OLN: Parallel Encounter

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

akaxiii
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

OLN: Parallel Encounter

Post by akaxiii »

Hello there! Coming across the Baka-Tsuki website three years ago, I have read a couple of translated light novels, which in turned inspired me to write an original light novel myself! Known as Ryou Arubin in FictionPress, I present to you my story, Parallel Encounter!

Synopsis:
Spoiler! :
What if the world you know... isn't the only one out there in this boundless universe?

What if the people you meet... isn't the same person you know of?

What if... everything is fated?
Doppelgangers, the evil living double of humans, sought to threaten the existence of all parallel worlds that existed in this boundless universe. Although Sugisata Nariaki possessed the "Denscrant" eyes that allowed him to perceive visions from parallel worlds, he doesn't realize it until he failed to save a vision of his best friend from an accident...
Chapter 1
Spoiler! :
第一章:パラレル世界からの幻視
Chapter 1: Visions from a Parallel World

Part 1

Three years ago, that incident happened.

Even though the noise level was comparable to the school's Cultural Festival Day, the atmosphere wasn't as welcoming as it was.

Students disregarded the school rules as they ran in the corridors, crying for help while 'beings' who bore similar looks chased after them.

However, Sugisata Nariaki didn't move a muscle or utter a word. With his legs anesthetized to the floor and back glued to the wall, he faced the two strangers standing in the blood-tainted classroom.

The tall hooded figure raised a question towards the purple ponytail girl.

"Why do you look like you want to kill me too?"

"...You are the one responsible for this chaos, right?"

The obsidian cloak that the tall person donned, the white sailor uniform that the purple-haired girl wore, and likewise the katana that she held, they were all stained with blood oozing from the dead bodies of Nariaki's classmates.

"Who knows? Even if I was, I would have already killed your beloved one sitting over there." The hooded person pointed at Nariaki.

-Me...?

"Then why didn't you kill him?" asked the purple-haired girl.

"Well, it came as a surprise to me, but he is already carrying the same 'fate' as you do, Iseki Kanae."

"Tch! What happened to our promise from one year ago?!"

As if it was foreseen, the hooded intruder hopped back to dodge the katana thrust.

"Woah, that was dangerous! How could you try to kill the person who granted your wish?" rebutted the tall hooded figure. "And our promise wasn't broken. I wasn't the one who gave him those 'eyes'."

"Then whose doing was it?!"

The ponytail girl closed in with an overhead swing, but it only grazed the person's wrinkled cloak.

"Whew! As for your question, it could be my predecessor's doing. But don't you worry about that. His 'eyes' have yet to awaken. I would have liked to hang around a while more, but I've got more important matters to attend to. Bye, Iseki Kanae."

"Hold it!"

The hooded person leaped backwards just as a black portal materialized from behind, and it dissipated into thin air before the fair girl could reach it.

"...I should report in on my current status first." After sheathing her katana, Iseki was about to reach for her pocket when she suddenly spun around. "Hey, do you still have any strength left to stand up?"

"H-Huh? M-Me? I think so..."

It took Nariaki a while before he realized that the question was directed at him. With the help of his hands, he got himself flat-footed as the numbness within his legs dissipated.

"I see." Iseki made her way over to Nariaki while he stood up. "Nariaki-kun, I want you to forget everything that you have seen today."

"Wh-What are you saying? How can I possibly not forget what I just saw...? Why are you holding up your -"

Iseki struck Nariaki at the lower back of his head with her sheathed katana. She then caught him from falling with her free hand, and left him lying near the dead bodies.

"Don't think too badly of me, Nariaki-kun. I am doing this to protect you."

Part 2

June 9, 20A5. Monday.

“So, let’s move on to parallel lines.”

After picking up a chalk from the wooden tray, the owner of the monotonous voice began writing on the faded slate board.

At this time of the day, on the ceiling of the faded brown room, several ceiling fans have been rotating at a tremendous speed, as if they were going to collapse any moment. Unable to tolerate the scorching heat, some students were leaning over the polished table in front of them.

Donned in their summer uniforms, the students struggled to keep up with the pace set by the bespectacled white-haired adult standing in front of the chalk board. Holding a pen on their dominant hand, they furiously scribbled on their notebooks while their heads bobbed up and down repeatedly, capturing new information that continued to appear on the chalk board.

Even so, a brown layered hair student couldn't be bothered to copy down notes. The notebook lying on his vandalized desk was as clean as canvas and with the apathetic look on his fair round face, his name was Sugisata Nariaki.

Sitting at the secluded back and beside the dust-filled windows, Nariaki propped his head up with his bent forearm as he gazed down at the red loopy track field.

Although the number of students running on the track field could easily make up a class, Nariaki had kept his dark pupil eyes focused on a certain female student from the beginning.

“Iseki Kanae,” Nariaki muttered to himself while admiring at the female student's elegant purple hair tied up into a ponytail.

Not long after, he began reminiscing about his past.

On the first week of the school semester, Narita High School held the co-curriculum activities fiesta, where the first-year students patronized the club booths found in every part of the campus. While Nariaki thought of joining the Kendo club, a huge commotion by the volleyball court distracted him and it was that moment, where he saw Iseki Kanae.

While waiting for the start of the next point, the striking mauve-haired girl stood within the hard court's boundaries with her knees bent. As the opposing team led the attack, she coordinated her team in forming a defense formation. Even before the player from the opposing team stroke the ball, she had already anticipated where it would land, and promptly shouted to a teammate who then managed to prevent the opposing team from taking the point.

After her teammates set up the counterattack, Iseki delayed her timing of striking the ball to throw off the defenders, ending the point with a spike that grazed the white lines at a corner of the opposing team’s court side.

Loud cheers and clapping burst out from the observers near the volleyball court, and a few other students including Nariaki got startled, unable to comprehend what was going on.

As both teams lined up and faced each other, Nariaki then grasped the reason behind the sudden spike in the cheers and claps.

The friendly match was over, and players from both teams bowed down as they thanked one another for the game.
Soon after, the captain of the volleyball club wearing a armband around her sleeve went up to Iseki and offered a handshake. Although looking slightly surprised by that gesture at first, she then took the captain's hand with a smile on her face.

After reviewing his memories, instead of facing the chalk board like his classmates does, Nariaki’s eyes continued to follow Iseki as she made a turn around the curve. Neither his teacher’s preaching of parallel lines nor did the desperate scribbling sound coming from his fellow classmates distracted him.

“Stop dragging your legs, you wimps! Is that all that you got?!” Coming from the sheltered area located near the track field, Nariaki heard the shout loud and clear.

“Darn that Abe-sensei, making the whole class to run rounds in such a hot weather.” Nariaki changed his attention to the bald head teacher who stood under the shelter, rehydrating himself with plain water.

Indeed, the afternoon sun was intolerable for any outdoor activities. For anyone else who was looking down at the track field right now, they would probably share the same hatred that Nariaki harbored. That hatred in subject was against the skin head teacher dressed in orange singlet and blue track pants. The heartless physical education teacher who caused the majority of the suffering class, including all the females, to collapse from either fatigue or dehydration.

Despite having her white top soaked in her sweat, Iseki still kept a cool composure and a steady pace. Even as her breathing grew heavier as time passed, the expression on her delicate face remained undaunted.

-Iseki Kanae. The girl who murdered my classmates from three years ago.

It had been two months since the co-curricular activities fiesta. While Nariaki had only started exploring beyond the boundaries of his classroom after that, it was a coincidence that he found Iseki's class undergoing Physical Education period at this time of the day.

-The adults won't believe me when I told them that she's a murderer, and she could kill me if I confront her directly with this issue that I was supposed to forget. How am I supposed to go about investigating...

-Are you so desperate to see the other side of her?

-Wh-What’s that voice?! Who the heck are you?!

A deep mechanical voice found its way into Nariaki’s mind. As Nariaki began panicking while trying to figure out the unnatural voice’s owner, the unknown voice replied.

-I am simply someone who is interested in you, Sugisata Nariaki. Someone like you who is interested in seeking out the other self of your fellow beings.

-How do you know my name?! Are you someone that I know?!

-My identity does not take priority in our current conversation. Now back to my first question, do you wish to see the other side of that girl, the other side to this world that you are living in? Even though it may cost you "your life"?

It would have been an outright lie if Nariaki wasn’t horrified from listening to that “voice”, where he couldn’t manage to figure out its origin. But his following answer to the offer was obvious, since it was his wish at that point of time, to uncover the other side of Iseki Kanae, to uncover who she really was.

-I-I want to. Even if it’s at the expense of my life, I want to see the other side of Iseki Kanae, the other side of this world!

-A seal detected... must be the work of the predecessors. Activating seal, Denscrant.

With his eyes blanked out, Nariaki fell into a trance as the “voice” that intruded his thoughts uttered some command. As the minute hand of the wall clock moved to the 55th minute...

-Ack! Nariaki winced as though he had received an injection into his eyes. Using the back of his palms, he began rubbing them to relieve the sting feeling.

After massaging his eyes till the pain had completely disappeared, the scene upon glimpsing down the track field again left Nariaki astonished, as if he had received chocolates from a female student on Valentine’s Day.

-Huh? Was there another girl running beside Iseki Kanae’s lane? I thought all the other girls had given up already… and she looked exactly like-

Before Nariaki could finish his train of thought, he felt a stare like an eagle keeping a close eye on its prey coming from inside the classroom.

“Sugisata-kun, what is there outside the windows that is of more interest to you?”

“Huh, I was looking at Iseki –”

Upon hearing his family name being called sternly, Nariaki turned and saw an adult with his arms folded.

It was his math teacher, Itou-sensei, who was currently conducting lessons on parallel lines for his class. Even though math wasn’t his cup of tea, Nariaki still took the risk to ignore Ito-sensei’s lesson, despite hearing rumors surrounding the bespectacled white-haired teacher being the strictest educator in Narita High School.

While Ito-sensei adjusted the bridge of his half-framed spectacles, Nariaki saw the eyes of a predator ready to devour its prey through the transparent lens.

