Original LN : Fate/Emblem (2nd Holy Grail War)

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

oninn
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Original LN : Fate/Emblem (2nd Holy Grail War)

Post by oninn »

003 (cont.)
Spoiler! :
[March 30, 1875 06:40:42]

Makiri Yuuki is one of my childhood friends. He is a serious person but we get along together well. Many years ago, I disliked him for being too serious and rational but now I think that having a straight person in our friend circle is not so bad. He’s the most composed and mature compared to us three.

I think I consider him to be my most valuable friend because we share a very similar circumstance. This phenomenon called “Magic”. He is also involved in that kind of dangerous situation. Knowing magic can definitely harm yourself, as well as others. He said that his family is a practitioner of magic and he will someday become the head of the family.

“…..this way.”

“Oh, yeah.Right.”

I immediately walk toward him.

We are currently going to the shrine. This shrine is the same as ever, a worn-off torii, a stairs that’s too hard to climb, the chozuya and the toro are still the same, the worship hall and the main hall is still probably the same. I almost panic when I saw the red barrier near us getting stronger day by day but Serene said that we should wait until the vampire that she was currently hunting makes a move. I can understand that she is being cautious but that vampire may kill another person again. Just the thought that the vampire will soon attack someone I knew give me a severe chills on my shoulders.

“By the way, who’s the girl you’re walking with several days ago?”

Suddenly, a surprise attack!

“Err- well… I…”

Will I tell her? Will I not? I wanted to hide the fact that I know her since she’s a foreigner.

“Oi, I’m not interrogating you or something so don’t make that face.”

“Eh? Really?”

What a relief. I can’t introduce her to him because I don’t want him to be involved in this matter… Oh, wait.. HE is already involved. I almost forgot that he is a practitioner of Magecraft. But still, his involvement and her situation are irrelevant so there’s no need to spill the beans.

“Well then, do you mind telling who that girl is?”

“Ummm… you know, it’s that….”

“Just. Tell. Me. Already!”

With him making a really scary face, I cannot help but to hesitate while answering his questions.

“She… She’s an old friend.”

I… partly lied. It is true that she is my friend but... Our friendship is quite complicated. Serene tried to incapacitate me several times in the past because of my relationship with Buch der Weisheit. Anyway, that’s history. It is an experience full of pain and agony but it is still meaningful to me.

“Heh. You’re too obvious… I guess I’ll just leave it at that.”

Seriously, why are you pressing on that topic, huh? Maybe… You’re jealous….? Since I got to spend some time with a girl of my age…hehehehe. I can’t help but make a devious grin…

Or what am I, an idiot?

“….Hey, Naoto.”

“What?”

“….”

Is it just me, or the atmosphere here is getting tense?

“Do you have a wish?”

What? Why did he suddenly ask a strange question?

“I… certainly has one. Why did you ask?”

“… Nothing.”

Weird. It is unusual for him to ask questions of that caliber. Normally, he would ask something like “What will you do from now on?” or “Is this what you want?” but he asked me a question that doesn’t suit a rational and realistic person like him. In other words, he’s an extreme realist.

“Then… can you tell me what is it?”

….

I gaze at the Ema in front of us. It is true that I have so many wishes but I can’t really put it into appropriate words that he can understand. I have a complex feeling about my thoughts, on whether I’m sure about it or not. I contemplate about it, and after several minutes of thinking, I finally thought of an answer that can satisfy me.

“I―”

Before I can even proclaim my wish to him, the back of my head felt a sudden chill.

―This feeling…

“Yuuki, run!”

I bring out my hidden knife and turn around, and then I slash several times in my front.

“Lucky… Yuuki-kun, are you alright?”

I said that without looking at him. Knowing him, he probably had deflected all of “it”.

I’m quite lucky since my body reacted by itself to an incoming attack from a hostile existence. I’m sure that if I don’t have this eyes, the bones that was thrown at as will surely pierce my bod―

Wait a minute.

“B― Bones?”

I confirm it again with my own eyes.

Bones.

Small, thin and almost six inches long. I can’t imagine this thing being thrown by someone but the sight of bones on my feet is more than enough to bring me back to reality. I stare at it, and thankfully, it is not of a human’s. I don’t really need to confirm because I personally knew the structure and looks of a human bone.

“I never heard of this before. Yuuki-kun, what are your thoughts about it?

―Since we don’t know the position of the attacker, we cannot blindly attack him.”

Without lowering my guard, I slowly turn my head to him…. And in my surprise, rather than seeing him alone, what I see now is a weird person with a mask of a skull.

!!!

Where is he? And who is that suspicious –looking woman? Wait. Maybe she’s the attacker?

