OLN : Fallen Hero? (Chapter 6 and Sketch added)

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Karisu
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari,
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei,
Mushoku Tensei,
No Game No Life,
etc.

OLN : Fallen Hero? (Chapter 6 and Sketch added)

Post by Karisu »

Frankly speaking, I'm a complete beginner at writing for real (I hope this really is for real)
I currently have three projects but the one I'm focusing mainly right now is the one here.
I will appreciate any comments and/or critics.
Also, feel free to correct my grammar mistakes. English is not my main language.

"The five of us were summoned to this world a year ago to be made as heroes.
After harsh training and battles we finally defeated the demon lord and granted the chance to get back to our homeworld.

It was the end, however it was also the beginning of the real thing for me... "

A bit of Chapter 1
Spoiler! :
CHAPTER 1 Bad End Route.

The blackish scarlet haired man, no, as two horns, one broken, are protruding from beneath his thick hair he must be of the highest level demon race, in fact he is the demon lord himself, his body clad in black armor swayed for a while then finally fell down. Blood filled the floor where his body fell.
“Brother, did... we do it?” My little brother, still holding his sword in a stance, Reza looked at me with a blank exhausted look, I hesitated but then I look at the fallen body and at everyone else, next to Reza is Mira, on the opposite side of us, behind the collapsed body are Surya and Bagus, everyone including me are covered in wounds.
“Yeah” I said weakly, however I couldn’t suppress the urge to smile. My exhausted body regained a bit of its strength as I raised my fist and I said “YEAH” this time with vigor.
Everyone then shouted in unison “We really did it !”
Surya dropped his bow and fell down on his bottom while letting a sigh of relief, Bagus couldn’t hold back his tears while sobbing softly, smiling..
Mira threw her wand and jumped onto Reza’s chest, hugging him while crying. Flustered, His arms in the air, Reza looked at her and then at me a few times with a reddened face.
I approached him, knocked his head lighly, and whispered,
“Just hug her back, idiot”
Although hesitant, he finally wrapped his arms on her and smiled gently.
Yep, I know the two of you just started going out before we raided the demon lord’s castle but there should be no reason to hold back right there my bro.
If there’s a mirror in front of me I think I will see an old man with a lax face as if he is looking at his grandchildren playing around happily in his backyard.... wait, what did I just think? Oh well...
I looked at the fallen body in black armor, the Demon Lord “Orcus”. Even though it took hours we finally defeated him.
The war between the humans and the demon race which has been raging for tens of years almost ended up with the human side losing, if not for the hero summoning a year ago.
Me, Reza, Mira, Surya, and Bagus were summoned from our clubroom one fateful evening and although reluctant at first we finally joined the war and managed to turn the tide of war due to our special status as otherworlder. If this was a game our stats will have some extra points by 100 on almost each stats even at level 1 which equal that of a level 50 of the average human of this world. And thanks to the harsh training and dungeon exploration, we surely have gotten far stronger compared to the first time we came here.
If somebody got a scouter maybe they will shout “Their power level is over 9.000 or something like that, not that I think it will really be over 9.000 though.
By the way there is really something we can use to see somebody’s stats in numbers although such artifact is considered a rare item even in this world, in fact some of the kingdom’s higher ups used that on us but they didn’t tell us the details of our stats other than saying that they are otherworldly. Well duh, we are from another world.
Still, the demon lord is even stronger. We could only reach him after the kingdom launched a full scale attack on one of the demon’s base in the frontline as a decoy while we, accompanied by several elite knights launched a sneak attack right into his castle when its defense is at the worst. With the sacrifice of the knights we finally got to face him in a fierce battle. Honestly, I felt like giving up several times in the fight myself.
“Shall we get back? It will be bad if this commotion reached the ones in other bases and they send reinforcements here. In our current condition I doubt we can take them on.”
Everyone nodded to my proposal and we began to move out. In our tattered condition we could only walk in a little quicker pace so it might take some time until we can get out of this castle. However when we got past a room I saw something just moved.
“Wait” I told everyone to stop and they look at me with question marks above their heads.
“I saw something”
“There’s still some demon left? Then we should run ! We can’t fight in our current state.” Surya looked as if he’s just seen a demon... well, we’re in a demon lord’s castle.
But true, everyone looked like they might collapse anytime.
“You’re right, but I don’t want to be chased from behind while we can only run at the speed of jogging at most like this. You guys wait here, my condition isn’t as bad as yours I’ll check it out. If something happens, just run ahead and I will follow after buying some time.”
Wait, what the heck am I saying? I don’t want to play a cool but stupid hero at a time like this...
“What are you saying big bro? We won’t leave you behind !” Reza shouted at me.
“Yes we won’t let you fight alone.” Mira added.
Surya hesitated but he nodded to their words. Bagus was just looking at me worriedly.
I knew they will say that, why did I even propose such a thing anyway?
However, when I see that Reza and Mira are holding hands I finally understood.
I see it’s not that I just want to play hero but,
“Nggghhh, Okay if something happens just back me up then. But, you guys wait here.”
Reza just nodded weakly to my words.
I looked around the room in caution and readied my trusty weapons, the pure white ’Azanthys’ on my right and the jet black ‘Mareritter’ on my left which basic form is close to a katar which is heavily modified with ornaments and side blades that reach the elbows..
The first thing that came to mind after looking at the interior was... ‘cute’, what a cutely decorated room this is. I think this is a kid’s room, a girl. I can’t imagine such a room to exist within a demon lord’s castle except if....
*Thud*
I heard something and I look toward the source, a wooden closet
I gulped my saliva and approached it slowly. It sounded like something just bumped onto the cabinet from the inside.
“Uuu”
A groan could be heard from the closet.
Okay, now I’m sure somebody is inside the closet and judging by the situation it would be...
I opened the closet slowly to find a girl about 10 years old, I looked at her elongated ears, blackish scarlet hair, and the horns albeit small protruding out from her head... don’t tell me.
Tears are flowing down her cheeks but she’s looking at me with sharp resolute eyes, the same eyes of the one we’ve just fought...
Great, this girl must be related to the demon lord, she might even be his daughter. Okay, what to do here…
If I leave her be she might become the next demon lord…
“Oi, did you find anything ? “ Surya peeked out from the door and called out to me.
The girl, now trembling, closed her eyes, crying soundlessly. Aww damn, you just need to touch my soft part you lass.
“No, nothing, sorry I guess it was just my imagination, let’s go.”
Letting out a soft “Eh?” the demon girl looked at me with a surprised expression.
I put a finger to my lips, signalling her to not let out a sound, ignoring her blank stare I closed the closet then ran outside the room.

