OLN: Yuugare Contract

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Arcsol93
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: OLN: Yuugare Contract

Post by Arcsol93 »

...My god, I proofread that at least five times...and yet I never...*Facepalm*

Fixed now, thanks lol.
"It's true that the real world is a shitty game. It's both unreasonable...and illogical...But a happy end will never come to those who want to finish a difficult game with ease." -The World God Only Knows
Calculatrix
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Calculatrix »

No problem, happens to me sometimes too:D
Author of "Weaver of Chaos" and "Code : Reality"
caparo
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by caparo »

Arcsol93 wrote: Thanks for those opinions. :)
Glad to help :D

Waiting for next chapter.
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Just hopped on to give a quick update. Was getting a few loose ends tied up with the plot, and was brainstorming how I wanted to approach chapter 3. Got the gist of what I want to do down so it should be up sometime this week. Expect an interesting surprise lol.
"It's true that the real world is a shitty game. It's both unreasonable...and illogical...But a happy end will never come to those who want to finish a difficult game with ease." -The World God Only Knows
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Chapter 3 is finally finished, took me a while but I finally have it written the way I intended. Also when you get at the end...yes its exactly as you think, well the identity anyway, can't say anything on the circumstances.

Anyway I hope you like it and I'll try to have 4 up as soon as I can.
Spoiler! :
Yuugare Contract chapter 3

While Kaiden was running away from a demon across the mall, Roka was peacefully sipping her tea in the cafe.

"So what are your thoughts on him, Roka?"

An orb materialized and floated around her. The voice that emitted from it sounded androgynous.

"He's very strange; claims he is innocent and even rejected the contract. I find it all very hard to believe."

The orb let out a laugh as it rested on the table, glowing a multitude of colors.

"I wouldn't talk if I were you Roka - you're no better. So... do you think he will be useful?"

Roka's macabre smile appeared once again on her face. She ran her slender fingers along the fox mask that sat on the table.

"No doubt about it. He could even accomplish our long awaited goal depending on how this test turns out."

"Obviously. I mean if he's devoured-"

"-I never said anything about him getting devoured. He will definitely survive. What matters are the consequences afterwards."

"...I see, so he's of that level...very interesting. I'll leave you to it then. Don't fail me, Roka."

The orb dispersed soon after, leaving Roka to herself. She slid her mask onto her face and walked into the mall, a dark aura steadily growing around her.

*As if I'd ever really do your bidding. You'll get what's coming to you in due time... You and all the others who invaded my life.*

------------------

The mall was falling into shambles as Kaiden ran from the unseen demon, his lungs burning from exhaustion.

"D-Damn that Roka! How in the hell does she expect me to fight something I can't see? Unarmed at that!"

He was blasted forward from the floor erupting behind him, large claw marks appearing on the bits that flew through the air.

Kaiden gritted his teeth and booked it faster through the mall, taking a glance at some of the bystanders walking by.

"Wait a second, how is no one freaking out over this? The mall is getting torn apart, for crying out-"

He took a glance behind him to where the hole in the floor was made. His eyes widened in surprise as he saw a person walk over the hole like nothing happened at all.

"..loud. Well that answers that question. I suppose they can't see me and this thing either."

Roka's earlier statement ran through his head.

~We are in a plane of existence where both realms are merged~

"So what's getting destroyed is the afterlife's version... but why did we have to merge them to begin with?"

His thoughts were interrupted by a crushing force that slammed against his back, sending him flying through the mall until his body crashed onto a wall, leaving a large crater as he slid down to the floor.

"D-Dammit. Those matters aside, I still don't know how to kill this thing."

Kaiden coughed up a considerable amount of blood and clutched his side, breathing heavily as he struggled to stand.

"And on another note, I'm fairly sure the Itsuki broke at least three ribs and gouged open my back with that blow... Seems fate just has it out to do me in. But-"

He mustered whatever strength he had left and sprinted toward the direction he thought the unseen force was, lunging at it with a twisted smile on his face.

"Like hell I would ever go down without a fight! Give me your best shot you rotten piece of shit!"

In that very moment a barrier materialized, knocking Kaiden back to the wall. The barrier was flashing vibrantly from something large smashing onto it.

"You know - you're either very brave or very stupid to have done a stunt like that."

