OLN: Michi no Kako (Unknown Past)

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kitagishi Manto
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

OLN: Michi no Kako (Unknown Past)

Post by Kitagishi Manto »

Unknown Past is the first volume of a light novel series I've been meaning to work on for some time but have been postponing due to translation issues. However, after speaking with a member of the Baka-Tsuki staff, I've finally decided to post it, regardless of the lack of translation, and hope I might one day get enough support for it to become an official work that will be appreciated by its intended audience.

I am open to suggestions to improve the work, as I want to make this "light" novel appeal to as many people as possible.

Volume Synopsis

In a world where magic is controlled through song, many different cultures from an age long forgotten have been established. Much of the history of all ages before the present age have been lost, save for some music and technology. This is the Fifth Age, a time following the ages of humans, elves, dwarves, and yokai.

Everybody in the world has a unique form of magic since they were born that is activated by singing a particular type of song. Nine different magical types, referred to as tones, exist.

Everyone can use magic, save for Oren Tsurai.

An amnesiac trapped in a full body cloak that cannot be removed, he knows nothing of who he was. However, his new life is peaceful, with a loving family and few troubles.

But what happens when your home, the place of your few memories, is taken away from you in the name of an unknown revolution? What happens when someone ignorant of how the world works is thrown into struggles of corruption, lies, and betrayal? Follow the tale of someone who yearns for not only revenge, but a desire to learn who he really is in order to prevent future misfortunes from occurring.

Follow the tale of a boy with an unknown past.

Main Genres: Shonen, Fantasy, Music, Action, Comedy, Romance, Politics

The novel is in the link below.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B95mcK ... VrYlU/view
bluntedpoet
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: OLN: Michi no Kako (Unknown Past)

Post by bluntedpoet »

I learned that the author, Kitagishi Manto, wrote this first volume of Unknown Past while in his senior year of college. Let me start by saying that I've worked in higher education for 17 years now, and I would rank Unknown Past as one of the finest pieces of writing I have encountered by a college student in that time. It's not the sheer volume of the work that makes it impressive, it's because it might be the most fully developed fictional world that I've seen a student create. The history of the world, the concept of rhime, the incorporation of music, the various tones and sub-tones---it was a lot to manage, and I thought Manto presented things with great skill. Very impressed. He employed descriptive writing that enabled me to visualize everything in my head as if it were an anime presentation. I can't help but think it would indeed make for a remarkable anime adaption, with the music soundtrack and lyric components making it have something new and original to offer. . .

There are a fair amount of surprises, twists, and turns to keep things interesting for the reader. There are also some obvious set-ups for the next volume, and I sure hope Manto is working on it, and plans to post here again soon!. . .
Kitagishi Manto
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Hello again everyone. I apologize for the late material, as both my schedule as well as the schedule of my editor have been rather hectic.

Nevertheless, here is the first half of the second volume.

I'm still working on the unedited second half, so it will still be a while before the full volume is complete. That being said, this edited first half is still subject to change and, unlike my first finished volume I previously submitted, I would like it if more feedback would be included to help shape the incomplete second half. Thank you.

Here is the link to the first half of the second volume:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19nYB- ... LDt3non5nd

For those who wish to contact me without submitting any comments in this subforum, email me at [email protected].
Kitagishi Manto
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Hello again.

Thank you for your patience. This took longer than expected considering how my graduate school responsibilities and my editor's busy schedule resulted in many postponements, but here is the link to the FULL edited second volume of Unknown Past:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10AC1D ... WOM8x98hiA

Sadly, due to my busy graduate school schedule, I will be very busy and will likely have to put Unknown Past on hiatus for a while. I do hope you understand.

In the meantime, I would REALLY appreciate feedback from readers to further improve these existing volumes and/or get better ideas of how I could write/improve future volumes. If you have an recommendations for future characters, plot points, settings, etc., please let me know.

And lastly, I wish to conduct a survey within this Baka-Tsuki subforum here:
What are your top 3-5 songs (English, Japanese, or OST) that you would want to "hear" in Unknown Past? It can be pre-existing music from other anime, games, etc. Only restriction: not all of them can be from the same "type" of media (ex: not all can be from anime).

Thank you all for being supportive with the large number of views, and I hope that Unknown Past will remain relevant for some more time through future recommendations.
Kitagishi Manto
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Hello everyone. Sorry for being on haitus. While I have yet to officially start working on volume 3, I have been working on a few short skits using the characters from volume 2 and plan to provide them before the end of December (after editing them).

In the meantime, I will also be posting Unknown Past content (when I have time) on Royal Road (RoyalRoad). If you want to provide feedback there or here, please do so (I really need feedback after three years of near silence). I'm also considering setting up a form of crowdfunding (debating which one to use) for commissioning illustrations. Some character art that has been commissioned is already provided there.
Kitagishi Manto
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

As promised, here are some of the side stories that have been edited:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kPpsk ... Shm9ViiHr_

One other side story is excluded because it's still in the editing phase, and I have a few more lined up for later, but I hope you enjoy them.

Return to “Creative works”