BAD NEWS!!!.....?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Re: BAD NEWS!!!.....?

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, if you're gonna take out the honorifics, putting on "Miss" and the like is the best you can do. Better that than everyone calling each other by their first names.
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

You think? I reckon that in a translation of this kind, you really kinda have to accept that trying to "cover" for the honorifics just... doesn't work. Especially for these characters - a Kyon in real life, if he spoke English, would not talk about "Miss Asahina". He'd talk about Mikuru.
I don't see the point of doing this kind of translation if you don't try and make the language it's in sound as believable as the original did. Sometimes... you just need to let go.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

"Miss Asahina" wasn't THAT weird. I was expecting honorifics Atlus-style, sure, but after the initial utterance I got used to it, and I'm sure lots of people did. Frankly, maintaining narmy speech patterns is better than ditching them entirely, since so much subtext vital to the character development and plot of the franchise is in those simple nuances. Better butchered than not there at all.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Putting "Miss," "Mr.," "Big Brother...," etc. would throw the novel back a hundred years or so in terms of how English-speakers would address each other, I think. However, thinking about a late 1800s/early 1900s Haruhi would be interesting.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Pfft, you don't think little kids address their siblings like that anymore?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

I know that some kids do call their older siblings by things like that, but the whole "big" and "little" thing is not used as much anymore, unless you are talking to someone outside of your family. However, if you are addressing your sibling, I think that it is not so much used, especially if you are the older sibling talking to the younger sibling.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

"Big bro" sounds pretty natural though.

See: Persona 4, and the most adorable character ever...
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

I have to disagree with her being the most adorable character ever. Especially in English. Especially since TVTropes made me AFRAID of her by making a really good argument that she's Izanami. UIrhrhrhr.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

She's poking adorable. Love her.

And the only reason that argument works is because she's voiced by Karen Strassman, who voices, like, everybody.

Izanami reminded me a lot more of Aigis than Nanako, really...
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

The thing that got the argument for me was the whole "lol no ego" handwave, which is total crap and contradicts the rest of the canon. And her revival by a mysterious force.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

I thought that had something to do with Teddie...
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

It could be, but it's never explicitly said. FOR ALL WE KNOW IZANAMI WAS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION so she could revive her avatar without suspicion. [/shiftyeyes]
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

But... the party kills Izanami at the end.

And Nanako is still alive. Unless you're suggesting she escaped death by entering the body of her avatar-- poke.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Or they splintered off. Or Teddie really did pull off Deus ex Machina magic and shared some of his new humanity with Nanako.

Or Izanami was Nanako's F*CKING PERSONA and that's why her Shadow never showed up! zomg.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

HOLY BALLS THAT DOES MAKE SENSE

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”