One week later
The death of the demon lord has spread throughout the continent. With their morale reaching its peak the mankind army raced through the frontline to re-seize their once lost territory while the demons retreated and focused on defense.
However, the war isn’t over yet. The death of Demon Lord Orcus just brought it to a stalemate. I guess a nation can just appoint a new leader when one was lost. Apparently the reason mankind was able to push them back was also the dispute between their higher ups on the right to the throne.
To my surprise I don’t even heard any rumour of Orcus having an heir, so who was that girl I saw in the castle?
We are currently in a carriage returning to Rifsten the capital of Rifst kingdom, one of the largest 3 nations of mankind which is also the bastion of mankind due to its location that borders the demons territory. If we look at a map of the continent, the demons occupy a third of the continent at the western part while except for a small part at the middle eastern part that belongs to the elves, the rest is humans’. There are also islands nations north of the continent that belongs to the beastmen.
There are quite a number of humans’ nations, however the three largest are the Republic of Valis, Zagrant Empire which borders the Demons territory at the northern part of the continent, and Rifst which also borders the demons territory at the southern part of the continent.
Rifst was also the nation which summoned us, I still remember the day 1 year ago. Me, Surya, and Bagus were hanging out in our clubroom afterschool when Reza, my little brother, and Mira who is our childhood friend just came to pick me up. A magic circle suddenly appeared on the floor and we were enveloped in bright light. When we came to we were in a big hall, the summoning hall, and were surrounded by the kingdom’s best mages.
Ah, nevermind that, now we can ask the king to return us to our world. What we promised to help wasn’t to bring victory in this war, but to defeat the demon lord and we have finally fulfilled our share. Now it’s time to go home.
Our carriage passed through the capital welcomed with cheers from the townsfolk, there are many people whom we have come to know calling us by our names while shouting things like
“You did it, as expected of the heroes. Please continue to protect our country.”
“I’ve asked this before, but won’t you really consider marrying to our family?”
“I hope you will still be my customer from now on”
“I want to be big bro’s bride !”
And so on.
Sorry folks, but we’re going home.

