Yare yare?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:But not "my, my."

Please.
Oh...no. If he's going to be saying "My, my," he might as well start calling Itsuki a "silly goose". Now Itsuki, on the other hand...there's a "My, my" kind of guy for you... ^_^
Thank you... I just had a mental image of Gay Kyon...

I'm going to scrub out my brain now.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

Well, in Ireland we say oi oi sometimes, so yare yare is easily understandable here...
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

yes but we speak english not irish :lol:

just kidding

"oi oi" is as much a colloquialism as saying things like, "that's balla my nizzle," therefore since only one local area (Ireland) would understand it, shouldn't it be more generalized for the sake of us other english speakers who don't understand Irish slang?
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

No, what I'm saying is, that you could leave it as yare yare, because many cultures have sayings where they double a word to say "my my".
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Yare yare?

Post by shichinanatsu »

i just don't understand it.. territorial rights aside, why do they even bother dubbing anime? enlarging the fan base?? i like my anime raw, and i would guess most of everyone else feels the same..

it's not just with kyon's 'yare yare' (his iconic phrase by now).. they even translate some of the insert songs of the seiyu, and it's just damn pointless; shouldn't songs rhyme!?
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Umm...but does raw not imply that there are no subs? I think that most of us still want those, at least those who are not entirely fluent in Japanese yet.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

shichinanatsu wrote:i just don't understand it.. territorial rights aside, why do they even bother dubbing anime? enlarging the fan base?? i like my anime raw, and i would guess most of everyone else feels the same..

it's not just with kyon's 'yare yare' (his iconic phrase by now).. they even translate some of the insert songs of the seiyu, and it's just damn pointless; shouldn't songs rhyme!?
A few years ago, dubbed anime was HUGE in the states. Dubbing companies haven't quite learned that it isn't as popular anymore.

What I'd like to see is them creating professional, accurate subs, like fansub groups do.

When a.f.k. can create better subs in a week than Bandai can in a month, something is wrong.
troqu
Astral Realm

Post by troqu »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
shichinanatsu wrote:i just don't understand it.. territorial rights aside, why do they even bother dubbing anime? enlarging the fan base?? i like my anime raw, and i would guess most of everyone else feels the same..

A few years ago, dubbed anime was HUGE in the states. Dubbing companies haven't quite learned that it isn't as popular anymore.

What I'd like to see is them creating professional, accurate subs, like fansub groups do.

When a.f.k. can create better subs in a week than Bandai can in a month, something is wrong.
Dubbing would be fine if the VA would learn to properly promote emotion into they're lines. It seems like they think that because they're not seen al that matters is that the lines get read. Which is wrong. That and the horrid amount of localization, no Kyon isn't going to Walmart (made up extreme example, I hope its not true)
Lumbargo
Astral Realm

Post by Lumbargo »

Someone was going on about how I think the method for dubbing varied from Japan to America, with Japan favouring the 'roundtable' style dubbing (that is, they all do it at once, more like acting) whereas America prefers the booth-style dubbing. (Single lines are recorded and mixed together). That probably also has something to do with it...

And then of course there's the simple truth that it's hard to get the right voices for the right characters. The hit-and-miss nature of the official Haruhi dub really exemplifies that...

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”