Kyons name/nickname

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rectifier
Astral Realm

Re: Kyons name/nickname

Post by Rectifier »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:Thanks.

This image made me a Yuki fan.
For some reason I think she looks like a shrine maiden with a school uniform on.

@quigon Yeah, I've always wondered why we haven't seen any "third party" entities.

Also, didn't Sasaki exist before Haruhi became god?
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

Rectifier wrote:@quigon Yeah, I've always wondered why we haven't seen any "third party" entities.

Did she? Did she exist, or did she spring fully formed from Haruhi's forehead one fine afternoon (after a particularly "splitting" headache), and Kyon's memories were adjusted to compensate?

Or was her importance in Kyon's life "acccentuated" by Haruhi's powers, and her importance to the Dark SOS?

We know the Espers were not Espers before Haruhi became God, as Itsuki and the rest of them remember existing as normal people. Can we say the same about the IDSE, or the time travelers? Or did she pop them into existence along with the timequake (as Mikuru would say) and the data explosion (as Yuki would say)?

Messes with your head, doesn't it?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

The way Kyon just "suddenly" seems to remember her seems a bit fishy. Even though it's most likely the author not wanting to mention her beforehand; I think Kyon would have thought of Sasaki at least once in the entire span of the novels prior to them reuniting.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
Rectifier wrote:@quigon Yeah, I've always wondered why we haven't seen any "third party" entities.

Did she? Did she exist, or did she spring fully formed from Haruhi's forehead one fine afternoon (after a particularly "splitting" headache), and Kyon's memories were adjusted to compensate?

Or was her importance in Kyon's life "acccentuated" by Haruhi's powers, and her importance to the Dark SOS?

We know the Espers were not Espers before Haruhi became God, as Itsuki and the rest of them remember existing as normal people. Can we say the same about the IDSE, or the time travelers? Or did she pop them into existence along with the timequake (as Mikuru would say) and the data explosion (as Yuki would say)?

Messes with your head, doesn't it?
SHnY is the greatest, most subtle mindscrew EVER.
TheGiftedMonkey wrote:The way Kyon just "suddenly" seems to remember her seems a bit fishy. Even though it's most likely the author not wanting to mention her beforehand; I think Kyon would have thought of Sasaki at least once in the entire span of the novels prior to them reuniting.
Check Charmed at First Sight LOVER and Editor-in-Chief. She's mentioned there, but not by name.

She's also hinted at existing in the very first novel ("Kyon's always had a thing for weird girls") and again in Vol.4, with almost the same line.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Check Charmed at First Sight LOVER and Editor-in-Chief. She's mentioned there, but not by name.

She's also hinted at existing in the very first novel ("Kyon's always had a thing for weird girls") and again in Vol.4, with almost the same line.
If we take it for granted that Kyon is recounting the events of the series from his memory, then it wouldn't be 100% reliable due to any potential memory changes. For all we know, that line was never actually said until Haruhi altered the timeline to allow for Sasaki's existence/importance.

I am personally of the view that Haruhi created the current universe three/four years ago, and that before then the IDSE and other related entities, Espers, Time Travelers, and so on did not exist until she willed them all into being. The "timequake" prevents the time travelers from going any earlier is because there IS NO EARLIER, merely memories of it.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote:

If we take it for granted that Kyon is recounting the events of the series from his memory, then it wouldn't be 100% reliable due to any potential memory changes. For all we know, that line was never actually said until Haruhi altered the timeline to allow for Sasaki's existence/importance.