While I’m being confused right now, a familiar voice started ringing through my ears.

“Don’t worry, Naoto-kun. I am safe. My servant protected me.

More importantly, we should go to a place where we can fully defend ourselves. Assassin, can you please lead us the way.”

“I understand. Please follow me, master.”

Wha―? Who is that woman? Did he say “servant”? If it’s true then what a strong-looking servant that he had. I never knew that Makiris can create a servant of this level. Usually, servants are familiars that are vengeful spirits or common evil spirits from nature that the magi usually summon.

Unfortunately, his servant goes directly to the stairs. Shit― this is bad. Is that servant is expecting us to run down the stairs? You’ve got to be kidding me. If were not careful, we can die by falling on it. His servant was just making our lives at risk more.

“Yuuki!!”

Immediately shout at him.

“―don‘t do it!!!”

But it seems that he cannot hear me…

Shit! I can’t stop him. He’s too far from me now. What should I do now…?

My head is spinning right now. I can’t make proper judgment like this! What I need to do now is to save him. Then suddenly―

“―Ack!”

My right shoulder was stuck by small bones. I feel a sharp pain on it. I immediately fall into the ground on my left.

“D―Damn it! I… I’m this… weak?”

While holding my right shoulder, I try to get up but I can’t. It seems I can’t move my left leg, I don’t know why but it feels kinda numb.

In the past, I was also injured like this… No, I was injured to the point that I’m close to death. Luckily, Buch was there to help me.

While struggling to get up, I feel an ominous presence in front of me.

“Of course, you’re just an ordinary human. No ordinary human can beat a higher being like us.” He said with the intention of mocking me.

A handsome man with a tuxedo suit? No, this presence… He is―!

“You… You’re a vampire? No, you’re almost a vampire, right? Yet you’re still incomplete.”

“Woah, woah, woah. You can tell? Ha! Then it means that you’re no ordinary human. But still, you’re weak.”

I knew it. He’s… a living dead. But it’s impossible for him to create a barrier like that….

“Well, it seems I can’t kill you now. There’s something approaching us, you know? Something different from you’re friend. But don’t worry; I’ll kill him first before you. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I’ll kill him and savor the flesh of his skin with my mouth to my heart’s content. Nyahahahaha!”

He’s laughing so hard that he almost bends his body backwards.

“Well, well. It looks like someone got far ahead with himself.”

He’s not scared at all. As expected of him. But, where did the woman with a strange mask gone off?

“―What!?Heh.You a moron?Ahahahahahh!” the living dead said as he sticks out his tongue to lick his fingers and point them to Yuuki while laughing.

“No, Yuuki!! He’s―”

“Shut up for a while, okay? I can handle this mutt.”

Eh? He’s crazy! There’s no way that he can― eh?

Before I can even finish my rebuke, the man with a tuxedo sharply fall on his knees and starts to cough out blood.

“… *cough*… What… What did… *cough*… you do to meee!!!!?”

“Nothing. I did nothing at all.”

“That’s….i―impossible. H―How can… ack … this b―be?”

Eh? What did JUST happen? He was there standing a minute ago… and then he suddenly… By the way, where is Yuuki-kun’s servant? I decided to take a glance at him….

“….”

Don’t tell me―! No, it’s impossible. But just to be sure…

I activated my eyes and start looking around.

….

…….

……………… this is―

Inclined just for you.
I am normal.
oninn
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by oninn »

003 (cont.)
Spoiler! :
[March 30, 1875 06:40:42]

Makiri Yuuki is one of my childhood friends. He is a serious person but we get along together well. Many years ago, I disliked him for being too serious and rational but now I think that having a straight person in our friend circle is not so bad. He’s the most composed and mature compared to us three.

I think I consider him to be my most valuable friend because we share a very similar circumstance. This phenomenon called “Magic”. He is also involved in that kind of dangerous situation. Knowing magic can definitely harm yourself, as well as others. He said that his family is a practitioner of magic and he will someday become the head of the family.

“…..this way.”

“Oh, yeah.Right.”

I immediately walk toward him.

We are currently going to the shrine. This shrine is the same as ever, a worn-off torii, a stairs that’s too hard to climb, the chozuya and the toro are still the same, the worship hall and the main hall is still probably the same. I almost panic when I saw the red barrier near us getting stronger day by day but Serene said that we should wait until the vampire that she was currently hunting makes a move. I can understand that she is being cautious but that vampire may kill another person again. Just the thought that the vampire will soon attack someone I knew give me a severe chills on my shoulders.

“By the way, who’s the girl you’re walking with several days ago?”