A girl appeared in front of him carrying a short sword, the hilt of it adorned with a pair of wings.

The girl from what he saw had platinum blond hair tied into pigtails which hung to her shoulders, her glowing, white skin almost blending in with it.

Her clothing seemed to be composed of a light purple cami top, a pair of cargo shorts, and a light blue scarf wrapped around her neck.

"If you don't want to be devoured then I suggest you come with me."

Kaiden scowled as he rose onto his feet, his knees almost giving in.

"And if I refuse? You ruined an epic moment right there. I can kill it myself."

Following a flash, a point of another short sword pressed up against his chest.

"Then I'll kill you and drag your corpse with me until you wake or you can follow me willingly. Pick your poison, hotshot."

The girl turned her head towards him, her ice blue eyes and her smiling thin lips showing her excitement.

Kaiden sighed and held his hand up in the air, and the girl waved the offending blade to the side.

"...Since I don't feel like dying for a third time and being dragged around like a doll, I think I'll take you up on your offer."

"Ok then, get ready to run. Try not fall behind now, hotshot."

"Heh. Do you even know who you're talking to? I'll make you eat my dust!"

The girl let out a giggle. The sword she was holding a moment ago disappeared. She raised her hand and the barrier flashed briefly before exploding outwards, sending the unseen demon crashing into a store nearby.

The two bolted from the beast as fast as they could, racing past many corners before the demon started to catch up.

"Geez, why did she have to pick this one for you to practice on? I swear there isn't a moment Roka doesn't cause trouble."

The girl mumbled and bit her lip. Turning around, she pointed her sword up at the ceiling.

"Let's see you catch us after this!"

She shot a beam from the sword into the ceiling, collapsing a massive amount of rubble and cutting off the corridor.

Satisfied, the girl grabbed onto Kaiden's hand and pulled him into a service hallway. They weaved through corridors and rooms before finally stopping to take a breather.

"I think we should be fine for now. This should give us enough time to teach you how to fight."

Kaiden leaned on his knees, gasping for air while the girl sat down on the floor beside him, clutching her chest as she caught her breath.

"Ho...Hold up now, who the hell are you and what's your relationship with Roka? This is all just becoming ridiculous now."

The girl widened her eyes in realization, letting out a sigh of frustration.

"Seems like I lose track of my manners when I get excited. Sorry about that."

She smiled softly and held her hand out to him.

He caught sight of an ornament pinned onto the scarf when he reached out and shook her hand. It was a pair of angel wings.

"My name is Brianna, I'm a friend of Roka's. It's nice to meet you Kaiden."
Last edited by Arcsol93 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calculatrix
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Calculatrix »

Come on...longer chapters!:D I'm starting to really enjoy this story, and Kaiden's personality is one of my favorites...which makes it even better. I'm waiting for the next chapter.
Author of "Weaver of Chaos" and "Code : Reality"
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Calculatrix wrote:Come on...longer chapters!:D I'm starting to really enjoy this story, and Kaiden's personality is one of my favorites...which makes it even better. I'm waiting for the next chapter.
Lol to be honest when I finished writing it I thought it was longer than the other two but when I posted it on here I did a double take and noticed it was only 6 pages T.T smallest of them yet. With how I have it planned though 4 -should- be longer since I have a few things planned with Brianna and a little sibling rivalry, if not then for certain 5.
Himeko Inaba
Mikuru's Master

Post by Himeko Inaba »

I just skimmed it

but "gauged" (measured) > "gouged" (deeply cut). Unless your characters were fighting with measuring tapes.
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Bah how do I keep missing simple errors like that. I swear I'm dyslexic or something, thanks I'll fix that error now. (Though them fighting with measuring tapes, hmm...I think I'll sleep on that, maybe a spoof chapter. lol)
Himeko Inaba
Mikuru's Master

Post by Himeko Inaba »

Sharpened tapes could be dangerous for sneak attacks. I've already sliced my finger open with a normal one at work.
caparo
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by caparo »

Arcsol93 wrote:
Calculatrix wrote:Come on...longer chapters!:D I'm starting to really enjoy this story, and Kaiden's personality is one of my favorites...which makes it even better. I'm waiting for the next chapter.
Lol to be honest when I finished writing it I thought it was longer than the other two but when I posted it on here I did a double take and noticed it was only 6 pages T.T smallest of them yet. With how I have it planned though 4 -should- be longer since I have a few things planned with Brianna and a little sibling rivalry, if not then for certain 5.
I agree with Calculatrix - It's too short!

