Unknown World

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Unknown World

Post by Rajikai »

I'm sorry, but I didn't read it. I'm just posting this to say that the first three lines seem weird. This is all I read.

As expected from her, thinking about what’s best for the students, I’ll never stop being amazed at her sense of thinking.

“Since I wasn’t here during the last two years, what did you students do during the last two summer festivals?”

“Water sports events using the swimming block and sports day using the field I believe.”

Seems a bit mechanical. Hard to explain. I wouldn't know how to fix it. It might be only me, but... Hum... Lately, I've been feeling bad about my own grammatical ability, so I really don't have enough confidence in what I'm saying, but it might help. Anyways, here is something That you might like. Is it correct, I don't know... I just don't know anymore...

As expected, her sense of thinking just amazes me. Always concerning herself about what's best for the students.

"What did your students do for the last two Summer Festivals?" (I don't think the first part is needed, I think it's kinda implied)

"I believe they used the swimming block for water sports, while the other, they used the field for a sports day."

It seems like I rearranged the order. Maybe this will help you know what I'm talking about
1,550/3,400
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Rajikai wrote:I'm sorry, but I didn't read it. I'm just posting this to say that the first three lines seem weird. This is all I read.

As expected from her, thinking about what’s best for the students, I’ll never stop being amazed at her sense of thinking.

“Since I wasn’t here during the last two years, what did you students do during the last two summer festivals?”

“Water sports events using the swimming block and sports day using the field I believe.”

Seems a bit mechanical. Hard to explain. I wouldn't know how to fix it. It might be only me, but... Hum... Lately, I've been feeling bad about my own grammatical ability, so I really don't have enough confidence in what I'm saying, but it might help. Anyways, here is something That you might like. Is it correct, I don't know... I just don't know anymore...

As expected, her sense of thinking just amazes me. Always concerning herself about what's best for the students.

"What did your students do for the last two Summer Festivals?" (I don't think the first part is needed, I think it's kinda implied)

"I believe they used the swimming block for water sports, while the other, they used the field for a sports day."

It seems like I rearranged the order. Maybe this will help you know what I'm talking about
You probably meant its not too natural? The point gets across, but it isn't too natural.

Though I am not sure where the "As expected, her sense of thinking just amazes me. Always concerning herself about what's best for the students. " came from. Your probably meant "The way she thinks just amazes me, always putting her students before herself"? Though even so the sentence seems weird, it is not amazing, but more of her impressing you?

Next, regarding the unnatural conversation. Consider yourself talking to your buddy. Would you say "My school recently conducted a sports meet in the field. It was exciting." or "Hey, been a while! Our school had a sports meet recently, man it was exciting!" Certain details can be left out, because it is implied. You do not have to mention explicitly using the swimming block for water sports, and field for sports day, unless you can use the field for water sports and use the swimming block for sports day that is.

Personal advice, for natural conversations, imagine yourself talking to your friend, rather than think about the points you want to put across entirely. How you interact with your friends or others would be more likely how you can put certain relationships across even in stories.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Thanks. I placed amazes because he placed amaze, and I was just rephrasing it, showing that it might seem better if he arranged it. Amazes also makes sense In my opinion. Amazes basically means surprises, while impress, means adds a positive feature to one's character, ect. Like I said, I think both could do. However, it does change the meaning. One says, like usual, this person is surprising, while the other says, wow, this person doesn't stop impressing me. Basically that.
{Didn't know another word for impress, sorry}

Also, I did mention earlier, I'm feeling a bit out of it/unconfident.

So what I basically said is, I was just showing that it would be better to word it differently. I guess. I agree with shadow on pretending. But In my opinion, thinking about a friend might be to personal.

I believe it's best to just relax, and play a movie in your head. You've watched enough tv/movies, I assume, to do this. You don't really have to see picture in your head or anything like that, just the words. I can't visualize anything, so words are the next best thing. While visualizing, thinking of the scene. Imagine them having a conversation. Heck, be the character whose having the conversation. It might be addicting :P

Plotting in out on paper, or as you write seems wrong. Too unnatural (thanks Shadow). If it's a story-line, or building a character, it's okay, but conversation needs to seem like something spur of the moment, or something they've been thinking for hours. Best way to do that, is basically have a spur of the moment yourself, or heavy pondering on it. :/ might seem like I'm rambling, I might be, but I hope it helps.
1,550/3,400
Codex9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Codex9 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
Rajikai wrote:I'm sorry, but I didn't read it. I'm just posting this to say that the first three lines seem weird. This is all I read.