Suddenly, a surprise attack!

“Err- well… I…”

Will I tell her? Will I not? I wanted to hide the fact that I know her since she’s a foreigner.

“Oi, I’m not interrogating you or something so don’t make that face.”

“Eh? Really?”

What a relief. I can’t introduce her to him because I don’t want him to be involved in this matter… Oh, wait.. HE is already involved. I almost forgot that he is a practitioner of Magecraft. But still, his involvement and her situation are irrelevant so there’s no need to spill the beans.

“Well then, do you mind telling who that girl is?”

“Ummm… you know, it’s that….”

“Just. Tell. Me. Already!”

With him making a really scary face, I cannot help but to hesitate while answering his questions.

“She… She’s an old friend.”

I… partly lied. It is true that she is my friend but... Our friendship is quite complicated. Serene tried to incapacitate me several times in the past because of my relationship with Buch der Weisheit. Anyway, that’s history. An experience full of pain and agony but it is still meaningful to me.

“Heh. You’re too obvious… I guess I’ll just leave it at that.”

Seriously, why are you pressing on that topic, huh? Maybe… You’re jealous….? Since I got to spend some time with a girl of my age…hehehehe. I can’t help but make a devious grin…

Or what am I, an idiot?

“….Hey, Naoto.”

“What?”

“….”

Is it just me, or the atmosphere here is getting tense?

“Do you have a wish?”

What? Why did he suddenly ask a strange question?

“I… certainly has one. Why did you ask?”

“… Nothing.”

Weird. It is unusual for him to ask questions of that caliber. Normally, he would ask something like “What will you do from now on?” or “Is this what you want?” but he asked me a question that doesn’t suit a rational and realistic person like him. In other words, he’s an extreme realist.

“Then… can you tell me what is it?”

….

I gaze at the Ema in front of us. It is true that I have so many wishes but I can’t really put it into appropriate words that he can understand. I have a complex feeling about my thoughts, on whether I’m sure about it or not. I contemplate about it, and after several minutes of thinking, I finally thought of an answer that can satisfy me.

“I―”

Before I can even proclaim my wish to him, the back of my head felt a sudden chill.

―This feeling…

“Yuuki, run!”

I bring out my hidden knife and turn around, and then I slash several times in my front.

“Lucky… Yuuki-kun, are you alright?”

I said that without looking at him. Knowing him, he probably had deflected all of “it”.

I’m quite lucky since my body reacted by itself to an incoming attack from a hostile existence. I’m sure that if I don’t have this eyes, the bones that was thrown at as will surely pierce my bod―

Wait a minute.

“B― Bones?”

I confirm it again with my own eyes.

Bones.

Small, thin and almost six inches long. I can’t imagine this thing being thrown by someone but the sight of bones on my feet is more than enough to bring me back to reality. I stare at it, and thankfully, it is not of a human’s. I don’t really need to confirm because I personally knew the structure and looks of a human bone.

“I never heard of this before. Yuuki-kun, what are your thoughts about it?

―Since we don’t know the position of the attacker, we cannot blindly attack him.”

Without lowering my guard, I slowly turn my head to him…. And in my surprise, rather than seeing him alone, what I see now is a weird person with a mask of a skull.

!!!

Where is he? And who is that suspicious –looking woman? Wait. Maybe she’s the attacker?

While I’m being confused right now, a familiar voice started ringing through my ears.

“Don’t worry, Naoto-kun. I am safe. My servant protected me.

More importantly, we should go to a place where we can fully defend ourselves. Assassin, can you please lead us the way.”

“I understand. Please follow me, master.”

Wha―? Who is that woman? Did he say “servant”? If it’s true then what a strong-looking servant that he had. I never knew that Makiris can create a servant of this level. Usually, servants are familiars that are vengeful spirits or common evil spirits from nature that the magi usually summon.

Unfortunately, his servant goes directly to the stairs. Shit― this is bad. Is that servant is expecting us to run down the stairs? You’ve got to be kidding me. If were not careful, we can die by falling on it. His servant was just making our lives at risk more.

“Yuuki!!”

Immediately shout at him.

“―don‘t do it!!!”

But it seems that he cannot hear me…

Shit! I can’t stop him. He’s too far from me now. What should I do now…?

My head is spinning right now. I can’t make proper judgment like this! What I need to do now is to save him. Then suddenly―

“―Ack!”

My right shoulder was stuck by small bones. I feel a sharp pain on it. I immediately fall into the ground on my left.

“D―Damn it! I… I’m this… weak?”

While holding my right shoulder, I try to get up but I can’t. It seems I can’t move my left leg, I don’t know why but it feels kinda numb.