Your plans sounds intriguing. Keep these chapters coming.
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

I'm sorrrrrrry XD I could have sworn it was longer on my ipod but I was deceived! Though I'm satisfied as long as it doesn't go any lower than six, less than that will make me feel I rushed it.

I'm fairly sure 4 will be a bit longer as it will touch on a few aspects of the story, though 5 will touch on more, so if 4 is short 5 will definitely make up for it. Though I don't know if I will finish the volume up with 5 and the epilogue or if I brainstorm on this other thought and put in a sixth and then the epilogue, depends on how well it flows with the rest of the story I guess.
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

Chapter 4 is done, though I still need to get it edited. This one will be the largest of them yet at 15 pages lol, for some reason it seems I either write too few or too many pages. Should be up soon if I feel I'm satisfied with what I have down.

(Mods if any are looking at this thread can you delete this message? Noticed I triple posted, will cool it with the heads up messages from here on in.)
Last edited by Arcsol93 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

And here is chapter 4! There may be some things still subject to change with it but overall I'm satisfied with it. Don't know what I would do without bitter and their editing lol.

Alsooooo in case people ignored the first post or many other times I put it I will say it here. TRIGGER WARNING! This chapter does contain suicide! Do NOT say I didn't warn you, you have been warned. Any complaints on it will be ignored and this sentence will be quoted in response.

And with that who are reading it, I hope you enjoy it.
Spoiler! :
Yuugare Contract chapter 4

"Come on, Kaiden. It's not that hard to do."

"Say that when you haven't been killed numerous times, dammit!"

Kaiden and Brianna were down in the basement of the mall. She had her sword drawn, which stabbed into Kaiden's shoulder with him pinned against the wall.

"Okay.. You tell me how I am supposed to fight back. Enlighten me, please."

Brianna sighed and pulled her blade out, wiping the blood off with a rag.

"I've already told you - your ability will emerge when your life is in extreme danger... well, danger of being erased, that is."

"Okay and I've been -in danger- for how many times? A dozen? I think you just like using me as a pin cushion."

"Maybe I should aim for you mouth next..."

Brianna mumbled while Kaiden rubbed his shoulder, the wound slowly closing up.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all, hotshot."

"Okay. So show me, how do you that?"

"W-Well... you know."

Brianna shrank back a little, scratching her cheek.

"Aha! With a *woosh!*"

Brianna flourished her arm in an awkward manner. Kaiden slumped over a little, letting out a sigh.

"With a...*woosh?*"

"Yeah. You know - with a *swish!*"

"...You have no clue how you did it, do you?"

She gave a big, awkward smile and rubbed the back of her head.

"Hahahaha....ha.... you got me - looks like I've been caught."

Kaiden almost stumbled over in shock, gritting his teeth angrily.

"What was all that for, then?! I got killed for nothing, dammit! I knew you were dense but this is ridiculous."

"H-Hey! At least I know how to fight, Mr. 'I can't do anything right'... Although I'm a natural born fighter, you're-"

Brianna looked at him from top to bottom, then gave him a smug expression. Kaiden was at his limits.

"Oh, so we're going through that route? At least I'm not as dumb as a sack of bricks. Also, I can fist fight better than anyone."

"Is that a challenge I hear? I can outschool you any day, little boy."

"Bring it on, princess!"

At the top of the steps, Roka listened in intently as the two squabbled.

"At this rate the consequences will be getting serious with them messing around... but he will pull it off in the end."

Roka giggled and walked off through the corridor leading back into the mall, leaving the two to fight.

-----------------------

"Y-You're pretty good for a hotshot, seems like I was wrong about you."

"You're not too bad yourself princess, you pack a good punch."

Both of them had their fist embedded into each other's face, then as if all the strength left their bodies, they both collapsed to the ground.

Both of them went silent for a while until Brianna started to stammer, her face lightly flushed.

"H-Hey, Kaiden? I'm s-sorry, I underestimated you. It's my fault you're not able to do anything yet."

"No, no, you're fine. I can just be stuck in my ways. It's just that nothing makes sense since I've gotten here."

