The Count Down Begins?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Re: The Count Down Begins?

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

TUNAFISHISGOOD wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote: No, no we really aren't. There's no more to do with Koizumi than any other volume. Due to the whole parallel universe thing, I see sliders involved.
Yes, there are chances that Sliders were near them the whole time, they just hid themselves so well that other factions, Alien,TT, ESP couldn't detect them.

Or they just appear out of nowhere, Because Haruhi wishes so... anyways, I can't wait.
You ain't the only one...
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

If we don't hear anything about the novel by the first week of March, I doubt it's going to happen coinciding with the release of the new season in April. They need to put out preorder/pickup notices afterall, like they did with the last book.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

typhonsentra wrote:If we don't hear anything about the novel by the first week of March, I doubt it's going to happen coinciding with the release of the new season in April. They need to put out preorder/pickup notices afterall, like they did with the last book.
I doubt there'll be a new season in April if we don't hear anything in the first week of March either.
TUNAFISHISGOOD
Astral Realm

Post by TUNAFISHISGOOD »

If what they are trying to do with season two starter is sync actual days of Tanabata with Haruhi's storyline...they can forget it...Im not waiting that long. It better come out from now between summer.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Agreed

also, roffle on your saturday ava.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

TUNAFISHISGOOD wrote:Yes, there are chances that Sliders were near them the whole time, they just hid themselves so well that other factions, Alien,TT, ESP couldn't detect them.

Or they just appear out of nowhere, Because Haruhi wishes so... anyways, I can't wait.
LOL, I always thought the reason behind the absence of sliders was pretty self-evident. If Haruhi—our Haruhi—created/activated/summoned/whatevered sliders like she did the other factions, where do you think her sliders would be? In other dimensions/timelines, of course, or else they wouldn't be "sliding", would they? We have to wait for the slider of an alternate Haruhi's universe to find this one, and apparently she finally has. If Slider-tan is a slider, we can assume from her conversation that there's an alternate Kyon, at least, in the other dimension/timeline, so we can assume another Haruhi, or least a Haruhi equivalent.
TUNAFISHISGOOD wrote:If what they are trying to do with season two starter is sync actual days of Tanabata with Haruhi's storyline...they can forget it...Im not waiting that long. It better come out from now between summer.
Well, I'm old enough to realize a little more anticipation can be a good thing, and since I fully expect it not to come out this coming season, I'll further assume you won't be watching it when it arrives later. Ah, well... I'll let you know how it turns out... ^_^
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote: Well, I'm old enough to realize a little more anticipation can be a good thing, and since I fully expect it not to come out this coming season, I'll further assume you won't be watching it when it arrives later. Ah, well... I'll let you know how it turns out... ^_^
Hmm. If it won't be out this coming season, then why the director change though? I'm sure Ishihara is just as capable as Takemoto, though they're both good directors.

Although, there being no news on the subject to date...
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

TUNAFISHISGOOD wrote:If what they are trying to do with season two starter is sync actual days of Tanabata with Haruhi's storyline...they can forget it...Im not waiting that long. It better come out from now between summer.
Think of it this way, they regularly show the episodes in reverse so if they started airing the episodes in reverse (Premiering on Monday) and assuming it's another 14 episode season, the first episode would be on April 7th.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

typhonsentra wrote:
Think of it this way, they regularly show the episodes in reverse so if they started airing the episodes in reverse (Premiering on Monday) and assuming it's another 14 episode season, the first episode would be on April 7th.
No, please, no more anachronistic order, please.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

It was interesting if you didn't know the novels at all, but if they did it again it would just be annoying for people trying to watch them correctly.
TUNAFISHISGOOD
Astral Realm

Post by TUNAFISHISGOOD »

But broadcasting out of order is how Haruhi rolls. It's as if Haruhi had arranged the series...and well all know how annoying Haruhi can get (at least to Kyon)
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

TUNAFISHISGOOD wrote:But broadcasting out of order is how Haruhi rolls. It's as if Haruhi had arranged the series...and well all know how annoying Haruhi can get (at least to Kyon)
You realize that the anachronistic order is the order that Kyon gives, not Haruhi, right?
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
TUNAFISHISGOOD wrote:But broadcasting out of order is how Haruhi rolls. It's as if Haruhi had arranged the series...and well all know how annoying Haruhi can get (at least to Kyon)
You realize that the anachronistic order is the order that Kyon gives, not Haruhi, right?
Yeah, but that's only because Kyon is announcing the order in which they're airing (which is normal) while Haruhi is announcing the chronological order (which is not).

