Kyons name/nickname

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ohsotired
Astral Realm

Kyons name/nickname

Post by ohsotired »

Hi, im new to the series and this site, so im sorry if this has been asked/answered before. I did a search and came up empty.

Whats the deal with Kyons name? Does it have a meaning? Is it a version of his real name name, like calling some one named william--- bill? Is it like calling someone shorty or champ or something?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

nope.....and nope...kyon is like calling someone called paul, "Borat".

It has nothing to do with their real names, or anything to do with their physical appearance, its just something that stuck.

p.s. And yes, thats a real nickname, in fact its the nickname of my bestmate.

And no. I have no idea why he calls himself that. He doesn't even like Ali G....

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

I always thought it might connect to his real name. Like the beginning of his given name starts with "Ky" and his family name starts with "On". Something like.... "Kyosuke Onizuka"? This is just my own theory, the name has to come from something or somewhere. I doubt it was just a random thing his aunt came up with.
fancyasians
Astral Realm

Post by fancyasians »

i love saying kyon, it's a fun name to say. i think the other characters in the show love to say it as well :D

i would love to know the history behind it. also any clues to what his little sisters name is?
renrutal
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by renrutal »

fancyasians wrote:also any clues to what his little sisters name is?
Well, she's literally referred as "Kyon no imoutou", which translates to Kyon's little sister.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

What is Kyon's real name anyways?
Umiman
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Umiman »

fancyasians wrote:i love saying kyon, it's a fun name to say. i think the other characters in the show love to say it as well :D

i would love to know the history behind it. also any clues to what his little sisters name is?
His aunt always called him Kyon. His sister picked it up and started using that instead of "onii-chan". Friends heard his sister calling him that and they started calling him that as well.

Stuck ever since.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Maybe in the final volume, the author will release his name just because we never heard it before! :D But I really don't know when the final volume will come out. I predict that this light novel series will go up to about 14.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

Judging by its popularity, the series could go on forever. He might be dead before we see the end.
LitaKat
Astral Realm

Post by LitaKat »

Come on, he says his real name a few times in the books...

John Smith.

:twisted:
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

you are so evil. :evil:
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

If Kyon's name really was John Smith... o_O then...

Anyways, I expect that Haruhi already knows Kyon's real name, when they role call in their Homeroom, I'd expect that Okabe sensei would at least use Kyon's real name. Personally, I think that Kyon and John Smith are the closest hints to his real name. Maybe his aunt combined Kyon's first name with his last name or something else to create Kyon. And maybe John Smith derives from something similar to Kyon's name? Kyon -> John o.O
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

Well, my sister once had a friend whose who was called 'Fe' by everyone. Her name was Sarah or soemthing, and had no relation at all to the word 'Fe'.
I always saw 'Kyon' as a nickname like that. No meaning, but it sticks.

Plus, one of my favourite things about 'Haruhi' is that, if you look, you never know the real names of any normal person. Only the Aliens, Espers etc. And so when a guest character is given a whole name, Like Asakura Ryouko, or Emirir Kimidori, you know there's more to them...
Kenotic
Astral Realm

Post by Kenotic »

I thought I'd pull this out instead of starting a new thread.

Anyway, something dawned on me awhile back. Who calls him "Kyon" anyway? More important, who doesn't?

We know Haruhi, Mikuru, lil' sis, and Tsuruya do. Meanwhile, I don't think I've ever read about Koizumi calling him this. Yuki never does, according to Kyon himself. Maybe they're just too formal and don't like nicknames?
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Japanese politeness is big thing in their culture. However, I believe that they just don't call him Kyon because he knows when they're talking to him, and in most cases when the communicate there's only the two of them so they can so you etc. However, I doubt that they'll call him by his real name just because they're in a situation where they have to use Kyon.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”