OLN: Yuugare Contract

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Arcsol93
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: OLN: Yuugare Contract

Post by Arcsol93 »

I'm alive, though it took a while to get things straightened out (Between getting constantly locked on here and troubles with my email...that and me erasing chapter 6 about four times...XD)

I'll have chapter 6, the epilogue, the prologue for two and maybe part of chapter 1-2 up by tonight hopefully if I can get the issues with my word processor resolved. Also I'm looking for a editor since it seems Bitter was hit hard with college, and I don't exactly trust that my chapters aren't a mess lol. The help would be appreciated, thanks.
"It's true that the real world is a shitty game. It's both unreasonable...and illogical...But a happy end will never come to those who want to finish a difficult game with ease." -The World God Only Knows
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Still encountering problems with my email, so I'll just try copying from my iPod notepad...hopefully it doesn't cut anything off. Also, this will be filled with grammar errors, maybe even punctuation. I will fix them when I fix them, I barely have enough time to write between work and studying, much less correct any errors. Either way, I hope it's enjoyable nonetheless, thank you.
Spoiler! :
Yuugare Contract chapter 6

"Ding-dong ding-dong, the death bell tolls."

A woman sang softly, the small room she sat in was full of items of the occult. Every thing from crystals to talismans and summoning circles, and in the center of it sat the throne she was currently occupying, it was composed numerous types of bones and jewels.

In front of her sat a large oak chess board, many of the pieces were carved into the shape of beasts. Though six pieces stuck out from the others, each of them had a different design carved into them altogether.

"Souls will wail and souls will scream as sin covers all. Will the world fall? Will it drown in absolute madness with no heroes abound?"

She wore nothing but a black cloak that seemed to be woven from the shadows themselves, making it seem as if she was the darkness. The only thing that stuck out in particular was the bleach white skull mask she wore over her face, bright blue lights flickered within the eye sockets.

"I loathe that song with all my heart, whoever wrote it had to love torturing people who hate riddles." She said with a sigh, tucking her head into her palm.

She tapped her cheek while pulling out a chess piece from a hidden pocket, the piece itself in the shape of an ornate mirror.

"With Kaiden the pieces are all in place, he will be my trump in all of this...I just wish it could have been different. But I went through every future, every branch, this is the last one with hope of change...but this will also be the most twisted."

The guilt and grief she felt overwhelmed her as her body began to tremble, she covered her face and bit her lip to the point where it bled as tears began to flow down her face once more.

She never wanted to kill him, nor throw both him and his sister into this cruel fate. But her hands were tied, a heavy burden bore deep into her soul, constantly reminding her that she couldn't afford to be selfish. If they condemned her then she resolved to bare it no matter how much it hurt.

She is death, she is sadness and suffering. The embodiment of everything that will someday come to an end. Her role now is to stop reality from becoming warped, changing everyday life and making the impossible real.

Death took a deep breath, composing herself as best as she could. She then brought her attention to the mirror, staring at it for a moment.

"...I can't hesitate now, this needs to be done. Once I place this piece down it all falls onto him, but I won't just do nothing either...but...if they fail..."

She paused, something took hold of her body as memories flashed past her relentlessly. Memories of countless separate timelines, separate worlds and the future that awaited them.

Death began to convulse violently as if possessed. She let out a blood curdling scream as the madness swept through her, collapsing down to the floor as she gradually lost control. Then, as if time had stopped, everything fell silent in the dim lit room.

"...death."

She whispered, finally breaking the silence. She began to laugh quietly, gradually becoming louder as a dark aura began to flow out of her.

Gusts and gales bombarded the room suddenly as she slowly rose to her feet, continuing to laugh like a madman. The ground began to shake violently as well, knocking all sorts of objects down.

"Death! Hahaha...HAHAHAHAHA. DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH!!! DEATH TO ALL! DEATH TO THIS DAMNED WORLD, IT SHALL BECOME AN ABOMINATION WHERE ONLY THE TWISTED SHALL RULE!!!"

Her hand rose, shadows flowed and poured out from it. It began to bend and twist, forming a scythe.

It had a white shaft with pictures depicting many aspects of death carved into it. The bottom of it had a large skull with it's mouth forced open, this served as one of the handles. And the blade itself was formed of a foreign metal that was a blood red color, the edge serrated and jagged.

She swung the blade down at the throne, cutting it in half in a single swipe. Her eyes darted around the room, looking for her next target. With a ghastly howl she swiped and swung at everything she saw until not a thing was recognizable any more.

She panted heavily after all was said and done, her sense of reason slowly returning to her once again. Her scythe fell down to the floor and returned to the shadows as she collapsed down to her knees. She gritted her teeth and slammed her fist down into the ground, letting out a frustrated scream.

"I won't let that future come to be! I won't let the madness rule over dammit!"

Death was barely holding onto her sanity. Her psyche was becoming twisted after heading timeline to timeline, looking for some solution or even a hint as to avert the current future that is fated to happen.

She took another deep breath, then shakily forced herself to her feet. She looked around at the demolished room and let out a sigh.