You probably meant its not too natural? The point gets across, but it isn't too natural.

Though I am not sure where the "As expected, her sense of thinking just amazes me. Always concerning herself about what's best for the students. " came from. Your probably meant "The way she thinks just amazes me, always putting her students before herself"? Though even so the sentence seems weird, it is not amazing, but more of her impressing you?

Next, regarding the unnatural conversation. Consider yourself talking to your buddy. Would you say "My school recently conducted a sports meet in the field. It was exciting." or "Hey, been a while! Our school had a sports meet recently, man it was exciting!" Certain details can be left out, because it is implied. You do not have to mention explicitly using the swimming block for water sports, and field for sports day, unless you can use the field for water sports and use the swimming block for sports day that is.

Personal advice, for natural conversations, imagine yourself talking to your friend, rather than think about the points you want to put across entirely. How you interact with your friends or others would be more likely how you can put certain relationships across even in stories.
Rajikai wrote:Thanks. I placed amazes because he placed amaze, and I was just rephrasing it, showing that it might seem better if he arranged it. Amazes also makes sense In my opinion. Amazes basically means surprises, while impress, means adds a positive feature to one's character, ect. Like I said, I think both could do. However, it does change the meaning. One says, like usual, this person is surprising, while the other says, wow, this person doesn't stop impressing me. Basically that.
{Didn't know another word for impress, sorry}

Also, I did mention earlier, I'm feeling a bit out of it/unconfident.

So what I basically said is, I was just showing that it would be better to word it differently. I guess. I agree with shadow on pretending. But In my opinion, thinking about a friend might be to personal.

I believe it's best to just relax, and play a movie in your head. You've watched enough tv/movies, I assume, to do this. You don't really have to see picture in your head or anything like that, just the words. I can't visualize anything, so words are the next best thing. While visualizing, thinking of the scene. Imagine them having a conversation. Heck, be the character whose having the conversation. It might be addicting :P

Plotting in out on paper, or as you write seems wrong. Too unnatural (thanks Shadow). If it's a story-line, or building a character, it's okay, but conversation needs to seem like something spur of the moment, or something they've been thinking for hours. Best way to do that, is basically have a spur of the moment yourself, or heavy pondering on it. :/ might seem like I'm rambling, I might be, but I hope it helps.
Hm, I think I understand now what you both ShadowZeroHeart and you Rajikai (You weren't rambling, I take anything both you guys say seriously since it's helped me a lot and I wish to get better) meant now, the thoughts on this is also being based from what was said last time, as you mentioned I wanted to get the point across, but at the same time try to squeeze in conversations to build upon the progression... if that makes any sense?

Like before I wasn't too sure what kind of topic/conversation to put in, so I try to think what's on top of my head and end up choosing a topic that'd you see in a anime/manga/LN cliché (the fetish part as an example) and from what there, you could see what I was trying to reach for (I hoped), but the way I wrote it felt out of conversation...

From what I can understand the conversations I write feel more unnatural when trying to get the point across, like the character has mentioned every little detail there is to the topic at hand? And once again like you said, I could end up leaving certain details, as it's implied like that example you gave ShadowZeroHeart right?

Thank you both, I'll delay the next part to re-work on part 2's conversations and brush up my writing when it comes to conversation, I'll take both advice and try to imagine myself (or rather say it out loud to myself) to see if the conversation is being played and makes sense.
"Everyone in this world has different views to one other, therefor the way we see things 'equally' ourselves, can vary from person to person."
Codex9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Codex9 »

After a while, here is the V2 I spent quite some time working on, I don't really have much else to say considering I said everything I could in the previous comment just then, well in any case this is my V2:

Part 02 V2:
Spoiler! :
The date today is now August 9th, one day before the half-term holiday begins. And even though I wanted to pack up quicker than usual and hurry on home, I’m afraid I won’t be this time, not after yesterday’s incident.

