Full Metal Panic - Abyss

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Full Metal Panic - Abyss

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Abyss

Author - Kanshu

FanFiction.net Source

Warnings - Language and violence...

Synopsis:
"The design and execution of the trap had been flawless. It should have been safe. Or so Sagara Sousuke thought until it exploded in Kaname's face."

Part 1
Spoiler! :
Sergeant Sagara Sousuke sat huddled in a corner of a hospital waiting room, his usually vigilant eyes screwed shut in the vain attempt to keep away the images that haunted him. No matter how much he wracked his brain, how often he replayed every move, the design and execution of the trap had been flawless. 'It should have been safe.'

The device had been a simple trap he had rigged up to keep terrorists from tampering with the costume Chidori Kaname was to wear for a stage play. 'Those things are fool-proof. They don't explode. It wasn't supposed to explode!' It should have been safe. He was a professional, after all. 'Then, what went wrong? Did I miss something?'

Of course, Chidori had told him more than once that setting up traps was too dangerous and unacceptable, but he had calmly explained they were meant to improve her security. ‘There is always a small risk involved, but compared to the advantage of disabling the enemy…’

Only there was no enemy, no terrorists, and no war. The only one posing a threat in this ordinary Japanese High School was the professional mercenary sent to protect a precious Whispered. ‘There was no imminent threat. I had no reason to set up a trap in the first place.'

Sousuke drew a shuddering breath. When the device blew off right in Kaname’s face, he still had foolishly thought that everything would turn out okay. 'I made a mistake.’

For a moment, it had been absolutely quiet in the room. Kaname had just stood there, motionless, and he could see her shoulders squaring. Sousuke knew her well enough to know that he was in for trouble with a capital T, considering that the date of the play was close and the costume had been ruined. So he had waited for her to execute punishment with the paper fan she usually wielded like a weapon. But the punishment never came.

He still remembered vividly how she had slowly turned around, a look of utter surprise on her ghostly pale face. It was then that he noticed the remains of the metal coat hanger that had penetrated her neck directly above her left collar bone. Blood gushed out of the wound steadily, rapidly drenching her school uniform crimson. The surprised expression turned to one of realization and then the unabashed anger in her eyes burned through him with the destructive force of a nuclear explosion.

“Sousuke!”

It had been nothing but a soft hiss. Suddenly, her eyes had rolled back and she slumped to the floor boneless. His professional experience told him that the injury was grave, possibly lethal - judging by the color and amount of blood she was losing, an artery was nicked.

Blood. He stared at the dried blood on his hands, Kaname's blood. She had lost so much blood - 'Even if she survives, there's a high probability for brain damage.' He was a professional, supposed to stay cool and aloft. But Sousuke was only too aware of the complete and thorough hopelessness that overwhelmed him. Slight tremors ran through his body, fear choked him – in one word, he was in a mess. 'How can I protect you when I'm like this, Kaname?’

He recalled checking for a pulse and finding none, remembered the warmth of her blood on his face and hands when he had desperately fought for her life. He had breathed oxygen into her lungs until his head was ready to explode, hardly noticing the cracking noise when he had broken ribs to make her heart beating again. Through the dizzy haze in his brain he could hear someone screaming for an ambulance. He remembered the cold panic that had consumed him, and the stray thought that he would later on have to apologize to Chidori for taking her lips without permission. She would be mad, of course, and maybe he would end up being beaten into a bloody pulp, but she would forgive him, right?

'Kaname will survive. Everything will be all right.'

He repeated the thought over and over, like a mantra, clung to it in the desperate attempt to escape the inevitable truth. In retrospective, it was both laughable and embarrassing. Only an amateur would deny the facts and stick to childish hopes and wishes that had no chance of coming true. ‘Commander Kalinin will be furious if Kaname dies.’

After what seemed like a lifetime, the paramedics arrived, prying him away from her. Sousuke had watched them working on Kaname, recognized the practiced moves of professionals at work, detached and efficient.

‘When did I become so attached to her that it interfered with my efficiency?’

He almost lost her twice on the way to the hospital, but they brought her back just in time.

‘My responsibility.’

Then she was hurried out of his sight, into surgery. The nurses had ushered him to the waiting room when he had tried to follow, making it clear that any interference on his part would endanger the patient. It took him a while to get the bout of irrationality under control, pacing up and down in the assigned area like an animal in a cage. Dutiful, he had informed the Commander about what happened. He sat through a serious scolding by Miss Kagurazaka and answered endless questions by the police. Only too soon there was no more activity with which he could distract himself. There was no way to stop himself from thinking.

‘My fault.’

Time scattered to a halt when there was nothing left to do but wait. Wait for Kaname to pull through or the abyss to swallow him.

‘Please, don’t die.’

Whatever came first.
Part 2
Spoiler! :
The sharp smell of disinfectants assaulted his olfactory sense, stirring unpleasant memories of too many weeks spent in hospital beds with painful injuries. Sergeant Kurz Weber suppressed a sigh, shouldered his duffel bag and looked for the information desk.

He had made it to Tokyo in record time, arrived in just under three hours after the incident that had almost cost Kaname's life. Of course, the fact that the de Daanan was comparatively close to Japan had helped considerably.

Kurz had almost reached the waiting room, but hesitated. He wasn't sure what to expect after reading the report. The thing that bothered him most about the report were the key words Sousuke had used to describe the situation. And Commander Kalinin was bothered as well, or he wouldn't sent him to 'assess the situation'. Kalinin had been very precise - 'You are authorised to retrieve Sergeant Sagara from his current mission if you think the situation is unstable.' - and Kurz would go through with it should there be any 'instabilities'.

Mao, of course, had joked that the Commander was just afraid that Kaname would chop Sousuke's head off this time and he would have to break in a new guinea pig for the Arbalest. But even through her banter, Kurz could tell that she was worried about their youngest team member. 'Keep an eye on him. If Kaname dies because of that device...' Melissa had never finished her sentence, but he had understood nevertheless. Kurz aquired a cup of coffee from one of the vending machines, reached for the waiting room's door handle and pushed it down.

-----------------------------------------------------------

'Why does this take so long?' Sagara Sousuke frowned. 'I should have stayed with her.'

It was fourteen minutes past eight. They had begun the operation shortly after five, and no word about her condition yet. It didn't take that long to repair a torn blood vessel, did it? 'Maybe there are complications?'

Maybe Kaname was dead.

'No.'

He scuttled away from the thought frantically. 'She's strong. She will survive. Only if I see her dead body...' The image sent a shiver through him and his throat constricted painfully. Kaname's death was a possible outcome of this scenario. Actually, it was very likely that she wouldn't survive. Bloodstains on his hands. Kaname's blood. 'She can't be dead. There has to be a different reason...'

But what other reason could there be? The injury was no fake, after all. What if the enemy took advantage of the situation and abducted Kaname now that she was vulnerable? 'Maybe they tampered with my trap. It would all make sense then.'

His hands clenched to fists. 'Maybe the enemy wants to make sure this time that everyone thinks Kaname is dead so that they can use her for experiments?' The enemy would not fool him. 'I will look for you no matter what lies they will tell me.'

And what about the others who were waiting with him? Miss Kagurazaka, their teacher, looked very upset. She had called Kaname's father not too long ago. Would Mr. Chidori come to see his daughter? And what would happen then?

Kyouto, Kaname's best friend. She was pale and her worry for her friend was obvious, as well as the hostile attitude against him. Not that Sousuke blamed her for it. Had roles be reversed... he wasn't sure what he would do to whoever injured Kaname, but it would not be nice. He briefly wondered how this incident would influence his relationship to his classmates, but decided that he could live with whatever they would dish him. 'It's not like I was really a part of the class, to begin with.' He had only tried to fit in for Kaname's sake, anyway. Mithril had sent him as a bodyguard, to protect her with his life. ‘

Sousuke glanced at his watch, but only three minutes had passed since he had last checked the time. 'There's nothing I can do. I have to be patient.' Patience was a virtue for a professional mercenary, even though by now he was ready to claw into a nurse or doctor bare handed to get information about Kaname's well-being.

The bloodstains on his hands throbbed and pulsed, as if to mock him for his inability to keep her from harm. 'But I assembled the trap just like always. I made no mistake.'

Nonsense. The shouted warning had been too late. He had not paid proper attention. ‘I should have disabled the trap before Kaname entered the room.’

Though, if the trap had worked properly, she only would only have received an electric shock. Prior experiences had taught him to keep the more effective equipment out of range of meddling classmates. ‘It was never meant to explode.’

Which left, once again, only one option: enemy interference - and that meant that he had thoroughly failed his mission. Sousuke sighed. No matter how he looked at it, the outcome was the same. Kaname's life was at stake and it was his fault. He didn't like the feeling at all.

Five more minutes. He would give the doctors five more minutes, and then he would make sure that Kaname was doing okay.

When Kurz Weber opened the door to the crowded waiting room, it took him only a few seconds to spot his comrade in arms. Sousuke had occupied one of the corners of the room, which was what Kurz had expected from his always strategic thinking team mate. The unusual thing was that he was given a wide berth by everyone else - no, Kurz corrected himself. Considering that Sousuke looked like he came out of a successful armed assault, dried blood on his face, hands and school uniform, normal people taking their distance was probably not that unusual. Kurz came carefully closer. "Sousuke?"

