BAD NEWS!!!.....?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: BAD NEWS!!!

Post by shichinanatsu »

i remember reading that from somewhere.. something like SHnY being a "Hannah Montana meets Heroes" type..

can't help it.. HP's been billed off as a bildungsroman, so shounen-seinen transformation was inevitable. SHnY on the other hand's just a seinen. unlike HP wherein lead undergoes 'formation', SHnY deals with 'reconciliation' between a deviant lead and reality, imho.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

Didn't we get a comment from the guy in charge, essentially apologising for the "Hannah Montana meets Heroes" thing? Just marketing crap.

I think the books are marked as "for older teens". And, come to that, Heroes isn't really for tweenage girl either...
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

To be fair, wouldn't Haruhi be the best role model for tweenage girls EVER?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

AuraTwilight wrote:To be fair, wouldn't Haruhi be the best role model for tweenage girls EVER?

no
:|
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

AuraTwilight wrote:To be fair, wouldn't Haruhi be the best role model for tweenage girls EVER?
If every one learns from Haruhi, the world is gonna be in chaos! Just how many Kyons must there be to keep them in check??
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

if everyone learns from Haruhi, there wouldn't be anyonne left to play the role of Kyon.. though that happening would make for a very interesting world 8)

reminds me of what my creative writing professor said sometime ago.. it went along the lines of "when someone creates a piece of literature, it gains a life of its own, becoming everything but what it what was created to be." probably explains why writers (who don't write in the name of money) are taken aback when they make it big.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

My literature teacher said something similar; once it's been published, it means what it is interpreted to mean. The author's intent no longer manners.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

And that is why authors should have a closer connection to their fanbase.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

...and that is why authors can never get their books out on time...right?
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

I totally agree...how long as it been anyway?
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Re: BAD NEWS!!!.....?

Rather spiffy "westernised" cover for the paperback edition of Book 1 up on Amazon, Image with the japanese cover on the hardback. Personally, I think I'll pick up the paperback. A) 'cause I like paperbacks, and B) Well, I like this cover better.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Is that really going to be the cover of the English version of SHnY?! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! It looks like a kid's book set in the middle of the jungle somewhere. Yare yare...

Edit: It looks like they pushed the release date back, too. That is, if I remember correctly. It says May 7th, 2009 for both the paperback and hardback. I think I will get the hardback myself, which has the original Japanese artwork on it.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:Is that really going to be the cover of the English version of SHnY?! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! It looks like a kid's book set in the middle of the jungle somewhere. Yare yare...

Edit: It looks like they pushed the release date back, too. That is, if I remember correctly. It says May 7th, 2009 for both the paperback and hardback. I think I will get the hardback myself, which has the original Japanese artwork on it.
I'd be more worried about the localization than the covers, myself.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah. We can probably forget about seeing any of the honorifics in this translation...even though they practically define Kyon's relationship with the rest of the characters in this series.
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

ainsoph9 wrote:Yeah. We can probably forget about seeing any of the honorifics in this translation...even though they practically define Kyon's relationship with the rest of the characters in this series.
Hell, I saw that dub - I can do perfectly well without "Miss Suzumiya", "Miss Asahina" et al. There's translating, and then there's just missing the point...

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”