"They say stress on the job causes an early death, but would it apply to me as well?" She gave a bitter laugh.

Death snapped her fingers, and a second later everything began to repair itself and was put back into their proper place as if nothing had ever happened.

She flicked her fingers while she walked back to the throne. Three pieces rose from the chessboard and floated over to her as she eased herself down into the throne. The pieces were from the six different ones, she eyed each one carefully.

One piece was carved into the shape of a black cat. It's eyes were made from little emerald jewels. This piece represented the rejected and forlorn innocent.

Another piece sat a skull on it's base, there were veins of gold running through it, and had a gold coin wedged between it's teeth. This piece represented the greedy yet righteous pirate.

The last piece was a human heart, bound tightly in thorns, making it seem as if it was being squeezed of its last few moments of life. This piece represented the lustful yet warmhearted soldier.

Along with the mirror, these four pieces are the trump cards death needed to obtain to even have a chance at changing the future. If even one fell into the enemies hand then all hope would be lost.

"It all comes down to what choices Kaiden makes now, I can't interfere until the time is right. Then we make our move."

Death grabbed from the mirror from the air, and the other three pieces placed themselves back on the board in response. Then the six pieces rearranged themselves to form a hexagon- the star of Solomon started to glow faintly as the last piece moved into place.

She stared down at the star for a moment. Letting all of the branches she traveled to flash by her again to give her the resolve she needed.

There can be no mistakes, there can be no hesitation, when the time comes she would take responsibility for it. For better or worse.

"I have faith in him- in both him and Roka. Unravel the secrets and in turn unravel time and space itself, that will bring us to the future we so desperately need...so with that-"

Death slammed the mirror down in the center of the star, the star itself began to glow brightly and filled the room with a white light. She gave a grin full of confidence behind her mask as she was engulfed.

"Let the fight for the future begin."

-------------------

Sounds of splattering and crunching echoed out through the city bathed in an orange glow. In the depths of the city a demon roared and writhed.

Another crunch sounded out and blood spattered against the windows of the building.

"Rage, despair, doom. I...I...will annihilate them all. Th...They all shall pay for what they did to me."

A female voice mumbled emotionlessly and bit into the demons flesh, tearing it away while the demon let out an anguished roar.

Moments after an aura bathed the area in a purple glow, and the demons arm was torn away next. Blood flowed out in torrents, dying everything around it in a deep blue as it was tortured.

The arm was lifted up by a girl with long, light purple hair. She opened her mouth wide and let the blood spill into it and onto her face.

"You and your ilk are just like me. Weapons, tools to serve a purpose for their master. Though unlike me you lack a mind to fulfill that purpose in a suitable fashion."

She ripped a piece from the arm and began to eat it. Shivering softly as she watched the demon slowly die.

It was Roka's greatest dream as the weapon she was. To see humans suffer, to writhe as their last moments of life slipped away from them. She wanted to give this gift to all, as payback to what was done to her.

"And soon a new weapon will be joining me, and I won't be as alone anymore...once I expose his darkness anyway, oh it will be just lovely!"

Roka giggled and hugged herself tightly in ecstasy. Reveling at the thought of it...little did she know she was being watched from afar.

Kaiden sat on the roof of a skyscraper with a large grin spread across his face. He heard and saw everything Roka did.

"'Darkness' huh? Ha! I hate to break it to you but my 'darkness' is nothing more than the darkness lingering in the human heart, just a little more...concentrated than others"

He watched her diligently, amused at the sight he saw that unfolded before him. But not at Roka herself, he pitied her for the existence she has had up until now.

What he found amusing was the fact that someone thought they could use him as their pawn and turn him into a emotionless weapon like her. They are about to find out just how rebellious he can be.

"But to think she was serious. Seeing her true nature...I can see what she meant. I wonder if I really can help...hmmm??"

He went silent as he watched Roka's aura suddenly start to distort. The purple mist flowed out of control and bathed everything in a purple light, though it seemed Roka herself was oblivious to it.

She continued to eat into the corpse of the beast. All that Roka thought about was the moment when Kaiden would be turned.

Then out of the blue something unexplainable seized hold of her. Snapping her out of her thoughts of bliss.

"W-What..? Just what was-"

Something shook within her very core. Something she never felt before stirred inside of her, and it scared her- the emotionless weapon.

A memory began to surface from the back of her mind. It was the deal she made with Kaiden. Where he said he would help her get her emotions back.

The memory sent an unexplained warmth through her...and it scared her. She never felt this sensation before, nothing but the pleasure from deleting. She could have sworn she never felt it before...and yet it felt strangely familiar.

"...why?...what does that meaningless deal..."

She mumbled to herself as she clutched her head. She wanted it to go away, she wanted it to stop, it was too much to handle. She clawed at her skin in vein, hoping that would make it go away.

Her eyes narrowed as a foreign thought began to form. Stirring up even more unknown feelings that startled her. She pleaded within her mind to stop it, to make it go away...but the thought was stronger than ever before...until...