Feeling intimidated, his body leaned backwards on natural reflexes. Since the hind legs of the wooden chair couldn’t handle the sudden change in his weight distribution, it lost its balance, resulting in him landing on the back of his head as he shut his eyes.

Pomm! “Ouch!!”

“AHAHAHAHAHA!!”

Every other student in the classroom began laughing their hearts out, as if their boredom spawned from lengthy theories had been relived upon witnessing a clumsy clown’s act. As Ito-sensei took a step closer to Nariaki...

Pomm! "Ouch! Whose banana peel is this?!"

“AHAHAHAHAHA!!”

The laughter continued as Ito-sensei slipped. And the culprit was...

"Sorry, Ito-sensei. I didn't know it fell onto the floor after I was done eating."

Saruwatari Keitaro who sat near the fallen Ito-sensei. With his hairstyle and looks similar to a monkey, he gazed down at Ito-sensei without a sense of guilt while grinning.

"So it was you, Saruwatari Keitaro." Ito-sensei got himself up as he dusted his clothes. "Come with me to the staff room after the period is over."

"Yes, yes."

While Ito-sensei strolled back to the front, Keitaro sent a wink and thumbs-up to the student seated in front of Nariaki. The student then returned with the same greetings and promptly shuffled over to Nariaki.

“Yo, need a hand?” As Nariaki opened his eyes, a guy with an untidy mullet hairstyle and fringe parted to both sides stood in front of him while offering a hand.

“Yeah." Nariaki got up to his feet with a helping hand. "Thanks, Kazuki.”

As the Narita High School bell rang at the start, middle, and end of the day, the whole class screamed for joy when it rang for the third time.

Nariaki and Kazuki went back to their seats, stuffing their books and stationeries that were lying on their vandalized table into their dusky school bag. As for those students who walked past Nariaki’s seat, they continued to laugh at him, for his earlier clumsy act and his disheveled brown layered hair.

Having done packing his stuffs, Nariaki glanced up to check on Kazuki, but he saw Keitaro exiting the classroom with Ito-sensei in the corner of his eyes.

"Hey Kazuki, why is Keitaro following Ito-sensei?"

"Hmm? He helped you to take revenge against Ito-sensei, that's why. Hahaha!"
Even though Kazuki started laughing, Nariaki couldn't help but to feel worried as he knew that Ito-sensei wasn't going to let Keitaro off the hook so easily.

“Anyway buddy, wanna follow me to the games shop? I found out that the basketball game that I've been waiting ages for is finally out!” Sensing the uneasiness emitting from Nariaki, Kazuki tried to ease his buddy's mood by changing topic.

-Hmm, the games shop huh?

"I don't mind, but shouldn't we wait for Keitaro? I am sure he wants to come along too.”

"No worries about that yo. He will meet us there and asked for us to go ahead first. Oh, and there's a small note for you, Nariaki."

As Kazuki showed Nariaki the screen of his handphone that had a basketball strap dangling off, the latter started browsing through the message. While the first part of the message did ask for Kazuki to go ahead first, the second part caused Nariaki to twitch his eyes.

"...So now, for taking revenge against Ito-sensei, I owe him a bunch of Role's bananas...? I didn't even ask him to avenge me in the first place!"

"Hahaha! Don't sweat over it too much, buddy. Let's make our way to the games shop now yo!"

"There goes my allowances for this week..."

After Nariaki pushed the teak chair back into the desk, the pair shuffled out of their crowded classroom together. They struggled to make their way out as many students clogged the campus hallways.

When they stepped outside of the school’s boundary, Nariaki paused for a while, turning his head to his left and right. Whilst, he began recollecting the route that led to Narita Shopping District, since the games store that Kazuki mentioned earlier was located there.

“It’s to the left yo.” Kazuki patted his best friend’s back.

Part 3

Although the duo walked side by side on the sidewalk by the left side of the road, it was as if they were attending an ongoing funeral until Kazuki decided to break the silence.

“So partner, were you looking at the girl again? Oh, and what’s her name again? Iseki Kanade?”

“It’s Iseki Kanae.”

Despite Nariaki correcting, Kazuki doesn't seem to be bothered about it and kept quiet.

-Weird, why isn't he making any comments?

Even though the pair had only been acquainted with one another for less than two months, Nariaki had thought for sure that Kazuki would make some remarks to hide his blunder. As he sought to uncover the truth, he caught sight of Kazuki staring at his face.

"...Is there something on my face?"

“Nothing much. Just spotted some blushes, that's all.” Kazuki began smirking slyly.

“No, I am not thinking about her!" After understanding the hidden connotations behind Kazuki's words, Nariaki retorted while keeping his eyes away from Kazuki.

“What a bad liar you are, hahahahaha!” Although quick to deny, Kazuki had seen through Nariaki’s lie.

The reason why Kazuki knew about Iseki Kanae was due to his persistence of pressing Nariaki into reporting about the scenes he observed through the transparent windows every day.

However, Nariaki had never once mentioned about Iseki Kanae's involvement in the incident from three years ago. He also doesn't plan to do so either, since he would be exposing his friend to unnecessary danger.

Since the silence between them was broken, Nariaki quickly changed the topic to the basketball game his travelling companion had been waiting ages for.

“So Kazuki, what’s the name of the basketball game that you are getting?”

“Oh that, well the name is N –”

Nariaki achieved his true aim for changing topic, as Kazuki went on and on to elaborate about it.

Although Kazuki sounded more enthusiastic while talking about the basketball game, Nariaki wasn’t listening, since what he had seen earlier at the track field made him to dive into his thoughts.

-Just what on earth happened? There was another "girl" running beside Iseki Kanae, but I remembered seeing the majority of her class given into exhaustion, and it included all the other girls except her. Moreover, the other "girl" running alongside Iseki Kanae looked exactly like her…

After several minutes of walking, the pair arrived at the end of the sidewalk, and several meters away stood an old solitary pedestrian light.

-I couldn’t have mistaken that "girl" for another person, since nobody else except Iseki Kanae had purple hair, a ponytail and a fringe that slants down diagonally to her left eye… but wait. Before I saw all of that, I was talking to that weird voice in my head and had that sting in my e-

“Yo, we're almost there already!” Kazuki patted Nariaki’s shoulder, while pointing at the shopping district decorative welcome sign found across the road.

“Oh, so we have reached.”

-Ack!!

The prick sensation that Nariaki felt earlier had returned and this time, the pain was far more excruciating. He vigorously rubbed his delicate fingers against his eye lids, trying to get rid of the discomfort in his eyes. Upon regaining normal vision, his face turned pale as if he had seen a ghost.

-Ehh?! Was there a guy waiting by the pedestrian light earlier?

Nariaki took a quick glimpse of that “person” waiting at the pedestrian light, and as he squinted his eyes to take a closer look…

-Impossible... How come he looked so similar to Kazuki? That mullet hairstyle, that miniature basketball strap dangling from his pocket... And what are those red words floating above his head?

“Hey hey Kazuki, can you see that “person” waiting by the pedestrian light?! He looked almost like you!”

Nariaki had discarded his indifferent self. For someone who was uninterested in almost everything that existed in this world, this sighting shook him up badly.

Even though that person he caught sight of was a normal human being that could be found almost anywhere, for him to communicate in such a shaky tone was because the person was a splitting image of his best friend, Narita Kazuki.

“Huh, what “person”? There isn't anybody by the pedestrian light. And your eyes looked a bit weird as well yo…” Kazuki replied in a confused tone while expressing a dumbfounded look.

When Nariaki turned back to the pedestrian light, he could definitely see a "person” resembling Kazuki, and he thought to himself if he was hallucinating.

When the green stick figure on the pedestrian light lit up, the person resembling Kazuki started crossing the pedestrian path marked by two parallel white lines. Nariaki’s eyes followed and he saw two trucks travelling at a tremendous speed.

Even as they were approaching a pedestrian path, their speed didn’t drop, as though the drivers didn’t have any intention to decelerate.

Even though Nariaki had perceived and concluded that both trucks looked alike to one another, the one travelling closer to the sidewalk gave off a phantom vibe.

“Watch out!!”

Without a second thought of doubting that Kazuki’s true identity, Nariaki dropped his school bag and sprinted towards him. The distance between him and the phantom truck wasn’t that far off, and it seemed like he hadn’t noticed the apparitional vehicle.

Despite that, Nariaki believed that he would be able to reach that Kazuki before the cinereal truck does. Closing into an arm length away, he stretched out his right hand in an attempt to pull that Kazuki. Before his palm reached that Kazuki, that Kazuki turned his head around and saw the phantom four-wheeler closing in at high speed.

The lively expression on that Kazuki’s face turned dumbfounded, and his legs froze after being struck by overwhelming fear. Nonetheless, as soon as Nariaki estimated his range and determined his timing, he tried to grab that Kazuki's sleeve and to his surprise; his palm went past that Kazuki’s shoulder.

-What the-

Before Nariaki knew, he had ran past that Kazuki’s body. Using the soles of his blemished shoes to create friction, he tried to stop his momentum. Barely halting at the right lane of the road, the other truck he saw earlier sped past in front of his face.

Vrrmm! A fast breeze of wind brushed past Nariaki's face, as he thought that he was knocking on death’s door at that instance. What brought him back to reality was his disordered dark-brown hair, after he realized that they were shoved in the direction the truck travelled.

After groaning for a while, Nariaki began pondering over the fact that he would have died, had he took a step further. However, while recalling the events leading up to this near-death experience, what happened in the beginning made his heart skipped a beat.

Nariaki remembered the two trucks travelling side by side at about the same speed, and that he actually went past that Kazuki’s body while attempting to save him. He then wondered what happened to him. Although he didn’t hear any explosive noise, it didn’t ease his anxiety. When he spun around, his foot staggered backwards when he witnessed the actual conclusion.