"U-urzu 6," his team mate acknowledged, deep distress only hidden by a shattering mask of indifference, with haunted eyes that had seen too much gore and death in a short lifetime. "Mission failed... Could not… protect her."

Kurz blinked. “Sousuke, are you okay?”

It was a stupid question, he knew. Even an idiot could see that Sousuke wasn’t okay.

“Affirmative. I…” There was a brief pause as Sousuke stared at his hands, as if the darkening patterns would reveal a solution to his dilemma. “’I’m fine.”

“You weren’t injured?” Kurz asked.

“No.” Sousuke seemed to mull over the question a second, then looked Kurz straight in the eye. “I wasn’t fast enough.”

‘Translation: It should have been me.’ Kurz thought. At least, Sousuke functioned. That was the good part. The bad part was that the kid was going down the same path like after the Helmajistan-disaster or the ill-fated fight against Gauron. Melissa had been hurt in the latter, and Sousuke had buried all of his team in the rock desert of Helmajistan. “Any news on Kaname?”

“She’s still in surgery.”

More silence, and it grated his nerves more than he cared to admit. “Maybe no news is good news.”

“Yeah, maybe.”

It sounded hollow, hopeless. 'Shit.'The situationwas worse than he had expected. Kurz sighed, wondering what to do. He should get Sousuke out of the waiting room. Fast. Even if it was just for a few minutes. “You’re scaring the locals.”

“Huh?”

“Get cleaned up, idiot.”

Sousuke looked down at his school uniform. “It’s ruined.”

"Take my spare shirt." Kurz reached for his duffel bag and forced a smile. “Ruin that, and you're dead."

Troubled brown eyes closed briefly, then, as if he had come to a resolution, Sousuke visibly straightened. "Thank you."

His bloodied uniform jacket and shirt were safely tucked away in a plastic bag that one of the nurses had supplied. Kurz's shirt was two sizes to big and Sousuke had to roll up the sleeves to reveal his hands, but he didn't care. He checked his reflection in the restroom mirror once more, glad that water and soap had removed most of the stains.

For a frightening, panicky moment, when he had frantically scrubbed his hands, he had thought that the blood would never come off. It were silly fears, of course. The blood had always come off, no matter how many people he had killed, no matter who he had slaughtered. Even if that person was Kaname, who he had sworn to protect.

Sousuke stared at the mirror, and his reflection stared back. Accusation, failure, worry. All of those feelings were plain visible, and maybe that was what shocked him most. 'How can I call myself a professional if I can't get a grip on myself?'

Had the others seen how vulnerable he was? And Kurz was here. Sousuke wasn't quite sure what to make of his team mate's sudden appearance. Commander Kalinin's message had only said that Urzu 6 would arrive for back-up, but Sousuke had not expected Kurz to arrive within such a short time. Did that mean that there had been an outside threat, indeed? 'No. They would've told me.'

His reflection looked as puzzled as he felt, until a sickening thought got hold in his mind. 'Damage control.'

Kaname's father would want to see him punished, the police and possibly a criminal charge waited around the corner, and he was sure he had depleted whatever tolerance threshold Miss Kazaguraka or his class mates possessed. Was that why Kurz was here? Making sure that Seargent Clueless didn't cause more problems?

'Damn it.' Sousuke glared at his mirror image. 'I...'

His mental ramblings were cut short when the door opened and Kurz poked his head into the hospital restroom. "Yo, Sousuke. You better come."

Floating. It was a nice feeling, that floating sensation. She floated through a world without substance and sound. Dark and warm, and without any worries. She clung to the sensation. Peaceful, it was so peaceful. She wished she could stay forever in this world without fears and pains.

Fragments of sound shattered the silence, a mismatch of tones that grated her ears. She shivered slightly when the warmth was ripped away from her, and she gradually became aware that the cacophony of noises had a meaning. Voices. How dare they disrupting the peaceful silence? Words. The words lured her out of the protective darkness. She recognised the voice. 'Trust me,' it whispered. 'I'm here to protect you.'

Lies. I trusted you. See what it got me? Go away.

Light. A face. Handsome in its own way, that face, yes. Eyes that had seen death, now full of concern and still brimming with happiness. That idiot. Go away. Stay away from me, you hear? Troublemaker. Sousuke, get lost. I'm so tired. Just go away already.

The darkness beckoned her, tempted and teased. Ensnared, she followed its sweet reassurance, plunging into the depth of an endless abyss until falling became floating. She smiled. It was pleasent. It was dark and warm. It was peaceful. Yes.

'Everything will be okay. Kaname will survive. The operation went fine.'

The words formed an eerily happy singsong in Sousuke's head while he looked at Kaname's sleeping form. Her complexion was still too pale, two drips fed life into her and her chest was wrapped in bandages. Soft and steady, her chest rose and fell in the rythm of her breathing, her heart beat registering as a jagged curve on the monitor next to her bed. He soaked in the details, allowed himself to succumb to a fleeting moment of self-delusion.

"Please live, Chidori," Sousuke said quietly, quenching his out-of-place happiness with the ease of an M9 crunching a dung beetle. Even with the operation being a success, Kaname's survival chances were moderate at best due to the blood loss.

Suddenly, her eye lids fluttered and the pulse rate on the monitor shot up to an alarming rate. Kaname moaned something he couldn't understand, then murmured: "Sousuke... get... lost."

A direct hit with an armor-piercing bullet couldn't have been more effective. Sousuke took in a sharp breath, reeling back from words that... mattered. The next thing he knew was that Kurz dragged him back to the corridor to make way for the medical staff, and a nurse that told them to stay away until the patient was doing better.

"Okay, let's see what we got so far. You said that you used just a simple trap?" Kurz Weber yawned and took a sip from the coffee mug Sousuke had placed in front of him. The two of them had spent the last twenty-eight hours trying to cover up for the mess at Jindai Highschool and looking for answers. On top of it, Kurz had had a quite unsettling conversation with Commander Kalinin.

Not to mention that Sousuke had spaced out more than a few times lately, probably worrying himself silly about Kaname. Like now, for example. His team mate stared at the table with a forlorn expression. Kurz sighed. "Sousuke."

"Huh?" The younger man's eyes focussed. "Sorry, Kurz."

"The trap."

"Oh." Sousuke jumped to his feet and rummaged through a box in his closet until he found what he was looking for. He placed a small device on the table and piled up various wires next to it.

Kurz eyed the small, growing pile doubtfully. “You call this a simple trap?”

“DRX-750. Nothing fancy. It’s easy to assemble and maintain,” Sousuke explained.

“According to the sweeper team’s report, the batteries of the device overheated due to false wiring, and that lead to the explosion.” Kurz stopped reading and frowned. “False wiring? Making such a mistake doesn’t sound like you, Sousuke.”

“Affirmative. I’m intimately familiar with the assembly of that particular design because I use it regularly to protect personal equipment. Maybe someone tempered with it?”

“Possible. Let’s have a closer look at the specifications,” Kurz fished for the appendix pages of the report, picked the blown up device’s wiring map and studied it closely. “C-2-blue, C-1-black.”

Sousuke shook his head. “I know for sure that I connected them to their usual slots, because they go in last. C-2-blue connects slots 43 and 57, C-1-black slots 12 and 15.”

Kurz stared at the sheet for a few seconds, then swallowed hard. “That’s not what it says here.”

“Did they refer to the regular instruction manual?”

“Yes.” Kurz shoved the wiring map into Sousuke’s face. “You wired it wrong.”

“No. I already told you that I can assemble it properly.” Sousuke’s fingers slid down a row of numbers as he checked through item numbers and technical data. “I made certain modifications to the device to improve performance, but it’s all well within acceptable safety margins. As a professional…”

The young Mithril soldier never finished the sentence. Little beads of sweat trickled down his paling face as he stared wide eyed at the document in his clenched hands. “But… Could it be possible?”

“Huh?” Kurz didn’t like his team mate’s darkening expression one bit.

“Apparently they sent me the latest version of the DRX-750.”

“Meaning…?”

“The layout is the same as with the old DRX-750, but they changed suppliers for most of the components. And if these new components couldn’t handle the extra power…”

“The device blows up. But… You checked the manual before building that thing, right?”

Silence.

“Tell me, damn it.”

“I made a mistake.”

“Mistake, my ass!” Kurz snapped. “You idiot!”

Sousuke looked as if he would be violently sick any moment. The crumpled manual sheet slid out of his hand, but he didn’t seem to notice. “I hurt her.”
Last edited by TheGiftedMonkey on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Part 3
Spoiler! :
Sousuke listlessly shoved food into his mouth. Not that he was really hungry, but there was no say when he would get his next meal. Food was precious and not to be wasted, a lesson learned and paid dearly for many years ago. The knowledge didn’t really help to fight off the sick feeling that dissolved his innards ever since Kurz had dropped the bombshell about the DRX-750.

But the trap was only part of the problem. The past three days at school had been hell, and Sousuke wondered if he’d made it through the week at this rate. He had been allowed to return to classes when the police investigation had spoken of an accident with no outside interference. However, his classmates hadn’t bought the false data the sweeper team had planted. No, his classmates had kept their distance. Maybe it was because they saw the guilt on his face, and the shades of blood that were still there no matter what Kurz said.