In the past, I was also injured like this… No, I was injured to the point that I’m close to death. Luckily, Buch was there to help me.

While struggling to get up, I feel an ominous presence in front of me.

“Of course, you’re just an ordinary human. No ordinary human can beat a higher being like us.” He said with the intention of mocking me.

A handsome man with a tuxedo suit? No, this presence… He is―!

“You… You’re a vampire? No, you’re almost a vampire, right? Yet you’re still incomplete.”

“Woah, woah, woah. You can tell? Ha! Then it means that you’re no ordinary human. But still, you’re weak.”

I knew it. He’s… a living dead. But it’s impossible for him to create a barrier like that….

“Well, it seems I can’t kill you now. There’s something approaching us, you know? Something different from you’re friend. But don’t worry; I’ll kill him first before you. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I’ll kill him and savor the flesh of his skin with my mouth to my heart’s content. Nyahahahaha!”

He’s laughing so hard that he almost bends his body backwards.

“Well, well. It looks like someone got far ahead with himself.”

He’s not scared at all. As expected of him. But, where did the woman with a strange mask gone off?

“―What!?Heh.You a moron?Ahahahahahh!” the living dead said as he sticks out his tongue to lick his fingers and point them to Yuuki while laughing.

“No, Yuuki!! He’s―”

“Shut up for a while, okay? I can handle this mutt.”

Eh? He’s crazy! There’s no way that he can― eh?

Before I can even finish my rebuke, the man with a tuxedo sharply fall on his knees and starts to cough out blood.

“… *cough*… What… What did… *cough*… you do to meee!!!!?”

“Nothing. I did nothing at all.”

“That’s….i―impossible. H―How can… ack … this b―be?”

Eh? What did JUST happen? He was there standing a minute ago… and then he suddenly… By the way, where is Yuuki-kun’s servant? I decided to take a glance at him….

“….”

Don’t tell me―! No, it’s impossible. But just to be sure…

I activated my eyes and start looking around.

….

…….

……………… this is―

Inclined just for you.
I am normal.
oninn
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by oninn »

It's been sooooo long since I've updated this... And after some time, I decided to rewrite the story into a full 3rd POV. I'm sure that this version was better than the rest of all of the chapters so far. Don't worry... I'll rewrite all of the chapters next time if I had the time... Thanks...
Spoiler! :
Prologue

[March 28, 1864 02:59:59]

"Fill, fill, fill, fill, fill!

Repeat five times.

But destroy each when filled."

Magecraft.

An unknown concept that was undoubtedly existing on the present time. It is the ability to reproduce what can't be scientifically realized regardless of time and funds. Basically, magecraft can cause all sorts of things; miracles and tragedies alike.

It was not the same like Thaumaturgical theories, Practical thesis and baseless religion since it greatly adapts to the primary rule of equivalent exchange.

In order to create something, an offering must be given as a price.

Of course, one just cannot create several pieces of bars of gold from thin air or one cannot bestow a gift without its components. Magus, the person who's performing magecraft, are of course not Gods.

On their case, they have what they called as Prana.

Prana, or simply called as magical energy, are the innate powers of the magus. It can be analogous to gasoline that was used on present vehicles and the sorts.

According to the ancients, this prana can be classified into two different types; the first was the type on which natural environment permeates (Mana), while on the other was the power generated by the magus itself (Od).

Knowing this fact is essential to a magus-in-training, for not all that was involved on this different kind of "science" spell the luxuries of it. Without taking necessary safety procedures, a simple mistake can cause ranging from light concussions to the death of the user himself. That's how dangerous studying magecraft was.

Several decades ago, a man was introduced to all of these.

It is because he met a mischievous man named Zelretch. Though the man respected him not as a great teacher, but as a dear friend.

Meeting on a journey, the man payed up Zelretch's hotel bill since he believed that helping people in need was the most natural thing to do.

Neither that man considered himself stupid nor genius, he simply just learned magecraft on a whim under Zelretch's tutelage as the payment for what he previously did.

Tohsaka Nagato.

That was the man's name.

He promised himself that he would cherish and improve what he had learned from his dear friend. The determination was accompanied with the present from his tutor. A blueprint of a weird artifact which he strive to research, the Jeweled Sword.

The words that he left him was "Alright, it will be surely a struggle, but you should work towards this goal in mind."

Now, returning to the present.

The Tohsaka Mansion was currently holding a banquet, the current highlight for the night was a certain death of a magician named Tohsaka Tomoe but that was just known to certain members of the attendants. The ones attending didn't even knew what was the true meaning behind of such gathering.