August 8th, I witnessed Shino Yoshika toss a car effortlessly into the air, a few seconds after noticing my presence and after our eyes met, well… she reacted differently from what I had anticipated.

I’ve always had assumed that Shino was the type of person to talk things through or at least take some kind of action towards a situation like this first hand, well, before me at the least.

But instead she did the exact opposite and ran away without uttering a word, and that in itself is what confuses me the most.

“Shino Yoshika?” Yukari Mikado suddenly stopped writing upon hearing my question, “I’m surprised you’re asking me about a student as popular as her, did something happen?”

“Well no… I’m just uh, curious about her background and all.”

Mikado tilts her head, “Hoh, you don’t say?”

“No, I mean well- her name is quite unique, I get the feeling I’ve heard that name before.”

“Shino, meaning ‘stem of bamboo’, and Yoshika, referring to someone whose always deep in thought. Is that what you meant?”

“That’s not what I’m trying to get at, but that is interesting to know Yuka- I mean, teacher.”

“I’m a teacher after all, I only know what’s best for my student,” continuing to smile she averts her gaze towards the window and proceeds by adding, “Oho, curious about little Miss Shino? Do I sense love in the air?”

I told her to stop talking at that point.

Yukari Mikado.

She’s my current homeroom teacher and my mother’s little sister in law, firstly I’d like the stress out that the main issue here isn’t the fact that despite her being twenty one years old, she looks like a third year high school student, but at the fact
that someone so smart is working in such an average school to begin with.

Short black hair, expensive smart glasses, not too strict with rules as many other teachers are, she is quite scary if you end up in her bad books, and not to mention she’s well respected by bother students and teachers alike.

The dream teacher males sought for, the idol that females aspire to be, that’s Yukari Mikado for you, my aunt in law and loving, caring teacher.

Achieving such a reputation within a year of being here is quite a feat, Yukari was truly a brilliant teacher in the eyes of many, it’s as if she had this mysterious aura around her that makes you think she was born to be a teacher, and that even when she retires, you’d still get the feeling that her teacher like traits would stick to her forever.

Yukari only recently became a teacher for about a year now, not to mention this is her first proper job at this school. After finishing her course at university and getting her degree, she jumped the gun and immediately signed up as a teacher as soon as the option was available. Honestly, I’ve never asked why Yukari chose this place despite being offered much higher class places to attend.

What I trying to say here, is that if she was a student, her grades would probably even top that of Shino Yoshika, and that’s something. Yukari Mikado is just that smart.

I can recall the first day where she introduced herself, and I’ll point this out beforehand, Yukari Mikado is a persistently kind person, the type of person that doesn’t budge one centimetre when she sets her mind onto something. Anyway, back on topic, the first declaration she made to the class on that was:

「“I’ll make sure you become a better person for the future!”」

Anyone would assume that she was referring to the whole class when she said that, that is, if she was standing behind the teacher’s desk at the front. Unfortunately the place where she stood was not the front of the room, but in front of my desk where I was sat.

I was neither a problem child nor a delinquent as far as I’m aware, if I had to best describe myself, I’d say I’m that background character which has no relevance to any class activities taking place, whether I’m there or not wouldn’t make the slightest difference, that’s how I viewed my role in class. So that’s why when Yukari Mikado, my aunt in law and home room teacher declared that she’d make me a ‘better person for the future!’, it came to me as quite a shock.

What got more confusing was how I was forced to become Yukari’s assistant afterschool, and despite plenty of other male students that would have gladly loved this job, all I could do is sigh that I didn’t get a choice and that my afternoons afterschool have been taking away just for cleaning up the classroom and doing other tedious tasks.

And so,

That’s why I’m currently standing here in the staff room, helping Yukari with preparations for our class’s plan for this year’s summer festival. Unlike other schools, this one has a custom of doing a festival every season rather than yearly, which can be a handful considering exams closing around the corner.

“Okay, for the coming festival we need to be wary of our class funds, since this money is to be used all year round and not just for this season. I also think we shouldn’t do anything big since exams are right around the corner.”
Yukari spoke in a formal tone,

“What did you students do during the last two festivals?”

