Any theories on this passage in Snow Mountain Syndrome?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ashez2ashes
Astral Realm

Any theories on this passage in Snow Mountain Syndrome?

Post by ashez2ashes »

Hi! I just recently got into Haruhism (yeah I'm totally late for the party there's probably only chip crumbs left at the buffet table) and read most of the novels. I've been pondering possible theories and digesting the novels in my head on and off. When I got to this passage it really mystified me, although I felt it was really imporant.

It's from Volume 5: Rampage of Suzumiya Haruhi, the Snow Mountain Syndrome chapter:
"...Should something go wrong, pressing the Reset button will solve everything. Would you say that it is sensible to use this as a metaphor of our current situation?"

"Koizumi..."

A very intense sense of familiarity hits me the moment I let that out. Just like that feeling I experienced during that endless August with the sudden memory disconnect. What is it? I shout out in my mind for a memories which I should not recall. Come on! Hurry!

I hazily said:

"Have we experienced anything similar in the past?"

"You mean trapped in a snow mountain? No, not personally."

"That's not it."

It's not related to the snow mountain. I mean other than this encounter, I keep thinking that somewhere in my head there's memories of us being tossed into other dimensions... and some place very unreal...

"You mean that time we took down the giant Cricket? That happened in an alternate space."

"Not that one either."

I keep wracking my brain and a barely visible watermark appears. There's Koizumi in strange clothing, Haruhi, Nagato with Asahina-san, and lastly myself.

"Ahh there we go. Koizumi, for some reason, I keep thinking of you with a harp in hand and everybody being dressed in historical clothing and doing something..."

"Are you trying to say that you have retained memories of previous incarnations? I thought you didn't believe in that."

If there really is such a thing as reincarnation, people should be more understanding and would be more forgiving towards each other. That kind of stuff is just mere fantasy made for people that want to find an excuse to escape from the present reality.

"Exactly."

Damnit. I can't recall anything. My own logic dictates that I have no recollection of any alternate space, but my gut instincts deep inside tell me that is definitely not the case.

What could it be, although I can only recall key words in fragments, there are fleeting visions such as kings, pirates and gunfights in a spaceship drifting about in my mind. Just what is with this? My memory tells me that there's nothing of the sort, but what's with these pieces that I can't seem to piece together that are intertwined inside my heart? I can't put the whole picture together.

Is Haruhi resetting the world over and over into different anime genres and their just now on the 'highschool drama' rotation? I can't help but feel this passage is really important. Any theories? If there's been a thread on this already point me there! :)
Ambi Valent
Astral Realm

Re: Any theories on this passage in Snow Mountain Syndrome?

Post by Ambi Valent »

I thought that was a reference to the alternate world from "Vanishment" when Kyon assembled the SOS brigade there. Koizumi was wearing the other school's uniform there, which was a Gakuran (sp?) instead of the suit from the "regular" dimension. Kyon then "resetted" the world by going into the past again.
Moe_Ronn
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Moe_Ronn »

It seems like a reference to the Haruhi Theater side stories to me.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! ......wait what was I doing again?
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yup. It's referencing Koizumi the Cleric. Just a really badass allusion to the Haruhi Theatre stories.
ashez2ashes
Astral Realm

Post by ashez2ashes »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yup. It's referencing Koizumi the Cleric. Just a really badass allusion to the Haruhi Theatre stories.
Oh, so its an inside joke then. Darn occum's razor... I thought I'd stumbled upon something big. :lol:
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Hmm btw what are the theatre stories?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Darklor wrote:Hmm btw what are the theatre stories?
Strange little things, two so far, that have the SOS-dan sliding through random themed dimensions.

Think Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, but with Haruhi characters.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Spoilers on Haruhi Theatre settings, although by now you should have read them already. :roll:
Spoiler! :
In one of the dimensions they're a stereotypical group of adventurer's [hero(haruhi), cleric(koizumi), magician(mikuru), thief(yuki), meatshield/knight (kyon)]. And in the other one it's a parody of a western.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Spoiler! :
Actually, there's a space world inbetween the western and the fantasy world. The Western world hasn't actually been written about yet.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Meh, my memory gets fuzzy sometimes.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Have those stories a book of its own or are they only a part of one/some of the games stories?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

They were ran in a magazine as omake chapters.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”