The DVDs of Suzumiya Haruhi (Thread now locked)

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

The DVDs of Suzumiya Haruhi (Thread now locked)

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Had normally want to "feed my ego" in a light-hearted way, and just have fun discussing the "fun" points of it all, but I seriously miscalculated the amount of envious rage here caused by the US DVDs that had me ending up actually being accused of "seriously feeding my ego" by some people. So please accept my apologies for wasting everybody's time. Thanks to Oni for locking this thread.

Finally finished watching the entire DVD boxset of the Melancholy series which I've bought a while ago. Easily the best USD180 I've ever spent.

(NOTE: I bought the Taiwanese Chinese version licensed by Proware Media Corp, whose subs are pretty much faithful to the novels. NOT the Bandai North America licensed English versions, which I learn is very inferior)

I noticed there were occasionally a few seconds of extra footage and even one or two lines of dialogue to make some of the scenes less ambiguous. Like Kyon explaining to the viewer about how Taniguchi would see his awkward kneeling position with Yuki after she saved him from Ryoko.

As expected from DVD quality, I think I wept at seeing the SOS Brigade in action in at least standard-def, if not HD. Something not even fansubs can compare, at least that's what I thought. (Not sure about how fansubs do the preservation of HD quality stuff. )

The "Behind the Scenes" special were well made as well, with the camera following Hirano Aya (Haruhi) around as she goes on making commercials, records for the CD single, tours around for CD single promotions, and visits the Kyo-Ani studios.

There are 7 boxes in total, and each box comes with 1 DVD and 1 CD. So that's where all the soundtrack is, alongside with some interesting Radio Show hosted by Hirano Aya, Gotou Yuuko (Mikuru) and Chihara Minori (Yuki), as well as a special "Megassa Corner" by Matsuoka Yuki (Tsuruya-san). While I'm OK with listening to it alone as I understand mostly what's being said, the package was kind enough to include a booklet with a translation of all the transcript.

Anyway, I'm done bragging. If you have the cash to spend, go get one right now. You can get your Region 1 DVDs at Amazon.com (Though mine are Taiwanese Region 3 ones, the packaging should be similar. )
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Re: The DVDs of Suzumiya Haruhi

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Finally finished watching the entire DVD boxset of the Melancholy series which I've bought a while ago. Easily the best USD180 I've ever spent.

I noticed there were occasionally a few seconds of extra footage and even one or two lines of dialogue to make some of the scenes less ambiguous. Like Kyon explaining to the viewer about how Taniguchi would see his awkward kneeling position with Yuki after she saved him from Ryoko.

As expected from DVD quality, I think I wept at seeing the SOS Brigade in action in at least standard-def, if not HD. Something not even fansubs can compare, at least that's what I thought. (Not sure about how fansubs do the preservation of HD quality stuff. )

The "Behind the Scenes" special were well made as well, with the camera following Hirano Aya (Haruhi) around as she goes on making commercials, records for the CD single, tours around for CD single promotions, and visits the Kyo-Ani studios.

There are 7 boxes in total, and each box comes with 1 DVD and 1 CD. So that's where all the soundtrack is, alongside with some interesting Radio Show hosted by Hirano Aya, Gotou Yuuko (Mikuru) and Chihara Minori (Yuki), as well as a special "Megassa Corner" by Matsuoka Yuki (Tsuruya-san). While I'm OK with listening to it alone as I understand mostly what's being said, the package was kind enough to include a booklet with a translation of all the transcript.

Anyway, I'm done bragging. If you have the cash to spend, go get one right now. You can get your Region 1 DVDs at Amazon.com (Though mine are Taiwanese Region 3 ones, the packaging should be similar. )
I hate the dub and the subs are utter crap. ("Future men"... who the hell hires these people?)

Not worth my money.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

I can put up with the dub, but yes, the subs are atrocious. Urhrhrhr.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

I would really buy them if I had the funds...unfortunately 180USD is my mother salary for a month,so it's close to impossible,but I'd make an effort to buy the novels that's for sure.And I doubt they are for sale in Romania,and I would not buy online,pretty suspicious to me... :roll:
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Sucks to be you. At least the Taiwanese licensors got the Chinese subs spot on, and having an official Chinese novel version to begin with certainly helped.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I also spent roughly $180 on the DVDs, with the 'special editon' US releases. They too came with a cd in each one, as well as a second copy of the series(in chronological order) and random extras.

The subs are awful though. Awful.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Dear me, I must be in the minority who actually like the DVDs. I did not open this thread to expect you guys to come in and complain, not that I'm against it, but you guys really do know how to take the fun out of my bragging, lol.

Then again, my DVDs are Taiwanese. So it guess it all depends on how dedicated the licensors are.

Your best bet is to enroll in Japanese classes and go straight for the source and import the Japanese Region 2 DVDs.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Dear me, I must be in the minority who actually like the DVDs. I did not open this thread to expect you guys to come in and complain, not that I'm against it, but you guys really do know how to take the fun out of my bragging, lol.

Then again, my DVDs are Taiwanese. So it guess it all depends on how dedicated the licensors are.
English licensors hate the fans. A lot.

Besides, I have the DVD files saved to my drive, as well as the original broadcast version. I'm perfectly happy.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

i don't know whether to whimper or run amok.. what with the situation of otaku like me here in my haruhi-forsaken country being an underground minority, not to mention the fat media companies don't really care much for minorities...

i'm thinking if SH made it here, the dubs would be WORSE than that of the US' - and that's saying a lot..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Dear me, I must be in the minority who actually like the DVDs. I did not open this thread to expect you guys to come in and complain, not that I'm against it, but you guys really do know how to take the fun out of my bragging, lol.

Your best bet is to enroll in Japanese classes and go straight for the source and import the Japanese Region 2 DVDs.
Well, I rather hope to take Japanese next semester(as an audit, so if it turns out @%^&#%^& impossible, it won't pwn my GPA), but in that case, I would just watch the US DVD without the subs.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”