Kaiden covered his face with his hand and let out a sigh.

"So how did you get here, Brianna?"

She turned her head towards Kaiden, her face carrying a serious expression.

"I can't say I'm -here-, but I'm looking for something or someone...it's like there's something missing - like there's a big gap in my heart that needs to be filled."

"...Ah well. I know it's none of my business but I hope you find what you're looking for, though I don't think there is much of anything in this hellhole."

Brianna let out a sigh and stared up at the ceiling, a watery gloss forming in her eyes.

"I know that, I really do, but I just can't shake the feeling that it's here for some reason."

Tears began to run down her face with her words. She clenched her jaw in frustration as her body began to tremble.

"How pathetic am I? Crying for something that may just be in my head... I can't do anything right, it seems."

Kaiden reached over, brushing the tears off her cheek, stunning Brianna into silence.

"W-What are you-"

She looked over to Kaiden who was staring up at the ceiling, his eyes covered in shadows and his face emotionless.

"I don't know why, when I barely know you... but when I see you cry, it hurts me in the inside... you'll find whatever it is - you just need to have a little faith."

The two were quiet for a moment before the entire basement suddenly began to shake. They looked up as the ceiling began to crack.

"Look out!"

Brianna shouted and pushed Kaiden away as the ceiling shattered, throwing up a barrier around herself.

A massive growl came from above and Brianna's barrier flashed bright immediately after as a large mass fell onto it. She screamed before passing out from the shock of the weight crushing down on her.

"Brianna, hold on!"

Kaiden ran towards the force but was blown backwards when a purple fire swirled around it. The demon screeched loudly as the flames seared its flesh.

"I got her right here... it seems the beast found you two from your scent."

Roka appeared next to Kaiden with Brianna on her back. She was wielding an ivory staff with intricate designs running down along the shaft with a skull at the tip of it.

"Here, you take her for me, I'll hold it off while you get away."

"But I can't just-"

"Don't worry about me, I'm not the type to be the damsel in distress...there are better people to save."

He looked at her face with her broad smile and hoisted Brianna onto his back.

It bothered him that he could feel no emotions behind those words. He was resolved to get to the bottom of it.

"Fine, but if we get out of this alive, I want some answers. Beginning with why you have no emotions."

"...Nothing escapes you, hmm? Fine, you have a deal. I'll give you a little something for good luck as well."

Roka ran her hand along Kaiden's cheek, moved her face closer and pressed her lips against it briefly before pushing him towards the stairs.

"Now go, this little toy is nothing."

"I-I'll have you know you'll be stopping that too!"

He yelled and started running up the stairs, booking it through the mall as fast as he could.

"Fufufu, not a chance. You're just too fun to tease."

Roka licked her lips and discharged more fire, the demon roaring in agony as the flames lashed at it.

-------------------

Kaiden collapsed to his knees in a food court, panting. His lungs were burning and were in dire need of air.

"Haa, hopefully t-this will be far enough."

His hopes weren't answered though as the floor cracked beneath him, sending him flying once more as the floor blasted open.

"Dammit, Brianna!"

He pushed himself off of the floor and leaned against a table, watching Brianna being lifted off the floor. The beast's crushing grip caused her to scream in agony.

*Think! That riddle Roka gave must have meant something..!"

He gave the table beside him a death grip and frantically searched for a solution that would save Brianna.

The memory of Brianna's sword appearing in her hand and Roka's flames flashed into his mind.

*Wait a second, then that would mean...*

He steadied himself and took a deep breath, recalling Roka's riddle and Brianna's advice.

~What exists in the world of life doesn't exist in the afterlife, what exists in the afterlife doesn't exist in the world of life.~

~Your ability will emerge when your life is in extreme danger.~

He stared down at his arm which was wounded by the explosions of debris. Blood seeped out of the cut steadily, making his arm damp and stained crimson.

"If this doesn't work then-"

He bolted towards the force while Brianna continued to scream. He leaped high and let out a roar, determined to save her.

"Get your filthy hands off her you freaking beast!"

It all happened in just a moment - a blinding light, the sound of a slice, and the excruciating roar from the demon.

The demon's arm fell to the floor, blood spluttering out abundantly. Kaiden landed behind the beast with Brianna on his shoulder. His body was covered in a blue blood and a greatsword was in his hand.