The grayish and transparent truck on the left lane had became stationery, and someone had opened the driver seat’s door. A little further from the vehicle, a cinereal middle-aged man who looked like a delivery driver with cardinal writings hovering over his head couldn’t stop trembling. With both wrinkled hands covering the lower part of his disbelieving face, the deliveryman in his forties entered into a state of panic.

Confused, Nariaki couldn’t deduce why the deliveryman made such a face. When he looked in the same direction as the cinereal deliveryman’s eyes were, his eyes and mouth grew bigger and wider than the deliveryman’s.

-No way...

That Kazuki whom Nariaki tried to save earlier was now lying flat on the asphalt. The sight of gray translucent liquid covering his body and the school bag caused Nariaki to cover his mouth, and he couldn’t feel his legs anymore. The air around the vicinity felt heavier and he tried to suppress the despair that hit him. Many questions began swarming through his mind, but the two most important ones were “Is he still alive?” and “What’s his true identity?”

Forcefully, Nariaki dragged his anesthetized legs over to that Kazuki. Ignoring the crimson writings he could see floating above that Kazuki's motionless head, he bent over to examine that Kazuki’s face and it was without a doubt, his best friend “Narita Kazuki”.

-Th-This can’t be true right…?

Nariaki got down on his knees with the intention to take Kazuki’s left hand, to check for pulse for signs of life. Stretching out his shaky right hand, hoping that he would be able to grab Kazuki’s left, it happened again. His trembling hand went past through Kazuki’s, as if he couldn’t made contact with the gray transparent body he perceived through his eyes, as if this Kazuki was either an apparition or an existence that doesn't belong to this world...

-End-
I hope you enjoy reading it!
caparo
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: OLN: Parallel Encounter

Post by caparo »

A nicely written first chapter full of mystery. I like it
oninn
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by oninn »

Woah. I was blown away. Seriously, this was good.

Inclined just for you.
I am normal.
akaxiii
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by akaxiii »

Thank you all for reading it! I am glad that you all enjoyed it.
Last edited by akaxiii on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virgo327
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka!

Post by virgo327 »

Mindblowing story... I really like it! :D :) :D
akaxiii
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by akaxiii »

And here's Chapter 2!

Chapter 2
Spoiler! :
第二章 : «Aequinwelt»
Chapter 2: «Aequinwelt»

Part 1

-No way… I thought it was my imagination but it happened again… Why can’t I make contact with you, “Kazuki”?!

The essence of grief emerged in Sugisata Nariaki’s eyes, as he withdrew his trembling hand while staring at "Kazuki's" lifeless cinereal face.

Failing to save Kazuki’s life, not being able to grasp Kazuki, Nariaki didn’t want to accept any of those facts.

Flipping his retracted hand and clenching it, the by-product of his despair dripped down onto his quivery fist. While his soulless pupils were fixated on Kazuki’s motionless body covered in grey translucent liquid, a realization flashed through his blank mind.

-What if this “Kazuki” is actually an apparition...? This has to be it. How could I have failed to save him otherwise!

However, Nariaki’s train of thoughts didn’t stop there.

-But something doesn’t feel right… How can there be an apparition of Kazuki...?

Somewhat into the occult, Nariaki realized that something was amiss after remembering the definition of an apparition. Apparitions were supernatural beings that appeared when their living body had ceased to function. But apparently, this situation defied that logic.

-Just who is this “Kazuki” then...?

“Nariaki!! Heads up!!”

The desperate shout snapped Nariaki out of his trance-like state. He turned towards the source of the yell, and in his line of sight was Kazuki, who wasn't an apparition devoid of colours.

Anixous, Kazuki kept waving his left hand to get Nariaki’s attention, and his other pointed towards Nariaki’s left.

Taking that as a hint to look in that direction, Nariaki made a counter clock-wise turn and the sight he caught left him stunned.

The cinereal deliveryman was now scrambling towards his phantom truck. Shutting the vehicle door after entering, the front light of the apparitional grey four-wheeler lit up, as it began moving towards the bearing where Nariaki was.

-That deliveryman… Is he planning to run me over?!

Nonetheless, the terrified expression that Nariaki noticed through the truck's front window was telling, that the deliveryman doesn’t want to get arrested.

The figure of the phantom truck grew bigger as it approached Nariaki. Staring at the vehicle more than twice of his height, the fear of death overwhelmed him.

-Shit... Can I get out of the way in time...?

By the time Nariaki got himself flat-footed, he could see the phantom truck up close. Closing his watery eyes, he resigned to his predestined fate as his physical body tightened up.

However, the apparitional truck sped right through his stiff body without causing any unpleasant noise to the neighbourhood. The flow of air around him wasn’t disturbed at all.

-What's going on? I don't feel any pain nor hear any sound. Am I dead already?

However, the truth astonished Nariaki, as the same neighbourhood and the same world filled with colours entered his eyes.

But the thing was, he could not find the cinereal truck as he glanced around.

Before he could put on his thinking cap, he heard the rumbling sound of a vehicle engine. As far as his eyes could perceive, a small figure of a crimson sports car appeared as the unlawful driver continued horning repeatedly.

-Is this it for me?!

Desperately, Nariaki dragged his numbed legs towards the distant sidewalk. As the rumbling noise coming from the sports car grew louder, he turned his head around to check how the distance between him and the sports car.

His legs stopped moving. Looking at the distance between him and the sports car and the speed it was travelling at, he felt that his demise was sealed. It would take a miracle for him to survive in this hopeless situation.

“Stretch out your hand yo!!”

Seeing that his buddy wouldn’t be able to escape unscathed, Kazuki dropped his school bag onto concrete sidewalk and dashed towards Nariaki.

-Kazuki is trying to save me. He must have thought that it is possible to do so. He wouldn’t dash out recklessly just to lose his precious life along with mine. If he hasn’t given up on saving my life, then neither should I!

Following Kazuki’s instructions, Nariaki focused all of his remaining energy in dragging himself closer to Kazuki while stretching out his skinny right arm.

-Rather than letting fate to decide on my destiny, I would bet on this opportunity to save myself. Like the earlier instance where I tried to rescue that apparition, I should do something about this hopeless situation rather than letting the inevitable events played themselves out!

Getting a hold of one another, the duo were left with only a few seconds before proceeding to their meeting with death.

Mustering all his strength, Kazuki pulled his best friend out of the lane. By doing so, the pair barely avoiding their doom, as Nariaki got his back grazed when the red sports car ignorantly accelerated past him.

However, Kazuki didn’t have a good footing when he grabbed Nariaki’s hand. With his body weight leaning backwards after the pulling motion, he couldn’t manoeuvre himself to maintain his balance.

To make matters worse, for Nariaki who had exhausted his remaining strength in closing the distance between Kazuki and himself, the starless asphalt awaited his face as the invisible gravity does its job.

Thump! Upon impact, Nariaki felt a dent in their skull as he shut his eyes.

Nariaki didn't know how much time has passed. Darkness has enveloped his vision, and dizziness has filled his mind.

“Hey buddy, are you still alive?! Answer me if you are yo!!”

In the midst of all that, he heard a familiar energetic voice and felt a familiar hand shaking his shoulders back and forth.

“Oww… not my head again…”

Nariaki groaned as if he didn’t wish to be woken up by that annoying call. Upon regaining his sight, his body jerked up after meeting eye to eye with Kazuki. He then quickly flipped his body over to give his saviour some breathing space.

As though they had crossed the finish line of a marathon, the pair began to take in as much air as they could with their back against the asphalt. Upon regaining adequate strength, they lifted themselves up.

Because of the scorching sun over their heads today, they had imprinted silhouettes of their upper bodies with sweat onto the road. While tending to the wound on his skull, Kazuki took the initiative to get the balls rolling.

“Ahh, everything just happened so suddenly and all over the place… But what’s up with your earlier actions huh? Dashing out to the road so suddenly yo,” questioned Kazuki, playing the role of a police officer interrogating a suspect.

“I was trying to save that “person” who looked like you from a truck, but I failed…”

“Huh? Are you referring to the “person” whom you talked about earlier? You sure you aren’t hallucinating in daylight yo?”

“No, I am not. And that “person” is now lying over there –”

While speaking, Nariaki turned his head over to the spot where he remembered seeing that deceased “Kazuki”, but to his surprise…

“Eh? What happened to that “person”? Where did his body disappeared to?!”

Nariaki couldn’t believe his sight. He thought that his eyes were playing tricks on him, from the moment he saw “Kazuki” standing by the pedestrian light until now. But no matter how long he kept staring at the road, he couldn't find any corpse. Without much thinking, he began leaning back towards the fateful road that could have claimed his life.

“What on earth are you talking about? I didn't see anyone else beside us from the start! Snap out of it already yo!!” Kazuki held his best friend’s shoulder from leaning forward.

“No, I am certainly not daydreaming! I had indeed seen a “person” who looked like you, and I wasn’t able to do a single thing to prevent his death!!” Nariaki’s upper body tried to shake off Kazuki’s grip.

“Look at me, Nariaki. I want to trust that you are telling the truth, but I don’t believe in the existence of apparitions. Moreover, if what you said was indeed true and disregarding my belief, how can there be an apparition of me when I am here, right in front of you?!”

Undoubtedly, Kazuki’s words had hit the center of every dartboard filled with Nariaki’s uncertainty.

After listening reluctantly, Nariaki realized that Kazuki's thoughts were in line with his own. He hadn’t wanted to snap out of it, but it was hearing those lines first-hand from his friend that he returned to reality.

“But but…” Nariaki put up a final resistance, implying that he still wanted to pursue this matter.

“No buts. I reckoned you should go home for the day yo. Seeing you in such a miserable state after getting caught up with events that I barely understood, you're probably in no mood for anything else. Argh, darn the weather, how humid can it get yo?!” Holding the second button of his sweaty uniform, Kazuki shook it back and forth to direct air towards his tanned neck.

Nariaki didn't reply as he stood up and walked to the sidewalk with a bitter face.

Kazuki followed suit and after they picked up their school bags, he expressed his concern.

“Want me to walk you home yo?”

“No need. See you tomorrow at school.”

