Volume 14 (potential future)

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Ambi Valent
Astral Realm

Volume 14 (potential future)

Post by Ambi Valent »

Let's look into the future a bit. Suppose the question on closed spaces is put to rest for a while, and that the different parties of aliens, espers and time travellers have at least reached a ceasefire, and that the foundations of the future have been laid.

So far, we've only had one case of a sympathetic character abusing powers, having to face the harm done, and getting punished (in "Vanishment"), while all other incidents get shrugged off - permanent harassment? knife attack? PSI-lobotomy? Even Kyoko is painted in a positive light now.

What would happen if the characters make bad decisions that hit too close to home? Would the characters appear more rounded or would that mean a formerly lighthearted series jumps the shark?
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Re: Volume 14 (potential future)

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Making Haruhi darker would be a) A logical progression of plot and b) AWESOME.
Ambi Valent
Astral Realm

Post by Ambi Valent »

Logical progression is the keyword. It wouldn't really work if the characters get in trouble by acting atypical for them, like it happened in book 2, which involved Haruhi ignoring the changes she openly caused and the different factions going to war with each other. Book 2 is almost completely retconned, being mostly superseded by the story "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina" which contains only the parts that really fit into the continuity of the other books.

Koizumi's story would likely be sad, Haruhi might lose a friend (or one of the new SOS members). But I think Kyon's story has the greatest conflict potential.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

I dunno about Vol. 2, I think it has quite a few interesting ideas. For example the idea that Kyon can't trust anyone except Haruhi...

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”