The blade wasn't made of steel but of his own blood. Alchemic runes glowed within the blade, and its cross guard had a massive bloodshot eye.

Kaiden stumbled to his knees and let out a sigh of relief. The demon smashed a few stores behind him in rage while he laid Brianna down on the floor.

"Glad it worked, though this blood stinks to high hell... give me a moment to get rid if this trash, Brianna. I'll be right back."

The demon roared behind him as it went in for the attack again, but an explosion of fire halted its movements.

"Glad you finally figured out the riddle. I was afraid you would never get it."

Roka jumped out of the hole in the floor, landing next to Kaiden.

"It took a while, but..."

He laughed and flourished his greatsword, taking an offensive stance.

"Who would have thought this was all actually real to begin with? The blood magic is a little cliche but I can tolerate for now."

"So I take it you can see it now, right?"

"Yep, though I would have preferred it to stay invisible. What an ugly mug."

The demon which was now visible to Kaiden brushed away the fire scorching it. Steam blew from its nostrils and it was become more enraged than it already was.

The beast had the body of a massive gorilla, its appearance a mixture of muscle, bone and blood flowing around it. Black, hollow holes were there instead for its eyes and nose, and all of its sharp, curved fangs protruded from its mouth.

"Think you can finish this in one shot, Mr Bed head? You look a little worse for wear."

"Heh, says the girl with blood running down her face and her arms gouged open. I can, as long as you don't hold me back."

"Oh, I can assure you-"

A massive amount of flames built up around her which moved towards the demon menacingly, the purple flames turning into what looked like a beast itself.

"I intend to pay this rotten, pile of flesh back tenfold of what it did to my precious body."

She licked her fingers seductively at the demon, trembling in ecstasy. A wide, twisted grin formed on Kaiden's face.

"Lets do this then!"

They jumped forward, the entire food court erupting in fire and flashes of light. Kaiden deflected its arm while Roka got around it. She started to chant whilst Kaiden blocked and dodged several blows from the monster.

Following Roka's chanting, her flames turned into chains and wrapped around the demon, binding its arm behind it and immobilising it.

"Now! Do the finishing blow!"

"Got it!"

Kaiden roared and jumped high into the air. His sword grew in size by feeding off the blood, and he brought it down with all the strength he could muster through the demon. A bright flash bathed the room in white light.

When it all finally died down, the demon was found collapsed on the ground, its body cut in half with a pool of blue blood growing around it

Kaiden fell to his knees and grew dizzy from the blood loss. Roka approached the body of the demon while panting. The corpse erupted in flames and was incinerated in an instant.

"W-What's that for if it's already dead?"

"It's...so...other demons can't feed off its corpse and...get stronger. Good job with...killing it."

"T-Thanks, though this is all your fault to begin with."

"Oh, you can punish me later when we talk in bed."

He looked at Roka half eyed, who was giggling. He then walked over to Brianna with unsteady footsteps.

"I never said anything about that, nor am I letting a strange girl like you into my bed."

Brianna's body started to glow when Kaiden approached her.

"H-Hey, why is she glowing?"

Roka furrowed her brows and walked over.

"Ah, looks like it's time. She's been here for a while to begin with."

"Wait, you don't mean she's getting erased, do you? Isn't there a way to stop it?"

The sleeping girl began to stir and mumble. She opened her eyes and looked up at Kaiden.

"Looks like I took a little nap, hehe. My time here is up, huh. Roka's right - I've been here long enough."

Brianna's body slowly started to fade away. She gave Kaiden a cocky smirk as he reached down and grabbed her hand.

"That doesn't cut it! We just met, isn't there-"

Brianna giggled softly. Her legs were completely gone, now. She reached over and caressed his cheek.

"When I come back, you better still be here, both of you. Oh, and Roka may seem annoying and untrustworthy, but she really does have a good heart."

"My, my. You flatter me, though there's not a single good thing about me."

Brianna closed her eyes and smiled brightly at the two, the glowing light making its way up to her waist.

"Promise me, Kaiden."

"...I-I'll be here, I promise."

Her voice carried away to the wind as the rest of her body faded away.

"I'll hold you both to it. I'll never forgive you if I don't see you two again."