“I see... Well, don't dwell too much on it, okay? See ya tomorrow!” Kazuki waved his hand before crossing the road to Narita Shopping District.

Although Kazuki had left the vicinity, Nariaki didn’t move a single inch from where he stood. While looking at the area where the apparitional “Kazuki” lay for the last time, he brought his hands together and began praying. After doing so, he left the area with more questions than answers.

Part 2

Staring blankly at the wooden ceiling of his room, Nariaki rested on the tatami-mat with his arms wide open. With the shoji doors by the sides, the gentle breeze caressed his body dressed in white shirt and beige shorts. Even being surrounded by nature’s tranquillity, dreamland had denied his entry since the earlier occurrences had kept his mind occupied.

“Was it really fine to leave that “Kazuki” there? But if Kazuki doesn’t buy my story, the paramedics probably won’t either…” Nariaki raised his right hand towards the ceiling while looking at it, recalling the saddening fact that he couldn’t rescue that apparition.

“Then there was that look-alike “girl” running beside Iseki Kanae’s lane… that “girl” couldn’t be an apparition either...” he remembered that sighting in the midst of his reflection.

“Just what is going on? Along with the “deliveryman”, they all looked like apparitions to me. Even if it’s someone playing a prank on me, their actions were too authentic, as though they were all real people like me…

"Maybe they were all some kind of a vision. But being able to perceive such visions could probably be a sign of bad omen… And then there was that weird voice in my head earlier too… Perhaps I should drop by Narita Temple for a bit.”

Navigating his way through the maze corridor, Nariaki stopped a few meters away from the entryway when a lady’s voice called out his name.

“Where are you going to, Nariaki?” asked a lady donned in an apron with her hair tied up.

“I am dropping by Narita Temple, Mum.”

“Don’t stay out too late, okay? I am making dinner soon. Oh, and help me pass my regards to Reverend Gensai too.”

“I will, Mum.”

Revealing the shoe cupboard, Nariaki took out his black sneakers and put them on. Shuffling through the tranquil garden, the visit to his destination had begun as he took a step out of the brick enclosure.

Part 3

Strolling along the pathway of his hometown, Nariaki watched the white light that embraced the surroundings fading as dawn settled in. Shades of orange engulfed the goods laid out by shop owners who embarked their daily trades on the street.

Although the liveliness here couldn’t hold a candle to Narita Shopping District, the fair teenager cherished the peaceful and unchanging environment, seeing that this was the place he had grown up with.

Not forgetting his main objective, he marched on while exchanging greetings with several shop owners whom he knew of.

Arriving at the gate guarded by two lion statues, he was almost at his journey’s end. Turning his head left and right at interval, he began reminiscing about his past where the temple would be packed with people coming to pray on New Year’s Day.

Climbing up the flight of stairs between two ponds, he skipped the steps as the summer breeze brushed his brown layered hair. Upon arriving at the summit, he couldn't spot anybody within his field of vision.

[Narita Temple’s Main Building Quadrangle]

“Eh? There isn’t anybody around?” Scanning through the area, Nariaki noticed the administration counter by the side had their blinder down.

“The door to the main building is shut tight too… Guess I should just pray for today and consult Reverend Gensai another time.”

Nariaki walked towards the small shrine situated in the middle of the huge quadrangle. After ringing the bell twice, he flipped a 500-yen coin into the offering box. Clapping his hands twice and placing them at chest-level, he began praying, tilting his head down and closing his eyes.

Although he felt some discomfort within his eyelids, he continued praying nonetheless until an old firm voice interrupted his focus.

“Good evening. Sorry for interrupting your prayer, but may I ask if you are Sugisata Nariaki-sama?”

That speech sent chills down Nariaki’s spine when he heard it. Throughout the 15 years of his life, that voice he picked up returned no results after querying through his memories. The articulation of that voice sounded like a veteran butler.

Either way, Nariaki had never been addressed like that before. As he turned to his back, he stuttered in his reply.

“W-Who are you? A-And how do you know my name?”

Like Nariaki had guessed, it was indeed a butler who had called out to him. However, what made him stuttered wasn’t only the butler’s sudden appearance, but the red concentric circles iris that he perceived along with the obsidian pupils under the butler’s arched eyebrows.

“I am Seusmes from «Aequinwelt». I was able to see your name through this pair of “Denscrant” eyes. If you doubt my words, please look at the cardinal writings hovering over my head.” The butler who had silver hair and dark complexion bowed down before Nariaki.

Unwillingly, Nariaki did as per the butler asked and upon changing his focus to the crimson writings floating above the butler’s head, he had observed the following words.

Name: Seusmes
World: «Aequinwelt»
Currently at «Versteckwelt»

Shocked, Nariaki didn’t know how to react upon his observation. The best reaction he could come up with was to be shocked and reiterate the truth.

“It’s true… You are telling the truth…” Nariaki avoided looking at where Seusmes stood and to his surprise…

“Huh, these apparitions again…?”

No matter where Nariaki looked, several cinereal monks with crimson writings floating above their skulls walked about the quadrangle. Even though some collision should have occurred when the apparitions walked into one another, they simply went past one another instead.

Memories of the accident that happened earlier today came rushing back to haunt Nariaki. Surrounded by apparitions, he clutched his hands onto his forehead, covering his vision partially.

"I-Impossible... J-Just what on earth is going on?! Ahhhh!!" No longer able to tolerate the ghostly environment that his eyes perceived, Nariaki let out a scream that resounded throughout the vast quadrangle.

“Please calm yourself down, Sugisata-sama. These people aren’t apparitions. What you are seeing are visions of other livings beings that exist in parallel worlds,” explained Seusmes who had a white towel hanging on his left arm.

Shaking his head slightly but briskly, Nariaki didn’t want to believe in Seusmes’s words nor the scene happening before him. Thinking that this was all a delusion, he sprinted away from the old butler. Ignoring the visions with suspended writings over their head, he kept his head low until he met the person whom he was looking for earlier.

Name: Gensai Seishiro
World: «Atoz»
Currently at «Atoz»

Squatting down, the old monk began scattering feed into the pond. Looking from the side, Nariaki observed the aged abbot enjoying himself with a cheery expression. Similar to the earlier event where he observed “Kazuki” crossing the road with a lively expression, he felt connected with this genuine scene as he took small steps towards the pond.

“Reverend Gensai…” Extending his right hand out, Nariaki hoped to feel the warmth of the aged abbot’s back. Before he came into contact with “Reverend Gensai”, the latter stood up and walked away from the pond's rock enclosure while muttering a few words.

At that instance of standing up, Nariaki should have been able to grab “Reverend Gensai’s” hand, but like what Seusmes had explained, this “Reverend Gensai” was merely a vision.

Déjà vu, Nariaki witnessed that moment where his hand went past “Reverend Gensai’s”, and also the fact that he couldn’t hear what “Reverend Gensai” had muttered despite at arm-length proximity.

As a result, Nariaki went through “Reverend Gensai” as though he was an apparition himself. Before he ended up getting soaked from head to toe, he jerked his upper body backwards. Stopping just before the rock enclosure, he looked at his own reflection through the pond water that housed fishes with red spots.

Name: Sugisata Nariaki
World: «Versteckwelt»
Currently at «Versteckwelt»

“No way… What’s with this eyes of mine?!”

Dark-brown layered hair with a strand dangling off and fair round face, Nariaki had taken notice of his image everyday when he brushed his teeth in front of the sink mirror. However, he didn’t expect his pupils to be dilated pure black along with red concentric circles around his iris. Although there were visions of koi swimming in the pond, the weird pattern within his eyes was creepy enough to keep his attention on it.

“Those are the “Denscrant” eyes and how they looked like. They grant the user with the ability to see visions from parallel worlds. After witnessing its appearance and power first-hand, do you now believe in my words, Sugisata-sama?” explained Seusmes with a firm tone as he moved closer to Nariaki’s back.

Seusmes’s explanations became the answers that Nariaki had been seeking for. Those words that the butler uttered became the key that solved all the mysteries Nariaki had encountered since at school. The actions and reactions of the apparitions, all of it were just too real for Nariaki to classify them under that category.

Even though Nariaki had experienced all of it first-hand before meeting with this unknown butler, the reason why he was still feeling so anguish was his inability to prevent the demise of the “vision” of Narita Kazuki.

Failing to warn “Kazuki” of the danger, not being able to grasp him at that crucial moment of life and death, those thoughts continued to burden Nariaki until now. Even though he knew that the cinereal double of Kazuki doesn’t exist in his world, it was the very first time he felt so powerless, that the limit of his own ability could only permit the unfortunate sight of the vision’s lifeless body and nothing more.

After weeping for a few minutes and clearing his mind, Nariaki resumed the conversation by asking a question.

"Parallel worlds... Just what on earth are parallel worlds?"

"They are simply another world co-existing alongside with your world in this boundless universe."

-No way... So the existence of parallel worlds is true?

Ever since Nariaki entered junior high school, studying and reading up the supernatural and occult took up the bulk of his free time. When he became dissatisfied with just reading, he would borrow videos ranging from educational to entertainment to satisfy himself.

Just one year ago, he started watching documentaries and talks that involved topics in line with the supernatural and occult. Although the subject of parallel worlds doesn't really fall under the occult category, he did remembered watching one documentary about it.

-Being able to see those visions would be a solid proof that parallel worlds exist. If that's the case...

"Are you from a parallel world then, Seusmes-san?"

"Yes, indeed, Sugisata-sama."

-Then my suspicions are confirmed. In that case...

Not wanting to undergo such a tormenting experience anymore, Nariaki made a resolve upon the end of his reflection, using that sorrowful memory to serve as a basis for atonement.

“I got a request to make, Seusmes-san… I want the power to travel to parallel worlds.” requested Nariaki in a determined tone, as he knew that Seusmes possessed the relevant knowledge that he doesn’t.

“Noted. So now Sugisata-sama, if you could travel back with me to «Aequinwelt», I would be able to grant your request.”