*What if he really could return them? What if...he could save me from this existence?*

As if something finally snapped within her, she let out a bloodcurdling scream, her aura flowing out of her chaotically while the thought that flowed through her mind contradicted her very existence. It planted a seed that never existed before within her...that should have never been conceivable.

It gave her...hope.

"NOOOOOOOO GO AWAY!!! DISAPPEAR! DIE,DIE,DIE,DIE,DIE,DIE!!!"

Her body could take the strain no longer, her legs gave out and her vision blackened as she fell unconscious and collapsed to the ground.

Kaiden continued to watch on the roof. Stupefied at what he just saw moments ago. It seemed there was a chance, a saving grace that caused him to rethink his plan...but it would take some time to make it come to fruition.

"Seems she does have a heart after all. This will be the chance I need...let's rephrase that a bit. This will be her chance, I'll do it. I'll push her every so often until it finally gives. And then...I'll take her with me."

His smile grew large while he backed away into a shadow. He would have helped her if he could, but on the off chance her 'master' was watching he chose to be cautious.

Though he did know for certain- he will free her. And he would take her out of this accursed realm with him. He silently swore to himself he would.

"Let's teach her how to be a little rebellious." He gave a laugh and gave her one last look before jumping from the back of the building and returning to home.

-----------------------

"...So I've heard a rumor..."

A female voice said softly, but her words fell on deaf ears.

Merylyn furrowed her brow and pouted. Her body shaking slightly as her temper drew thin.

She had the looks of a punk rocker crossed with a pirate captain. Her hair was a blood red, the right side shaved off to a stubble, with a braid tied up in skull shaped beads of various metals being all that was left of it hanging down the side of her face. The left side was the opposite. Like a wave, it curled down the side of her face and hung to her shoulder, contrasting against her bright green eyes.

Her clothing was composed of a thick leather captains coat that hung down to her knees. Under it she wore a red and black over bust corset, black leather pants with holes torn into them, a pair of black leather combat boots, and last she had a tricorne held to her side.

To her she was twenty four, but in actuality if one was from a different era they would find she was a little over three hundred and fifty...Though if anyone ever tried to bring it up they would face the most gruesome fate one could think of.

"Grrr....are...you..even..LISTENING SAPPHIRE?!" Merylyn bellowed, grinding her teeth, the rage that welled up inside her was strong.

"Bwaa!!! W-W-What?! Wh-why?! Where?! Meryl did it, I'm innocent I swear!"

Merylyn yelled, finally at the end of her rope. She punched Sapphire in the back of the head and grabbed her shoulders, shaking her violently.

"For the love of God, get your head out of the clouds already dammit! Or do I need to snap you out of it myself?!"

A beautiful young woman at twenty two, Sapphire enjoyed teasing Merylyn to no end. She found her bad girl act cute, but she knew Merylyn's true nature buried deep within.

If one saw Sapphire on a day by day basis, they would think of her as an odd duck with beautiful looks. She had a soft, slender face and deep blue eyes hidden behind her glasses, with long, flowing ice blue hair.

She was generously endowed as well. One would mistake her for a model if not for her strange hobby. She thought nothing of it, but to others, they would see her in a costume...a different one everyday. One day a space trooper, another a priestess. Today she was matching Merylyn with a captain costume of her own.

Everyday was something new for the woman with the title of extreme cosplayer- though even she had her dark secrets, her entire life is one...or was until she died. Only Merylyn knows of the things she has done, and the knowledge had managed to send shivers down even her spine.

Sapphire giggled and gave her a wink, sticking her tongue out at her tauntingly.

"Sorry Meryl, I couldn't help myself. Thinking about the last territory we destroyed made my heart melt. The screams! The struggles! Oooh I wish we had more like that."

Merylyn's eyes narrowed while she starred daggers at her partner. She found it hard to believe to this day that Sapphire was a warden.

"It's your fault our toys break too fast to begin with Sapph. You know you can't help yourself around men."

Sapphire brought her hands to her face as feelings of bliss washed over her, making her swoon.

"I can't help it when the struggle like that though! They're adorable when the last of their life leaves their eyes."

Merylyn sighed and reached into her jacket, pulling out a handkerchief. She leaned over and wiped the side of Sapphire's mouth.

"...Easy there girl, you're drooling...Anyway I heard a rumor recently."

Meryl grinned slyly while she folded up the handkerchief and returned it to her pocket.

Sapphire tiled her head with an empty expression, it was obvious she still wasn't paying attention.

Meryl cleared her throat and continued on, not caring anymore at this point. "They say someone similar to your lover boy appeared in your territory. Kai-something....what was it now...Kaito? Kairo?"

Sapphire's eyes narrowed at sound of the news. Her mind raced over old memories, until one name popped up over and over again.

But to her it was impossible, he couldn't be here. Her face darkened as she lowered her head and the name at last came slipping out of her lips.

"....Kaiden."

"Aha! Yes that's who it was! Kaiden."

Meryl pointed at Sapphire, the mystery finally solved. She went silent though not long after once she saw her partners face. To her Sapphire going silent was never a good sign, usually it meant something bad for their victims, or everything around her.