Kaiden began to tremble once she was gone.

"What's all that for? She said she'll be back soon. Miss her that much?"

He clenched his fists tight in anger, then grabbing Roka by the collar.

"What do you mean? She was just erased, how could you be so cold to her!"

"Fufu, is that what you think? You can't erase someone who was still alive."

Kaiden let go of her collar in disbelief, his eyes opening widely.

"What?"

"To her, this was all a dream. She's a planeswalker, one of the few who travel to this realm in their sleep."

Kaiden lowered his head, his body shaking for several different reasons all mixed together.

"Angry?"

"You're damn right I am! You two tricked me! The one time I decide to have a heart and I'm played like a damn violin!"

Roka brought her hand up to cover her mouth, turning her head away.

"Not my fault you're so gullible. We just found it as a perfect opportunity to mess with you."

He was about to object to her words, but stopped when a gunshot resounded through the mall.

A massive crowd of people ran and shrieked past the invisible Kaiden and Roka as they directed their gaze to the location of it.

Sitting at one of the many tables, a man in a business suit was lying against a table, dead. A pool of blood seeped out from the gunhole on top of his head. He had committed suicide.

"W-What the-"

"I was wondering when that contractor would die. It's been so long after the contract was destroyed."

Kaiden's blood ran cold and directed his gaze towards Roka, his eyes narrowed as his body shook violently.

"This is one of the many things that happen to people when they make a Yuugare ontract with a demon. Their punishment is death. You kill the demon, you kill the contractor."

Kaiden sank to his knees and brought his attention back to the man. A cold sweat ran down his face. He started pounding the ground.

"WHAT THE HELL!!!"

He screamed at the top of his lungs before losing consciousness from blood loss.

Roka watched as the holes and rubble repaired themselves, as if time was rewinding around them. After a moment, all of the people faded away as the two realms separated once more.

"This is our job as the taboo breakers. This is one of the many secrets of the world."
Arcsol93

Post by Arcsol93 »

And chapter 5 is done! Though its not the end of the volume just yet, I still have about one or two chapters planned left, though it will be from a different persons perspective. Anyway hope you enjoy.
Spoiler! :
Yuugare contract chapter 5.

"No matter how I look at it, I just don't understand. Kaiden, just... who are you?"

Roka mumbled to herself, sitting on a bench at a park somewhere in the town. Kaiden was asleep with his head resting on her lap.

*Can I really use a person like this? It would be fine if it was just any old murderer but-*

She stared down at his face and ran her fingers through his hair. Her own face - for once, was devoid of a smile.

"For the first time since I've met him, I think I actually believe his claim. A person who has committed the taboo wouldn't break down like that. Not when you have experienced it before."

Her mind was flooded with various thoughts and mysteries. She then looked at her hand.

"I wonder how many years it's been since I could say the same? How many years have these hands been stained in blood?...Not that it matters, I suppose."

She observed the scenery around her. The entire environment looked like a typical setting of a cliche horror movie.

There was no grass, just the gravel and dust. There were no trees, just the dead, hallowed shells of what they used to be. And what was supposed to be a pond in front of them was instead a giant dust bowl, never to see water again.

"...You wanted to know why I am devoid of emotions, right? Truth is - I'm nothing but a monster; a girl whose emotions were stolen to be turned into a test subject. A killing machine devoid of happiness and the like. Just a beast filled with nothing but killing intent, anger and sadistic pleasure."

Caressing Kaiden's cheek, she fixated her eyes on him again.

"A girl who can no longer cry, grieve or show sadness. An emotionless freak... how does it feel to be happy? To cry? ...To love?"

Roka whispered the last part in a melancholic tone, running her hand through Kaiden's hair back and forth.

"You want to know why I always fake a smile? Why I have my eyes closed? It's because it's the only thing that helps me remember I'm still human. My eyes show what I really am. For if they ever opened, then even you wouldn't want to be near me."

"Want to try me?"

...!

Roka pulled her hands away from him as he opened his eyes. With a loud yawn, Kaiden gave her a wry smile.

"How much did you hear?"

"Mmm... everything up to when you called yourself a monster."

"So you deceived me and acted like you were sleeping."

Kaiden gave a cocky grin and sat up. Roka crossed her arms in response. She was clearly irritated.