“I believe we used the swimming block for water sports, while the other, we used the field for a sports day.”

“Interesting, we don’t have to spend much using resources we already have, I’ll note that down,”

“Interesting? If you ask me they sound too normal.”

“Hoh, can’t you think of a better word to describe what you’re trying to imply?”

“Hm, then, how about… too cliché?”

“And the maid café idea you presented just now isn’t?”

“I never presented such an idea to begin with!”

"But you do want to see the girls in class in maid outfits don't you?"

The girls in class in maid outfits, thinking about it, I’ve never imagined- I then noticed the smirk on Mikado's face.

“...Please do not ridicule me with such nonsense.”

That’s right, I should act mature like an adult, that’ll shut her up.

“Oh, what is with that pause? Why don’t you just admit your fetish for maids?”

“I never had such a fetish to begin with!”

Gah! The words come out faster than I think! I shouldn’t have opened my mouth!

“Is that so? But I recall seeing such magazines under your bed.”

“No, I don't have anything under my bed!"

“Yeah, you keep them in your bookshelf, well-disguised amidst other books right?”

“You seem to be enjoying this, aren’t you Yukari!”

I think my head’s beginning to spin,

“All joking aside, I don’t see anything wrong with using a normal, simple idea is there? In the end it’s something that everyone can enjoy and take part in at a certain degree.”

“I guess so, you put a lot of thought into this don’t you?”

“I’m a teacher after all, I only know what’s best for my students, and with that no one gets left out,” As she continues to flick through her notes she pauses momentarily and raised one eyebrow, “By the way, I found something interesting about Shino since you asked earlier.”

“Huh, what would that be?”

And just like that the topic shifted back to Shino again.

“This all started last year during March, I heard that little Miss Shino didn’t take part in any physical events during previous seasoned festivals. I know that it’s not customary to take part in all events, after all, there are too many events to count for the ordinary student…”

However Shino, Shino Yoshika,

“…Isn’t any ordinary student, is she?”

「“Shino Yoshika is well known for being one of the top students at our school. Smart, athletic, kind, hardworking, and the amount of enthusiasm she puts into school events is staggering.”」

I remember hearing about that, even though she took part in many different events, she avoided physical events, and being a student as popular as her, even something minor like that is noticeable.

I can confirm this, I’ve been in her class for two years straight, and during that time I can point out the various small noticeable stunts she’s pulled.

One for example would be in physical education classes from March onwards, I’ve noticed that she would avoid making physical contact with other female students, and with luck became referee to avoid getting involved. It amazes me how the teacher don’t question her, then again she is a model student so they may not even realise.

Now if I were to say that, and I know this sounds really stupid but let’s say hypothetically speaking, that Shino Yoshika had superhuman strength, and I mean to an extent where she is capable of throwing a car to across the length of a football court.

Bear with me for a moment, now using this ridiculous theory let’s say with strength like that, she was unable to control her own physical strength and, as a result conflicts with most of her physical activities, like kicking a football would equal the same as firing a cannon ball, or playing dodge ball would result in some serious injuries, I can make a list of cases where this would conflict.

If this happened to be true, then wouldn’t hiding a secret like that be considered very difficult, especially when you’re a popular student like Shino that the slightest factor like being late for class end up becoming the talk of the school.

And as supporting evidence to prove this ridiculous theory, I need to ask myself, everything that I witnessed yesterday, was it real?

“Are you okay? You seem very concerned about Shino, did something happen to her?” Mikado questioned me after a very short silence.

“Hm? No, nothing’s happened, I was just curious and all.”

I lied.

I didn’t want to drag anyone into this, especially Yukari Mikado of all people.

Plus, it’s a secret Shino has seemingly kept hidden for a year now, and I doubt anyone would believe me if I told them about her.

“Do I sense love in the air? Is that why you were spacing out just then?” Mikado teased.

“You’re wrong, completely wrong! It’s that-”

However, when I think about it,

“She’s a hardworking alright, but…”

She is defiantly like any other hardworking student, any can say that much of course.