"...I see you've finally gotten serious about this. Penny for your thoughts?"

Sapphire raised her face, her pupils constricted and her mouth twisted into a large grin.

"I think we found our next toy to play with. I'm not very fond of someone impersonating important people in my life."

Meryl gave a loud laugh and summoned flintlock and musket to her hands. Shivering in excitement.

"It's settled! I'm ready to plunder some more, but let's finish this territory off first."

Behind them in the background, a large city was set ablaze. Buildings were in shambles, blood dyed the ground and walls red and screams wailed out under the orange sky within the former den of murders, rapists and beasts...all of this was caused by the very two standing in front of it.

Sapphire thought nothing of it though. One thought continued to distract her and would continue to until she could finally confirm it.

-There's no possible way he's here-

Sapphire thought as they crossed through the rubble, breaking and stealing anything they could find.

-...Because he died when he was only fourteen. Him and all the others I failed to save.-
"It's true that the real world is a shitty game. It's both unreasonable...and illogical...But a happy end will never come to those who want to finish a difficult game with ease." -The World God Only Knows
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Woo, 666 views! (Or was...XD) Will have the epilogue up by the end of the weekend now, been rewriting it. For, you know...the fifth time >.> Probably the prologue for 2 will be up as well. (Depending on if I don't find it as a bunch of giberish)
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

...Well I was going to post them...until my ipod decided to suddenly glitch and delete about...two months worth of notes. No, there's no way of getting them back, so when I'll be posting the epilogue will be indefinite for the time being until I cool down.
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

And I managed to rewrite them! They aren't the same as what I had, but they are definitely better than what I had before. So after the long wait I will post the epilogue for part one and the prologue for part 2. As always, I hope you enjoy them.
Spoiler! :
Yuugare Contract epilogue

Fate has strange way of working.

One day a loved one is alive and well. The next, it's like they never existed to begin with. Only an empty shell left that signifies what they once were.

One day a loved one was living life normally like everyone else....then the next they snap. They become something completely different. As if possessed by an unknown force. And before you know it, they spilled the blood of many, or they took their own life in the most gruesome way possible.

...Fate can be cruel, one can be certain of that. What prompts these horrible occurrences? Where did our good faith go when our lives are suddenly shattered?

Something was taken from me.

Something important, all I know is as I lay in this hospital bed...I'll find whatever it is...even if I have to go to purgatory.

Hmm...Kaiden huh? I feel like me and him can really relate. When I look into his eyes, I see the same sadness that is within me.

He seemed pretty...cool, saving me from that demon like that. But I'm no princess either, I'll find some way to show him up. I won't let that hot shot beat me. (^∇^)

...Maybe I'll find his lost thing too, that would be a good way to beat him...I mean this isn't my first time losing something. Though this time I won't fail, I will find it no matter what the cost.

...The doctor told me to type this diary up to see if it triggers any memories about who I was...but I'm not getting anywhere with this. I don't even know what to write. >.<

Umm...I guess maybe I should describe my surroundings a bit?

I say doctor, but it's only this weird woman who always is in some sort of hazmat suit. She treats me like I'm infected or something...I don't even know what she looks like, she has her faceplate tinted for some reason, and refuses to remove her helmet when I ask her to. She doesn't even talk, just uses a notepad to communicate. (O_o)

Besides that. Like, the place I'm in doesn't even look like a hospital. I'm in the typical pure white room sure, but there are no windows, no roommates. I'm not even allowed to leave my room...not like that would stop me though. A broken leg is nothing~

Anyway...supposedly there is another person from the accident with me. But for some reason they won't let me see him, it can get pretty lonely having no one to talk to I hope they know (T ^ T)

Which is why I tried sneaking into his room. It's right next to mine so it wasn't too hard, but when I got there it had all sorts of security systems on it...I mean mine did too, which is why I kept it propped open

I already checked to see if I could escape, but the elevators were locked up tight too. That and I'm not going to leave the other survivor behind like that.

Though seriously! What kind of 'medical facility' is this?! We're more like prisoners than anything, I know I won't be their lab rat either (-。-;

I think that's all I have for now. The doctor will be coming soon and I'll have to hide this. If anything happens or my memory loss worsens this will help serve as a guide.

If it ever does I'll leave this note for myself: Never forget the pain that lingers in your heart. Let it drive you, let it lead you towards that you've been searching for the most. And eventually you'll find it one day. Good luck! *\(^o^)/*

-Brianna Blackburne 11/8/2020.(・ω・)ノ
Spoiler! :
Yuugare contract prologue 2

"Make a move you faker! The Kaiden I knew was braver than this."

Sapphire shouted, every word she said wrapped in a loathing hatred.

"Brave? It's brave to charge in when you're starring down a sniper barrel? Get real!"

*Memories...are a Mikuru.* Kaiden thought as the memory of what happened just moments before with him and Roka played back in his head.

Kaiden's body was shaking in rage, his knuckles white from gripping the hilt with too much force.

