Mahou Sensou

Enjoyed one of our teasers? tell us here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading "Mahou Sensou"?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
No votes
Boring. Not touching it again.
No votes

Total votes: 242

jin_ssi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahou Sensou

Post by jin_ssi »

Kouen no Ten wrote:Jin, which tense are you gonna use? Past tense or the present tense?

PS: Get a pack of gatorade, and drink it frequently while translating. It really helps you out.
I was reading through and it looks there is a lot of past tense, what do most people use when they translate? I was trying to do it based on the dialogue which I think is the reason why there is some present tense in there as well. But that probably isn't good.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

jin_ssi wrote: I was reading through and it looks there is a lot of past tense, what do most people use when they translate? I was trying to do it based on the dialogue which I think is the reason why there is some present tense in there as well. But that probably isn't good.
It varies, but I'd say the majority use past tense for the narrative. Most (but not all) English language fiction novels are written with the narrative completely in the past tense, and I think most translators adapt whatever the tenses are in the original LN to reflect that style. There are also translators and projects here that use present or mixed tense narrative, whether because the translator wants to directly match the style of tense in the Japanese, or because they have a personal preference for present tense English novels. My personal preference as a reader is completely past tense narrative, since that's what I am most used to reading in English.
Last edited by Cthaeh on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kouen no Ten
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kouen no Ten »

The majority uses past tense (as Cthaeh pointed out). You can just rephrase the sentence into past tense.

Give this a quick look http://www.soas.ac.uk/languagecentre/te ... anslation/, it'll be helpful.

Don't worry about the translated text, we'll find an editor to do the work. So just focus on translating.
jin_ssi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jin_ssi »

I just hope I don't end giving the editor more work to do, seeing as my goal is to try to be as accurate as possible. Thanks for the link. Translating a novel is completely different from translating skill descriptions. :)
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

If you can find an editor who even does something worth being called "editing", he/she won't mind a certain workload. You don't appear to be someone who's English is next to broken, so don't translate with editors on your mind too much.
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Hiyono »

The best thing you can do for an editor is be consistent. Many translators tend to give up quickly after realizing just how demanding translating can be. Slow and steady beats fast and then not-at-all.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
jin_ssi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jin_ssi »

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't plan on giving up anyways, if I start something I usually tend to finish it. Besides translating this novel is a good way to keep my brain active while I am not attending any classes. The worst thing to have is a stagnant mind.
jin_ssi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jin_ssi »

Part 3 is up on the page, I think I am doing okay as far as progress goes.
Kouen no Ten
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kouen no Ten »

I'll be starting the proofreading after part 4 is done.
jin_ssi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jin_ssi »

I expect Part 4 to be completed by sometime tomorrow which will then put the overall translation of Chapter 1 almost at 50% complete.

Edit: By the way Kouen no Ten, that article from the SOAS Language Center helped, especially when it mentioned translating ideas and not words. It's made doing this easier. Thanks.
jin_ssi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jin_ssi »

Sorry, I know I said yesterday I would have part 4 done by today, but it looks more likely to be done tomorrow, I worked all day today and I still have 5 more pages to translate for part 4.
jin_ssi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jin_ssi »

Part 4 is completed and posted on the page. ETA on Part 5, I don't really know, it's relativity short so it shouldn't take too long.

Edit: Part 5 is completed Translation of Chapter 1 is at 50%.
magref
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by magref »

Gambatte! :] It feels good to see a chapter done up :D... hehe I'm gonna start me a new chapter tomorrow too... bonus chapters for Mondaiji-tachi ga isekai kara soudesu yo :P

Don't care about editing... just finish a chapter then read through all the way.... that's wat i do anyways..bleh :P
Void Undead Spectator who likes Percher.
My Translation names and terminologies
Volumes taken up: 3,4,5,6
jin_ssi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by jin_ssi »

Just an update, I haven't stopped translating this chapter, it should be finished by Tues night/early Weds morning. I have all Monday and Tues off.
bronx819
Kyonist

Post by bronx819 »

I kind of feel bad for only saying its great based on the anime, but I feel like if I started reading it I would love it. The anime feels really rushed so I'd like to see how the story goes with a good pace

Return to “Teaser Feedback”