Shinsekai Yori

Enjoyed one of our teasers? tell us here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should 'From the New World' be translated?

Yes
98%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
1%
No (Please give a reason)
1%

Total votes: 616

armin64
Astral Realm

Re: From the New World (新世界より)

Post by armin64 »

I am eternally grateful!!
Dusanh
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dusanh »

This book interests me greatly and I needed some not boring way to practice and improve my Kanji skills, so I started producing a translation of it myself 2 months ago. I've finished the preface and first chapter, and am roughly half way through the second. I was asking around my friends looking for proofreaders and someone suggested I post it here.

I've never been to the site before, so I'm not an officially registered translator, nor do I know how to become one yet (I'll be looking for that after I post this) and I have no idea if there are any plans for an official translation any time soon. I plan to continue working on this on my own regardless of if I am allowed to post it here as an official project or not, so I don't care if it gets canceled when an official translation does finally happen.

Just a warning, this is my first time translating anything more complex than manga, and it's not a light novel, It's a monster of a full sized novel between 950 and 1700 pages depending on which version of it you have. (I've seen it sold as one huge book and as a set of 3) What this means is that my rate of translation is not going to be spectacular. I'm currently managing about 1 page every 3-5 hours, and I only have so much free time.

In any case, I'd be happy to put my work up here for others to enjoy if the people in charge will let me, but the process seems long and somewhat confusing from what posts I've read so far. >_<
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Dusanh wrote:This book interests me greatly and I needed some not boring way to practice and improve my Kanji skills, so I started producing a translation of it myself 2 months ago. I've finished the preface and first chapter, and am roughly half way through the second. I was asking around my friends looking for proofreaders and someone suggested I post it here.

I've never been to the site before, so I'm not an officially registered translator, nor do I know how to become one yet (I'll be looking for that after I post this) and I have no idea if there are any plans for an official translation any time soon. I plan to continue working on this on my own regardless of if I am allowed to post it here as an official project or not, so I don't care if it gets canceled when an official translation does finally happen.

Just a warning, this is my first time translating anything more complex than manga, and it's not a light novel, It's a monster of a full sized novel between 950 and 1700 pages depending on which version of it you have. (I've seen it sold as one huge book and as a set of 3) What this means is that my rate of translation is not going to be spectacular. I'm currently managing about 1 page every 3-5 hours, and I only have so much free time.

In any case, I'd be happy to put my work up here for others to enjoy if the people in charge will let me, but the process seems long and somewhat confusing from what posts I've read so far. >_<
Welcome on BT, then. To approve a project, you need at least one complete chapter (which you have translated), so it's ok here.

Since you're translating a long novel, I'm sure that you'll get some help for the project page's creation, where you'll be able to put your chapters. Anyway, good luck with the project.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Dusanh
Mikuru's Master

Post by Dusanh »

Thanks for the encouragement,
I'm somewhat confused as to what to do next though. The startup guide suggests contacting all of the admins, but I can't send private messages and only a few of them have external emails listed in their user profile. Should I just mail those few and hope one of them sees it soon, or is there somewhere else on the forum I should post to get their attention?
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

It's odd that your nickname isn't pink... normally, until you have 10 posts, you can't send PM.

I'll send it, so that you can put all of your work asap.

For the project page, well, I'd take too much time to do it, so...
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Dusanh
Mikuru's Master

Post by Dusanh »

Thanks for the help,
It seems I may now be able to send private messages, but I'm not certain. I am able to access the menu and try to write them now, but when I try to send, nothing appears in my sent messages folder. Speaking of which, sorry if I sent you multiple identical messages. If you didn't receive them, please tell me here so I can know for sure if I'm actually able to send messages yet or not.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

I'll step out of the shadows. :roll:

Your PMs upon being sent are in your "Outbox" tab until one of the recipients reads it. (If you send it to a whole group, it only takes one read to move it from the "Outbox" to the "Sent messages" tab.) I'm certain you can send PMs, it's just the idea of an "Outbox" is pretty uncommon nowadays. :lol:

I am certainly not somebody you should ask regarding the startup, though....in terms of active users, probably EusthEnoptEron or Darklor (sorry for selling your services you two) would be the fastest and most knowledgeable regarding this aspect. Darklor's main purpose it seems is advertising teasers, so he'd be able to help you out the most probably.