But after witnessing what happened yesterday, I don’t think I can see Shino as just any ‘hard working student’. Her studies, her grades, everything she works hard for, alongside all that she continues to conceal that secret from everybody else. Her friends, her family even, everyone, if she tried to keep it a secret from everyone, then…

“…I think she’s overworking herself.”

Looking back at the scene yesterday, I can say with relief that I’m glad I wasn’t crushed by that car, being one foot away and all.

“Now that I think about it, wouldn’t you know more about Shino than me?”

“What makes you think that?”

“I mean after all, you’ve been in the same class as her for two years in a row right?”

“Well… that’s –”

“Not only that, if she overworking herself, wouldn’t you think she would have spoken to the teachers or consulted any stress related issues with close friends and family?”

“-That’s… probably true.”

“How about I reverse our positions on the topic then?”

“Huh, what do you mean?”

“I’ll ask you the question you asked me, what is it you can tell me about Shino Yoshika?”

“Um, let’s see, Shino Yoshika, someone that is well, respected by both teachers and students alike, always reaching top marks in nearly all subjects, and has perfect attendance during her three years of being here.”

“I see, however I already knew that, I was referring to stuff that I wouldn’t know.”

There was that incident from yesterday, but I can’t bring myself to say that.

“Can’t you tell me anything at all?”

“I might have been in her class for two years, but it’s a given I wouldn’t know anything personal about someone I’ve never spoken to.”

“I suppose so.”

“Not to mention I’m still trying to clear my head from what happened two weeks back.”

“Two weeks ago?”

“Ignore that, that’s off topic sorry, please continue.”

“Well… okay then. Like I mentioned before, there isn’t much else about Shino that can be said aside from the common stuff everyone knows, from the looks of it, if you want to know more about her, I think you should speak to her in person.”

In the end I’ll eventually have to meet with Shino face to face, even if Yukari tells me not to.

“And even though I shouldn’t say this, I get the feeling she’s hiding something, it might be something trivial or something personal, but she has an air around her suggesting that she’s the type to keep secrets.”

I was surprised that Yukari thought the same way about Shino like I did. It’s one of the many factors I respect Yukari Mikado for, being able to see through people.

“I’m going to tell you this as a close friend rather than a student.”

A little off topic note, afterschool Yukari and I treat each other as friends rather than student and teacher, again, it’s another factor that I respect her for.

“Since most, if not all the students see Shino Yoshika the same way as you described her, then isn’t that no different than an idol or celebrity?”

「“Shino Yoshika, someone that is well, respected by both teachers and students alike,”」

Looking back at the comment I made a moment ago, I’ve realised that despite being respected by many, is that the extent of her relationship with everyone? Every person she’s spoken to, the people she’s worked with in class and taken part within events, I’ve never seen her with anyone that I assume was a close friend of Shino Yoshika.

“Sounds like a fictional character you’d see in a comic book or TV show.”

If the assumption that she has no close friends is true, then that would make her the opposite to me. For me, I don’t have many friends, mainly because I hardly put any effort into trying and I hardly get involved with school activities, I really didn’t care. Shino however, has put a lot of effort getting along with everyone and trying her best in school activities, because of the way everyone looked up to her, there was no one on her level to be considered a ‘friend’.

I’m at the bottom, Shino is at the top.

That was my selfish assumption of how I compared Shino Yoshika and myself.

“She’s certainly a mystery, inside and outside of school.”

“Ah, outside of school? Is there anything about her outside from school?”

“Before you ask, I ain’t telling you her phone number.”

“That’s not what I wanted to know.”

“Hoh, I ain’t telling you her address either.”

“You make a living out of teasing me so much, don’t you?”

All she does is smile aimlessly.

“In all seriousness, I can’t tell you anything that’s in her school records for legal reasons, bur I can tell you about a rumour that was mentioned among the teachers.”

A rumour among the teachers?

“During the April holidays last year, it was rumoured that she ran away from home for around a week, but it’s an incident that we chose not to dwell upon.”

“And why’s that?”

“Because it’s a personal thing, not something that involves the school.”

“I see.”

“I’m afraid that’s all I know, I’m sorry I couldn’t provide much else.”

“No, that’s helped me quite a bit to be fair, thanks teach-”

“Yukari, you’re allowed to call me Yukari afterschool when no other student is around.”