“I am very sorry, however our kingdom does not have the means to send you back to your home world.”
Is what the King just said to us in the audience hall.
“Say what?” I shouted reflexively.
“The ancient magic used to summon you was a one way portal, thus we cannot use it to send anything from this side.”
Surya just double facepalmed himself with a loud slap sound while Bagus is muttering things in a language I don’t understand.
“Please wait a minute your majesty, the promise is that you will send us back to our world once we have defeated the demon lord.” Reza, drenched in cold sweat protested while Mira was just holding his hand, looking at her own feet blankly.
“Yes, that is our promise, however it seems our kingdom would not be able to fulfill the promise by ourselves.”
“Are you kidding me ?” Reza is agitated as could be heard from his tone.
This is shit. So we were deceived? This kingdom doesn’t have any means to send us back home since the very beginning?
Wait… ‘this kingdom’… ‘by ourselves’…
I looked at the King and he returned my gaze with a grin.
You Itsuki…
I laughed and Reza cs. looked at me, confused.
The King also laughed and said.
“I’m sorry, I just wanted to see your reaction. True, we don’t have any means to send you all back but that doesn’t mean that a way to send you back is nonexistent.”
““““Eh?””””
“There is a place in Zagrant Empire that was said to be the closest place in this world to dimensional rift. The Empire had also sent a formal invitation to you heroes. Their side will arrange everything from taking you there and use their imperial secret magic repertoire to help send you back home. The preparation will be finished around 3 or 4 days from now and the place is located about 3 days from here by carriage so you may depart tomorrow if you wish. How is it?”
The heroes group other than me just stared at the King, dumbfounded, then they breathed out sigh of relief.
“You really got us there your majesty.”
“As expected, you were the first to realize it eh? How’s it, would you like to stay and join the knights? I’ll even arrange your own squad.” The king answered me calmly.
Reza looked at me, I’m sure he’s thinking ‘No, don’t!’ or ‘If you’re going to stay then I will too!’
Well, don’t worry I do want to go back too my bro.
“I am sorry your majesty, but going back to our world was our goal since the very beginning. We only agreed to help because you promised to send us back if we helped.” The way I said it sounded like if the King forced us to fight… Wait, half of it was true, we truly felt like helping them only after we have seen the condition of the people in the frontlines.
The King sighed and said “I see, it can’t be helped then…”
I just shrugged, and at that moment I saw someone who was looking at me with a rather sad expression. I chose to ignore her for now though so I averted my gaze.

