Hataraku Maou-sama!

Enjoyed one of our teasers? tell us here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How was it?

I might try translating this
9%
Great
91%
Soso
1%
No good
No votes

Total votes: 936

deathmailrock
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Hataraku Maou-sama!: General

Post by deathmailrock »

denormative wrote:
deathmailrock wrote:how the heck did I get Valkyrie??? I probably just mixed it up with something else and named it too fast, cause I don't really know how to read chinese...... maybe I should look that up
Or misremembered after a google or something. From looks like it's 女武神 is Valkyrie in Chinese: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A5%B3% ... 6%E7%A5%9E

(Always figured it's a good thing I don't have kids, otherwise I'd likely end up with daughters with names like Brynhildr or Svafa. At least Rossweisse has guessable spelling/pronunciation derivable from either.)
maybe :P darn, I thought I had a Kanji right; I just gotta practice..... and it's a good thing that I don't have kids either, else my parents would kill me....
Favorite Anime characters include Erza Scarlet, Uzumaki Kushina, and Kousaka Kirino

Nee-chan and Milf type sexy red-heads are the best kinda anime women

I am a proud fanboy of Erza Scarlet and Uzumaki Kushina and Kousaka Kirino
suzerain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by suzerain »

deathmailrock wrote:I'm wondering something, for volume 3, the prolouge, is it complete? (minus the editing???)
Yep, its complete. Not too much to edit unless someone wants to change the entirety of it from present to past tense. :D
deathmailrock
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by deathmailrock »

suzerain wrote:
deathmailrock wrote:I'm wondering something, for volume 3, the prolouge, is it complete? (minus the editing???)
Yep, its complete. Not too much to edit unless someone wants to change the entirety of it from present to past tense. :D
then is it okay if I remove the "{{Incomplete|comments=Pending major edits for English}}"???
Favorite Anime characters include Erza Scarlet, Uzumaki Kushina, and Kousaka Kirino

suzerain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by suzerain »

Hm, its certainly not incomplete, but the present tense narration isn't consistent with the other translations so far. Other than that, there are one or two missing words or so, nothing big. :?

Maybe you could just leave the "Pending major edits.." part.
Imperial
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Imperial »

suzerain wrote:Hm, its certainly not incomplete, but the present tense narration isn't consistent with the other translations so far. Other than that, there are one or two missing words or so, nothing big. :?

Hmm, the way I read it, present tense in a narrative fashion seemed to suit the passage/chapter fine, or was it originally written in past tense? (Because the way it is now, it would be fine if homogenized wholly to the past or present tense).
deathmailrock
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by deathmailrock »

Imperial wrote:
suzerain wrote:Hm, its certainly not incomplete, but the present tense narration isn't consistent with the other translations so far. Other than that, there are one or two missing words or so, nothing big. :?

Hmm, the way I read it, present tense in a narrative fashion seemed to suit the passage/chapter fine, or was it originally written in past tense? (Because the way it is now, it would be fine if homogenized wholly to the past or present tense).
It doesn't seem wrong though, how is it not consistent??? I might be missing something

the main problem is the that it makes it feel like it's wrong when the "incomplete" and "major edits" are up.....

Imperial
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Imperial »

deathmailrock wrote:
It doesn't seem wrong though, how is it not consistent??? I might be missing something

the main problem is the that it makes it feel like it's wrong when the "incomplete" and "major edits" are up.....
What we mean is that some parts are in present tense while other parts are in past tense, when they should be the other, or written (as a passage/paragraph) as only past or present.
suzerain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by suzerain »

Imperial wrote:Hmm, the way I read it, present tense in a narrative fashion seemed to suit the passage/chapter fine, or was it originally written in past tense? (Because the way it is now, it would be fine if homogenized wholly to the past or present tense).
Ah no, the tense is fine, grammatically. What I mean is that when compared to the translations for the two chapters up for Volume 1, for example, there is a difference. Those are in past tense.

It's preference really, maybe tradition. I'm just so used to reading past tense 3rd person.
Imperial
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Imperial »

suzerain wrote:
Ah no, the tense is fine, grammatically. What I mean is that when compared to the translations for the two chapters up for Volume 1, for example, there is a difference. Those are in past tense.

It's preference really, maybe tradition. I'm just so used to reading past tense 3rd person.
Well if that's the case, its really your call (as the translator) whether you want to keep it in narrative present tense or past tense (but present tense still sounds better, since there is a considerable bit of dialogue by the woman)
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

With regards to why there's the "incomplete" tag on the V3 prologue page, if you go back to the right page of this thread, you'll see that the translator was not confident in his or her English grammar and wanted to indicate that somehow (I was probably responsible for giving him/her the idea to use the incomplete tag to say so). So if the page has been looked over and seems good, then I'd say you'd be justified removing the incomplete tag.

With regards to the narrative tense of the prologue, I agree that it should be consistent with the other translated chapters for this project (as past tense). This is a relatively common debate on BT projects, and people obviously have different preferences on which they think is more enjoyable reading (I heavily favor past tense). Neither choice is inherently more "correct" than the other. Though there is a population of works in the present tense, the vast majority of professionaly published English language novels use past tense, and I think that tends to influence the prevalence of past tense on BT. I think it makes sense to convert the prologue to past tense, as past tense is the current majority tense, and future translation look like they will be past tense.
deathmailrock
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by deathmailrock »

Cthaeh wrote:With regards to why there's the "incomplete" tag on the V3 prologue page, if you go back to the right page of this thread, you'll see that the translator was not confident in his or her English grammar and wanted to indicate that somehow (I was probably responsible for giving him/her the idea to use the incomplete tag to say so). So if the page has been looked over and seems good, then I'd say you'd be justified removing the incomplete tag.

