Season 2--May 24th

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Season 2--May 24th

Post by b0mb3r »

^ yeah i love yuki too. and yes i too love how Koizumi's body twitches for more screen time. i need to find a gif of that so i can laugh forever. koizumi simles and accept way too much in appearacne is nice to see weakness.

about the interfaces. i thought only those close to haruhi would be aware of the loop. is it possible the other interfaces who aren't would know the loop too?

baka baka baka
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Considering that they're all pretty much connected to each other through some hive mind stuff, they'd probably all be aware by necessity. The only reason Yuki remembered everything, instead of having vague recollections like everyone else, is because her consciousness is anachronistic. This is probably the same for the rest of them, and their creators.

Also, did anyone else find it interesting that Mikuru never mentioned any deja vu, and Koizumi didn't include her in the headcount of people who remembered things?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ lol you mean why future mikura never bother to tell kyon and help stop the 595 years madness?

baka baka baka
Ambi Valent
Astral Realm

Post by Ambi Valent »

For future Mikuru it would be quite natural to preserve the things like she remembers them, which includes the Brigade members' deja vus and Yuki's memories...

I think he means "present" Mikuru's behavior. She seems so weak that "normal" people (Kyon and Haruhi) won't suspect her. Yuki and Itsuki probably know better what Mikuru is capable of.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

so mikura is pulling something like how minorin pretended to be scared of horror?

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

An easy explanation why future Mikuru did not come to warn them about the loop is found in Mikuru's reason for distress: she is unable to return to the future, or contact it.

Until Kyon's final intervention, the loop was cut off from the regular space-time continuum, and hence Mikuru could not move to the future, the reverse is also true in that the future could not locate Mikuru's position in the continuum, as though she had vanished from it.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

*headdesk*

You people...did I mention Future Mikuru? NO.

I was talking about present Mikuru. The one with everyone else. She never mentions, or implies that she experiences Deja Vu, and Koizumi only mentions himself, Kyon, and Yuki as remembering anything at all.
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

Duh, the answer is that Mikuru is an idiot.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, that goes without saying, but regardless, she should've still suspected something.

Combining this with Koizumi's speculation about Mikuru's real personality and intentions, and her lack of throwing in her loyalty with the SOS Brigade above her superiors, she's looking awwwfully suspiiiicious....
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by shichinanatsu »

wouldn't you say that mikuru's presence in haruhi's timeline signifies the future's desire to be? i mean, koizumi said it himself that mikuru could be a member of the SOS Dan for the sole purpose of "steering" the events in haruhi's present to allow for the time travelers' present. mikuru (big) doesn't remember her younger self knowing exactly why she was sent back, so it should be that mikuru (small) know nothing in particular about the details of her mission; the ONLY way to perpetuate the existence of the future, so to speak.

compared to that - future micromanaging the present - yuki and koizumi don't have to go to such lengths to maintain their existences. the events of 3 years ago can't be altered, period, so the Agency's reception of powers, and consequently their raison d'etre, has been set in stone. the IDSE, having been made to exist beyond space and time, is also free of the worries of a transient existence. for them, the only reason for worry - and in essence their only raison d'etre - is haruhi; we've had v4 for that matter..

edit: i just had an epiphany..
though it could be that the future is uncertain, so it is that the past can be bleak. koizumi made claims on that matter back in v1 that the world could have been made 3YA, and again in the same volume, that the world might have been made right after kyon kissed haruhi. a bit of mental overclocking: God writes the past, the future writes itself, the present is just tabula rasa..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

this week episode make me piss at haruhi. is strange how everyone keep calling her a tsudere when i never even thought her as one and i know she gets better later in the novel but this episode i felt she was a total b*tch for her jealousy

baka baka baka
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's how Haruhi's character is developed. Can you blame her? She's the ultimate result of a girl who wanted to be special and unique and got exactly what she wished for, and she never really had to work at accomplishing things. She's the typical Highly Successful Person at 15. They're pretty much all like this to some degree, Haruhi's just the extreme because she's a goddamned deity.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Ponytail.
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

Well, one thing the latest episode has made me realize is how each faction is only looking out for its own interests.

I certainly remember reading about the tension between the aliens, espers, and time travelers, but I glossed over it in the novels. Probably because this subplot hasn't been used much in the subsequent volumes.

In any case, the episode was pretty fun.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

anyone can help me find a gif where koizumi twitching when haruhi gives him more view time to act?

yeah that episode rocks and i felt the tension of the factions. man makes me fantasize of those factions later protrayed from the book. one of my few criticism is that i wish kyoani reminds viewer that the end is actually before sighs and after melancholy (last episode of s1)

baka baka baka

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”