/The blood that will never come off./

Shoji ignored him. Kyouku sent him glares that could’ve turned him into cinders, and the others cut him off like they had done in the very beginning. Maybe it was because they knew him and his habits too well by now.

The sudden distance and rejection had stung. /It shouldn’t matter/ he told himself. /This is a job, nothing else./ Sure, he had worked hard to fit in. And truth to be told, he had relaxed entirely too much in classes when he had finally decided that his classmates were not the enemy. /But that was before I hurt Kaname./

Kaname’s father had arrived from New York. Mithril intelligence said that he would stay for another week, and Sousuke had overheard how Kyouko had told that he was very worried about his daughter. She had also said that Kaname was in a lot of pain, and that the painkillers made her sleep most of the time. /It’s to be expected with broken ribs./

“Why don’t you go and visit her?”

Kurz’s voice made him shriek. /Damn./ He had drifted off for the umpteeth time. This was no good. /Useless./ Being distracted and unable to concentrate, he was a burden rather than an asset. “I don’t think so.”

Kurz looked at him with an understanding in his eyes that made Sousuke want to punch his face. “Aw, c’mon. Just because she kicked you out after the operation?”

Sousuke didn’t reply. He hated it when Kurz read him like a book. /Or is it so obvious/ Emotions were not good for a soldier to begin with, and emotions that gave the enemy an advantage were lethal. /I’m pathetic. This is just another assignment that went wrong./ Yes, he should move on. Close the book and continue with the mission. Just pretend nothing happened. “You’re right. I will visit Chidori tomorrow after school.”

“That’s the spirit,” Kurz smiled and slapped him on the shoulder cheerfully.

/Tomorrow, then./ Sousuke half-heartedly vanquished another spoonful of his meal, but his stomach protested with a sharp cramp. It was next to a miracle that he made it for the toilet in time before retching his guts out.

Thin rays of moonlight cut into the room, casting it in a pale light. Only the muffled sounds of distant traffic could be heard, and the night wind swept away the scent of the old day. Cool and pleasant, the breeze caressed Kurz’s skin as he stood by the open apartment window, listening intensely to the restless tossing of his team mate. /Sousuke, what am I going to do with you? If you don’t snap out of this, soon…/ Commander Kalinin had not been pleased to learn that the explosion was caused by negligence. He also had not reacted well to the part of Sousuke’s report where Kaname kicked him out, but since Kurz insisted that it had been the anaesthetics talking, he at least had not given the order to leave immediately. And the kid didn’t even know half of it, did not know about the mission that Kurz had reluctantly accepted.

It was way past midnight when Kurz was sure that Sousuke was sound asleep. /It’s time for the report, soon./ Kurz dreaded the report, since it meant he would have to stall again, bend the truth and make up yet another excuse why he hadn’t pulled Sousuke from this mission yet. It just wasn’t fair. Dumping the empty can of soda into the trash, he pulled out his cell phone, dialled and soon was rewarded by Kalinin’s voice.

Kaname fought through a haze of dizziness and darkness. Gradually, she became aware of her surroundings. Her sluggish brain needed a while to sort out the information her senses delivered.

"Hos...pital?"

She didn't reconize her own voice in the rough croak that escaped her mouth, but she was too tired to worry about it.

"Kaname?"

"Daddy?" Her father was here. /But Dad is in New York./ With an effort, she pried her eyes open and focussed on the figure next to her. /Yup, that's dad, all right./

"Yes, Kaname. I'm here. Don't worry, everything will be okay."

Her father gave her one of his rare smiles, but that only added to her confusion. She tried to sit up, fighting another wave of nausea that washed over her. Unfortunately, her body had different plans and refused to lift her back more than a centimetre from the pillow before a sharp pain forced her down. /What... This... Pain/ Fear crept up her spine and paralysed her mind. /It hurts./ Her chest was stabbed by a thousand knives, and someone had a lot of fun prodding in the wounds. /What happened to me? Daddy... make it go away. Make the pain go away.../

"The painkiller will work soon," a stranger's voice said, and then the darkness swallowed Kaname again.

“But, Sir!”

Kurz’s protest jerked Sousuke from his slumber. Adrenaline flooded his system and droned out any grogginess, preparing his body for whatever evil threatened him. But there were no signs of a fight, no muffled sounds of a body being hit or the characteristic noises of weapons in use. It was entirely too peaceful to match Sousuke’s racing heart and the tension in his muscles. Instinct and experience, however, warned him not to slack off, and he obeyed without thinking twice, listening to Kurz’s short

“Yes, Sir.”

No sign of danger, though there clearly was tension in that voice. And still no reply of Kurz’s communication partner, at lest not one Sousuke could hear. Who was his team mate talking to?

“Yes, Sir. Will you tell him?”

Realization came quickly and Sousuke could’ve slapped himself for not thinking of it earlier. /Stupid./ The one-sided conversation meant that Kurz was on the phone, and, by the sound of it, had contacted one of their superiors on the de Daanan. /Damage control/ a tiny voice whispered. /They don’t trust you any longer./ Sousuke did not like that something was going on behind his back, and he even less liked the blatantly obvious fact that Kurz was involved in whatever they had planned. /Where do you stand, Kurz/ Swiftly, Sousuke trained his gun on where he could hear the voice of his team mate, ready to shoot if necessary.

“Urzu 7? Well…”

Hesitation. Weber wouldn’t say what was on his mind. /Good./ Kurz holding back meant not all was lost.

“No, I don’t think that sending him on another mission would be good right now…”

Sousuke growled. /Traitor./ Of course, Kurz was correct, and just tried to protect him and others from harm, but still it felt like a stab in the back.

“Please, all I’m asking for are a few more days. If…”

There was a long silence, then a dejected sounding, “Understood, Sir. Urzu 6 over and out.”

Sousuke swallowed. The superior – Commander Kalinin, most likely – would take no chances. Another mission. /I hurt her./ How long would he have before the orders arrived/I have to apologize. I can’t just leave like that./

Kaname hated being in pain, and she hated this sorry excuse for a miso soup that was her dinner. She hated the nurses with their encouraging smile, and she hated how her dad treated her as if she was made of china. In short, Kaname hated being in hospitals. Period.

At least, she was feeling better than before. Relatively speaking, at least. The pain that her fractured ribs sent through her chest with every breath was dulled enough by the painkillers she had to take to keep her from screaming. But it was more than sufficient to make her feel uncomfortable. Then there was that stab wound above her collar bone. It hurt as well, but not as much as the ribs. The doctor had told her that the stab wound had almost killed her, and that she had to be reanimated. He had also said that they would have to watch her heart for a while and test her memory to see if there was any damage from the experience.

/Well, I don't remember what happened, that much's for certain. The police officer who was here earlier today said it was some sort of freak accident, but... / Wistfully, she took another spoonful of her soup. /Apart from that, everything else seems to be okay./

In any case, whoever was responsible for putting her into hospital would suffer a horrible fate. /That's a promise./

On the bright side of things, her father had gone out of his way and visited her. /He really ditched his all-important work and came to see me./ The two of them weren't always on best speaking terms, even though she recalled that things had improved slightly over the past year or so. Maybe now was the time to talk thinks out and get a few answers.

Kaname sighed. /Maybe later./ She felt much too groggy to plunge into the abyss of human relationships. Right now, all she wanted was some peace and quiet, and for that annoying pain in her chest to stop.

"What's eating you?" Kurz shot Sousuke a worried look. His team mate had acted quite suspiciously - and that was 'suspiciously' with a capital S - since the morning, and Kurz wanted to know why. "You better talk to me, or..."

"Or what?"

Anger, Kurz noted with raised eyebrows. Seething and simmering, and ready to destroy whatever was in its path. He had seen a lot of anger from Sousuke in the past few days, but it always had been self-destructive, never directed at anyone but Sousuke himself. The plain fact that the younger man had refocused his feelings meant trouble. /Change of tactics, then. Make him talk, see what’s bugging him./ “Did I do or say something to piss you off like that?”

Sousuke blinked. “Uh…”

/Gotcha. So what did I do since yesterday to trigger such reactions/ He couldn’t recall anything, unless… “You eavesdropped.”

“Uh…”

Count on Sousuke to actually look guilty. /Idiot./ No wonder the kid was angry at him. “ Listen... I know that it was not nice to do this behind your back, but I have my orders.”

“Orders. I see.”

For a moment, there was an intense display of hurt, disappointment and half a dozen other emotions on Sousuke’s face. His eyes seemed to seek an answer beyond the mere words, but Kurz kept the apologetic smile and refused to give Sousuke the trigger the kid was craving for. Kurz hated himself for not being able to tell the truth, for being forced into a charade that could very well tear the team apart. But what choice did he have? What else could he do but protect Sousuke and try to keep the worst from happening? What good would it do to tell the kid about the unspeakable orders Kurz had received, or the suicide mission that was waiting for them once they returned to the de Daanan? No, he could not possibly force this burden on Sousuke’s shoulders as well, seeing how bad the young Sergeant was coping with Kaname’s injury.

“How long will I have before the Commander recalls me?”

