Question about the timeline

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Blacknaks
Astral Realm

Question about the timeline

Post by Blacknaks »

Could someone explain the chronological order that the timeline on the wiki is showing. I wasnt quite sure of what it was because I couldn't understad the timeline that well. Also, are the books not written in order, like the anime? That was my only conclusion as to why there would be a timeline. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. I just started watching the Suzumiya Haruhi series.
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

If you read the novels in the order they're written, you get the mixed-up order. It's like a puzzle—all the pieces eventually fall into place.

But if you want to read the events in the order they happened, the timeline will tell you which parts of which novels to read. Just follow the "Volume" column in order.

This method can be useful but it has its drawbacks. First, things happen that make no sense, and you don't get the explanation until much later. Second, when reading the novels in order, Kyon refers to events that have already happened but that he hasn't told us about yet. You would get confused if you read in timeline order and thought to yourself—wait a minute, I already do know about these events.

My advice? Do what the anime did, and enjoy the out-of-order sequence. Trust me, Kyon will eventually answer all your questions—when he feels like it. :P
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

While we may be translating "out of order", there is a certain rule in that they are translated before a crucial plot watershed (at least that's how I do it). Namely Volume 4 and Volume 7.

Right now all the stories that take place before Volume 4 have been done.
Blacknaks
Astral Realm

Post by Blacknaks »

Thanks alot.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”