With regards to the narrative tense of the prologue, I agree that it should be consistent with the other translated chapters for this project (as past tense). This is a relatively common debate on BT projects, and people obviously have different preferences on which they think is more enjoyable reading (I heavily favor past tense). Neither choice is inherently more "correct" than the other. Though there is a population of works in the present tense, the vast majority of professionaly published English language novels use past tense, and I think that tends to influence the prevalence of past tense on BT. I think it makes sense to convert the prologue to past tense, as past tense is the current majority tense, and future translation look like they will be past tense.
what do you mean as past tense and present tense cause the way it's written, the moments she did her actions, she did them and the moments where i was being explained what happened in the past, was shown in the past, so it's not incomplete and actually works really well... well, since there was no problem, I removed it... I don't really see how it's different from the other chapters to be honest, if it's complete, it shouldn't say things like incomplete, if it could use edits, people could still edit it.....

also in chapter 2, can anyone explain the word play in the 4th note to me? & for the 5th one, it used OL instead of Office Lady? was that how it was in the Raw (or something similar) and if so, could that part be explained?

and does anyone find it sad that this is Emi's "fluent english"
Thank you for your calling.
or is that proper Brit English? (I doubt it is but I don't really know Brit English too well

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

deathmailrock wrote:and does anyone find it sad that this is Emi's "fluent english"
Thank you for your calling.
or is that proper Brit English? (I doubt it is but I don't really know Brit English too well
Honestly I've only ever heard that formulation out of out-sourced tech support help-desks (from India is common here, but I guess anywhere with cheap labour and a population who can be trained to learn English quickly enough works). I'm not actually mocking people for poor English here since you can't expect them to be perfect (it's gotten much better over the years); I'm just slightly shocked that the 'wrong' translation is 'right' in weird ways. :?

Anyway, if it isn't obvious, the correct formal way of saying goodbye in this context in UK/AU English (and no doubt US English as well) as far as I know would be:
Thank you for your call.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
deathmailrock
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by deathmailrock »

denormative wrote:Honestly I've only ever heard that formulation out of out-sourced tech support help-desks (from India is common here, but I guess anywhere with cheap labour and a population who can be trained to learn English quickly enough works). I'm not actually mocking people for poor English here since you can't expect them to be perfect (it's gotten much better over the years); I'm just slightly shocked that the 'wrong' translation is 'right' in weird ways. :?

Anyway, if it isn't obvious, the correct formal way of saying goodbye in this context in UK/AU English (and no doubt US English as well) as far as I know would be:
Thank you for your call.
Ya, well it wasn't saying good bye.... and the problem isn't that it's bad grammar, I just find it funny that it's considered "Fluent English"
yet people complain when american otaku use badly placed Japanese words in there sentences, yet Japs in anime use misplaced English
(and apparently not in anime alone)

and it wasn't for cheap labor since it seems most of their workers actually get calls from Japan and it's a Japanese phone company

Also, for the anime, is there a sub group that translated this anime and explained the Japanese terms and jokes in their translation?

suzerain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by suzerain »

deathmailrock wrote:also in chapter 2, can anyone explain the word play in the 4th note to me? & for the 5th one, it used OL instead of Office Lady? was that how it was in the Raw (or something similar) and if so, could that part be explained?
Well, it starts off with Ashiya saying that Emi put down a different age, using "...サバ読んでいた..." The phrase actually does use "mackerel (鯖/saba)" in it. Google "鯖読み" if you want.

The translation is missing Maou's sentence after "Still, don’t you normally do a lower age for these things?". Maou says, "By the way, is it really called 'saba'?"

As for OL, yep, that's how its typed in the text. Dunno if there's any significance with that though. :|

*Edit

As for a sub group that explained the jokes, I don't think there are any. There's a few jokes that have been neglected too.

*Edit for a happier post
deathmailrock
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by deathmailrock »

suzerain wrote:
deathmailrock wrote:also in chapter 2, can anyone explain the word play in the 4th note to me? & for the 5th one, it used OL instead of Office Lady? was that how it was in the Raw (or something similar) and if so, could that part be explained?
Well, it starts off with Ashiya saying that Emi put down a different age, using "...サバ読んでいた..." The phrase actually does use "mackerel (鯖/saba)" in it. Google "鯖読み" if you want.

The translation is missing Maou's sentence after "Still, don’t you normally do a lower age for these things?". Maou says, "By the way, is it really called 'saba'?"

As for OL, yep, that's how its typed in the text. Dunno if there's any significance with that though. :|

*Edit

As for a sub group that explained the jokes, I don't think there are any. There's a few jokes that have been neglected too.

*Edit for a happier post
can you explain it in the chapter notes? I'm not sure how to explain the first joke properly, and it did have the thing about Saba, except it was translated as Mackerel, and makes no sense in English.....

Darn, I wish there were more translators that kept things in the Japanese context and explained it on the top, lately, it seems most of the translators are more "liberal" (though not necessarily less accurate, so don't misunderstand) than literal and explaining what the things meant (which I realize is probably more work trying to explain it while translating)

Return to “Teaser Feedback”