Sousuke’s face was impassive, but his eyes and the strain of emotion in his voice were a dead giveaway. Defeat and loss spoke from them. Loneliness that came from hurt too deep to fathom. The empathic part of Kurz wanted to reach out for this aching little brother, but the soldier in him knew that some injuries were fatal, no matter what you tried to mend them. “Three days.”
Part 4
Spoiler! :
Three days.

'I'm wasting time.'

Three days. He could not do the requested task in just three days. Maybe Kurz could, with his miracle skills of smooth talking that seemed to emerge whenever the situation required it. But not him, not when he was at a loss with most conversations that had non-military topics, and definitely not when he had injured the one he was supposed to protect from harm.

'Idiot. I'm a useless idiot.' He added a few more quality choice words of personal insult. It was frustrating to know that killing people was the only thing he excelled in. Well, add AS piloting to that, and he wasn't too shabby when it came to play poker, but otherwise…

'I'm a mercenary. I kill, because it's part of my job.'

But he was not doing the rest of his job, had guilt and shame let rule his actions rather than cold logic. Kurz, Melissa, the Captain, Commander Kalinin - they all depended on Sousuke doing his best. There was no time for feelings that only got in the way. Blood on his hands. Kaname and so many others who he had met, and lost one way or the other... Nevertheless, it was a small price to pay for the greater good.

'Right.'

With new found strength, Sousuke announced: "I have to do homework, then we go and visit Chidori."

"We? As in both of us?"

"Affirmative. Don't underestimate her. I might need protection. If she kills me, then what are you going to tell the Commander?"

Kurz's face was pricelessly dumbfounded. Or maybe he was just surprised about Sousuke's sudden change of attitude. Whatever the reason was, Sousuke didn't care. He had more important things to worry about. If only he could silence the persistent voice in the back of his mind that tried to tell him otherwise and the sucker-punched feeling in his stomach would go away.

Commander Kalinin worked through the pile of paperwork with the efficiency gained through years of practice. However, his thoughts wandered from the present to the past, to a young boy who had forgotten how to laugh, and a man who had revived his conscience thanks to that child.

He still remembered the day when he had met Sagara Sousuke the first time in the rough terrain of Halmajistan. It had been sad to see such a small child turned into a merciless killer, but this happened too often in the bloody wars that destroyed families and nations alike.

In the end, the child had been no match for a seasoned professional. He could have killed the boy back then, maybe should have killed him for the persistent attempts to end Kalinin's life. But something held him back. Maybe it was the burning anger and hatred that filled Sousuke's eyes, maybe his refusal to give in or be intimidated, or maybe just a sudden bout of sympathy and empathy for this small brother in arms. Whatever it was, it had saved Sousuke's life, and maybe Kalinin's with it as well.

Whoever had taught the kid to swear had been thorough. Even injured, the boy stubbornly defended himself until he lost the fight against blood loss and pain, and redressing the wounds became a torture for both of them. Not to mention that Sousuke had almost bitten off Kalinin's index finger when he had tried to force feed his half-starved young prisoner. He still had a scar from that one. Trust had grown slowly, was hard earned and more than once Kalinin wondered if one day he would end up with knife in his back. He wasn't sure what had turned the tide in the end, why one day hatred had become reluctant respect, but he had never rued his decision to take in a lost orphan boy.

Eight years had passed since then, and the boy had matured to a young man, a formidable soldier and member of Kalinin's crew. However, it wasn't Sergeant Sagara's physical growth that worried Kalinin, but the scarred psyche that the youth had to deal with. Sousuke's near inability to function outside of a military setting was also becoming a hindrance for his further... usefulness. Of course, the world would always need skilled soldiers, but that wasn't what Kalinin had in mind for his protégé. No, through all those years he had raised the kid, Andrej Kalinin found himself confirmed again and again in one thing: Sousuke deserved more of a future than getting his brain blown away by the enemy or end up an empty, burned out shell of a human being.

The talent was there, skills and determination, an undeniable hunger for survival. Guarding Chidori Kaname had proven to be difficult, though, forced Sousuke to work in a field that was much more complicated than following orders or being the perfect soldier. Still, Kalinin was confident that Sousuke would master this challenge as well and make a step into an independent future.

Unfortunately, Sergeant Sagara's future right now looked rather bleak. The brass had still to learn about the fact that it was Sousuke's mistake that almost caused the death of one of their precious Whispered, but somehow the higher ranks had found out that Miss Chidory had not reacted well to her bodyguard's presence in the wake-up room. Then there was Mr. Chidori, Kaname's father, who was understandably upset about what had happened. The man was dangerous, since he had the connections that could mean the end to Mithril, and with its downfall, would risk the safety of the entire world.

He couldn't let that happen, of course, not even for Sousuke. So he had issued precise orders last night and he expected that Sergeant Weber would follow them suit. Three days to sort out any misunderstandings, or the liquidation order with Sousuke's name on it would become active. Kalinin smiled grimly. He trusted Weber to make the right decision, for everyone's sake.

Kurz Weber sneezed. Twice. Irritated, he stared at the bouquet of flowers that he held in his hands, then shook his head. No, flowers that made him sneeze would certainly not do any good to the lovely Kaname. He carefully picked another arrangement and showed it to Sousuke. "What do you think?"

"Why do you buy flowers?" was the curtly reply.

Kurz smiled sweetly. "Oh, I don't know... maybe I wanna propose to you?"

"Hn." Sousuke tossed the rose he had contemplated ever since they entered the flower shop back to the bucket. "Visiting hours will be over in forty minutes. You're wasting time."

'Wow, if looks could kill I'd be dead now.' Kurz sighed. "Will you relax? You're so tense one could think your life was on the line."

Which it was, but Kurz didn't want to think about that part of his mission yet. Instead, he cordially slapped his team mate on the shoulder. "Don't worry... The infamous Weber-charm will work miracles on Kaname and she'll forgive you in the blink of an eye, you'll see."

It was almost time for dinner when Kaname woke up. There hadn't been many visitors during the day, a fact for which she was immensely grateful for. She still tired easily and was sore all over, but the doctors said it was normal after all she had been through.

'All that I've been through...' Kaname sighed and looked out of the window, where the light of the late afternoon sun danced through the leaves of a huge maple tree. 'If only I could remember a thing of what happened to me.'

But her memory was fuzzy at best. She recalled someone calling her name before everything went dark, but even that was hazy and more like a dream. Only that this dream was more of a nightmare and she had the broken ribs to prove it. She had almost died. It still was hard to grasp, far away, but scary nevertheless. Dying wasn't something Kaname liked to think about. 'It's bad enough that mom died. Poor dad. I guess I scared him a lot.'

On top of it, her injuries would leave scars. So much for wearing a bikini this year, or any other year, for the matter. Well, maybe it wouldn't be that bad, and it wasn't like everyone would stare at her just because of the scars. Who needed bikinis, anyway? A knock at the door interrupted her morose thoughts, then a young man entered, flowers in his hand and a worried expression on his handsome face. Kaname's eyes widened in surprise before a smile stole itself on her lips.

Sousuke nervously ran a hand through his unruly black hair, trying to gather his courage for this dangerous mission. He knew this task wouldn't be easy, and he'd need all his skill to negotiate a peace treaty. Failure would not be tolerated, that much was sure. Besides, it wasn't only his professional reputation that was at stake. This was much more profound, ran deeper for a reason that was out of his grasp, made him confused and insecure where he should not feel concerned.

"C'mon, she won't bite you."

Kurz was still all smiles, a solid rock of reassurance and so much his usual flirting self that Sousuke began to worry that Kaname would take one look at them and have the hospital security remove them. Permanently.

'I could knock him out and hide him in one of the locker rooms.'

However, that would be quite stupid, considering that Kurz was judge and jury right now as far as Sousuke was concerned.

He reached for the door knob, then hesitated again. That noise, it sounded like laughter. The TV, maybe? Was there supposed to be a TV in her room? What if she wasn't alone? What if her father was there, or Kyouku, or one of their classmates? Or if the doctors were examining her right now?

'Coward.'

Three days. He had just three days to make everything okay. Three days before he would be back aboard the de Danaan for good and... No more Kaname, never again. 'Damn. What is this feeling? Battle scare?'

"You could try opening the door, you know."

The mirth in Kurz's voice made Sousuke growl. Knocking his annoying team mate senseless suddenly didn't sound like such a bad dear after all. However, Weber had a point. Standing in the corridor would do no good. He reached for the door handle again, his heart pounding in a rapid swirl as if he was under attack.

'Now. Enter now, Sousuke.'

Maybe she wasn't in the her room right now.

'N.O.W.'

He knocked quickly, wondering why his palms were soaked in sweat.

'Kaname...'

He pushed the door open, fighting down the instinct to secure the room in his usual manner. A drawn weapon would not pacify her the least.

'Kaname.'

There she was. Paler than usual, worn out, tired, but alive.

'Alive.'

She looked at him with huge eyes, then frowned.

Behind him, Kurz stopped dead in his tracks and Sousuke finally registered the second person in the room, and how this person held Kaname's hand in his.