Him and a girl with light blue hair were in one of the skyscrapers that lined his city. She had a weapon which seemed to be taken straight from a sci-fi story.

The giant sword she was holding was composed of a white colored type of metal not yet discovered. It had a jagged edge running down on one side with some kind of blue energy flowing along it, making what would seem to be the blade, but that wasn't the only feature of it. Each edge seemed to hold a gun that could freely detach themselves from the blade at will.

The girl herself was wearing a form fitting white bodysuit which had the same blue energy flowing around it. It brought out every curve of her body, maybe even enhanced them a bit. But that wasn't what struck out the most. It was the cold, deep blue eyes she had.

*What memories are real? And...*

"...not to be a party pooper...but shouldn't we stop them before they destroy more of the city?"

A girl with purple hair said jeeringly while she was watching, she had a fox mask hanging off the side of her face and her large smile betraying what she said previously. She had a barrel of a flintlock pressed against her head.

The owner of said flintlock towered over all of them, half of her head was shaved while the other half with her blood red hair flowed down to her shoulder. She had a braid hanging down the shaved side, a remnant of what once was.

"Nope. My warden wants to fight your prisoner. And we're going to let them...as much as I would like to fight the scrub myself."

Meryl said with a cocky grin. Her confidence was showing with them having the 'advantage'.

"Oh ho so I see!...but if I were you I'd wipe that smirk off your face soon."

Roka's face darkened as she lowered her head, her smile broadening slowly as she said those words very smoothly, almost like a snake ensnaring it's prey.

"I wouldn't make demands in your position Mikuru. Now shut the poke up and watch as your partner is deleted."

Meryl's short temper showed as always, her mouth was as foul as it's ever been...but in her defense she was a three hundred year old pirate. She had every right to have a sailors mouth.

...Then it happened in an instant. Both Kaiden and Sapphire disappeared from sight. The only signs that showed they were still there were the clang of their blades and the destruction of the office room they were in as pillars and walls came tumbling down, desks and chairs cut in half.

After a few moments they flashed back into view again. Kaiden was on his knees with his sword stabbed into the floor as a pool of blood spread across the floor. Sapphire's weapon turned into that of a sniper riffle, the jagged edges were detached from it and were floating in the air around them, little cannons protruded from them. Ready to shoot on command.

"It's over faker. I will make you pay for using Kaiden's image."

A smile suddenly spread across Kaiden's face despite his circumstances, he began to laugh.

"Look how far you've come Sapph. From being timid as hell to badass in just a few years. I'm proud of you."

*What memories are fake?*

"W-What did you say? That name...no! NO! It can't be possible..."

Sapphire stiffened as she heard her old nickname. Her body shaking steadily as an old memory came to her mind. Kaiden found that as his chance. With a motion of his fingers, his blood flowed up and hardened around both Sapphire's and Meryl's legs, ensnaring them to the floor.

"Now Roka! Do it!"

Roka giggled mischievously and snapped her fingers as the two struggled against their bonds. An explosion racked against the side of the building suddenly, and moments later a large airship came nose diving straight at them.

"Oh you have got to be shi-" Meryl mumbled, her eyes wide with shock as her beloved ship was hurtling at them at a high speed.

The office was torn up and the inhabitants were caught up in the havoc as the ship destroyed everything in sight.
Calculatrix
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Calculatrix »

It's been a long time. And after all this time(after reading chapter 4 and 5 on page 2), I still enjoy reading this story. I don't know why I like reading this but I really do haha. The longer chapters was definitely awesome. I've bookmarked this so I can come back to it later:D
Author of "Weaver of Chaos" and "Code : Reality"
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Enjoy it while you can lol. Most of the chapters will be pulled at one point, I'm revising them all after a friend really nailed his critique onto me. It was harsh, but effective xD. The general premise of the story won't change, but a lot of the scenes will be altered, some things removed, some things added. And a hopefully longer, polished chapter will take its place, though it also means I'll be posting slower as well.
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Ok under a friends suggestion what I'm going to do is this. When I finish a revised chapter it will be replaced, and I will give a notification. Whether or not you go back to it is your decision. So! What I will be doing with one for the moment is breaking it into two chapters. I won't be doing this until I finish rewriting the second part into a suitable second chapter.

On a different note, I see this thread has a bulb next to it now and is at the top, someone explain this to me. If its because the mods actually found this interesting then I'm surprised (Because this is trash xD)
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Revised chapter 1 is done! Will be deleting the original version of it. The chapters will be out of place for a while, but the majority of them will be revised as well so it won't be too confusing. Opinions are valued! I've been trying out a newish style I've picked up from a few books I have read.
Spoiler! :
Yuugare contract.

Thunder boomed through the sky, warning of a potential downpour. Sirens blazed through the night, trying to get to their destination as fast as they could...There had been a terrible accident.

"Ugh...where am I?"

A young man with disheveled dirty blond hair groaned, his body felt as if a truck had rammed into it. He gave a violent cough from the smoke that burned his lungs, and loosened the scarf wrapped around his neck in an attempt to get some fresh air. He could hear the crackle of fire nearby.