“I am ready,” replied Nariaki in a resolved tone, clenching his right fist.

“Please give me a moment.”

Reaching for his back pocket, Seusmes took out a small silver tablet and opened its lid. After clicking a few times, a portal glimmering in white light appeared like an opening of a rift beside him.

“After you, Sugisata-sama,” said Seusmes as he bowed and directed his hand towards the portal.

-This portal...! It's the same one where those murderers came out from three years ago!

The dreadful memory Nariaki experienced from three years ago came rushing to his mind.

Two groups of people, one donned in black cloaks and the other not, intruded Narita Middle School all of a sudden as they stepped out of black and white portals respectively. In no time, the place of learning turned into a battlefield between the two groups, and Nariaki's classmates and teacher got caught in the crossfire.

"Sugisata-sama? Is there anything the matter?"

Perhaps after an awkwardly long moment of silence, Seusmes decided to speak out of concern for Nariaki.

"Ah." Nariaki snapped himself out as he turned to face Seusmes. "Nothing at all. I am stepping in now."

"Please do."

Now facing the white portal,

-So it's likely that those murderers came from a parallel world. For now, I should just play along and hopefully, I would be able to meet that "Iseki Kanae" who killed my friends.

Nariaki took a big gulp and marched in with a fearless mindset.

Part 4

Blinded by the endless white light within the portal, Nariaki raised his arms in a defensive stance while the light enveloped his entire body. Feeling the chill wrapping around his exposed skin, he knew that he was no longer at Narita Temple as he beheld the grandiose view.

«Aequinwelt»

“Where is this place?” muttered Nariaki as he saw four arch portals illuminating in white light that complemented the light blue walls. Turning to his left, another two similar ones gave off the same colourless light. To his right was an eerie pitch-black one that gave him the creeps however.

“This is «Aequinwelt».” Seusmes began walking towards the silver railings which served to enclose the large hollow gap. Built at chest-level, its purpose was probably to prevent people from accidentally falling over.

While Seusmes tinkered with the touch screen of a control box by the steel baluster, Nariaki continued to observe in awe of «Aequinwelt» circular structure. Surveying the floor he was on, he found many similar dark control boxes found by each arch portals including one beside him.

The entire floor was dazzled with white light illuminating from the seven arch portals and lightings built above his head. However, the odd ebony portal to his right had left him puzzled. Before he could take the opportunity to inspect that peculiar portal, he heard some hovering sound and Seusmes calling out to him.

“This way please, Sugisata-sama.” Nariaki spun around and saw Seusmes in his usual posture, standing straight up with his left arm close to his torso and holding a white cloth.

Disappointed, Nariaki traversed over and upon halting beside Seusmes, the tallest strand of his hair dangled at Seusmes’s shoulder.

Previously, the silver railings Nariaki caught sight of did enclose the entire inner hollow gap. With the solid baluster now retracted to its sides, it created a gap big enough for a person to walk through. Hovering in front of the gap was a plate-shaped hover board that also had similar metal railings encircling around its circumference.

While feeling anxious, Nariaki brought his right foot in to get a feel of the white circular hover board. The hover board lowered momentarily when he placed his foot on it and he got startled by the instability. As soon as he felt the feeling of a firm footing, he brought his other foot in and quickly held onto the handrails.

Seusmes followed and after manipulating the touch screen on the black control box in the middle of the round hover board, it began descending, as the white words displayed on the opaque screen were “1st Floor” with an inverted triangle.

Descending at a moderate pace, Nariaki surveyed the floors below and found out that they all had similar designs, along with alternating white and black portals from the direction he faced. Wondering how far have the hover board descended,
he tilted his head upwards and got rewarded with a surprise.

Nariaki could not see the ceiling of this cylindrical structure. Even narrowing his eyes didn’t get him anywhere close to something like a roof. Each floor built within this premise began disappearing from his sight as the hover board continued its descent. Bewildered, he wondered if the weather regulated the temperature of this roofless structure.

Decelerating, the hover board then touched down as it stabilized its landing. Seusmes got off first and Nariaki walked backwards around the control box.

Without realizing that the hover board was still hovering, Nariaki almost stumbled as he quickly caught onto the hover board’s safety railings.

“Are you all right, Sugisata-sama?” asked Seusmes as he extended his hand, offering Nariaki help to get off the hover board.

“I am fine… Was looking somewhere else…” replied Nariaki as he placied his foot on the light blue floor one at a time.

“Please follow me, Sugisata-sama,” said Seusmes after Nariaki got down safely.

Nodded, Nariaki followed closely behind Seusmes. Upon a quick glance, the layout of the ground floor was entirely different from the ones above. He found only three erected arch portals against the sky blue walls, and they were each marked with different names.

Circling around and keeping a safe distance from the center where many plate-shaped hover boards were gathered at, Nariaki took a quick glimpse of the first portal he passed by, marked “Aequinwelt Tower 2”.

However, Seusmes who led the way didn’t enter the portal. Instead, he stopped in front of the second portal that they arrived at and spun around as Nariaki banged into him.

“Beyond here lies the room of my master, Lord Gester,” addressed Seusmes.

“Lord Gester’s throne”

Nariaki recovered from the collision and stared at the royal design signage built above the arch portal. Tensed up, his hands started trembling upon hearing the tone that Seusmes addressed that earlier sentence. It was as though he was going to meet the Emperor of his home country. However, Lord Gester could most likely be someone even more powerful than the Emperor.

Within his mind, Nariaki swept aside all the unnecessary thoughts and speculations. Instead, he focused on that one objective he had at the back of his mind even before stepping here on «Aequinwelt».

-I am here to obtain the power to travel to “parallel worlds”, nothing more and nothing less.

“I am both physically and mentally prepared.” Nariaki switched the naïve look on his face to a resolved one.

“Then let’s enter.” Seusmes had shown a moment of awe, but he quickly erased off that look.

Part 5

Unaccustomed to entering portals, Nariaki protected his eyes with the back of his palms as he stepped through. Since his cover wasn’t perfect, it took him a while before he could regain his vision.

Although he could not see, he raised his eye brows when he heard his mother tongue being spoken loud and clear. He wondered if he had returned back to his hometown. As there was a saying "seeing is believing", he sought to uncover the truth as he recovered from temporary blindness.

“Stop splashing water on me, Haruyuki-kun!” said the red-haired girl wearing a black bikini in a defenceless but playful tone. With her delicate arms forming a cross in front of her, she struggled to guard against the heavy barrage of water.

“Oh come on Misaki-senpai, the water is so cool and refreshing!” said the ebon-haired guy wearing a trunks of the same colour, as he didn’t cease his volleys of pool water despite the alluring girl’s plead.

“Gester-sama, I have brought the newcomer as per your instructions,” Seusmes raised his voice to compete against the loud speakers placed by the sides of the 25 meters wide monitor.

“Don't bother me now, Seusmes! This show's just getting to the good parts!” An old childish voice yelled out in response.

Being captivated by the show screening on the monitor, it triggered one of Nariaki’s memories as he recognised the two characters playing by the poolside.

-Isn’t this “Unfated Love” that my classmates were chatting about? How come I am seeing it here…?

The fact that the show originated from his country was currently being streamed live here perplexed Nariaki. But more importantly, his mind started picturing the image of “Lord Gester” who was the supposed owner of this throne.

Along with the immature reply that he heard, “Lord Gester” could very well be a perverted old man who had fetish for innocent young girls. Thinking along those lines, Nariaki’s first impression of “Lord Gester” plummeted to rock bottom, and the determination that he had accumulated until this moment followed suit.

“Kyahh!! My top came off!!” The curvy rose-haired girl let out a deafening cry as her black bikini top fell off after its string got loosened, and her small fine hands could barely protect her chest from being exposed.

“Ooooooooooo!!” The owner of the immature voice hiding behind the crimson sofa had reached his peak, as a fountain of blood came gushing out, staining the nearby furnishings.

Without Nariaki noticing, Seusmes had travelled over to the tall red couch, and began muttering into his master. The mutters then triggered an overreacting reaction.

“Crap, “She” is here?! Where did I put that remote controller?!” screamed the owner of the childish voice, as Nariaki witnessed several stuffs being thrown in all directions from the couch.

After a few seconds of desperate rummaging, the screen of the insanely wide monitor then flashed a world map of the Earth, if Nariaki had discerned it correctly.

“Darn you, Seusmes! I don’t sense her presence anywhere within this room!” shouted the aged person while drumming his fists onto the sides of the sofa.

“I have fetched the newcomer as per your orders, Gester-sama.”

“Oh that matter, where's he?”

“Please rotate your seat around. And Sugisata-sama, please come over here,” gestured Seusmes.

The walls of this white room (throne) had a rather unique design of overlapping square patterns. Two glass tables sat by the sides of the red couch. Tainted with the perverted blood of "Lord Gester", the two tables each held bowls of fruit, finished takeaways and several gadgets.

Estimating the height of the sofa, Nariaki reckoned that “Lord Gester” could be taller than him. As the upholstered furniture completed its revolution at the same time where he stopped a few meters in front of it, the appearance of the old lord left him astonished.

“You are Lord Gester…?”

The aged lord’s hairstyle was similar to a kappa where the center was fully exposed with his spiky white hair encircling around it. Along with several glaring accessories found on his white inner clothes, Nariaki also caught sight of a circular symbol engraved on the back of the colourless cape when the dwarf figure hopped off the comfy couch.

“And you are Sugisata Nariaki? Glad to see you in one piece,” Lord Gester's eyes changed to that of “Denscrant” as he shook hands with Nariaki. "«Versteckwelt» eh? If my memory serves me right, that's the world Gensai Seishiro is in charge of."

"Gensai Seishiro? You mean Reverend Gensai? He's here in this world too?"

"Yes. Although he's out on a mission now as we speak."

-Even Reverend Gensai is here... Is he being threatened and forced to do their bidding?

“I suppose Seusmes here had already explained some details and the reason for bringing you here?” asked Lord Gester as he began walking around Nariaki, inspecting him.

