SOS-brigade translation?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

SOS-brigade translation?

Post by Garstansinilliam »

OK, so the anime uses the translation 'Save the world by Overloading it with fun Suzumiya Haruhi brigade'

but

the literal translation from the japanese is something about bringing more excitement to the world.

Is there a policy on which one is to be used? If it were my choice (ha ha, well it makes me feel important) I'd use the 'overloading it with fun' translation, because it a) seems to fit Haruhi's character better, and b) made me laugh uproariously for several minutes! I just love the name!

I only really ask this because, a substantial amount of the series has been translated (though not enough :wink: ) but there is still some contradiction. The full name of the brigade changes seemingly depending on which translator is doing the job, so it changes from voluem to volume.
Just a minor peeve with a great project, by the way.
Da~Mike
Astral Realm

Post by Da~Mike »

If you've noticed inconsistencies such as the one you mentioned (regarding SOS brigade's name), that only means that editors or translators simply haven't gotten round to "synchronising" things yet.

We've held numerous discussions as to how we want certain phrases, names or terms translated into English. However, it is not necessarily the translators' job to uphold the uniformity. It is the role of the editors to sort out things like that.

So basically, if you just read a chapter that has just been completed, chances are, it probably wouldn't have been proof-read several times yet.

In any case, thank you for mentioning this. I'm sure one of the translators or editors will get round to doing this soon enough.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”