Kyons name/nickname

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Re: Kyons name/nickname

Post by fiendmaw »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote: It was entertaining, wasn't it?
I don't see where this is going.
That's easy,even though Haruhi never expected to find anything in the treasure hunt(since she wanted to bury a 'treasure' herself),it's her nature to assume there was really a treasure there,so she created one.
That's my views on it. :P
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

fiendmaw wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote: I don't see where this is going.
That's easy,even though Haruhi never expected to find anything in the treasure hunt(since she wanted to bury a 'treasure' herself),it's her nature to assume there was really a treasure there,so she created one.
That's my views on it. :P
I changed my post.

Also, the time travelers knew about the treasure. That's why they had Kyon move the rock. This was before the treasure hunt.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:I changed my post.

Also, the time travelers knew about the treasure. That's why they had Kyon move the rock. This was before the treasure hunt.
Knowledge seems to work in this series in a "Back to the Future" kind of way; aka, the time travelers knew the treasure existed because one version of Mikuru helped Kyon move the rock, of course she would later remember and tell the other time travelers this event, and thus the future knows of the event both after and before the event actually occurs relative to when that moment occurs in Kyon's time.

Hurray for the "Back to the Future" time paradox theme constantly plaguing the story.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Rectifier wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:I changed my post.

Knowledge seems to work in this series in a "Back to the Future" kind of way; aka, the time travelers knew the treasure existed because one version of Mikuru helped Kyon move the rock, of course she would later remember and tell the other time travelers this event, and thus the future knows of the event both after and before the event actually occurs relative to when that moment occurs in Kyon's time.

Hurray for the "Back to the Future" time paradox theme constantly plaguing the story.
Novikov's principle helps allay SOME of this, but... yeah. Any story with time travel will have these inherent paradoxes. Just a fact.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by shichinanatsu »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Rectifier wrote: Knowledge seems to work in this series in a "Back to the Future" kind of way; aka, the time travelers knew the treasure existed because one version of Mikuru helped Kyon move the rock, of course she would later remember and tell the other time travelers this event, and thus the future knows of the event both after and before the event actually occurs relative to when that moment occurs in Kyon's time.

Novikov's principle helps allay SOME of this, but... yeah. Any story with time travel will have these inherent paradoxes. Just a fact.
hmm, the thing with paradoxes is that it sort of reminds us that something is inherently 'wrong' with how we think. and not just with time travel, virtually all of the theoretical sciences, as well as philosophy, are prone to paradoxes. now i don't think i'd buy the fact that tanigawa-san can create a paradox-free story regarding time travel - he's smart enough to create Suzumiya Haruhi and give us SOO much to think of - 'assuming' he thinks like all the rest of humanity. but if he EVER did manage to do just that, heh, he might just be beyond Isaac Asimov and all the other SF masters..

now if anyone else can manage a paradox-free time travel story, i'm all ears; paradoxes are fun to think of, but they do get tiring..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

A MacGuffin is basically a red herring, a sort of plot device that in the end turns out to be useless, without any real special powers.

I really don't think that applies to Haruhi. I see why you WOULD use that to describe her, but she is extremely powerful, and, especially in the earlier stories, it's her powers that drives the whole plot.
Hm. Not the definition I had. Plot Coupon then.
Because it's impossible to have "opinions" in regards to the nature of the universe in a story? The word you're looking for is "belief". And I believe that what you believe is wrong.

However, you're right. It's kind of pointless to continue this when neither of us is going to convince the other.
It is possible to have "opinions" of the nature of a universe in a story. :P Neither of us necessarily believe our hypotheses to be the true one, just the ones we prefer.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote: It is possible to have "opinions" of the nature of a universe in a story. :P Neither of us necessarily believe our hypotheses to be the true one, just the ones we prefer.
Ah, I see what you mean.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

necro-post

i had a eureka moment last night when i was reading v5's yukiyama shoukougun, and when i skipped to v9 i think i stumbled onto something, so i wanted everyone else's thoughts on this.

disclaimer:
1. this is all just circumstantial evidence, i just happened to see a pattern in some relatively unrelated things; conspiracy theorists are particularly good at this, i got my ideas
from some guy named dan brown.
2. technically, the following will be spoilers to those who haven't read as far as v5 and v9, so consider yourself warned.
Spoiler! :
in v5's yukiyama shoukougun, we have haruhi claiming she heard yuki call for kyon. in response to this koizumi believes it was actually yon (four) that was said. with that, subsequent events led to their escaping the trap set by the to-be-revealed-as-SCD. i believe this is tanigawa-sensei's first chronological allusion to the nature of kyon's given name, before v9's description of kyon's name by sasaki.

kyon is written in kana, and split into syllables it sounds something like this:
KI--YO--N (i know as much that kyo is a contraction)

now, if we play with these syllables with the events of v5 in mind, we get this:
KI--YON
with the yon meaning four.

now, the kanji for the number four can be pronounced as shi or yon; the former - chinese in origin - bearing a negative connotation as it can also mean death, the latter arising from the original japanese counting system (hitotsu=1, futatsu=2, mittsu=3, yottsu=4). with that, i thought of replacing the yon in kyon's name with shi, since accdg to my interpretation of v5, the four in kyon's name is significant. i got this:
KI--SHI

with me so far? okay, it so happens that kishi is the jap word for knight. (i know, the English term is loaded with cultural and religious influences reminiscent of Middle Age Europe, a life-scheme far removed from anything Japan has been through) with that for a derived clue we jump to v9, where Sasaki says, and i quote:
"Can you tell me the reason for having such a royal and imposing name?"
now, knight seems to fit the bill, if we put it into context; a knight is a chosen warrior of royalty, a warrior above all else in terms of skill and nobility. kyon of course lacks in the said qualifications, but he is still someone who was chosen by Suzumiya Haruhi, and that in itself is an imposing position.

in conclusion, i believe kyon's given name could contain kanji (i've learned that given names can vary from 1 to 3 kanji) that can be read as, or can mean KISHI / KNIGHT.

overanalysis: i personally think we're looking at Knight of God as a plausible transliteration for kyon's given name, if we consider koizumi's views regarding haruhi.
comments, violent reactions, con- and des-crit accepted. don't hold back on this humble theory.
Last edited by shichinanatsu on Wed May 20, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

That would actually be pretty cool.

Now, given that information, we figure out what his name actually IS...
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

and i actually forgot the most important part..

this goes out to everyone in the B-T community who is kanji-literate; you people are the only ones around here who can crack this mystery before tanigawa-sensei reveals kyon's name, if my little theory stands true.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

btw. it is "John Smith" in a Matrix way right? And he does the job of the "John Smiths" - guard the integrity of the (vr-)world. So maybe his name have something to do with this (his) job ;) and this would be on par with shichinanatsus idea, right? ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Er...No.

That's Agent Smith.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

John Smith, Agent Smith, you are the same to me.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Doesn't anyone find it odd that we know pretty much everything about Kyon except for his real name?

It really makes me consider that his name has something significant to the story, at least later on.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

We don't know the full names of anyone who isn't a supernatural being, it's not unusual. What's Tsuruya's given name? Taniguchi's? Kunikada's? We don't have ANY name for the Computer Club President or the Student Council President.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”