Something in Sousuke screamed in protest, but he ignored it. The person posed no danger to Kaname, no matter how much an inner voice told Sousuke to throw the guy out of the window or get otherwise rid of him. For, as earlier observations had confirmed, Kaname was quite fond of Mr. Fuwa and would not forgive it if any harm came to him. Still, his hand embracing hers so... intimately made Sousuke angry. Why did she allow this person such closeness in her weakened condition? It was highly irresponsible.

"Uh… Chidori... I'm sorry to interrupt, but… uh… could I have a few minutes of your time?"

She still stared at him and Kurz as if they were creatures from a different planet.

"I'm… uh… er… I'm sorry," Sousuke's fears slammed back tenfold when her expression remained blank. "Chidori?"

A hand grasped his right shoulder, and he spun around, mere instants away from delivering a deadly blow to his attacker and - "Kurz."

"Whoa, pal. Calm down, will you?" Weber squeezed himself past Sousuke, flowers in his hand and a disarming smile on his face. He sat down on the rim of her bed and presented the flowers to Kaname. "So how about it? You know he didn't mean it. Give your heart a push and forgive him already."

"Kurz," Sousuke growled, feeling the blood rush to his face. Trust Weber to ruin what little chances were left to apologize.

Mr. Fuwa had obviously decided that enough was enough. "Chidori, do you know these people?"

Kaname's frown deepened, and she seemed to think hard, looking from Kurz to Sousuke, and back to Kurz again. But she still didn't answer.

"Chidori?"

Her obvious lack of recognition unsettled Sousuke. Something was wrong. Very wrong. Suddenly, Kaname moaned and pressed her hands to her temples, her eyes brimming with moisture that threatened to become tears.

"Kaname?" A million options and possibilities swirled through Sousuke's mind, then drowned in worry and fear when she finally spoke up.

"Who are you?"
Last edited by TheGiftedMonkey on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Part 5
Spoiler! :
"Why do I hear about this only now?" To say that Captain Teletha 'Tessa' Testarossa was upset was the understatement of the year. Outright and fuming mad was a much better fitting description for her mood after she had finished reading Lieutenant Commander Kalinin's orders to Sergeant Weber. Even now, when her subordinate stood in front of her desk, Tessa barely kept her anger hidden. "Assassinate Sergeant Sagara? Who authorised this madness? He's like a son for you, Commander! How can you do this to him?"

Kalinin shifted slightly from one foot to the other, but otherwise he appeared completely unfazed. "I have no other choice, Ma'am."

"No choice? You can't be serious."

"My intelligence information says that there are forces at work right now who will use Sergeant Sagara's negligence in the Chidori-incident to their advantage. Considering Mr. Chidori's position, the fact that Sagara is a member of Mithril has caused some... unhappiness in the upper ranks of the organisation. Mithril's at risk, and Sergeant Sagara's death might be the only way to safe him."

Tessa blinked twice. She should've guessed that Kalinin had something up his sleeve. "So you have a plan?"

There was the hint of a smile on the old soldier's face. "Yes, Ma'am."

"I'm listening."

"Who are you?" Kaname tried to ignore her throbbing head and focused on the two strangers instead. Her uninvited guests looked as if she had suddenly sprouted antlers.

"Uh..." the Japanese looking one made, hurt and confusion shining in his brown eyes. Then he shot a query glance over to his foreign companion. The blond man nodded encouragingly, and Kaname almost smiled despite her pain. 'That's team work for you.' With a sigh, Mr 'Shy-and-Confused' said: "I'm your class mate, Sagara Sousuke. My friend's name is Kurz Weber. You've met him before on several occasions."

"Sagara Sousuke," she repeated, wracking her brain for an answer, confirmation or denial. Unfortunately, all she came up with was a vague feeling of familiarity, but neither the name nor his face rang a bell. "I'm sorry, Mr. Sagara. I don't remember you, or your friend."

"But you have to remember! I...I... If you don't remember, I..."

There was something in his voice that scared her. Anger, maybe, or determination, and something dangerous she couldn't quite grasp.

"I don't know you! Go away!"

The Sagara-person was definitely not taking her answer very well. Little droplets of sweat formed on his forehead, and his face had become pale.

"Miss Chidori..."

"Please leave, or I'll call hospital security! Can't you see you're upsetting her?"

'Thank heavens for Fuwa', Kaname thought. She was glad he had come by. Maybe that was a good sign that he was interested in her outside of their previous school contacts? After all, they had been to Fuma-Fuma-Land together a couple of years ago, and she had almost declared her feelings to him back then...

Suddenly, an image of her and Fuwa sprang to her mind, but it wasn't an old memory, just as if it had only happened a short while ago. She remembered sitting on one of the amusement park's benches, with that complete and utter contempt flowing through her, and she saw herself gently touching... Bonta-kun's hand. 'Wait a minute. Bonta-kun? Why was I pouring out my heart to him?' Something was not right about that memory. It should have been Fuwa sitting there with her on the bench, not a costumed stranger. 'Why does seeing this Sagara Sousuke give me such weird thoughts?'

A shiver ran through her, and she tried to focus back on her visitors. Sagara and his friend Weber exchanged looks, then the blond one raised his hands in defeat.

"Okay, okay, we're gone already."

Only when the door had closed behind them, Kaname noticed that her entire body was trembling.

"Are you all right, Chidori?" Fuwa wanted to know.

"Y-yes," she managed, but truth was that she was far from being okay. The holes in her memory suddenly had turned into an unfathomable abyss, and hear head was killing her. Plus, who was this stranger, and why did she have the feeling that he was important to her? "He said he was my classmate, right?"

Fuwa shot her a surprised look. "I think so."

"Then I have to call Kyouko."

Sousuke functioned on autopilot. At least that was how he felt, following Kurz down the busy hospital corridors out to the equally busy street while the world seemed to pass by in a blur of colours. All hopes Sousuke had harboured had been crushed with her words.

'Kaname does not remember me.'

"Damn. Why wasn't I told?" Kurz cursed next to him, his steps ladded with anger. "This wasn't in the medical report."

"Maybe they didn't know," Sousuke suggested, but the rational approach didn't make him feel any better. 'This happened because of me.'

"cow-poop. She has amnesia, don't tell me that the doctors overlooked it." Kurz fumed. "Who knows what else she forgot... She doesn't even remember you!"

That, of course, was undeniably true. 'A result of my unprofessionalism.' It also was painful for a different reason he couldn't quite fathom, not that it was of any importance, of course, but the strange sensation nagged inside him. "Do you think she forgot that she's a Whispered as well?"

Kurz stopped dead in his tracks, his face reflecting Sousuke's worries. "If she forgot that she's a Whispered, she probably has no clue that she's in danger."

That perked Sousuke's attention. Of course, Kaname was always in danger, she was a Whispered and as such held unimaginable value as a weapon for friend and foe alike. Nevertheless, in the past few months, the situation at Jindai High School had been very calm, and Mithril Intelligence had not warned about any enemy approaches in a long time. But for Weber to mention that she was in danger could only mean one thing. "You're withholding information from me again, don't you?"

"Are you nuts? Why would I do such a thing when a life is at stake?"

Kurz's bristling seemed to be real enough, but Sousuke's gut feeling wouldn't stop screaming 'alarm'. His team mate had proven that he had no qualms about lying before, and what evidence was there that Kurz didn't take him for a fool again? For Kaname's sake as well as his own, Sousuke decided to consider Sergeant Weber a hostile element for now. "Yes, why would you do such a thing?"

Tokiwa Kyouko hugged the yellow cotton bag that her photo album and her digital camera tightly too her chest. She had made it from her parent's place to here in record time after listening on the phone to her best friend's story about a mysterious stranger called 'Sousuke', but what had awaited her at the hospital had unsettled Kyouko.

Part of her had been angry when she had arrived. The nerve of the guy to show up in Kaname's hospital room and upsetting her when she was sick! It made Kyouko wish she had not stopped the guys in her class from turning Sousuke into ground meat. Not for a moment she had believed what the teachers in school had said about everything being an accident - their resident soldier boy had his reputation for a reason. The only thing that had saved Sousuke was that he had looked like hell warmed over ever since Kaname's 'accident'. That, and Kyouko had witnessed how Mr 'Nothing-Can-Scare-Me' had turned into a nervous wreck at the hospital while waiting for the end of Kaname's surgery.

However, her just anger at the perpetrator was drowned out by worry over Kaname's state of mind. Kyouko slowed her pace when she reached a red traffic light. How could Kaname, her best buddy Kana-chan, possibly forget about Sousuke? Ignore him, sure. Kick him out, fine. But forget him? Those two were practically an item! Set aside that it served Sousuke right to get a serious whipping with the paper fan for his idioticy, but this was a bit overdoing it... That was what she had told Kana-chan as well, but she had only received a puzzled look in return.

And it wasn't as if there had been a stranger pretending to be Sousuke. The description her friend had given on the phone had matched her class mate to the tip of his nose, including the scar on his left cheek and unruly black hair that had defeated any attempts on taming so far. So Kyouko had taken her photographic evidence to help Kaname jump-start her memory, and she had pointed out the one and only military fan boy they both knew without fail. Still, the photos hadn't triggered Kana-chan's recollection of things, but had caused her headache to become worse. In the end, they had to call the nurse, and the nurse called the doctor when Kaname's pain became so bad that she started to cry. That was when the nurse had send them home, and so, Kyouko and Fuwa had left, both very worried about their friend.