"I know how to deal with people like you. I knew you wouldn't willingly tell me, so I took this opportunity."

"Maybe I should just erase you and be done with it..."

Kaiden laughed, scratching the back of his head.

"I wouldn't leave you. I'm not the type to abandon people. In the end, it just makes me want to know about you even more."

She just stared at him as he stood up and walked over to the empty bowl. He crouched and scooped up a handful of dirt.

"I'll help you get your emotions back, but in exchange you have to help me find a way back as well."

"Don't mock me, how do I know I can trust-"

"Because I have nothing to lose, and neither do you."

Roka stared long and hard at him, confused by the sudden offer.

*What's he playing at?...Hmm, but this might work for the plan... let's confirm this once and for all.*

"I'll tell you what..."

Her smile began to widen. The staff formed in her grasp and she grabbed the end of it. Drawing it out from the sheath, she revealed a hidden katana.

"If you manage to survive, you have yourself a deal."

Giggling as always, she shifted her mask over her face while giving her lips a lick. Kaiden could see a vivid purple color glowing from the eye slits.

Following suit, he bit his thumb and the blood swirled around in the air to form his greatsword.

"Can't show me your eyes, huh? We'll see after I cut that mask in half!"

Before he could even make a move, Roka was already in front of him. She lunged her sword straight for Kaiden's heart.

"W-Whoa!"

With a swift motion, he used the flat side of his blade to block it just in time. He forced his weight into it and deflected her blade, forcing Roka back.

"You're wide open! Take this!"

He swung his blade down at her, but before the blade hit its target, Roka vanished, causing him to stumble. Instead of inflicting a wound, a large cut appeared on his shoulder and the tip of his sword fell to the ground as it was cut clean through.

"What was that you said about cutting my mask off? Hmm?"

*Gah!! T-This is so unreal! This is what a murderer can do?...I won't lose so easily!*

Kaiden stabbed what was left of the blade into the ground. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath, using all of the focus he had to listen for any sound.

"You're finished!!"

She lunged at him from behind, this time aiming for his head.

"Don't screw with me!!!"

His eyes shot open and he reached for his sword, swinging it around and slamming the pommel against the back of her head while he narrowly dodged the sharp edge.

He pointed his blade down her, gripping his sword hard and scowling at Roka.

"Fight me seriously, dammit! It's insulting to have someone pull their punches!"

"...Fine then, don't say you didn't ask for it, Mr bedhead."

A dark aura began to glow around her. In an instant, a purple flame shot up at Kaiden. He jumped back, swiping away and dodging the flames. He gave a wicked grin as he saw the power he asked for.

Roka dragged her blade along the ground and walked towards him. The blade wrapped in flame along with her mask slits glowing a bright purple. The killing intent enveloped Kaiden, causing him to shudder.

"Now we're talking! Show me-"

Kaiden's eyes widened as he caught sight of her whipping blood across the ground. In a blink of an eye, numerous cuts opened up around his body. He fell to his knees as blood sprayed out everywhere. He bit his lip hard from the pain of the seared flesh on the wounds.

"I-I was waiting for you to do that, nice trick you have there."

He stabbed his blade into the ground to support his weight and forced himself up.

"But you'll have to do more than that before you think I will lose!"

Roka disappeared from sight once more, as did Kaiden this time around. Flashes of light and the sound of blades clashing filled the air.

"What's your angle? What do you really want Kaiden?"

Roka shouted, her blade biting deep into Kaiden's shoulder. Her dress was shredded and her body was cut up as well, but the wounds were not as serious compared to what Kaiden had.

"Ha! Really want to know? Tell you what, if you manage to kick my ass, I will."

"Easily...done!"

With a grunt, Roka swung her leg down on him, knocking him out of the air and into the ground.

She swung her blade down at Kaiden who was kneeling down, the flames intensifying. He once again blocked with the flat of his blade, but it began to slowly melt from the fire. The sheer heat scorched his eyebrows.

"...So you really want to know what I want, huh?"

He lifted his face and stared straight at her, blood streaming out of his mouth while his face twisted into something demented.

"I want to the erase the world."

For the first time since she came to existence, shivers ran down her spine as she stared into his dark, soulless eyes. She sensed something dark and disturbing hidden within.

