new season of SHNY

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Re: new season of SHNY

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Kinny Riddle wrote:
My point is that, your unreasonable anger is now sounding like that guy because something that you hoped to happened, but was never actually promised to you in ink and handwriting to begin with, did not happen.
I did this with Twilight Princess, too... I thought it would be manna from heaven, was sorely disappointed, and never played the game. Nearly two years later, I'm playing it now with a different mindset and loving it.

I need to learn to stop doing that.
Kinny Riddle wrote: I'll be intrigued, as usual, and then get along with what I was doing. Indiana Jones 4 was in developmental hell for 19 years, but I still went to watch it and enjoyed myself.
The difference here is that Haruhi is pretty much all I care about, so...
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Just ignore all the hype for new releases in pop culture (aka movies, games, books, etc.).

If you go in with no expectations, you'll be thrilled when it's good and won't be disappointed when it sucks, just angry.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:The difference here is that Haruhi is pretty much all I care about, so...
Time to diversify. If you focus too much on one thing, you will always be disappointed when that one thing doesn't live up to your expectations. If you enjoy a number of things, you'll usually have at least one that's going well at any one time. And if by some fluke they're all a bit off, there's always pr0n.

In the meantime, relax. You're gonna bust a blood vessel like this.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:The difference here is that Haruhi is pretty much all I care about, so...
Time to diversify. If you focus too much on one thing, you will always be disappointed when that one thing doesn't live up to your expectations. If you enjoy a number of things, you'll usually have at least one that's going well at any one time. And if by some fluke they're all a bit off, there's always pr0n.

In the meantime, relax. You're gonna bust a blood vessel like this.
I have watched a lot of stuff in the meantime, but nothing is as good as Haruhi.

No, not even Maid Guy or Zetsubou Sensei.

Sure, Clannad is probably better written, but I don't like it nearly as much...
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Kaisos you should check the Toradora! novels Kinny is translating,they're really good.
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:I have watched a lot of stuff in the meantime, but nothing is as good as Haruhi.
And...? That shouldn't mean you can't enjoy other things just the same. If you're looking at everything through Haruhi-colored glasses, you're bound for disappointment. Not everything is Haruhi, even those things that are better.

Try something more dissimilar from Haruhi, like Mushishi, or TTGL, or, hell, whip out your DVDs of Cowboy Bebop and watch them again. (If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop or don't own the DVDs, don't tell me, because I don't want to know—all hope is lost) Or even—gasp!—check out some shows in your native language of (I assume) English. Heroes is notably epic, and the CSI series (save Miami) are always good if you're into that kind of thing.

Bottom line: if you can't move Haruhi to your internal backburner, go cold turkey until we get some new media. No use tearing yourself up dwelling on it until then.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:I have watched a lot of stuff in the meantime, but nothing is as good as Haruhi.
And...? That shouldn't mean you can't enjoy other things just the same. If you're looking at everything through Haruhi-colored glasses, you're bound for disappointment. Not everything is Haruhi, even those things that are better.

Try something more dissimilar from Haruhi, like Mushishi, or TTGL, or, hell, whip out your DVDs of Cowboy Bebop and watch them again. (If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop or don't own the DVDs, don't tell me, because I don't want to know—all hope is lost) Or even—gasp!—check out some shows in your native language of (I assume) English. Heroes is notably epic, and the CSI series (save Miami) are always good if you're into that kind of thing.

Bottom line: if you can't move Haruhi to your internal backburner, go cold turkey until we get some new media. No use tearing yourself up dwelling on it until then.
I actually discovered Soul Eater and read the whole thing last night... epic manga...

And I'm watching Kanon right now, actually.

And no, I've never seen Cowboy Bebop. It's too old and I don't have the money.

Also, working on this kinda makes it hard to forget about Haruhi...
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

cowboy bebop?

too old? dammn you.

besides you don't need money.

it's on the sat/cable channel Anime Central from 9pm running back to back on a Thursday night until 9am

:roll:

It does give me a reason to keep the TV on another channel besides BBC news when im buring the midnight oil, but i think i'm getting too attached to the dub.....

*miss Faye's Japanese seiyuu*

She is so sultry and sexy.....the english one is good, but it just doesn't have the same effect.....

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

agreed.. megumi hayashibara's the princess of all seiyuu..

and since kaisos mentioned it, i just remembered i just have to get a certain pic as my sig..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

onizuka-gto wrote:It does give me a reason to keep the TV on another channel besides BBC news when im buring the midnight oil, but i think i'm getting too attached to the dub.....
No surprise there. Best. Dub. EVAR. And the original Japanese was pretty frickin' sweet to begin with.

I agree with the Megumi Hayashibara love, too. She hasn't done much lately, but she's going to be resurrecting one of her most popular characters next month. Slayers fans rejoice!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:I actually discovered Soul Eater and read the whole thing last night... epic manga...

And I'm watching Kanon right now, actually.

And no, I've never seen Cowboy Bebop. It's too old and I don't have the money.

Also, working on this kinda makes it hard to forget about Haruhi...
Actually, you can get Cowboy Bebop for only about USD $40 now for the entire series. It is becoming that way with a lot of series, especially the classics. Also, some companies are licensing stuff just to throw out a set collection for a series. So, really, it is not a lot of money unless things are really that tight financially for you right now. If they truly are, I feel for you, man. It hurts, seriously.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Best. Dub. EVAR.
I'd rather give that honor to .hack//Sign or Death Note.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Best. Dub. EVAR.
I'd rather give that honor to .hack//Sign or Death Note.
Or FLCL. Can't forget FLCL.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Rurouni Kenshin and *gasp* DBZ (You know you watched it, and hated the original with subs)
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote: I'd rather give that honor to .hack//Sign or Death Note.
Or FLCL. Can't forget FLCL.
Okay, I might give you FLCL, but the Death Note dub, as good as it is, isn't quite up to the level of either of the other two. Haven't seen enough .hack to make a definitive decision on it, but what I remember was good, but not particularly memorable. I'd say off the top of my head Bebop is #1, FLCL is a solid #2, and Trigun is #3. All three of those are arguably as good as if not better than the original Japanese (although I'm sure a native speaker would probably disagree). The rest of my top ten would probably include Lupin the 3rd (Geneon dub), GITS: SAC, Big O, Black Lagoon, Mushishi, FMA, and Death Note, in no particular order.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”