The traffic light turned green for pedestrians again, and Kyouko continued her way back to her parent's place, her mind full of questions that needed an answer and fears that couldn't be stilled.

The hospital's cafeteria was sparsely occupied, which wasn't much of a surprise considering the time of the day. The brightness of the room was in stark contrast to the darkness outside, even if one couldn't really consider it dark with Tokyo's street lamps and neon signs casting their image at the clouds. The sky looked like it was alive from the perpetual dance of shadows and light. Customers chatted quietly and the scent of freshly brewed coffee hung in the air. Artificial flowers adorned the small tables, matching with the patterns of the plastic covered table cloth.

"I don't care if you think you are her only chance. Kaname's health and well-being is my priority!"

The serenity of the nightly scene was interrupted when Mr Chidori lost his temper. The people around him shot curious or annoyed looks at him and his companion. Mr. Chidori wasn't screaming, even though he felt like it, but his raised voice sufficiently caused a ruckus in the polite quietness. However, screaming wasn't the only thing Mr. Chidori craved for. What his visitor suggested was outright preposterous. "She's not some guinea pig you can use for your experiments... I won't allow it."

"Please calm down, Sir. I assure you that your daughter will be perfectly safe in our clinic. We have the best of specialists to treat her condition."

"Then get your specialists over here," Mr. Chidori growled.

"It would be a waste of precious time to treat her without the proper equipment. Do you want your beloved daughter to turn into a retard?"

The man, who had introduced himself as doctor Masenko, smiled another of his meaningless smiles, and Mr. Chidori was close to slam his fist into the academic's face. "Kaname's not suffering from dementia, doctor."

"That might be true, but she also didn't recognize you, did she?"

"No." Mr. Chidori's anger deflated at the truth of the statement. He had received an emergency call by Kaname's doctor in the midst of a meeting with some investors for an UN project. By the time he had arrived at the hospital, his own daughter had stared at him as if he was a stranger. She hadn't even known her own mother when he had shown her a picture of all four of them, made in happier times. Then this doctor Masenko had shown up and offered the service of his clinic. How and by whom he had learned about Kaname's condition remained a mystery, and not even the fact that the clinic, which's name was neatly printed on the business card Mr. Chidori had received, really existed was in any way reassuring. It smelled fishy, as the Americans he worked with in New York would say.

"Time is of essence. I admit that our methods could be considered experimental, because they are still new. But they have shown their effectiveness again and again. I beg you, for the sake of your child, please reconsider your decision."

Time. Yes, he should buy time to find out more about why this man was so interested in getting his hands on a Whispered. "I'll let you know by tomorrow, Dr Masenko. Now, if you'll excuse me, my daughter needs me."

It was late in the night when Kurz's cell phone woke him and Sousuke, ringing its merrily annoying tune.

Kurz fished the communication device from the pocket of his jacket, and croaked a few times to clear his voice before answering. "Urzu 6."

"Urzu 2 here. You need to pick me up at the usual harbour pier ASAP."

"Urzu 2?" Kurz almost dropped the phone. "What are you doing here?"

"The old man has a special delivery that can't be done the usual way," Mao said cryptically.

"Understood."

"Oh, and Urzu 6..."

"Yes?"

"When I say ASAP, I mean ASAP. It's friggin' cold."

Kurz grinned. "Well, I know a way to heat you up real good, Urzu 2."

"Knocking your pervert carcass senseless will heat me up just fine, thank you," Melissa hissed.

"Aw, you're breaking my heart..."

"Shut up and get your sorry ass over here. Urzu 2 over and out."

There was a click when Mao hung up, and Kurz chuckled. "Love you, too, hon."

He returned his cell phone to his jacket and got dressed.

"Urzu 2 is coming as well? This must be bigger than I thought," Sousuke remarked tensely. The younger man's mistrust was obvious, even worse than it had been in the morning.

Kurz swallowed a curse. 'Damn Sousuke and his paranoia - how am I supposed to go through with Kalinin's orders at this rate?'

Not that Kurz really planned to kill his team mate at this stage, not as long as he had other options to get the kid out of the picture. Just as long as Sousuke would stay put and not tried to pull any stupid stunts, everything would turn out okay. Well, more or less okay, but at least his brother in arms would survive. But more importantly, what was so top secret that Melissa had to deliver the information personally to them? "Yes, and I've got the feeling that something big is going on."

"You think, Kaname...?"

"I'll drop you off at the hospital on the way to the harbour," Kurz decided, knowing very well what kind of emotions were rummaging in his fellow teenager. "No guns or explosives, okay? You know the rules."

Sousuke just nodded and went for the door. The game was afoot.
Part 6
Spoiler! :
Sousuke stood in the corridor that lead to Kaname's room, unsure whether he should continue his self appointed mission or just wait where he was now. The nurses of the night shift had gathered in their break room; he could hear muffled voices and laughter.

Kaname was probably fast asleep already. His thoughts drifted off back to a couple of hours ago. She had looked so small and fragile in the huge white square of the hospital bed... 'It was my mission to protect her. She trusted me... She said she trusted me... And now she doesn't even remember my name and Mr. Fuwa holds her hand is if she's his.'

His stomach churned as intense feelings boiled up in him. Anger, the urge to make sure Fuwa would never come close to Kaname again and... Sousuke's eyes widened. 'What's wrong with me? I shouldn't feel...'

He didn't have a word to describe the torrent of emotions that ravaged through him. And how could he feel something so out of place, anyway? 'I almost killed her, and all I can think of is-'

The elevator doors whooshed open and jolted Sousuke back to the task at hand. He instinctively pressed himself into the shadows, ignoring the fact that there were no real shadows to hide in here in the bright corridor anyway. Three men and a woman, all dressed in medic outfits, walked past him. Their faces were set in determination. The way they moved, almost seemed to glide over he smooth, reflecting tiled surface of the corridor screamed danger. 'Enemies! Are they assassins? Kidnappers?' Adrenalin pumped through Sousuke's system, and he was vaguely aware of the sweat that trickled down his face. The quartet reached Kaname's room and entered. Voices could be heard, muffled sounds – combat? Sousuke tensed. He reached for his gun, only to remember that he had left it at his apartment. Damn Kurz. But not having a gun didn't mean he was out of weapons. 'Even if it's just at killing and destruction... but I'm a specialist. I won't let them harm Kaname. I won't let her get hurt again.'

"He's late," Melissa Mao grumbled and angrily shifted the knapsack on her shoulder. It was filled to the brim with more or less legal equipment, and decidedly heavy. Not that she minded standing all on her own at a deserted pier in Tokyo's harbour in the middle of the night. She didn't mind the cold that bit through her army fatigues either. 'Nope, not at all... You're going to pay for this, Weber!'

With a sigh, she reached for her cell phone and hit Kurz's fast dial number. It clicked a few times as the telephone company connected her through various exchange stations and then... "Huh? Busy!"

Kaname's still form lay between the pristine white sheets of her hospital bed. Her face was waxen, several monitors recorded every vital body function. The slow rising and falling of her chest told the intruders that she was asleep, or even unconscious.

Unbeknownst to the four, Sousuke had sneaked up to Kaname's room. 'It's four of them. The males look like they have combat experience, the female... unknown. Chidori is in no condition to escape, and even if she would be awake... Would she trust me?' Chances were that Kaname would run straight into the enemy's arms. 'Shit. Do I really have to sit and watch?' He pushed the door to her room open slightly, strained his senses to find out what was going on. 'Damn. I had to listen to Kurz.'

"The boss won't like it if she's gonna bite it, Kazuo," the first man flipped the levers on several of the monitoring devices.

"We have our orders," Kazuo replied calmly. "Reizo, make sure that the nurses won't interfere."

"But-" the one addressed as 'Reizo' looked slightly panicked.

"Aw, is the kid shy?" The female snickered and grabbed an envelope from her colleague. "How cute. I'll take care of the nurses, Benjiro."

"You're a real angel, Nariko," Reizo beamed, and watched her heading for the door. "Isn't she?"

"Shut up, idiot," Bejiro hissed. "You're wasting time."

Sousuke managed to shut the door of the neighbour room behind him just in time before Nariko detected him.

"She's gonna kill me... She's so gonna kill me! Shit! Sousuke, you Itsuki!" Kurz Weber stepped on the breaks, knowing that the red light ahead and the police car behind him were a deadly mix. His fingers tapped impatiently on the steering wheel. "C'mon, turn green already!

Slowly, the sixty seconds of the red phase ticked away. "The fair maiden is in danger and the knight in shining armour is stuck in the traffic. How fair is that?"

Finally, the lights switched to green. "No rush actions now."

Kurz accelerated the car, and drove down the empty street, the police car still in tow. "Shit. Aren't there some criminals you can bust?"

Or where they, indeed, following him? What if that wasn't a police car, but a phoney? 'Wouldn't be the first time. The trick is as old as my great aunt Mathilde.' Involuntarily, he glanced at the rear mirror. 'They look normal enough.' But still, even if they were the real thing... What if they were with the bad guys? What if they had been bribed? What if...

The police car turned the opposite way at the next cross road, and disappeared in the distance. Kurz exhaled explosively. "What if I'm an idiot who spends too much time around a paranoid freak like Sousuke?"