Ironically, the direct descendant of the said magus was on the basement, performing what few people recognized as magic. Her daughter, albeit mourning for her dearest mother, was on the focal point of her own magic circle. She was performing a ritual which is, without a doubt, a summoning spell.

"A base of silver and steel.

A foundation of stone and the Archduke of Contracts.

An ancestor, my great teacher, Schweinorg.

For all of the Heavens bestow me the radiance of my pact.

Thou, the seven days clad in the Great Trinity, come forth from the circle of constraint.

Custodian of Balance!"

The face of petite girl was illuminated by bluish light, the mercury on the floor twitched as if reacting to the said words. At last, the emitted light was magnified by several tiers as if blinding her eyes.

She shut her eyes for a moment in order to reduce the impact of the luminescence invading her vision. After few seconds, she slowly opened her eyes and checked the situation in front of her.

Meeting her expectations, a man with tall stature stood on the middle of the magic circle, oozing with high density clump of prana. White smoke danced around the said man, clouding his face from her field of vision.

Her heart was beating ferociously, this young girl clenched her fists as if forgetting that her mother's death anniversary was today. She told herself that she'll do whatever it takes to prove her worth as a next head of the Tohsaka lineage.

The girl silently celebrated inside herself until the air within the basement became humid. The whole place was dreaded with pure animosity, as if the world around her was frozen.

She adjusted her gaze unto the man in front of her, not having a speckle of hint on what kind of dangerous weapon displayed directly on her forehead. She felt cold, not the muzzle of the gun that was pressed against the center of her head but the stare that came from the eyes of what she's supposed to call her "Servant".

The light that was emitted by the altar gradually loses its brightness, concluding that the summoning ritual was without a doubt, a success. Summoning a Servant didn't require an elaborate evocation since the Grail was the one's responsible for the actual summoning. The job of a Master was to anchor the Spirit to this world once after it had appeared and give it enough mana to take physical form. That was her job.

However, what run through the girl's innocent mind was not that.

It was pure terror. Animosity turned into grave killing intent.

The eyes of that man wasn't smiling. Her gut feeling kicked in, reminding that she shouldn't just stand there without doing anything.

"You..."

Just as when her legs almost started to raise the white flag, a simple life line was presented to her. Nevertheless, that was never an escape route from the start but a preemptive strike from the vile man. Realizing this, the little girl stood dumbfounded, having no idea on what kind of response she's supposed to make.

"...Are you my Master?"

A simple question resounded through the whole underground room.

The girl recalled what happened several years ago. Her father was never been a magician from the start. He was just a normal person, oblivious of what magic was. He also never intended on learning magic since he was rated as a human with no magic capabilities by her grandfather, Tohsaka Nagato. Checking out the nature, alignment and potential as a magus was of course a prerequisite in order to marry-in to the family but his condition was quite special.

The love story of her parents was an issue on the household. Because her mother was a true genius in terms of magecraft, it was guaranteed that she'll soon be crowned as the next heir of the Tohsakas. By achieving just that, there was no problem on what kind of man she'll choose, of course that the man had studied proper ethics and morals as a human being. Her grandfather never imagined though that the man that his daughter would chose was a commoner with zero magic potential.

It was simply fate that toyed with their destinies.

The whole issue was simply ignored until a her mother got ill and died. Without even agonizing about the death of her own daughter, he simply directed his blame on her father.

Insults, harassment, and never treating him as a proper son was the compensation that Tohsaka Nagato bestowed upon her father.

That's what she'd believed all this time.

The mist around them had completely disappeared but the killing intent never subsided. Unfortunately, it intensified when the man standing in front of her opened his mouth.

"I will ask again... Are you my Master?"

The girl's shoulder shuddered slightly but she did not avert her gaze from his eyes.

The man understood her circumstances and made a light grin, but the girl never noticed that slight change on the man's poker face. Feeling contented, he steeled his resolve and abandoned his true scheme.

The gun on his hand turned into fragments of lights and disappeared completely. He then materialized something like a small stick, used magic to lit a fire on the tip of it and started to puff out smoke.

Just having this gesture made the little girl's worries seemed like a joke.

Still, the tension between the two never ceased.

"Name."

The tall man broke the silence, administering his intention to the little girl in front of him.

"...Y-Yes... I, ...I'm Tohsaka Yuu..."

With that exchange of words, the guy with weird clothes spit what's on his mouth and declared.

"Servant Archer. I, hereby, answer to your summons."

[Prologue/Fin]

Inclined just for you.
I am normal.
caparo
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by caparo »

I agree that your third person perspective is better.

Return to “Creative works”