Shinsekai Yori

Enjoyed one of our teasers? tell us here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should 'From the New World' be translated?

Yes
98%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
1%
No (Please give a reason)
1%

Total votes: 616

Dusanh
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: From the New World (新世界より)

Post by Dusanh »

This following is something of a spoiler for anyone who didn't watch the Anime or read the book themself already.
Spoiler! :
I just wanted to say, Holy Shit did they ever cut a lot from Tomiko's Fiend Encounter when they put it in the Anime. And while I would love to have seen it, I suspect they would have been unable to get the series on TV if they had done the full version. This is the stuff of nightmares... and I love it. :twisted:
I hope the rest of you do too. :roll:
I'd really been looking forward to this scene which, though it was cut to just a few minutes in the Anime, comprises the majority of Part 4, Chapter 2. I'll be putting the second third of it up later tonight and, hopefully, the last later this week.
Rage_Ender
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mondaiji; Campione; Mushoku Tensei; Black Bullet

Re: From the New World (新世界より): General

Post by Rage_Ender »

There is the manga right?
dun dun dun..>!!!!!!<
RPPuzzle
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: From the New World (新世界より): General

Post by RPPuzzle »

Holy crap the fact you guys (or one guy) is/are taking this project on makes me happy. I made a tumblr account just so I could convince an official company to do it. They said if they got 4,000 shares they're think about it. Then they deleted the post T_T.

I'm hoping the novel will go deeper into character thoughts/plot development. I'd totally read it. The anime fascinated me a lot. I'm sure translating it won't be easy, so take your time, but thank you thank you thank you! Will definitely start reading as things get out of draft form.
Dusanh
Mikuru's Master

Re: Shinsekai Yori

Post by Dusanh »

First, sorry for the long hiatus. Just posted the 2nd half of Part 4 Chapter 3. I'll try to get back to regular updates again now that my schedule is getting a bit more free.
RPPuzzle wrote:I'm hoping the novel will go deeper into character thoughts/plot development. I'd totally read it. The anime fascinated me a lot. I'm sure translating it won't be easy, so take your time, but thank you thank you thank you! Will definitely start reading as things get out of draft form.
I wouldn't expect it to get out of 'draft' form any time soon. I left that tag because the files have not been edited by anyone other than myself. And anyone who has done much writing (or in this case translating) knows it can be terribly hard to catch your own mistakes. So until the project gets someone other than me working on it, they will remain drafts in my mind.(and on the page)
In response to your curiosity about the depth, Yes, there does seem to be quite a bit more too it in terms of character motivations and backstory. What parts of the story the Anime covered were amazingly close to what was in the original books, but with a single 24 episode season to cover a set of books this long, a lot got left out.
Rage_Ender wrote:There is the manga right?
There is a Manga, but I wouldn't really recommend it. Both the story and the overall feel of the series are very different. The biggest single difference I've noticed is the treatment of mature content. The book has a reasonable amount of it in terms of both sex and violence. The majority of the sexual content seems to have been removed from the Anime, but I'd be surprised if it made up more than 1-2% by page count to begin with so you aren't missing much. The manga not only adds all the sex scenes back in (and probably adds some new ones) but makes them the focus of entire chapters. The whole thing feels like a horror themed hentai manga at times. There was an interview I saw a while back where the author of the book was asked what he thought of the manga. His response was something along the lines of 'Well, the girls are cute and the monsters are creepy. What else can I say.' The look on his face suggested that he was trying reaaally hard to find something to say about it that wasn't bad. :lol:
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

Dusanh wrote:First, sorry for the long hiatus. Just posted the 2nd half of Part 4 Chapter 3. I'll try to get back to regular updates again now that my schedule is getting a bit more free.
:
So you're catching up with this guy here http://shinsekai.cadet-nine.org/category/news/ ?
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
Dusanh
Mikuru's Master

Post by Dusanh »

pudding321 wrote:So you're catching up with this guy here http://shinsekai.cadet-nine.org/category/news/ ?
More along the lines of he's catching up with me. I started out ahead under the plan of working at a similar pace. Then I ended up biting off more than I could chew so to speak in terms of my school/work schedules this last semester and the project fell to the wayside. Anyways, I'll be done with that in a few weeks if nothing goes horribly wrong with finals or my senior project. And even if I find a full time job immediately, I'll still have a lot more time to work on this than I do now. I'll probably wind up falling behind the other person anyways given the huge disparity in practice and momentum at this point, but whatever. I can skip straight to book 6 if he catches up before I reach 5 and still get some form of complete translation done faster in the end.

Anyways, It's nice to see people are still looking in here. and sorry again for dissappearing.
In any case, that's as much procrastination as I can afford at the moment. :roll:
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

Dusanh wrote: More along the lines of he's catching up with me. I started out ahead under the plan of working at a similar pace. Then I ended up biting off more than I could chew so to speak in terms of my school/work schedules this last semester and the project fell to the wayside. Anyways, I'll be done with that in a few weeks if nothing goes horribly wrong with finals or my senior project. And even if I find a full time job immediately, I'll still have a lot more time to work on this than I do now. I'll probably wind up falling behind the other person anyways given the huge disparity in practice and momentum at this point, but whatever. I can skip straight to book 6 if he catches up before I reach 5 and still get some form of complete translation done faster in the end.

Anyways, It's nice to see people are still looking in here. and sorry again for dissappearing.
In any case, that's as much procrastination as I can afford at the moment. :roll:
I'm just wondering how you would respond to his progress. I guess we can't do much cooperation without jumping chapters here and there.
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/

Return to “Teaser Feedback”