I am personally of the view that Haruhi created the current universe three/four years ago, and that before then the IDSE and other related entities, Espers, Time Travelers, and so on did not exist until she willed them all into being. The "timequake" prevents the time travelers from going any earlier is because there IS NO EARLIER, merely memories of it.
I invoke Occam's Razor.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

hmm.. ockham's razor does come in handy, but it doesn't allow for much imaginative speculation don't you think? yeah, the possibility of 'last thursday-ism' occurring in SHnYverse is very likely, but wouldn't that make kyon a big mistake in god/haruhi's creating the universe? i don't think i'd buy that
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't think Occam's Razor can apply in a setting where God's prone to just up and rewrite physics, causality, and history because she saw a new anime.
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote: If we take it for granted that Kyon is recounting the events of the series from his memory, then it wouldn't be 100% reliable due to any potential memory changes. For all we know, that line was never actually said until Haruhi altered the timeline to allow for Sasaki's existence/importance.

I invoke Occam's Razor.
Better yet, I invoke that futuristic metal thingy they found on Tsuruya-san's property.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Retrocausality. Haruhi could've willed that to be there, aged appropriately, out of her subconscious wishes for time travel.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote:Retrocausality. Haruhi could've willed that to be there, aged appropriately, out of her subconscious wishes for time travel.
This kind of thinking leads in to what I call the "Haru-Trap".

Basically, the explanation that Haruhi is responsible for EVERYTHING that has ever happened in the story ever, which is, in general, far too easy of an explanation. Assuming that her powers are omnipotent ruins several of the story's aspects.

Also, quigonkenny, I like the new avatar. Heh.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, her powers ARE omnipotent, that's kind've the whole damn point.

As for causing every event EVUR, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that, though it's pretty clear that she either created the current universe (not to say there wasn't a previous universe or we'd REALLY be Haru-trapping), or is atleast responsible for all supernatural phenomena.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

AuraTwilight wrote:Well, her powers ARE omnipotent, that's kind've the whole damn point.

As for causing every event EVUR, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that, though it's pretty clear that she either created the current universe (not to say there wasn't a previous universe or we'd REALLY be Haru-trapping), or is atleast responsible for all recent supernatural phenomena.
fixed*

Also, I think that Haru didn't mess with the past too much because they went to the "old" world back at the end of Melancholy. And its also possible that the time travelers put the object there in the past, or maybe it was put there by an older god. I mean, assuming Haru has been the only random person with god powers is kinda stretching the story thin, I'm pretty sure that its been some sort of Buddhist reincarnation thing where god pops in every once in a while as a different person with no memories, but hey, thats just a random theory.
quigonkenny

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Retrocausality. Haruhi could've willed that to be there, aged appropriately, out of her subconscious wishes for time travel.
This kind of thinking leads in to what I call the "Haru-Trap".

Basically, the explanation that Haruhi is responsible for EVERYTHING that has ever happened in the story ever, which is, in general, far too easy of an explanation. Assuming that her powers are omnipotent ruins several of the story's aspects.
Yeah, stuff like that is much better rarely used, but used in a big way when it is, so that you're not expecting it when it happens.
Kaisos Erranon wrote:Also, quigonkenny, I like the new avatar. Heh.
LOL. I was about to change to a Harumi-in-despair avatar a while back for the various fora that I tro--frequent, when you popped up with the Sensei-in-despair avatar. I was glad to see that one retired, especially given the opportunity that Episode 6 gave me... ^_^

Of course, your avatar is awesome as well. From the PS2 game, right?
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Rectifier wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Well, her powers ARE omnipotent, that's kind've the whole damn point.

As for causing every event EVUR, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that, though it's pretty clear that she either created the current universe (not to say there wasn't a previous universe or we'd REALLY be Haru-trapping), or is atleast responsible for all recent supernatural phenomena.
fixed*

Also, I think that Haru didn't mess with the past too much because they went to the "old" world back at the end of Melancholy. And its also possible that the time travelers put the object there in the past, or maybe it was put there by an older god. I mean, assuming Haru has been the only random person with god powers is kinda stretching the story thin, I'm pretty sure that its been some sort of Buddhist reincarnation thing where god pops in every once in a while as a different person with no memories, but hey, thats just a random theory.
I think I said that in one of my posts,but can't actually remember which.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”