"What happened? I know...I was riding a train with Brianna, but....wait, where is she?!"

Kaiden tried to get a grip, looking around only to find darknesses chilling embrace. He tried to rise to his feet but was overwhelmed with a strong feeling of nausea, he then vomited violently as a sharp pain jolted through his body.

"Dammit this blows! I can't see anything and now my body decides to break down on me!"

Kaiden gritted his teeth as rage flowed through him. He leaned onto his palms and tried to force himself up, a sharp pain in his stomach once again impeding his progress.

"You still don't get it yet do you?" He was thrown into a state of confusion as a female voice echoed throughout the darkness. Making her seem as if she were a specter there to only annoy him further than he already had been.

He furrowed his brow and let out a sigh, brushing it off. "Get what? I can't even remember what happened, much less think straight right now."

He grumbled, moving his hand down to his stomach to see what the problem was.

-Suddenly, his pupils narrowed, his heart began to race. His mind was thrown into a state of panic and disbelief as he yanked back his now damp hand.

"I see you finally figured it out."

The voice sneered, but he paid no mind to it. The only thing he could think of was the steel pole he found impaled into his stomach.

His mouth was tinged with the dull taste of iron as blood dyed his lips. His hand tinted in the deep red of his own blood.

"H-How...? I don't-...NO! No this can't be, I can't be..."

The voice gave a chilling laugh filled with sadistic delight. Kaiden clutched his jacket, his shoulders shaking in frustration.

"How about you enlighten me to what's so funny? You must feel real tough hiding in the darkness like that."

Everything grew deathly silent around his abyss. The only thing he could hear was the roar of blood pumping through his ears and the crackle of fire from the distance.

Then, out of the blue, a whisper hissed into his ears. Sending a disturbing chill through his body.

"Hiding? I've been right next to you this entire time...Quick to jump to conclusions aren't we?"

His pupils narrowed and his breath quickened. He didn't notice before but he could feel the warmth of another's hand on top of his own.

He could feel her warm breath against his ear as she whispered again. Her voice enjoying every moment of his torture.

"You know...there is fire all around us. In my eyes I think it's brighter than the sun here...but that's just me."

Kaiden clenched his jaw. He knew what this meant, he knew the state his eyes were in. His body was in.

"And what do you get out of all of this? What exactly do you want from me?" He tried to keep his voice steady, but no matter how hard he tried his voice faltered while his body shook steadily.

The woman giggled at his misery, she wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"How would you put it. I'm a...reaper who has come to collect your soul. I would also be the one who caused your accident."

She sneered as she tightened her grip around his waist. She nudged her face against his, knowing he wouldn't have the strength to do much.

...But instead of Kaiden panicking more, she found he actually looked more composed than he did before. He even had a large, arrogant grin spread across his face.

"Then I'll see you in hell. And when I find you I'll pay you back two fold."

The girl was stunned by his reaction. Blinking as it set in, she shook her head and smiled as well.

"Very good then, use that rage, that anger to fight tooth and nail through the afterlife. And maybe if you're lucky you might just get your wish."

Kaiden's smile grew in response. Then in a final burst of strength, he wrapped his hands around the pole in his stomach. He gripped it firmly as he began to yank it out, he ground his teeth as screams of agony passed his lips and streams of blood leaked out around the pole.

The girl backed away from him in a hurry. Her voice full of disbelief at the scene unfolding in front of her. "W-What the hell are you doing?! You'll die if you continue to do that!"

Kaiden turned his head towards the voice, giving her a toothy smile. The shadows from the fire distorted his face, making him seem almost as if he was a devil reborn.

"I'm not giving you the satisfaction of watching me die a slow death. I have my pride, Mikuru."

The girl watched the scene, speechless. He couldn't see it of course, but she lowered her head, her hands beginning to bleed as she dug her nails into her palm.

"You always did value that pride of yours highly." She mumbled to herself quietly.

And with a bloodcurdling howl and a bone crunching noise sounding out, he yanked the pole out from his body and threw it across the road, the cold steel echoed out as it hit the ground.

And like water flowing out from a broken dam, blood spurted out from his wound. Covering both him and the specter in blood.

Kaiden panted heavily and collapsed to the ground in the puddle of his own blood that steadily grew around him. He looked towards where he thought she still was, giving her a victorious smirk as streams of blood ran down his chin. He mouth filling with it as he felt a chill pass through his body.

"Tell me this lady: Is my sister all right? I can't remember the accident so I'm still uncertain."

He felt a warm hand against his face. The woman in question was kneeling beside him. With one, last amusing remark she gave him the answer he yearned for.

"How do you think you got that pole in you to begin with? You weren't just going to let fate take your pride and joy from you."

And with that retort the entire accident flashed through his mind instantly. Him and a beautiful girl with platinum blonde hair walking beside him into the train. Then minutes after, the train rocked, then teetered, and finally with the screech of twisted metal, derailed and fell onto the busy city street below them. As they fell a pole knocked lose and headed straight at the girl. Time seemed to slow around him as he watched helplessly. He screamed, his muscles strained as he jumped to push her out of the way before it was too late. And then the loud screech of the metal crushing against the asphalt vibrated vibrated through his head as darkness swallowed him.

