes the pairing though. I'm really not the type to care about the romantic aspects of the stories, but in this case I think the match up is somewhat important... the fate of the universe may depend on it.
=Smidge=
Omio
Astral Realm

Post by Omio »

...We could be, as semi-quoted above, listening on a future Kyon's point of view. However, something tells me th...

...Nevermind, that's too much conjecture.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

This is mindless speculation as far as I'm concerned.

He could hook up with any three of the girls in the group at this point, and who he will choose isn't apparent other than tiny clues.

And Haruhi's coup de grace of being key to the storyline......
HAL9000
Astral Realm

Post by HAL9000 »

Haiyami wrote:Okay after analyzing the Haruhi Novels for the 5tth time I've come to this conclusion. Kyon will never ask Haruhi out. Why? You can tell in the way he speaks. His whole narrative speaks of these events as if they were the past and that he is now disconnected from. This how it seems to me. You also can kinda see hints in the prologue. Though i ddon't think takigawa thought that far ahead when he wrote the prologue. But it just gives me the feeling that when Kyon is telling his story to the reader it gives the feeling that Haruhi is no longer around.

Look carefully within the novel and aside from the flashbacks Kyon talks abut, over all there will be some places where the narration goes into past tense even though its about events happening at hte moment its happening or something like that. I can't explain it well.
See, I don't get that sense at all. At times, yes, Kyon is relating things as though they are past events. However, there are various other instances where he seems to be addressing the reader as though events the events are happening in his present. Moreoever, some of his reactions, although structured to use the past tense, seem as though he's actively feeling and reacting to things going on right now. (See Asakura's first appearance in volume 4 for a particularly delicious example.)
Smidge204 wrote:The whole story is told as a narrative. It helps if you imagine the narrative being related to you by an older Kyon sitting in an executive-style leather chair next to a fireplace like Alistair Cooke (complete with smoking jacket and pile of dusty books).

I fail to see why this excludes the pairing though. I'm really not the type to care about the romantic aspects of the stories, but in this case I think the match up is somewhat important... the fate of the universe may depend on it.
=Smidge=
I think this series is a little too "meta" to properly call it a "narrative". But now that's just a vocabulary nitpick.
IrishHaremOtaku wrote:This is mindless speculation as far as I'm concerned.
And? :|
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Omio wrote:However, something tells me th...

...Nevermind, that's too much conjecture.
Please, by all means, conject away!
HAL9000 wrote:See, I don't get that sense at all. At times, yes, Kyon is relating things as though they are past events. However, there are various other instances where he seems to be addressing the reader as though events the events are happening in his present. Moreoever, some of his reactions, although structured to use the past tense, seem as though he's actively feeling and reacting to things going on right now. (See Asakura's first appearance in volume 4 for a particularly delicious example.)
I don't think the tense is really an issue. When people tell stories and get emotional about it, they can sometimes get "into the moment" a little too much, and dip into present tense. I've done it, and I've seen others do it. I imagine the same can be done in Japanese.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

HAL9000 wrote:
And? :|
In other words, I disagree.

lol
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

eulogy? seems a bit extreme, more like a an anthology of some kind. retelling some of his experiences with the great suzumiya haruhi (who knows she might be famous in the future and he's writing down his experiences in a book?)

I still say he's more affectionate with Yuki O.o
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

eh, He's been affectionate with all three girls lol

But Kyon not hooking up with Haruhi is simply impossible...

Haruhi likes him, and being a goddess, she can make him fall in love with her lol
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

I figure we should just wait and see, instead of speculating like this.

There's plenty of evidence he could choose any of the girls in the series, except for Mikuru.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

There's even evidence for her as well, except that it is impossible given that it would almost certainly be forgiven.

It's obvious that Mikuru likes Kyon though....
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

IrishHaremOtaku wrote:There's even evidence for her as well, except that it is impossible given that it would almost certainly be forgiven.

Yeah, but Mikuru is going to go back to the future (eventually), and I doubt Kyon is going to get with Adult Mikuru, given his dislike of her.
Quiet Lurker
Astral Realm

Post by Quiet Lurker »

IrishHaremOtaku wrote:There's even evidence for her as well, except that it is impossible given that it would almost certainly be forgiven.

Kyon likes Mikuru, but Mikuru does NOT like Kyon.
She would knock Kyon out with a blunt object just because her superiors told her to do so. (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody) :twisted:
(She is 3vil! 3vil I say!)

But seriously let's analyze the market:
Mikuru
Plus: Has HUGE assets powered by COMPOUND interest. :D
Minus: is an airhead -> her future self travelled back in time and made several huge withdraws of favors before the interest matures into something more. :oops:
Analysis: She still has pretty big assets, as long as she doesn't make any more withdraws on the whim she is still in the game.

Yuki
Plus: Invests mostly in bonds and trusts which are both safe and have a steady growth rate. At least two of which are three years mature. We can safely say that she is Kyon's best friend. :wink:
Minus: Bonds and trusts are in friendship currency. The exchange rate between friendship and love does not seem to be very favorable at the moment. :cry:
Analysis: If anything that significantly increase the exchange rate happens, Yuki is almost guaranteed to dominate the market.

Itsuki
Plus: Also invests heavily in friendship units. Any windfall for Yuki is more or less a windfall for Itsuki.
Minus: Invests solely in the stalk market, which traditionally tend to be VERY unstable. :?
Analysis: Hey, it could happen. :lol:

Haruhi
Plus: Invests in all markets. And is the only one to invest directly in the love market in the form of tsundere. :P
Minus:
- Her assets are not as large as Mikuru's and is only powered by a modest interest rate. :roll:
- Her trusts are no where near Yuki's level (Kyon keeps secrets from - Haruhi and vice versa) and the bond between them is arguably weaker.
- She invests in the stalk market but does not have insider trading information. :twisted:
Analysis: Guess we'll have to wait and see, won't we. :wink:

Sasaki is still trying to cash a forged cheque. :)

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”