Broadcast order rocked. The tone throughout the season progressed better that way, ending on the climactic MoHS, instead of reaching its climax less than halfway through, as it did in DVD order, and then kinda limping along until Live-Alive and Day of Sagittarius, where it picked back up, only to drift back to an oddly fitting slice-of-life ending in Someday in the Rain.

In the immortal words of Jimmy Vulmer, "C-c-come on..."

Admit it... You liked the broadcast order better. Everyone did, until way back when they first announced that the .jp DVDs would be in chronological order.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote: You realize that the anachronistic order is the order that Kyon gives, not Haruhi, right?
Yeah, but that's only because Kyon is announcing the order in which they're airing (which is normal) while Haruhi is announcing the chronological order (which is not).

Broadcast order rocked. The tone throughout the season progressed better that way, ending on the climactic MoHS, instead of reaching its climax less than halfway through, as it did in DVD order, and then kinda limping along until Live-Alive and Day of Sagittarius, where it picked back up, only to drift back to an oddly fitting slice-of-life ending in Someday in the Rain.

In the immortal words of Jimmy Vulmer, "C-c-come on..."

Admit it... You liked the broadcast order better. Everyone did, until way back when they first announced that the .jp DVDs would be in chronological order.
Kyon was purportedly shuffling the episodes on purpose to give the series a better ending, too...

I loved the broadcast order, but I don't think it'll work again, especially since the entirety of Vanishment is dependent on the reader not knowing that Kyon will get out.
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:I loved the broadcast order, but I don't think it'll work again, especially since the entirety of Vanishment is dependent on the reader not knowing that Kyon will get out.
Good point.

< :twisted: 's advocate>Problem is, Disappearance (Vanishment, Vol 4, whatever) is only preceded chronologically by Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Endless Eight, Sighs, and the parts already adapted in S1. If we are going with a 24-26 ep season, or at least two separate ~13 ep seasons, either of which the "...2008, 2009" copyright certainly suggests, that means we'll be getting into V4 probably no more than 6-7 episodes in, with an expected 18-20 ahead of us. Any anxiety over Kyon's situation would be nullified by general knowledge of story dynamics, whereas splitting V4 up as they did with V1 in S1, while interspersing it with the parts before (save BLR, which should premier the season) and maybe even a few parts after, if those episodes' timeframes can be hidden, to pad it out to the announced end of at least the first new season, could reinject that suspense.</ :twisted: 's advocate> Of course, it would do so at the expense of a wealth of tone.

I agree that achronicity this season, at least as rampant as it was the first season, is a bad idea. But that is much more due to the inherent need for keeping the two main storylines (V4 and V7) intact and not detracting from them, than it is to any fan backlash or any personal opinion on achronological storytelling. V1 was well suited to the mixed up broadcast order, as it was originally written in a way that strings a series of events into a coherent story, but said events also work well independantly or clumped in groups as more separate stories (as they were broadcast). With V4, however, the mood is such a large part of the story, as you have suggested, even though some of the suspense is lost through the "oh, he'll be okay" factor, that any interruption between prologue and volume end would be detractory. For V7 the reason becomes the sheer complexity of the intricate time travel/perform tasks/Haruhi secret/other factions plot, as switching the episodes around or introducing later action would even confuse people who've already read the chapter.

I'm all for fiddling with the chronological order for finales and (especially) premiers, though, specificially if we have a sizable (quarter season or more) break between the tellings of volumes 4 and 7, as it would tie the two stories together better with some great foreshadowing/flashing-back. If it's all in one go, though, I do recommend the straight chronological approach.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”