Tears rolled down his face as he gave a sigh of relief. He then raised a certain derogatory finger at the reaper. Laughing contentedly.

"Now I can go to hell without any regrets. Wait for me there, I promise you'll be in for a show...How about giving me a name miss murderer?"

The girl gave an arrogant grin as she wrapped her hands around his.

"You better not disappoint me then. I'll be looking forward to it and that foul mouth of yours. -As for my name I'll give you a hint: it means night."

She waited for a retort but it never passed his lips. He was already gone. His skin white and cold as snow, his eyes empty and lifeless.

The woman's hands suddenly began to shake violently. Many tears began to fall on his face as she gripped his hand tightly.

"You have no idea how stressful putting on an act like that is to a girl Kaiden...Maybe one day you will find it in you to forgive me for what I've done. But this was the only way."

With that final statement, the woman reached over to close his eyes. Then, hesitantly she leaned forward and gave a brief kiss to his cold forehead. When she was done with her business she rose to her feet and disappeared into the night, carrying the boy's body with her.
Last edited by Arcsol93 on Fri May 15, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanda Hikaru
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Tsukumodo Antique Shop

Post by Kanda Hikaru »

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but shouldn't the title be "Yuugure Contract?"
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Kanda Hikaru wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but shouldn't the title be "Yuugure Contract?"
*Facepalm* Crap, honestly it was an old file I had on my emails. The edited version had the original title but that was wiped when my ipod kicked the bucket with the new update. Fixing that now, thanks. Also going to be separating the second section into the second chapter instead.
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Chapter 2 is here. Decided not to make it a separate section because of an article I read. Future advice for other novice writers like me. The length of a chapter doesn't matter, a chapter is a mini-story and as long as it gets that point across then the chapter has done its job.
Spoiler! :
Yuugare Contract Chapter 2

Kaiden tossed and turned in his bed, muttering with his face twisted in agony while asleep. Then, he shot up suddenly as something jolted him awake within the nightmare.

"When I get my hands on you! I'll!-" He yelled at his nonexistent assailant until he noticed where he was.

He checked his body frantically for wounds. -More importantly his stomach to see if it had a gaping hole. Finding nothing, he fell back into his bed with a groan and covered his face, breathing heavily from the nightmare.

It wasn't his first time having vivid nightmares like this, every night for as long as he could remember he had horrible dreams that left him devoid of the precious sleep he desperately needed to get through the day.
To make up for the lack of sleep, he took naps throughout the day, making his hair look like a pair of birds flocked into it and made a nest of it.

"How many years has this gone on for? They say to just take control of the dream and make it into what you want...but nothing works!" Kaiden took his pillow and hurled it at his door in frustration.

He laid in his bed for a few minutes longer, taking a deep breath to calm himself down before getting up to pick up his abused pillow.
As he was reaching down, his reflection in the mirror caught his attention. What he saw was a seventeen year old with dirty blonde bed head hair, dark brown eyes, and a grumpy look on his face. He knew he wasn't the best looking in the looks department, but he knew he wasn't terrible looking either.

Kaiden shook his head to be rid of the distraction and snatched his pillow from the floor. He tossed it back onto his bed and walked over to the window by his bed, pulling the drapes open to let a dull orange glow bathe the room.

He noticed something was off...Something that has never happened before, something he thought that was impossible for him.

It was sunset. Never before has he ever had the luck to sleep five hours, much less more than twelve with his constant nightmares.
"There is no way that's possible. Maybe I fell asleep at noon or something?" Kaiden said to himself as he stared out the window stupefied. Sure enough it was sunset, no matter how much he denied it.

Kaiden clutched his head in frustration. "Grrrr...why can't I remember anything!" He yelled as he tried to remember the events of the night before, but was coming up short. He felt as if he was forgetting something, like a piece of him was missing. No matter what he did though, he could not find the answers he was seeking.
He gave up on the thought for now, leaning on the windowsill and looking at the cloudless sky. He felt sad, defeated for some reason.

"Nothing for it I guess, no point in wasting what's left of the day." Kaiden continued to talk to himself and walked over to his wardrobe to get dressed....but what he found sent his mind into overdrive, someone had to be screwing with him is what he thought.

His usual outfit was in there, but the problem was it wasn't just one set of clothes. There was at least a dozen copies of it filling up the entire space.

Kaiden's mind was blank as he tried to process the scene in front of him. "...Is this supposed to be someone's idea of a poking joke? Because I'm not laughing!
He dug around, tossing out copy after copy from the wardrobe, looking for the one item that didn't happen to be there. He paused and gave a sigh of relief, he managed to find it in the place he usually put it.

It was a black leather collar, on the D-ring a silver skull and crossbones pendant hung from it. It was given to him long ago when he was young, but he can't remember who exactly gave it to him though. Regardless, it was something he never left home without.