“Not really, but I did get a basic understanding of the situation. And the reason I chose to follow along was to obtain the power to travel to parallel worlds,” Snapping out of his thought process, Nariaki had finally uttered his main objective word for word in a firm tone.

“Hoho, it's been a while since I met a newcomer so full of drive," replied Lord Gester as he kept flickering the short pointy beard of his. "Hmm... I can’t leave my post to get “that” with you, and it will be a hassle to explain everything from the start to you either… Guess I should get somebody else to guide you.”

-These people aren't demanding much of me as of now. Is that someone he's calling going to order me around then?

Heading back towards his couch, Lord Gester swiped a golden tablet off the bloodstained glass table. With a few taps, the short aged figure began talking to the rectangular device.

“Are you currently at «Aequinwelt»?”

[Yeah. You need me for something, old geezer?] The voice that Nariaki heard from the mobile gadget sounded feminine yet disrespectful.

“I have a newcomer here who had just arrived in my room. Could you be his tour guide in my place?”

[Ah... Fine. Don’t have anything else to do anyway.]

Nariaki knew that the call had ended after he heard a sound similar to switching off a television.

After the exchange ended, Seusmes raised his eyebrows as he posed a question to his master.

“Are you sure about asking “her”, Gester-sama?”

“It can't be helped. Gensai Seishiro who is in charge of «Versteckwelt» is out on a mission, and she's the only veteran hanging around at this time.”

-A lady, eh? They are always very demanding and unreasonable...

Recalling the voice of that other party, it sounded ladylike yet impolite. Fearing that it could be the end for him if he got on that lady’s nerves, Nariaki fixed his untidy appearance, and kept turning his head, checking each portal by the corners of the throne.

Silence have fallen onto this vast throne, and Nariaki could hear the humming sound of the air-conditioner clearly. The trio faced one another with Nariaki looking most nervous as cold sweat broke out on his fair face.

When they heard the voice previously broadcasted through Lord Gester’s tablet, the trio all faced that one direction where a female teenager made her entrance with her high-pitch voice.

“I am here, old geezer. So where is that newcomer – Ehhh?! Na-Nariaki-kun?!” yelled the female teenager dressed in her black school top and frilly red thigh-length skirt, with white lines outlining the edges of both clothes.

Nariaki became puzzled. It was his first time here at «Aequinwelt», and yet he heard his given name being called so loud and clearly. How could there be a person who knew his name? Neither should there be anyone who recognized him nor was he familiar with anyone else other than the two elderly.

There was the possibility of utilizing the “Denscrant” eyes, where information pertaining to a person could be known easily. But for normal human beings, since the face of a person had been imprinted in their mind upon their first meeting, it would be almost instantaneous to call out to a familiar person during subsequent meetings.

However, Nariaki being addressed by his given name could only meant one thing. The other party was someone acquainted and very close to him.

Without wasting any more time hypothesizing, Nariaki turned to look at the lady who blurted out his given name and got stunned. The female teenager who stood by the portal had a striking purple hair tied up in a ponytail, and a fringe that stretched down to her left eye.

-...Iseki Kanae!

-End-
akaxiii
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by akaxiii »

It's been a month, and I apologize to all those who have been waiting since then. Thank you for your feedback, and here's Chapter 3!

Chapter 3
Spoiler! :
第三章 :対立理想
Chapter 3: Conflicting Ideals

Part 1

“Kanae-channnn!!”

Blurting out those mushy words as though the other party was his own daughter, the elderly dwarf leaped towards Iseki Kanae.

Although his tone was filled with fatherly love, his heart-shaped pupils were however eyeing on the twin mountains protruding from Iseki's chest.

Hearing that bold declaration, Nariaki changed his focus to the petite lord who was seconds away from committing a crime that would put him in jail, if there were any in this world.

However, what worried Nariaki more was if Iseki could defend herself.

As if signalling his victory, Lord Gester's grin grew bigger, revealing a sparkling golden tooth.

Bishh!! Nariaki didn’t catch the exact movements, but Iseki had shoved her left fist right into the perverted dwarf’s face, causing it to wrap on impact.

As the aged lord landed in front of Iseki, the piece of treasure stuck within his gums fell out.

“Hmph, think you could get me just because I lowered my guard down a little?” Iseki sniffed.

“That’s cruel of you... Ahh! My tooth came out!!” Finally realizing that, the immoral lord began rolling around Iseki while screaming in agony.

“The next time you do something like that, it won’t be just your treasured tooth that comes off.”

“My mouth is bleeding!! Help me Seusmes! Get me a dentist!!”

As Lord Gester’s shrieks started getting louder, he also started rolling around faster, not worrying about getting his majestic clothes dirty. After sighing out loud as a response to his master’s idiotic actions, Seusmes squatted down at where his master’s tooth had fallen and stopped the rolling dwarf with his free right hand.

“Leaving aside this perverted lord, I really can’t believe you are the newcomer, Nariaki-kun…” said Iseki in a tone mixed with surprise and a grain of dejection.

“You possessed the Denscrant eyes too?”

"Yes, although I do not come from your world." Upon shifting to her Denscrant eyes, Iseki gazed at the cardinal writings floating above Nariaki’s head.

“Eh? So you aren’t the Iseki Kanae that I know of?”

“Switch to your Denscrant eyes and you will understand."

As Nariaki started to wonder when his eyes had turned back to normal, he then glanced at Iseki and found no cardinal writings hovering above her hair.

To think that the Iseki Kanae standing before him wasn’t the one he knew of, Nariaki wouldn’t have bought that reply. However, he was partly convinced of it, after drawing some connections from the short conversation with the strange voice in his head and the explanation Seusmes gave.

-I can’t believe that my wish was granted. That fiery personality of hers definitely is contrasting to the composed Iseki Kanae that I know of.

-While I know for sure that those visions residing in “parallel world” possess the same appearance as the people from my world, I just don’t see the connection to “seeing the other side of Iseki Kanae”. If their appearance are exactly the same, then shouldn’t their personality match as well?

-Ahh, this is getting nowhere. I shall deal with the task on hand first.

While Nariaki hadn’t gotten that far as to making a connection between “parallel world” and “seeing the other side of Iseki Kanae”, he decided to follow Iseki's instructions and activated the eyes that allowed him to perceive visions from parallel worlds, with another handy ability on top of that.

“Denscrant.”

Name: Iseki Kanae
World: «Aió̱nios»
Currently at «Aequinwelt»

-«Aió̱nios»... And mine was «Versteckwelt».

“Whattt? You guys already know each other? What a coincidence indeed!” With the help of Seusmes, Lord Gester propped himself up, revealing a broken window as he spoke.

“So old geezer, you said you wanted me to be his tour guide? G-Guess it can’t be helped if I have too much free time on my hand.” Hiding her blushing face, Iseki looked away from everyone else.

“Well, I am just playing the cupid here for pairing you up with Nariaki-kun. After all, not many guys can accept such a violent person like you,” chuckled Lord Gester.

“Playing the cupid…” Nariaki muttered to himself.

“W-W-Whattt?! T-This ain’t a date, so don’t get funny ideas, you demented dwarf! A-And you too, Nariaki-kun! S-Say something to clear up this situation!!”

Along with three strokes of pink lines appearing on Iseki’s cheeks, black twirls had dilated her small pupils.

“Ha, not being very honest to your own feelings aren’t you, Kanae-chan? Well, I shall tag along to oversee your first date, just in case things get out of hand if you can’t contain your urge to use violence. I certainly don’t want our newcomer here to be frightened!”

“First date…” Nariaki continued his self-muttering, unable to comprehend the implied meaning behind Lord Gester’s speech.

“Y-You continue that nonsensical blabbering, and I will make sure porridge is the only thing you can eat for the rest of your life!!” shouted Iseki as stress marks appeared on her forehand and right fist.

“Are you sure about that, Gester-sama? Don’t you need to visit a dentist first…?” Being a butler, Seusmes put his master’s well-being ahead of everything else.

“I don’t care about that! One thing is clear, and that is me following them! Ahh! Blood is coming out again!!” While drumming his limbs against the floor, the childish lord began shrieking in agony again.

“Then you leave me with no choice, Gester-sama. If you are so insistent on following the both of them, then I will –”

The pair of high school students couldn’t hear from a distance, as Seusmes' voice lowered into a mutter. With every second passing, the face of the cupid dwarf started turned paler, and he gave an unexpectedly obedient reply.

“No! Don’t tell her about where I hide those "DVDs", Seusmes! I will follow your suggestion, so don’t let her know where the hiding place is! "They" are my lifelines, and I swear she won’t spare any of it!!” Lord Gester kept shaking his head in denial.

“What the heck are you blabbering about, old geezer?” Seeing that only Lord Gester and Seusmes knew the content of the mutters, it piqued Iseki’s curiosity.

“Nothing at all, Kanae-chan! Seusmes only told me to hurry along to the dentist before my gums get infected! So run along now, you kids!”

“I have never believed in your words since our first meeting, so spit it out before you can’t talk anymore!”

Iseki approached Lord Gester with small steps, and every step she took resounded louder than the previous one.

Even though Nariaki had seen through Lord Gester’s artificial tone, he had also grasped the determination behind the lie to hide a secret that must never come to light.

“I really have nothing to hide! Here, I will give you some “Monni”, so you two go ahead and enjoy yourselves!” Taking out his sparkling tablet, Lord Gester manipulated it and Nariaki heard a short bell sound from somewhere else in this spacious throne.

“Hm, a notification?" Taking out her silver tablet, Iseki began glancing through the digitalized content. "Hoho, since it’s rare for you to be so generous, I shall take this opportunity to indulge myself in some desserts! Come on, Nariaki-kun. Let’s leave this good-for-nothing lord behind!”

“Err, okay... See you then, Seusmes, Lord Gester.” Turning his head back and forth between the elated Iseki and the grieved Lord Gester who was shedding tears of heartache, Nariaki walked by the former's side as she used her mobile device.