He continued to drive in a moderate pace for a while longer. 'No other vehicles that tail me?' But nothing showed up for another few minutes, and finally, he pushed down the gas pedal. Tires screeched and for the fragment of a second, Kurz could smell burned rubber as he was pressed into the driver's seat. "Whoohoo!"

It was two hundred hours, and the middle watch had reached its peak. Quiet conversations filled the command center of the 'Thuuata de Daanan'. With a perfectly choreographed performance, they moved the submarine through a series of manoeuvres to elude friend and foe alike of the boat's position.

Captain Teletha Testarossa valiantly fought against her urge to fall sleep on spot. The steward had brought her fresh coffee a couple of minutes ago, 'extra strong with double sugar'. But she knew that not even the additional caffein would make up for the sleep she had lost worrying over a certain young Sergeant in the past few days. The news about Kaname's constantly deteriorating mental health hadn't helped, either. Still, it was not just personal interest that had been the source of her insomnia. Tessa knew that there was more at stake than just the lives of two young people she considered her friends.

"Captain, I have bad news. Sergeant Sagara reported in, and..."

"Wha-!" Commander Kalinin's voice shrieked her of of her musings. Instinctively, she straightened. Her sudden move had the mug in her hands tilting rapidly, sent hot coffee splattering over her uniform skirt. Her brain choose that moment to temporarily disengage from common sense, and she looked at the quickly spreading stains in eerie fascination. "Oh dear..."

Chatter and the smell of freshly brewed coffee and tea filled the break room. The four nurses of the night shift enjoyed a few minutes of rest from their heavy schedule. They knew that the alarm buzz could call them to duty in a patient's room at any time, but they were used to the Damocles sword of death and diseases dangling over their heads. They were soldiers in a war without tanks or arm slaves, bravely facing the downsides of the inadequately designed human body and soul.

The door opened and a stranger entered the room, her outfit similar to the one the nurses themselves wore.

Spending time around the sick and inured had given the hospital staff a sixth sense of sort. This person, the young nurses knew after exchanging meaningful glances, meant trouble.

"Ladies..."

Loud snoring boomed through the room as the occupants slept through the unfolding disaster, unaware of the young man who had searched refugee in their midst. Sousuke envied them. 'I can't remember the last time I slept so... peaceful.' But there was no time for sentimentalism. The enemy was on the move, trying to steal Kaname from under his nose. 'Kurz, you better hurry.'

Carefully, he opened the door to the corridor. He could hear no sounds, except for the infernal snoring behind him, of course. Sousuke briefly considered annihilating the source of noise. They were an obstacle to achieve his mission objective. 'No. I can't do that. They are innocent non-combatants.' Sweat poured down Sousuke's face, tickling on his cheeks and jaw, but he ignored it. Quickly, he checked the room for weapons to aid him in the upcoming dispute. A cane with a metal hand piece, and a pair of crutches went into his arsenal, along with several disgustingly smelling items that he had no name for. Armed like that, Sousuke felt that he could lure the enemy away from Kaname before executing punishment on them.

With a hoarse cry, he bolted through the door, skidded through the corridor and into Kaname's room, ready to... "Huh!"

His cell phone rang persistently, but Kurz Weber ignored the obnoxious beeps. His attention was focussed on the police officer, who had stopped his valiant ride and now trained her weapons on him. 'Shit! I'm such an idiot!'

But the late insight didn't help much now. Slowly, Kurz raised his hands, feverishly hoping that this unexpected turn of events would not cost any lives. 'I'll never make it in time, now...'

"We are unable to establish contact with Urzu 6 or 7 at the moment," the radio operator looked at his commanding officer with a neutral face. "Do you want me to try Urzu 2 next?"

"Affirmative. We have to get the information through before it's too late."

A deck above them, Tessa read through the file Commander Kaliin had handed her. "But... T-this can't be true! Who would do something despicable like this?"

"Mithril Intelligence has tracked down the criminal subjects in question, but our agents were too late to stop them from activating the assassin."

Kalinin was tense, and that alone told Tessa that he considered the situation grave. "So everything depends on Sergeant Sagara and the others now?"

"Yes, Ma'am. But I'm afraid, there's yet another problem..."

"Another one?" Tessa sighed, feeling the weight of responsibility lasting heavy on her shoulders. Didn't they have enough problems as it is? "What is it?"

"Well... It's like this," Kalinin began, and Tessa listened to a detailed report that made her want to scream. Literally.

Chidori Shunya hadn't even time to be afraid when the crutch swung down on him. Eyes wide, he was glued to the spot, unable to move, unable to scream, unable to think.

"Huh!"

The hit never came. Instead, the attacker stopped his assault in the last instant. "M-Mister Chidori?"

Delayed, fear rushed into him. Shunya could feel his heart racing, and his lungs sucked in the air as if he had run the 100 meter dash. "What... on Earth!"

He stared at the stranger, fully expecting the assassin to flee. However, the wannabe-killer... no, the boy looked rather guilty.

"Uh... I'm sorry, Sir. I didn't know... uh..."

"You didn't know what?" Shunya snapped, his shock dissipating like an ice cube on a hot summer day.

"This... uh... isn't a kidnapping, Sir?"

There was a surprised look on the youth's face, then he collapsed on the floor.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that," the female nurse removed the empty syringe from the body. "I wanted to avoid this, but... Benjira, Kazuo, Reizo - you know what you have to do. Take this Mithril fool with you, we can't leave any evidence. And Mr. Chidori... it's in your best interest if you follow me peacefully."
Last edited by TheGiftedMonkey on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Part 7
Spoiler! :
It took Melissa exactly fifty seconds to break the car's door lock, and another sixty to short-circuit the ignition. Thirty minutes later, she hadn't even covered half the distance to the hospital. 'Maybe I should try calling those good for nothing idiots again.'

Not that she had been successful the last time she tried. Neither Kurz nor Sousuke had answered her calls, and the de Danaan couldn't make contact, either. 'If they managed to get themselves killed, I'll kick their sorry butts to Kingdom come!'

As if on command, her cell phone phone rang. "This better be Kurz, and he better has a very good explanation!"

Dark. It was dark, and the darkness spun and swirled. His head pounded with every beat of his heart. Nausea made him gag, but he fought down the irritating sensation. Voices. People talked, somewhere, about something that he couldn't quite understand. 'Where am I?' Slowly, he pried his eyes open, but the neon light in the room only made his headache worse. Dark blobs danced before him, and the smell of gasoline hung heavily in the air. The soft humming of a generator filled the room, echoing from distant walls. 'A big room. A hall? Or a warehouse?' He tried to concentrate, but the longer he tried, the more fiercely his head pounded. 'Can't give up now... Must... must protect her...'

"I don't care shit if you think that the Mithril guy is a vegetable, Reizo. Kill him and then get rid of him the usual way."

The woman yelled like a drill instructor, and he pitied both Reizo and the Mithril guy.

'Mithril...' The name was strangely familiar. 'Am I Mithril? Does that mean they will kill me?' A sense of danger pulsed through him at the thought. 'I can't let them kill me... I... I must protect... Protect...' He fumbled for a name, any name, but his brain was an endless abyss that had swallowed all information, even his own identity. 'I can't die.'

"Y-yes, Nariko." The man sounded scared. "What about the old man?"

"Chidori? The boss said he wants him and the girl alive for now," the woman spat.

"What happened to 'kill her'?"

"Change of plan. Now, shut up and do your job."

"Chi...dori?" he blinked. For some weird reason, all of his instincts told him that Chidori had to be protected at all costs.

"Are you okay, young man?"

"Y-yes..." He straightened, stretching his aching body and joints enough to get back a sense of control. Next to him sat a middle aged man. Just like him, the man's hands were cuffed to a metal pipe that ran down from the ceiling and disappeared in the concrete floor. There were signs of stress and worry on the stranger's face, but the man seemed to pose no imminent danger.

"I knew something was fishy about that doctor," the man sighed.

"Sir?"

The man nodded. "They tricked me, kid."

'A trick?' He had no idea what the man talked about. But he was sure that he was missing something very important here. 'But what?' He tried to concentrate harder, but the merciless pounding of his head droned out all coherent thought. "Chidori... I have to protect... Chidori."

"Mithril sent a teenager to protect me?" the man smirked. "You've got to be kidding."

"What is a... Mithril?" Talking became difficult, and the room started to sway. "Who... are you?"

"My name is Chidori Shunya. The girl on the stretcher is my daughter Kaname," the man explained, his expression growing more concerned with every moment. "Are you sure you're okay? You look like you'll keel over any second."

"I'm... fine." Chaos reigned in his mind. Fragments of memories, destruction, smiling faces, torn bodies. War. Death and pain, joined together in a murderous dance. "Chidori... Kaname."

Blood everywhere. The blackness of the abyss beckoned him.

'My fault.'

But he couldn't remember what his fault was. There was only guilt, and a strange longing that made no sense at all.

'Kaname...'

The unmistakable click of an automatic gun being armed registered, and he tensed instinctively.

One of the guards walked over to them lazily, a pleased grin on his face. The guard's pupils were unnaturally diluted, and a part of the boy's mind supplied that the man must be under the influence of a drug. How he knew this remained a mystery, but he hadn't any time to wonder about what lurked in the back of his mind.

