Idle Thoughts: Does Kyon dislike confidence?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Idle Thoughts: Does Kyon dislike confidence?

Post by typhonsentra »

It's been awhile since I posted and I still think about this series often so this is the first in what may (Or may not, depending on how this turns out) be the first in a series.

Kyon's always struck me as an odd character, especially his singular obsession with Mikuru. I've heard some speculate those feelings aren't genuine and that they're the author lying to himself/the audience but I don't buy it because it fits in with a pattern of behavior. For instance, he seems far less interested in the adult Mikuru when compared to the younger version, he's said as much before but I can't remember where I read it. Also, the only other character he's shown a similar level of affection towards is his sister's friend who from his description was very shy too. Two of the few times he's been open with the reader about his attraction to Haruhi were when she was depressed in the first book and when she was sleeping next to Mikuru in Endless Eight (He even admits he's commenting on it because she's not speaking).

I'm not saying he's sexist per se, but he seems to only be interested in relationships if he can take the lead and be the protector, with a weak counterpart. Look at how often he talks about guarding/protecting Mikuru, it seems to me that's where his attraction to her lies, not necessarily in her appearance alone. He wasn't particularly interested in her when they first met remember.

So yeah, just putting random thoughts out there, kinda thinking out loud. Whatcha guys think? Anyone agree/disagree?
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Re: Idle Thoughts: Does Kyon dislike confidence?

Post by Rectifier »

Kyon is a hopeless romantic with the fallacious idea that an ideal relationship involves having one person being strong and the other being dependant. Ideally he wants to be the strong person (I mean, everybody likes being strong, so why not?).

The truth is that there is no ideal relationship (because every relationship is unique and different from any other), he has to learn that if he truly wants to love somebody; or even better, that he reaches an ideal relationship through loving somebody.

The problem with Haruhi, at least in Kyon's eyes, is that she has such a strong character (which of course is just a front, we know she's a teen just as vulnerable as any other as shown in volume one) that he cannot hope to satisfy her (of course, this way of thinking continuously backfires because he's finding himself more attracted to her because of the duality between her strong personality versus her more vulnerable side).
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Yes, I think Kyon is just hopeless romantic where he likes girl to be weak and dependent. he is not a sexist but he just has this illusion about the relationship. It is kind of moe as in Japan such type of girls are popular (but nowadays rarer too meet as their society moves on to the place where a female can stand ion an equal relationship with a male on equal terms, maybe sometimes even dominate the relationship alltogether).

Haruhi is a tough one, she is confident and though has a weak self behind her hard image Kyon doesn't feel so confident with her, so safe Mikuru with illusionary aura of perfect girl/boy love seems much better for him. Though for me it is hard to call love.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

From what i see, i just think he is trying to play the good guy...
I mean, Haruhi doesnt need help, Mikuru is being bullied...
Well, maybe some guys would consider helping Haruhi to bully Mikuru, but i guess Kyon just doesnt think that is a good idea? and Nagato doesnt need the help either, as she is being ignored by Haruhi, so Kyon isnt exactly obsessed with Mikuru.
I personally believe in the Kyon theory, i mean, its kinda obvious (Him getting to choose whether aliens and espers and ppl from the future can exist when Nagato went berserk, and the fact that an opposing group appeared is the best fact, since Haruhi cannot expect an opposing alien/esper/future ppl group when she doesnt even know that aliens and such exist in the first place...Not to forget that that group mentioned that they can stop Haruhi if Kyon joins them.)
So most probably Mikuru is someone he wishes to help in the first place, but he trusts Haruhi the most, knowing her the most, consciously or sub-consciously, just like how he is changing the world sub-consciously...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Big Brother instincts bleeding into his libido Freud-style.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Freud can blow me.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Rectifier wrote:Freud can blow me.

he probably does....and you'll enjoy this touching male bonding.

sorry had too many pints.

i will now go to sleep.

:|
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”