After browsing for a while, Iseki started beaming with joy as she closed her tablet like a book. With Nariaki having no clue as to what made her so pleased, the pair exited the white throne through an arch portal marked “Aequinwelt Tower 2”.

Part 2

Nariaki massaged his eyelids as he exited the throne through another portal filled with white light. Little white spots played across his vision as his pupils slowly adjusted to the dimness of the tower's interior.

“Are your eyes adapting well?” Nariaki picked up a caring voice while dealing with his annoying eyes.

“Not really…”

“Well, you will get used to it soon enough. It would be impossible to go blind if you protect your eyes well before entering. But then again, it’s probably that perverted lord’s idea to make everything connected by portals…” Upon mentioning the lord of «Aequinwelt», Iseki started clenching her left fist.

“Ehh… Didn’t Lord Gester mentioned something about getting “that” for me? What is the “that” he and you were talking about?” To stop his tour guide from plunging further into the depths of anger, Nariaki changed the topic that he was more concerned about.

“Oh yeah, “that”. Come this way then, Nariaki-kun.”

Instead of heading towards the platform filled with plate-shaped hover boards, Iseki led Nariaki around the circular platform, like a kindergarten teacher guiding her clueless students around on their first day.

While keeping track of the purple ponytail within his peripheral vision, Nariaki focused on other people boarding and getting off the round hover boards.
When the sight of white particles entered his vision, Nariaki looked forward and saw his tour guide disappeared into the portal marked “Aequinwelt Control Centre”. He then followed in, shielding his eyes.

Aequinwelt Control Centre

“This is…?” asked Nariaki after coming out of the portal.

“This is where you will get your own personal tablet. Go up to the receptionist there and register yourself.” Iseki pointed towards the lacquered wooden reception table.

Along with several potted plants and wooden benches, the interior design of this place left Nariaki in awe as he strolled along the carpeted flooring. Taking glances at the portraits hanging on the walls covered with crimson fabrics, he chuckled to himself as the rows of portrait by the sides revealed Lord Gester posing in different amusing poses.

With Iseki by his side, Nariaki felt his arm being pinched and he leaped back a little. Seeing the annoyed look on her face, he hurried towards the receptionist.

“Good evening. How may I help you, Sir?” asked the dark-haired lady who wore round-frame spectacles to reinforce her receptionist look.

“Err… I would like to register myself and get my personal tablet?” Nariaki had trouble coming up with his reply.

“A newcomer, I see. Pardon me, Denscrant.” Along with the dark pupil, red concentric circles dilated the receptionist’s eyes as she gazed above Nariaki’s head.

Standing at almost an arm-length away, Nariaki could hear the cluttering sound of the receptionist typing away on the keyboard. Several seconds after hearing the last key being entered, the receptionist got up from her office chair and entered into an inner room connected by a wooden door.

Tapping her index finger on the reception table while leaning against it, Iseki obviously couldn’t wait a second longer.

Although it was an opportunity to strike up a conversation, Nariaki couldn’t think of any good topic as he kept scratching his head for annoying dandruffs.

The reason why Nariaki couldn’t say anything was because the girl standing beside him wasn’t the same person that he knew of. Instead, she had come from the parallel world, «Aió̱nios». Moreover, her fiery personality had made it difficult for Nariaki to approach her.

Nariaki needed a good starting point. The first thing that came to his mind was the incident from three years ago however.

-If she's in cahoots with Seusmes and Lord Gester, there's a good chance that she's the Iseki Kanae who killed my friends from three years ago.

-Even though back then she had asked of me to forget about that "incident", I would rather die than to do their bidding which may involve killing other people.

"Say, do you happen to know anything about the incident from three years ago?"

"?!" After hearing till the end, Iseki raised her eyebrows as she turned to face Nariaki. "You... remembered what happened three years ago...?"

-I guessed as much. It's time to go on the offense.

"Obviously. How could I ever forget that traumatizing scene where you killed all of my friends and left me unconscious?"

"...So you are the one from back then, huh?" Iseki paused for a while before continuing. "Then, I guess the wish you have made to that "person" was - "

"Yeah, I have came to seek you out, murderer. Back then, why was I the only one spared? Why didn't you kill me too?! Tell me the truth!"

"..."

"So?"

"I... No, everyone here is not allowed to speak of that incident."

"Why?! Are you being ordered not to or what?!"

"...It's the opposite. We didn't expect for that incident to happen. Even for us, it was very tragic and heartbreaking."

"What do you mean you didn't expect for it to happen? What do you mean it was tragic and heartbreaking for you? You had murdered all of my classmates and teacher!"

"I don't wish to discuss about that incident anymore!" Iseki grabbed Nariaki's shirt collar and glared at him. "But what I can tell you is this. Back then, the situation wasn't as straightforward as you think it was, and I didn't kill you because that's not my aim of being there."

"..."

"Also, don't ever raise this issue to anyone here. None of us wished to be reminded of it." Iseki loosened her grip off the collar and pushed Nariaki.
As if she timed it, the receptionist who attended to Nariaki earlier returned. Along with a warm smile on her face, she handed over a silver-plated tablet and a bunkobon book with an illustrated cover.

“Here are your personal tablet and Aequinwelt’s rulebook. As you are now a fellow Denscrant user, please read through and understand the contents of the rulebook that contained rules governing us Denscrant users. Have a good day and I wish you the best of luck!” The receptionist greeted Nariaki off with a warm smile.

“Hand over your tablet, Nariaki-kun.”

“Huh, what are you going to do with it?”

“Just hand it over already, you idiot!”

Within a blink of an eye, Iseki snatched Nariaki’s brand new tablet and began manipulating it. As though she was already used to the sterling tablet, there wasn’t any excess movements as her fingers pressed against the screen at exact spots her eyes stared at.

Not long after, Iseki tossed the stolen tablet back to Nariaki who caught it with the screen facing his face.

“I-I have entered my tablet number in your contacts tab, s-so feel free to give me a call if you need me. A-And don’t get the wrong idea! I-I am just fulfilling my role as a veteran to help out newcomers like you! I-I certainly don’t have any other hidden intentions!” Even though the heat given off by the artificial lighting within the control centre couldn’t hold a candle to the sun, Iseki’s fair cheeks turned into peach-pink.

“Oh…” Nariaki looked at his tablet screen which displayed a single name as he scratched his cheeks with his index finger.

With that reply leading to a dead end, Nariaki had no idea how to please Iseki now that she looked extremely annoyed. Thankfully, the sound of a telephone ringtone rang out and Iseki dipped into her red skirt pocket to grab her personal tablet.

“Yeah, what is it?” Flipping open the tablet like a book, Iseki picked up the incoming call.

[I am currently at the headquarters but I don't see ya yo. Ya coming to «Aequinwelt» today?] Nariaki widened his eyes upon hearing the lively voice.

“Yeah, I am at the Control Centre helping a newcomer out. Will be on my way up now,”

[All right then.] With a single tap, Iseki ended the call as she slotted her rectangular tablet back into her skirt pocket.

“I got to meet up with my team member first. You mind following me for a bit before I show you around?”

“Sure, I guess.”

Turning around, the pair headed out of the control centre and back into the wide lobby area of Aequinwelt Tower Two. Strolling towards one of the unused plate-shaped hover board, they hopped onto it as Iseki began selecting the destination on the dark control box built in the centre.

Whilst, Nariaki dived into his world of thoughts.

-That energetic voice I heard just now… It couldn’t be him, could it…?

While gripping tightly onto the safety railings, Nariaki gazed blankly at the colourful signboards of several arch portals as the hover board ascended to its destination.

Since he was in his world of thoughts, he had lost track of the real world’s time flow. Perceiving the travelling time to have flew with a blink of an eye, he felt annoyed when his tour guide called him back to reality as the hover board stopped its ascent.

“We are here.” Iseki hopped off the unsteady hover board and Nariaki followed suit.

“This is “Team N.E.T Headquarters”?” Already grasping the design and layout of this floor to be similar to Aequinwelt Tower One, Nariaki angled his head upwards to see the signboard built above the arch portal before him.

“Yep, come on in.”

Even though his tour guide had already entered, Nariaki’s didn’t move a single inch. The reason why he didn’t mind his tour guide’s suggestion was because he wanted to confirm his suspicions of the voice he heard back at Aequinwelt Control Centre.

Upon remembering his tour guide's fiery personality, he quickly marched in before he would face a fate far worse than death.

Part 3

Team N.E.T Headquarters

When dry air greeted him, Nariaki felt the oil glands on his face secreting a thick layer of oil. Shielding his eyes from the artificial lighting, he had entered the territory of mother’s nature, a surprising environment that he could have never possibly thought of, since he had only come across man-made structures in his accumulated memories of «Aequinwelt».

Getting the vibes of entering a nature reserve, Nariaki identified several maple and sakura trees among the dozens planted around the edges of the headquarters. With the vibrant colours and several mammals hopping around the trimmed grass, he was left in awe as he observed the surreal surroundings one could only find in a fantasy world.

“Yo, Kanae-san! I am down here!”

Amidst this vivacious forest, Nariaki heard the energetic voice of a young guy. Together with Iseki, he shuffled down the steps covered in lush grass while putting aside his observations of the headquarters’ layout.

Nariaki’s heart started beating faster with each step taken. He kept his head down while estimating the gap between each step. But that wasn’t the only reason for him to face the uneven ground.

His suspicions of the owner of the energetic voice would be confirmed if he lifted his head up. Reaching at the end of the stairs, he took a small breath while whispering the word that would activate the Denscrant eyes.

“Denscrant.”

Name: Narita Kazuki
World: «Tsunagu»
Currently at «Aequinwelt»

“I knew it… Nobody else except you possessed that lively voice, Kazuki!” Nariaki dashed over while being overwhelmed with joy, as though he had finally reunited with his long-lost sibling.

“Woah! Is that really ya, Nariaki?!” Dressed in a casual outfit with a bike logo on his dark shirt, Kazuki got astonished.

“You guys were already familiar with one another?” interjected Iseki.