You need to remember that it will be a teaser until it is a "Full project" (and gets the proper link on the sidebar)...which could take years or a day. For now even with you having already done so much, you should just make a teaser, since beyond the Teaser status requires administrative action.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Just make a teaser project, provided that it's not licensed. Let's worry about approving or not only when you've done substantial work. There are only 2 people who can approve and they are nearly impossible to contact.
Dohma
Project Translator

Post by Dohma »

Good luck on the project, and thanks for picking it up. I haven't tried the book myself, but the anime got me interested.

It's not really that difficult making a project page, I made one myself a while ago an actually just copy-pasted most of it from another teaser project, so you can just resort to that tactic.
Someone will probably patch it up for you in the end anyway.
Dusanh
Mikuru's Master

Post by Dusanh »

Okay, The page is created and the first chapter posted. There's still some work to be done in getting everything formatted properly, but it should be good enough for now.

Thank You to everyone who helped me figure all of this stuff out.

I hope to have the second chapter finished and posted within the next week. After that, assuming nothing changes in my pace and free time, and that no other translaters join the project, you can probably expect about one chapter every 1-2 months. I hope to be able to pick up the pace as I improve my skills, but I can't promise anything in that regard at this point.
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

There's a possibility the novel might get licensed: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... el-license

...Just letting you guys know.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Well, we can't help it. The project isn't too far in the novel, but the license isn't certain. Dusahn, your opinion about this?
----
Dusanh
Mikuru's Master

Post by Dusanh »

I was working on this as a means of improving my language skills before I ever considered posting it on baka-tsuki. I don't plan to stop on the possibility of it being licensed. Far too many books have been considered for english publication and then never persued, or licensed and then never published for me to trust any company to get it done.

Assuming it actually does happen, I'll probably continue working on it untill the official translation is actually published and then loose interest once the temptation to just read it in english gets the better of me. :roll: (This is what happned with my attempt to translate Seikai no Monshu some years ago) On the one hand I would be happy to see a good Japanese book published in English, and on the other I would be annoyed at loosing such an interesting project, but I don't think I would ever consider work done before said publication a waste of time, since improving my own Japanese reading skill is one of my main reasons for doing this.

I may look for another project to join in on here at that point, but the hardest part of translation for me is finding a book I care about enough to hold my interest over the long hours of work required to get it done. The only partially completed projects here that interest me enough to try are Kino no Tabi, Shakugan no Shana, Seikai no Senki, and Kara no Kyokai. Especially the latter two, but I'm not sure if you are even allowing people to work on those any more due to their uncertain licensing status. I might also consider starting a project for the 3rd book in the YukiKaze series. The first two were published in English some time ago, but I havn't seen anything about the 3rd being done yet and I really want to see how it ends.

I suppose the best way to sum it up is, I'll decide what to do about that when/if it actually happens.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

If this is licensed, you can't have the project here. You would have to find another place to post or start your own site.

As far as I know, Kara no Kyoukai has been fully translated by someone else.
Dusanh
Mikuru's Master

Post by Dusanh »

larethian wrote:If this is licensed, you can't have the project here. You would have to find another place to post or start your own site.
I understand that you don't host licensed work here, what I meant is that (and I don't mean to sound heartless or ungrateful) it doesn't particularly matter to me if my work gets posted for others to see or not. It pleases me to think that my work may make some other fans happy if posted here, but that isn't my only or even primary motivation for doing the translation. I'll continue working on it for the sake of improving my own skills until the actual release even if I'm the only one who ever sees it.

larethian wrote:As far as I know, Kara no Kyoukai has been fully translated by someone else.
Do you mean some other website/group? Because the translation posted here ends half way through volume 5 and is listed as reactivated but stalled.

Return to “Teaser Feedback”