*Just who is he? There's more to him than meets the eye.*

While Roka was wrapped up in his thoughts, a sly grin appeared on Kaiden's face.

"...Got you."

Throwing the sand that was in his hand at Roka, it doused the flames that surrounded the blade and her. He let his blade liquify for a moment, letting her blade slide through before solidifying half way.

"What?!"

"And that's the game!"

He kicked her legs out from below her. Releasing Roka's sword from his own, he grabbed hold of hers with his empty hand, stabbing them on both sides of her neck while he planted his knee firmly on her chest. Silence followed soon after.

"...You know, I never expected you to fight dirty. That was very cheap."

Kaiden laughed and gave a mischievous smile.

"It's only cheap if they didn't think of it first."

"So why don't you kill me then? You already won this."

"Two reasons- One would be I'm not a killer and I'd also never kill pretty girls. That and I don't have the strength to move anymore... okay, it's three reasons."

His hands slid away from the grips as he fell back to the ground, gritting his teeth from the dirt irritating the burns.

"...I'll help you."

"Come again?"

Roka pulled out the blades that was pointed dangerously close to her neck and tossed them to the side. She staggered up and walked over to Kaiden.

"I believe you when you say you're innocent. Even if someone murdered only once before, they wouldn't hesitate to kill again if their life was in danger. So I'll help...besides, we kind of share the same goal. I want the other side to experience this hell we're in."

Roka thought to herself as she kneeled down beside Kaiden.

*He is a poor liar for certain but I can make use of whatever is within him, so I'll help for the time being.*

Kaiden's face was covered in shadow as he contemplated what she said.

*Ok that was way too easy... I mean, what I said wasn't exactly a lie but... whatever. It's too much of a pain right now. I'll cross that bridge when it comes.*

Roka extended a hand out to him, pulling him up from the ground. She moved her mask to the side, her eyes closed with her face wearing the same fake smile.

"Seems like I have more to explain to you. But let's go back to the house, I'm filthy."

-----------------

"Basically, our job is to murder the contractors. In another sense, murder the murderers."

"Once again, you make zero sense. Can you try speaking in a way that isn't vague?"

Kaiden sighed and leaned by the door to the bathroom, the sound of running water came from it.

"Have you ever wondered why some people kill or suddenly snap for no apparent reason? Why some commit suicide out of the blue?"

Kaiden remained silent and lowered his head at the thought of it. Who hasn't, at least once?

"I'm not saying all of them do it, but some who kill themselves out of the blue probably formed a contract with a demon. Some mass murderers with no reason for doing so... well, then it's because the demon has already eaten away at their sanity. That's what they give in exchange for power, wealth or glory. It's our job to kill the demons before a mass murder happens."

"Wait, what? But who would want to -"

"Do that? You would be surprised what a person can do down on their luck. Even if it means forsaking others for their selfishness."

Kaiden gritted his teeth just thinking of it. This was one of the many secrets, and it wasn't a pretty one.

"Also, the murderers here are people who snapped on their own. Not every murderer has made a contract with a demon."

He remained silent, his knuckles turned white from clenching his fists hard.

It didn't matter to him how it happened. They stole a life, just like they stole someone important to him long ago. But that memory was pushed away as a question came to mind.

"...Hey Roka? If nothing that has life in it exists here, how in the hell are you taking a shower?"

Kaiden jumped as the bathroom door opened and Roka poked her head out.

"Sure you want to know? It will be the most mind blowing secret of them all."

" I-I don't..."

He trailed off and hesitated once he noticed her smile was gone again. He took a deep breath and steeled himself.

"...Yes, I want to know."

"You know how people get a utility bill for water and electricity and find a 'mistake' that it was overused? That would be us using it, we have amenities like this so we don't lose our sanity too quickly."

A large smile crossed Roka's face as Kaiden almost fell backwards down the stairs.

"What the hell, my bill is going to go through the roof! Gotta shut off the water..."

Roka shouted as he ran off through the house.

"Did you forget you're dead already? Shutting off the water from this side won't do anything, you know?"

"Bite me! I'll be back there in no time! And you'll be paying me the difference for that!"

Kaiden barked as he tore through the floorboards, frantically looking for the shut off.

Their days together were only just beginning. Some full of hardships, some that will test their resolve. How will they do in the end?

Return to “Creative works”