“Not just familiar! Nariaki is like my best bud in my world yo!” Kazuki raised his energetic voice while putting his arm around Nariaki's shoulder.

“Yeah, same goes for me!” All of Nariaki's nervousness had taken flight off upon uncovering the owner of the energetic voice.

“So all of us here knew one another respectively in our own world? Some kind of a fate this is…” Scratching her well-maintained long hair, Iseki couldn’t seem to accept this fact. “Ah, we are sidetracking for a bit. Kazuki-kun, what kind of matters you want to discuss such that we have to meet here?”

“It’s regarding about that mission. I have been scouting that “Doppelganger” out for the past few days as ya instructed, but there weren’t many encounters. And even if I managed to travel to the parallel world it was at, it was quick to flee the scene yo...” Kazuki gave a lengthy but detailed explanation.

-Travel to the parallel world?

“So you want to discuss about a strategy to engage that “Doppelganger”? Well, sure,” Forgetting that she owed Nariaki a tour around «Aequinwelt», Iseki agreed.

“I don’t get what both of you are talking about, but Kazuki, you mentioned something about travelling to parallel world right?” asked Nariaki.

“Yo, what about it?”

“Tell me how you do that… I came here to «Aequinwelt» for the sake of obtaining that power…” Nariaki spoke with a serious tone while pushing his Kazuki's arm aside.

“Sure, why not? But ya seemed to be upset about something yo...”

“Obviously I am! If I had obtained that power earlier… If only I had attained the ability to travel to parallel worlds… I would have been able to save a vision of you from that traffic accident! But no! All I could do was to stare helplessly at your vision’s dead body through this pair of Denscrant eyes… Just what good will these eyes do!”

Even though Nariaki knew that both Iseki and Kazuki who were standing right before him weren’t the same people he knew, he still decided to share the burden that he had been shouldering, hoping that they could understand the pain he had been through.

“So ya had personally witnessed the death of my parallel? Sorry to hear about that, and for ya to undergo such unfortunate experience yo…” Kazuki lowered his voice to display his sorrow.

“So that's your purpose for asking that question? Hah, don’t make me laugh. Are you trying to imply that you want to save the life of others residing in parallel worlds? That ideal of yours is so childlike.” Nariaki received an earful from Iseki.

“It isn’t any person! It's Kazuki that I am talking about! He is the best friend I have ever made! Sure you have guessed my intentions spot-on, but what’s wrong with doing that? If you had the power to travel to parallel worlds, instead of acting like a bystander who only watches, shouldn’t you should use that power to save those visions from death? Isn’t that the right thing to do?!”

“Right thing or not, it doesn’t matter one bit. In the first place, do you even comprehend the reason why all of us Denscrant users are gathered here at «Aequinwelt»?” asked Iseki.

“That isn’t an answer… and no, I don’t have a clue.”

“It’s because if anyone of us were to die, all of our parallels living in parallel worlds would cease to exist too! Now that the Denscrant eyes have been awakened within you, your very life is linked to every living parallels of you! You are now shouldering all of your parallels’ life on your back! Do you understand how dangerous your current position is? How much sadness you would bring to everybody if you were to lose your life?!”

-!! So that was what the strange voice meant when it mentioned that it may cost me “my life”!

“Even so –!”

“Break it up already yo! Why are both of ya arguing even though ya both just met for the first time! Kanae-san, let us give Nariaki here a warm welcome for his first day here at «Aequinwelt». We will then explain to him about how things work here and etc in the next few days,” Kazuki stepped in to address Iseki first.

“And Nariaki, even though I agree with your ideals, Kanae-san has got a point there. With the burden that comes with awakening the Denscrant eyes, ya must now care more for your life. If ya were to die, your parallels who exist in both mine and Kanae-san’s world would disappear from the face of our universe too...”

“I apologize for letting my personal feelings to get the better of me… I –” The growls coming from his stomach had interrupted his speech. Covering his abdomen, Nariaki tried to hide the fact that he haven’t ate anything ever since he arrived here at «Aequinwelt».

“Hoho, is that sound coming from your stomach, Nariaki-kun? Well, I apologize for my rudeness. Wanna join us for supper too, Kazuki-kun? I got some extra “Monni” from that old pervert.”

“Woah, since when did Lord Gester became so generous? Maybe I should ask him to spare some too. Come on Nariaki, we are going to indulge in some luxurious food tonight yo!”

Receiving a slap to his back, Nariaki turned to look at his best friend’s cheery face. While reminiscing in his memories of the Kazuki from his world, he realized that they both shared the same lively look, that same pleasant expression that he had observed in his normal everyday life before awakening the Denscrant eyes.

Even though the Kazuki standing before him wasn’t the same person he was acquainted with, Nariaki curled his lips up at the edges as he knew that without a doubt, they shared the same personality.

Part 4

“Thanks for the meal.” Placing his chopsticks and spoon in a manner to signal that he was done eating, Nariaki wiped the lower part of his face with a hand towel.

“I bet the salmon teriyaki ya just ate was delicious, right? Wanna come here every day to have your three meals yo?” asked Kazuki while drinking some carbonated drink from a can.

“Yeah, it was delicious. But I would have preferred to pay for my own meal. I felt bad for Iseki-san to treat me to such expensive food.”

“It can’t be helped yo. Ya should save the “Monni” for other stuffs that are more important like Kanae-san advised.”

“What kind of other stuffs are you referring to? And there is a way to earn “Monni”, right?”

“There is, but I am not telling ya any of this complicated stuff for today. Just relax and chill out yo, it’s your first day here and ya already seemed so enthusiastic about the details of this world already!”

“Mmm, the feeling when the cheese melts in your mouth!” Cutting a slice on the cheesecake that she bought, Iskei began savouring every bit of it.

“If you don’t exercise after all that calories, putting on weight would surely be inevitable yo~”

“Don’t mention such a sensitive issue to a lady! Isn’t it fine to indulge in such desserts once in a while?”

“I would have wished for ya to channel those “Monni” into upgrading our headquarters’ facilities though…”

“Did you just say something?” Although Iseki couldn’t hear Kazuki’s soft monologuing, she could tell that he was talking bad about her as she scowled.

“Nothing at all! Oh yeah, I haven’t got your tablet number, Nariaki. Wanna exchange?” Swiftly changing topics, Kazuki turned to look at Nariaki.

“I don’t have a single idea on how to operate this tablet though...” replied Nariaki as he took out his brand new tablet free of any blemishes.

“Hahaha, not good with technologies, aren’t ya? It works like this –”

Changing his seat to sit beside Nariaki, Kazuki opened his tablet that had already undergo quite a bit of wear and tear, probably because he doesn’t take good care of it. While the duo started engaging in their conversation topic about the tablet features and functions, Iseki continued to gratify herself by dividing the half-eaten cheesecake into bite pieces.

After Nariaki understood some basic functions through the tedious lecture, Kazuki then took notice of the current time displayed on the upper right hand corner of the tablet’s screen.

“Uwahh, it’s this late already? And I got a math test to study for tomorrow yo…” said Kazuki in a disbelieving tone while messing with his mullet hair.

“Let’s call it a day then. Kazuki-kun, you mind escorting Nariaki-kun back into his own world? Knowing him, he would try and stay here to learn more about this world.” Positioning her used fork’s handle at 4 o’clock, Iseki took out a colourless handkerchief to wipe her mouth.

“Well, it’s a given that I want to familiarise myself with this world as soon as I can…”

“There there, let’s put all of that for tomorrow and make our way home now, shall we?” Placing his hand on Nariaki’s shoulder, Kazuki tried to convince his best friend.

“Mmm…” Standing up from his round seat, Nariaki tucked his personal tablet into his back pocket.

“All right then, see you here tomorrow at the same time, Kanae-san.” Kazuki followed suit.

“Excuse us for leaving so early, and thanks for the treat,” added Nariaki.

“Mmm, see you guys.”

After confirming that the duo had left the cafeteria, Iseki mumbled to herself sorrowfully.

“Saving the life of counterparts huh… While your phrasing isn’t off the mark, instead of a mere traffic accident, there is a greater “threat” that we are saving them and ourselves from however…”

Part 5

«Versteckwelt»

Walking out of an abandoned three-story building, Nariaki found himself back in the rows of shop houses where he had passed by earlier to get to Narita Temple.

While some of the shop owners started gathering their merchandises laid outside of their stores, Nariaki turned to look back at the deserted building that was as dark as the starless night sky.

“What on earth is that floating white cube inside that building?”

Recalling the earlier events, he and Kazuki had traversed back to Aequinwelt Tower One, and made their way up to the arch portal leading to his world, «Versteckwelt». Upon arriving back, he found himself inside the top floor of that vacant building he exited from.

Although his escorting companion had followed him to his world, Nariaki failed to squeeze any information regarding the floating white cube out of the counterpart of his best friend, since he was fixated on not sharing any for today and departed off through a white portal he opened up.

Disappointed, Nariaki sighed as he began walking towards the location of his residence. Not long after embarking on his return journey, he felt a vibration coming from his backside. Thinking that it was a call from either one of the two friends he had made in «Aequinwelt», he reached for the tablet in the back pocket of his beige shorts.

“A new notification…?”

Getting his hopes up, Nariaki became disheartened after realizing that it was just a simple notification. Wanting to see what kind of a notification he had received, he tapped the spot marked “show” below the sentence, “You have 1 new notification”.

The tablet vibrated and the window displaying on the screen changed into another one.

"What the heck is this...?"

The digital words on the new window caused Nariaki to twitch his face.

He thought his eyes were playing tricks on him, or the notification that he had received was someone playing a prank on him. But no matter how many times
he glanced through the message’s first letter till its last, he didn’t want to believe in it. Even though he doubted the authenticity of the notice, he muttered
its written contents to try and comprehend the meaning behind.

“Your parallel in «Yorubi» has passed away. Cause of Death: “Stabbed by a dagger”. Type of Death: “Unnatural Death”...?”

-End-

Return to “Creative works”