Reading according oto the timeline or not?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Final Fantasist
Astral Realm

Reading according oto the timeline or not?

Post by Final Fantasist »

http://project.baka-tsuki.net/index.php ... i:Timeline

Ok, I want to know how you guys are reading these novel.

Are you goin by the timeline, or are you reading the volumes as they come out?

Was just wondering, because I'm one of those that's going to read according to timeline. I was prettty much confused most of the time when I watched the anime, it gets even more confusive when I'm reading xD

What about you guys? ^^
Da~Mike
Astral Realm

Post by Da~Mike »

Since I help edit the chapters, I read them as they come out, not according to the timeline.

I can understand what you think about the author's odd choice for jumbling the chapters about but I suppose this was his attempt to personalise his writing style and to maintain interest. IMHO, the author's script is fairly predictable so by adding things in that was "supposed" to have happened in the past, the author has the ability to alter the storyline as he goes.
ArGus
Astral Realm

Post by ArGus »

I just read by novel number. It's not very confusing for me when I read, simply because I read the 1st novel first. The most important details are in the first novel, and the rest of the chapters seem to build on this.
Maelstrom
Astral Realm

Post by Maelstrom »

I'm reading it in the jumbled up timeline, after all, this is the way the author intended it to be read. I think the confusion adds to it's charm. Also, later on in the book; when stuff is revealed that didn't make sense in earlier volumes, everything starts to click in your head which makes for a very entertaining read.

Fingers crossed for a Vol.3 PDF soon.
Arizth
Astral Realm

Post by Arizth »

The read and clicking-in part is entertaining, but it IS irritating. First time i was watching the Anime, I went back and watched the episodes before the baseball game over just to see if I had somehow missed Koizumi's entrance.

On that note...Did Episode 1 (or 00, as it may) confuse anyone else the first time around?
bicube
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by bicube »

I was a little confused at first, but I noticed that there were two black vertical lines on the sides and the narrator was saying things like, "This has nothing to do with the story," and stuff like that. At that point, I realized that it was a parody of sorts. At that point, I cheated to make sure, then jumped to the end and saw Haruhi doing her turning thing.. That's when it all made sense..
mR.Ska
Astral Realm

Post by mR.Ska »

wait wait. what? i ve just finished book 1. Will the book chapters after this also be jumbled up like in the anime?
bicube
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by bicube »

Yeah. Reading the novels straight through won't give you a story that goes in chronological order. But you won't be missing anything if you do read it in order (from what I can remember). From what I've read so far, it's not as bad as the anime, where you have to backtrack to fill in the missing gaps.
Senshi
Astral Realm

Post by Senshi »

I read it in the order they were published, i.e. not chronologically. It's published that way for a reason, I guess the author intended it to be read as such.
Guestie~
Astral Realm

Post by Guestie~ »

I read it in the order they were published, i.e. not chronologically. It's published that way for a reason, I guess the author intended it to be read as such.
I just read by novel number. It's not very confusing for me when I read, simply because I read the 1st novel first. The most important details are in the first novel, and the rest of the chapters seem to build on this.
.. basically that's two different answers... how is it then?
.. i find it moore logic to read after the volume numbers .. but reading as the author wants doesn't seem to be wrong eather ..
NotAGuest
Astral Realm

Post by NotAGuest »

Guestie~ wrote:
.. basically that's two different answers... how is it then?
.. i find it moore logic to read after the volume numbers .. but reading as the author wants doesn't seem to be wrong eather ..
No, that's the same answer. Vol. Number = Order they were published.
Gosha
Astral Realm

Post by Gosha »

the timeline says different...
Gosha
Astral Realm

Post by Gosha »

well, kinda never mind .. i'll just read it somehow and see how it comes up
Bekenn
Astral Realm

Post by Bekenn »

Actually, I get the impression that they were written in chronological order, or at least very close to it. Each story was originally published in Sneaker before being published as books. If you look at the timeline, you'll see that all but one of the stories in volume 3 were published in Sneaker before volume 2. Moreover, Tanigawa mentions in the author's notes that Sneaker chose to publish Boredom before volume 1, so both of those stories at the very least were written before anyone saw anything.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”