"Hey, Mithril... you heard the lady. Game over for you. But if you behave, you'll live a bit longer. Don't like it if they bleed in the boot. Heck of a mess to clean up, you know." The guard fumbled for something in his pockets and produced a key, then unlocked the handcuffs.

Mithril, not that he cared much if that was his name or not, reacted without thinking. The guard hadn't even time to scream when a precise kick crashed his windpipe. Dying, the man pulled the trigger, and bullets sped towards their targets.

"Shit! Urzu 2, did you hear that?"

"Hard to miss it," Melissa muttered under her breath, then added loud enough for the microphone to pic up her voice, "Urzu 6, back door. Rescue Urzu 7 and Shepherd. I'll take care of the rest. We meet in five minutes at the car. Urzu 2 over and out."

"Roger that."

Melissa cast a quick glance on her watch, then slipped off into the darkness of the night's darkest hour.

A knock at the door made Telessa Testarossa looked up from her paperwork. Had she missed an appointment? But that was hardly possible – her adjutant would have given her an advanced warning.

"Come in."

Commander Kalinin entered, and she could tell from his expression that he didn't like the news he had to bring. "Commander...?"

"Captain, we just received a report from Urzu 2. It seems that Urzu 2 was able to establish contact with Urzu 6. They were supposed to meet ten minutes ago."

"Continue."

"Urzu 6 got hold up in a traffic control, but he was at the hospital in time to witness Angel, Shepherd and Urzu 7 being kidnapped. He followed the kidnappers to their hideout and requested reinforcements."

Tessa heaved a small sigh of relief. As long as Kurz Weber was around, Sousuke and Kaname were safe. "Did you send out a team?"

"Yes, but..." Kalinin paused briefly. "I'm afraid they will be too late."

"What!"

"Just a few minutes ago, the police received a report about gun shots and heavy explosions in the complex where the hostages are being held."

"Urzu 6, you idiot! What part about 'no hand grenades' you didn't understand?" Melissa shouted, ducking flying debris when the generator's gasoline tank burst in a bright flash. Instants later, chaos ruled in the warehouse. Flames leaked from crates and package material, and within moments, the highly flammable material stored became a roaring inferno. Toxic smoke filled the air. The enemy was on the run, hostages and orders forgotten in the desperate need for survival. On the other end of the hall, Weber's gun bellowed over the crackling of the flames several times.

"Enemy disabled," Weber reported, his voice sounding flat and distorted through the radio. "Shepherd is with me. Urzu 7 is looking for Angel in your direction."

"Can't you help them?"

"Negative. The fire blocks my way. I can't reach them from here. Urzu 6, over."

Unfortunately, that meant that she would be the one who had to go through Mr. Thundercracker's little camp fire and rescue Urzu 7 and his Angel from being toasted. "You're so dead, Weber."

The rising sun cast the hospital room in bright red. Mithril absentmindedly rubbed the spot on his arm where they had injected him the antidote for a poison he didn't remember being poisoned with. 'No, not Mithril. They said my name is Sousuke, didn't they?' Next to him, a tall blond man kept a keen eye on everything. The man – 'Kurz, or was it Kurt?' – kept a watchful eye on him and a sleeping young woman. She looked peaceful, as she lay there in her hospital bed. Dark, long hair cascaded around her head. "She's beautiful."

"Yes," the blond man said. "Very beautiful. You're one lucky guy, Sousuke."

Why he was supposed to be lucky, Sousuke had no idea. Not that it really mattered. Right now, all he wanted to do was stand here, next to the hospital bed with the strange girl and look at her. It made him feel... calm. "What's her name?"

"Kaname. But we have to leave now."

"I don't want to. Can't I stay a bit longer?" Sousuke pleaded. How could he leave the girl - 'Kaname' - how could he leave her? How could he even think about leaving her, when everything in him screamed to be close to her and protect her?

"We'll come back soon."

"Promise?"

The blond sighed. "Promise. Now, come with me nice and peaceful, before Kalinin makes me do laundry duty for the rest of the year."

Sousuke gave Kaname a wistful look, then he bowed down and kissed her gently on the forehead.

Fire. There was fire all around her. The heat singed her skin, made it hard to breath, like a solid wall that threatened to suffocate her. She wanted to scream, but her throat was parched from the toxic smoke that ate the oxygen in the room. Desperate, she crawled towards the exit, but the way was completely blocked by burning debris. That moment, she knew was going to die...

Kaname woke with a scream. Her eyes snapped open and she bolted upwards, but the pain in her body stopped her in mid movement.

"Kaname?"

"Daddy?" She turned toward the voice, and her father greeted her with a warm smile.

"You remember me?"

"Sure, I remember you. Why shouldn't..." Kaname frowned. "Did something happen?"

Her father tilted his head slightly, like he had done when she was still very young and she had asked one of the 'inappropriate' questions. "Well... Yes. Actually a lot happened."

Unfortunately for Kaname, she had to wait until after the doctors had thoroughly examined her the next day to find out.

For ten full minutes, Kaname listened to the story her father told. Her eyes grew wide as she heard about gangsters and kidnappers, and how a false nurse had injected her with a drug that had influenced her memory. She was relieved to hear that a blood sample revealed the truth in time to apply the antidote. When he mentioned the blonde foreigner and the female fury, who had both fought against all odds to rescue them and won, she couldn't help but smile. But when he described the young man who risked his life to safe her from the fire, Kaname felt an odd mixture of warmth and worry well up inside her. "What happened to Sousuke?"

"Sousuke? That's his name?" Her father was amused for a reason she couldn't quite grasp. "He forgot to introduce himself."

"Well, that's Sousuke for you. When there's a fight, he forgets his manners... Is he okay?"

Her father chuckled. "I think so. The young man seemed to be quite bent on protecting you."

"Protecting me?"

"That's all he ever talked about."

"Uh... er," Kaname felt heat rising in her cheeks. "Well, you see..."

"Don't worry. I know about Mithril." He sobered. "You like him, don't you?"

Kaname's blush deepened. "Dad!"

Tessa Testarossa stared at the pages of the report, still not sure if she should believe what was written there. Of course, it wasn't unusual to have a Whispered kidnapped by the enemy. It also wasn't unusual that the kidnappers drugged their victims. But this...

"So they took advantage of Miss Chidori's mishap and gave her a memory altering drug. That's why she forgot everything?"

"Yes, ma'am. It's the same drug that was used onSeargant Sagara, too," Kalining explained."Anyway, the plan was to have her transferred to a hospital specialising in brain injuries. They could've run their tests without anyone interfering, and Mr. Chidori would've kept Mithril out of the picture. Unfortunately for them, their plan was crossed by a group that wants to eliminate all Whispered." Kalinin shifted from one foot to the other. "They would've almost succeeded, if not for Sergeant Sagara and his quick thinking."

"He saved her again, didn't he?" Tessa said with a sigh, feeling a twinge of jealousy of the other girl.

"Affirmative. If not for his timid appearance, Miss Chidori would have received the final dosage. As it is, Sergeant Sagara was injected with more than enough of the drug to wipe his memory clean for good."

"It's a good thing, then, that Mithril Intelligence found the antidote when they raided the group's headquarters." Tessa reflected. "The memory altering effect is still reversible. The doctor said he will be fit for duty within twenty-four hours."

"Yes. He's expected back on his mission in Tokyo by the end of the week." Kalinin's lips curled into a thin smile. "And Mr. Chidori apparently was impressed with Mithril's performance. Sergeant Sagara doesn't have to die, after all."

"So, it all ended good, didn't it?"

The Commander's eyes suddenly sparkled with amusement. "Well, I'd say that the Sergeant still has the most difficult part ahead, Ma'am."

"C'mon, Sousuke. You're a coward." Kurz Weber grinned maliciously and handed his team mate the flowers that Sergeant Clueless had so conveniently forgotten to buy. They had arrived in Tokyo three days ago, but so far, Sousuke had always skirted around visiting Kaname.

"But what if..."

"I told you a million times she'll forgive you. Now, shoo!" Kurz opened the door to Kaname's hospital room and shoved his young friend through the opening. Before the bird had a chance to flee the coop, he smacked the door shut again. Swiftly, he removed a surveillance device from his jacket, pressed it to the wood and listened intently.

A shy greeting, then meaningless conversation, vicious name calling, the smack of a paper fan, and Sousuke's pained yelp told Weber hat everything was going according to plan. For a while, he could hear the two talking about school, then there was silence. 'Don't mess up now, Sousuke.'

Finally, his curiosity got the better of him and he opened the door just enough to spy. With an amused grin, he closed it again. 'Clueless, huh?'

The End--
Author's Notes

I apologize if this story is shorter as expected. I know it should have been at least another chapter or two, but here is the final chapter of Abyss.

Special thanks go to del and Muki, for kicking my butt. What would I do without you two?
Last edited by TheGiftedMonkey on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Hmm, not sure what to think about this one. Didn't impact me as much as The Wait did. Definitely could have been better if it weren't for the rushed ending.

Meh, 7/10.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Not gonna touch FMP fanfics until I finish at least the anime. :P
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Haha yeah, good idea.

Return to “Creative works”