new season of SHNY

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TwilightLegacy
Astral Realm

new season of SHNY

Post by TwilightLegacy »

it's not like people didn't expect a 2nd season of SHNY. i just wanted to point out that, for those that might not have heard yet, Suzumiya Haruhi is getting some more viral marketing by having its website being taken down.

it's also noted that the copyright for the new season is from 2007-2009, so there is a decent chance that there will be two seasons. also, the new season most likely is going to animate volume 4. time to re-read vol 4 here on BT.

more details here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... s-revealed
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewto ... 2&start=15

A few weeks shy of being new, but thanks for posting it up anyways. 8)
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

It's pretty obvious that the coverage is going to be over volume 4...But 2 seasons? Like back to back? Why don't they just put them together?

I don't think they should be spending a ton of time on volume 4, considering that volume 4 didn't feel a lot like SHNY to me. If they were to only cover volume 4 in an entire season, I doubt (though I can't say for sure) that it will keep my interest the entire season.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Really? I thought that Disappearance was awesome. I remember being on the edge of my seat the entire time because it often looked like there was absolutely no hope for Kyon to return.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Volume 4 is pretty much a cornerstone of the series. It's not nearly as important as, say, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, but it's an important chunk of the setting.

=Smidge=
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Dissapearance was by far the most fun to read,but if I think that the anime only covers volumes 1-4,I feel pity for the ones that dont read the novels and find out the ending.
But hey,they will probably go and watch some ecchi harem anime and forget about the whole thing.
And again,I wish to thank Baka-Tsuki for translating the novels,and to apologise for this completely off-topic post.:D
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Sad to say, that is so true. :lol: I think the anime did a good job overall, but it still does not do the novels justice.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

As long as I get my fix of volume four Yuki, I'll be happy. I've had to made do with R. Dorthy these past couple of week.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

I knew this......months ago...
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

What I WANT is for the second season to cover everything up to Vol.8, but that's probably not going to happen...

I can see them doing everything up to Vol.6, ending it with a (more epic) anime-only episode, and then they can spend the summer season with Full Metal Panic 4.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Why make the series cover so much? I mean, it would dilute the content of the novels if it was not done correctly. I think it would be better to cover less with more depth than to cover too much and not have it make enough sense.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:Why make the series cover so much? I mean, it would dilute the content of the novels if it was not done correctly. I think it would be better to cover less with more depth than to cover too much and not have it make enough sense.
Because if they had 24 episodes to work with they could cover it easily?

And a season composed entirely of Vol. 4 would not be very good?
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Spending an entire season on Volume 4 may work out, if they give us a few made up freebies at the beginning like they did in Season 1.

Also, just to throw this out, they had better not screw up the episode order on the DVD again. That was just annoying...
Matt_TY
Astral Realm

Post by Matt_TY »

I'd guess the Season 1 model is the most likely i.e. we get half a season on Volume 4 and the rest on some short stories. Maybe plot-relevant ones this time like BLR?

As for the DVD order, I've actually experienced both ways of Haruhi continuity (i admit it... I originally watched the episodes in DVD order. But I read the novels in "proper" order so that counts for something, right?) I know it would be difficult to do but I'd like it to contain the choice of ways. Maybe a (click here for next episode chronologically / click here for next broadcast order) menu at the end of each ep? The only problem of course would be deciding what episodes go on which disc. Maybe they could label the discs in both Haruhi and Kyon order, or something.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Watching the anime in the order that the novels were released makes the most sense for sure, but to watch the anime in the TV release order would require you to get all of the special versions of the DVDs. Also, you could not start until volume two came out; so, I do not understand how Matt_TY did this.

As for the number of episodes, I agree with Fushichou. Because the fourth novel was quite in depth, you could get away with making almost an entire season based on that alone.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”