Well, if they really knew him, there would also be duplicates of the collar right? But why even make so many copies of the same thing in the first place? He wondered as he fastened his collar around his neck, throwing off his night clothes and picking up parts of his clothing strewn across the floor.

His clothing consisted of black jeans, a dark blue shirt with a gravestone in the center of it with the words "Here lies your hopes and dreams." Over that he wore a white hoodie with fur trim around the hood. It wasn't very practical to wear in public, but he never bothered with others thoughts to begin with.

Once he got himself dressed, Kaiden headed downstairs, made something quick to eat, and headed out for his usual stroll around town to find something interesting. His friend count was at a zero, he had no hobbies, so watching other people go through hell was what occupied most of his time.

...But what he got was something far more than that. As soon as he was downtown he paused and looked around. There wasn't a person in sight, all he managed to find were parked cars. No matter where he looked he couldn't seem to see a single person.

"Ok, either I'm still dreaming or..." Kaiden paused, listening for any sign of life: a person, an animal, the wind. But all he got in return was a silence that chilled his very core. "It's as if the earth went extinct while I was asleep, there's no way this can be real. This has to be one of those dream within a dream situations I've heard about."

"I can assure you, this is no dream." A female voice echoed out, bouncing back and forth between the skyscrapers. Kaiden glanced around, trying to find the voice's owner, but the sound seemed like it came from every direction. "I'm up here. You're pretty amusing aren't you?"
This time Kaiden could hear her voice clearly and directed his attention to the large building across from him.

At the top he saw a girl around his age- seventeen, sitting on a ledge. He couldn't really tell from her being so high up, but he was certain she was slightly taller than him, her modest figure covered up by a flowing, light blue sundress.
Her most striking feature though, was her straight, light purple hair that hung down to her waist, and the red and white fox mask that covered her face.

It was all very mysterious to Kaiden...but his patience with the mysterious and strange was drawing thin, and this was on the verge of snapping it. "Who the hell are you and how do you know my name!" He shouted, pointing an accusatory finger at the girl.

"Not very polite are we? No matter, I'm not the type to be polite either." The girl snickered and moved her mask to the side of her head, revealing quite the pretty face...not that Kaiden would admit to that. Though he wondered why she had her eyes closed, was she blind? Or was there another reason for it? And then the broad smile she had spread across her face sent chills down his spine for some reason, like there was some sort of deviousness hidden underneath it.
"My name is Roka, Roka Teine. Welcome to the end of your life Kaiden." Roka twisted her words to make it sound almost pleasant. "I hope you wore something nice before you died...though glancing at your shirt, I would say that you are very witty." The girl covered her snide smirk with her hand.

Kaiden didn't know what to think. Rather, there was so much to think of his temper was raging, something had to be up, and he wasn't going to stand for it.
"End of my life? I'm dead? What in the hell are you talking about? Am I being punked, is this all part of some sort of elaborate tv show or something?" Kaiden gritted his teeth, and swept his hand through the air angrily, finally fed up with the day and ready to just go back to bed.
"I've got a message for you producers, and all of you lovely viewers out there watching this. I hope you all get smashed by your precious tv's, it'll save all of us much needed air you mouth breathers are wasting. Got a problem with my opinion? Then you can just go and bite me! I'm out of here..."

Kaiden began to walk back towards his home , muttering some colorful curses under his breath.
"...Well that wasn't very nice at all. And here I am trying to have a nice, civil conversation with you." Kaiden's blood ran cold as he heard the girl's voice right behind him.

He began to turn his head in disbelief when a sudden pain erupted in his throat...it was right after that blood sprayed out from a cut on the front of his neck.

He brought his hands up to his neck in a vein attempt to stop the blood flow, and fell to his knees as he felt his legs grow limp. It was then when the girl wrapped her arms around his neck gently, pressing her warm body tightly against his body that was steadily growing colder by the second. Kaiden tried to speak, but only a few gargled mumbles came out of his blood filled mouth as he choked on blood. His hands fell to their sides as his body lost its energy, his eyes going blank as blood streamed from his mouth.
The girl chuckled and snuggled into him, drawing in close to whisper in his ear. "Consider this a love bite my sweet, since you so graciously asked for it." Roka purred softly and ran her tongue along his neck, lapping up the blood on it. "Mmm, that's some delicious blood you have here, I'll have to help myself to some more when there's time. Anyway, I'll be your partner from here on out, I hope we can get along in purgatory as fellow murderers in arms." She gave a cold cruel smile, and rubbed her face against his affectionately.

Once more many thoughts ran through Kaiden's mind as his life flashed before his eyes. Purgatory? Murderer? What kind of sick twisted dream is this? Sure, he had gotten into quite a few fights, but murder was the furthest thing from his mind.
But it was hard to form a coherent thought as the seconds ticked by, his mind was foggy, his sight grew dark as his eyes had trouble focusing.

"Sleep well Kaiden, I'll be sure to take real good care of you while you rest. But when you wake, your own personal hell awaits you." Roka's laugh was the last thing Kaiden heard as his vision went black and his mind gave way to unconsciousness from the blood loss.

Return to “Creative works”