“Erik!”
Someone called my name while I was on the way to my room. I looked back to the source of the voice, a girl the same age as mine, 16 years old. She’s wearing a gorgeous blue and white colored dress with some yellow on the hems. She is the first princess of Rifst, Lavinia Vie Rifst.
I suddenly felt some warm gazes from the others behind me.
“Ah, I’m so tired. I’m going back to my room and get some sleep.” Reza just spoke in an exaggerated manner and walk away.
“Good idea, I’m beat…” Mira follows.
Bagus dragged the clueless Surya away while giving me a sympathetic gaze.
“Your highness princess Lavinia, how are you feeling today?” I greeted her with a one year practiced gesture, right hand on the chest, left leg a step to the back, and a slight bow. Hmm, perfect if I may say so myself.
“Why did you ignore me?”
“…” I didn’t answer.
“And didn’t I tell you to stop with the formalities when it’s just you and me.”
“…” I didn’t answer.
“You’re… not going to stay?”
I sighed
Okay, I’m not being over confident or anything here but, she, the princess is in love with me. In fact she told me before I go to raid the demon lord’s castle. It’s just… I didn’t answer her feelings, or more like I couldn’t.
“Yeah” I answered weakly.
“No matter what ?”
“Yeah, we have families on the other side and if I don’t go back, then I’m sure Reza and Mira will also choose to stay. I also don’t know what that li’l brother of mine will do on the other side if I just sneak away during the transfer process. He might never forgive me if that were to happen. Also…”
The next sentence won’t come out. It’s something I couldn’t accept myself.
“It’s hard to move on?”
“So you know eh?” I smiled wryly.
“You were always looking at a certain someone the same way I look at you from the distance.” Lavinia asserted.
“Can’t I have the chance to wait until you are ready to move on?” She added.
I scratched my head.
“Listen o’ young lady, there are also times when a men’s heart get so delicate to the point where it will take forever until he can understand himself.” It might be pointless to wait is what I wanted to say, but as expected I couldn’t just say it like that
“And you shouldn’t underestimate a maiden’s heart either, it can be so tough that a small drop of feelings can last forever you know.”
Ugh, she returned that well…
True, I can’t even bury this feeling of mine which has grown for more than three years even after I found out that it is unrequited. And, Lavinia is a really beautiful girl. It might be stupid of me to hold on to my unrequited yearning any longer but…
Heh, I’m stupid aren’t I?
“Yeah, I think with time I might be able to come to answer your feelings with mine. However, I don’t know how long it will take and I, no, we also want to return to our previous life. Frankly speaking, we are tired of all this fighting. We were just some ordinary students with ordinary families and ordinary dreams like simply becoming a civil servant while leading an ordinarily happy life.” Ugh, maybe I added too much ‘ordinary’ there, the back of my neck is itchy…
Lavinia casts her gaze downwards.
If this was a novel or TV drama she might say “Then take me along to your world” but Lavinia is a smart and responsible girl. She knows that she is the first princess of this kingdom with her own rights and obligations and that she can’t be selfish, she is such a girl, no, a princess.
She finally raised her face and smiled at me.
“Do you remember when we first talked to each other?”
“Yeah, it was the 7th day after the summoning. You suddenly approached me while I was resting alone in the palace garden after training. You even told your maids to leave us together. I was so nervous at that time you know.”
“I, I was nervous as well, I couldn’t say anything other than ‘how was the training sir Erik?’ even you only answered ‘It went smoothly your highness.’”
“And after that we only stood there in silence for minutes.” I added.
“If only you didn’t crack a joke right there we might even continue to stand there doing nothing all day.”
“I couldn’t help it, it was kind of a reflexive action, I thought I was going to get a death penalty because you just kept standing there while glaring at me, you didn’t even giggle.”
“That was… the very moment when I first realized that… nevermind. But you know, you were the only one to tell me jokes, there were also some unfunny ones though.”
“Ahaha… hah… Now I feel embarrassed.”
“And, the more we talked to each other, the more my feelings grow as well. It was… fulfilling for me. Too bad it was one sided.”
Tears begun to fill her eyes and that struck me in the chest. It hurts me to see her cry. I don’t know if I have the right to say this but, she’s my closest friend in this world.
“Lavinia…”
“Erik, I want you to have this.”
Before I could say anything else Lavinia approached me and handed me a pendant, adorned with an almost transparent azure gemstone ornamented with silver carvings. Wait, this is one of Rifst royal treasure, the amulet of Praesia.
“H, hey, is it okay to give me something like this? Didn’t you say this was the only thing you’ll never let go?” I faltered.
“Please accept it, I’ve held onto this for ever since I was little. It might be a little selfish of me but I hope with this you will always remember me.” She said as she wiped her tears.
“I won’t be able to forget you no matter how hard I try even without this you know.”
“Are you saying that you will try to forget me?”
“Who knows...”
“Then I will give you something else to make sure you won’t forget me.”
“Eh?”
Lavinia approached me even closer, leans forward and...
“Wha, eh, what?”
A kiss, she kissed me... on the cheek though.
“Hmm, do you want it on the lips?” She asked me while blushing, well I must be blushing furiously as well now.
We only stood there while averting our gazes until Lavinia broke the silence.
“It’s a goodbye then. I don’t think I can send you off tomorrow. I don’t want you to see me cry anymore.” She smiled apologetically then turned around.
“Bye, Erik.” She said as she walked away.
I know she was crying from her trembling shoulders so I didn’t say anything else, not even a goodbye.

(Link to my work at booksie for full and easier reading since the one in spoiler lost most spacing after I pasted it)

https://www.booksie.com/content/karisu/ ... /version/1

:!: You have tried to access a web page which is in violation of your internet usage policy. :!:

Return to “Creative works”