Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There

Enjoyed one of our teasers? tell us here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading "Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There" ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
0%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 204

garakuta
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There

Post by garakuta »

Doraneko wrote:
LGear wrote:As for the second one, I haven't read it yet so I can't answer you. But it is too bad that there is no update for more than one year. :(
maybe he's busy rewriting volume 4 :) ah but volume 4 will out this month right? ... ...
I hope it will sells better so that more people will notice this serie. volume 1 - 3 sells at 100.000 copies. I don't know if this is good or bad. as for light novel we know the popular one sells at millions, the average ones still sells more at 2 millions. well maybe 100.000 is not bad? the price is 3 times of LN after all.

thanks for that scene's translation, one sadistic way of appearing that :lol:
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Doraneko »

thanks for that scene's translation, one sadistic way of appearing that :lol:
Lol it is fun in a twisted way. :lol:

garakuta wrote: volume 1 - 3 sells at 100.000 copies. I don't know if this is good or bad. as for light novel we know the popular one sells at millions, the average ones still sells more at 2 millions. well maybe 100.000 is not bad? the price is 3 times of LN after all.
Since the price of the hard-covered novels of gates is around 3x of paperback light novels, I think it is pretty good to have around 33k sales per book. Convert it into light novel standard, it is equivalent to 100k sales per volume.

When you talk about certain light novels selling 2 million, you are talking about the whole series, not sales per book.

The few top dogs of the industry (Oreimo, DRRR, etc) may get around 150k sales per volume, but the majority can hardly reach even half of that.

Reaching 100k sales per volume (adjusted to LN standard) as a totally new author freshly from the web novel scene - I would say it is quite an achievement.

And here is an estimate of the royalty the author got for the first three books. Do note that royalty is calculated by the total number of books printed, not actual sales. Therefore the actual figure is likely to be higher.

JPY1700 x 100k x 10% = JPY 17,000,000 = USD 212,959

Btw JSDF has just developed another new toy for its soldiers. Awesome speed (max 60km/h), stability and manoeuvring for such a design. I still can't figure out how stability is achieved or how can it self-rotate without a tail propeller.

Imagine seeing them chasing around elves in the fantasy land :mrgreen: . They also mentioned that only 110k yen was spent to build the pilot model in the video, using parts available in Akihabara...

Otaku soldiers are certainly no fantasy. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... h7dPgzMgf0

Image Image Image

My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
RndCodeGen
Astral Realm

Post by RndCodeGen »

So, I have just added another bit to the prologue in the wiki. This took a bit more work than the first part, but hopefully it turned out acceptable.

In any case, I was wondering. Is there a preferred way, when posting translations, i.e. are smaller parts like now okay, or should I accumulate a bit more before updating?
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Thanks for your work!

It looks fine overall. Here are just some minor suggestions. :)

1. The official name of the Japanese parliament is the Diet.

If there is a government in the Special Region and somebody there is in charge, as the government of our country we must firmly demand a sincere apology and reparations from them.
The PM also demanded 責任者の引き渡し. Something along the line of "extradition of personnels responsible" should be fine.

As for the update frequency issue, well you are the one doing the translation so you have full discretion 8). I personally prefer smaller, quicker updates because they are easier for the translation checkers to manage, and can as well keep alive the discussions here and in other forums. But I do know people who hold opposite views.
RndCodeGen
Astral Realm

Post by RndCodeGen »

Doraneko wrote:It looks fine overall. Here are just some minor suggestions. :)
Thanks for looking it over, it's reassuring. :D
1. The official name of the Japanese parliament is the Diet.

If there is a government in the Special Region and somebody there is in charge, as the government of our country we must firmly demand a sincere apology and reparations from them.
The PM also demanded 責任者の引き渡し. Something along the line of "extradition of personnels responsible" should be fine.
I've adjusted both, although I really wonder how I missed that second part. Oops.
As for the update frequency issue, well you are the one doing the translation so you have full discretion 8). I personally prefer smaller, quicker updates because they are easier for the translation checkers to manage, and can as well keep alive the discussions here and in other forums. But I do know people who hold opposite views.
Alright, I'll keep doing it this way then for now. :D
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

RnD how long did it take to translate the 2nd part of the prologue?
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Vol. 4 will hit the shelves in three days. Here is the cover art. :D :D :D :D

There will also be a book signing event on 8th July.
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

Pretty cool cover artwork!
animee1
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by animee1 »

Love this novel! Next month I'll go to Japan. Sold :3
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

animee1 wrote:Love this novel! Next month I'll go to Japan. Sold :3
Lol you may as well join the signing event during your stay. :D
animee1
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by animee1 »

Unfortunately I go from 25 (July) to 25 (August)

I'm thinking... One of my friends goes in one week... MUAHAHA XD

Could you give me some info of the event?

edit: ok... http://www.bunkyodo.co.jp/danhp/hama/007-002.htm

Deleted Guest posts. - TGM
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

There will be a manga adaptaion. The first chapter will be released on 30th July. :D

Hopefully the series will be popular enough to get an anime eventually.

Some new images extracted from the latest flash banner. Lelei seems to be the centre of the story for vol. 4.

ImageImage
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

I have to admit the manga cover doesn't look as well drawn as the light novel covers.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Indeed. But to be fair, the amount of time a mangaka is allowed to spend on per page (from less than an hour to no more than a day) is totally incomparable with that of illustrators (from weeks to months). It is unrealistic to expect both having exactly the same level of details.

Anyway I will reserve my judgement on the manga art till 30th.

EDIT: Just googled the name of the mangaka. Some of his military illustrations are amazing. The only problem is, as I just mentioned, how much quality can he squeeze out in a limited time frame.

ImageImageImageImage
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

Here is a preview of the first chapter of the manga: http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/view_manga.php?no=46

Return to “Teaser Feedback”