“Okay, I’ll do that, Yukari.” I couldn’t help but force a smile to hide my anxiety.

Ever since that incident yesterday, I kept asking myself, what was I trying to figure out?

How am I supposed to approach her?

Do I even know the cause of her problem?

And if so, what should I do then?

“But my overall view of her won’t change.” Yukari spoke out to break the silence.

“Your overall view?”

“Little Miss Shino’s existence… is a very attractive one to say the least.”

Ah.

That might be it.

Attractive, so much so she gets a lot of attention.

That demonic look in her eyes.

That extraordinary strength.

“Maybe it’s coincidence…”

Well known by all.

And a slight chance that, someone was out for her.

“…But I’m not taking any chances this time.”

“Sorry, did you say something?”

“Yukari, I remember there was something very important I needed to do.”

“Something other than sleeping~!?”

“Why do you look so shocked! Is it that surprising!?”

Calm down, I don’t have time for this.

“I need to see Mr Kyou, it’s pretty important.”

“Hoh, is that so?”

“Yeah, I forgot to clean up his place yesterday, and I have work he wants me to finish.”

“And helping him out is more important than helping me out?” Mikado’s expression was that of a tease.

“Is it okay if I leave early for today?” I kept my tone in voice quiet and formal.

“As long as you come into school tomorrow for an hour to help out, then I’ll allow this for once, hurry one now, you don’t want to keep Kyou waiting then.” It was clear that she saw through me, yet I’m thankful she doesn’t question it.

“I’ll think up a few ideas for the festival tomorrow, if not then I’ll follow through with whatever you decide on.”

“Thank you Yukari, I’m in your debt again.”

“Yeah, yeah,” She shakes her hand telling me to shoo, “Say hello to Kyou when you’re there.”

“Shall do.”
And in case anyone wants to compare, here's the old version:

Part 02 V1:
Spoiler! :
“Shino Yoshika?” Mikado Yukari suddenly stopped writing upon hearing my question. “I’m surprised you’re asking me about a student as popular as her, did something happen?”

“Well no… I’m just uh, curious about her background.”

Mikado Yukari tilts her head. “Hoh, you don’t say?”

“No, I mean well- her name is quite unique, I’ve felt I’ve heard that name before.”

“Shino, meaning ‘stem of bamboo’, and Yoshika, refers to someone who whose always deep in thought. Is that what you mean?”

“That’s not what I’m trying to get at, however that’s pretty amazing Mika- I mean, teacher.”

“I’m a teacher, I know only what’s best for the students,” continuing to smile she averts her gaze towards the window and proceeds by adding, “Oho, wanting to learn more about her? Do I sense love in the air?”

Mikado Yukari.

My current homeroom teacher, and my mother’s little sister in law, firstly I’d like to stress out that the main issue here isn’t that the age difference between me and her is about two years, but the fact that despite her looks and age she’s also a working here as a teacher.

Short black hair, expensive smart glasses, not too strict with rules as many other teachers are, she is quite scary if you end up in her bad books, and not to mentions she’s well respected and liked by both students and teachers alike.

The dream teacher males desire, the person that females aspire to be in the future, that’s Mikado Yukari for you, my aunt (in law) and loving teacher.

Achieving this reputation despite being here for a year, Mikado had this mysterious aura around her that makes you think she was born to be a teacher, even in the future after she retires, you’d get the feeling that she won’t lose any of her teacher-like traits.

As previously mentioned, Mikado and I have a two year age gap and that she’s became a teacher here last year. After finishing her course at university and getting her degree, she jumped the gun and immediately became a teacher here as soon as she was given the chance, continuing to impress many alike to this day.

If she was still a student I’d imagine that her marks would be number one, topping that of Shino Yoshika herself, and that’s quite a feat to pull off, she’s that smart.

Mikado Yukari was someone that seemed out of this world, that’s how much I look up to her.

I can remember on the first day where she introduced herself, and I’ll point this out beforehand, she is a persistently kind person, the kind of person that doesn’t even budge one centimetre when she makes her mind up. Anyway, the first declaration she made to the class on that day was:

‘I’ll make sure you become a better person for the future!’

Anyone hearing that would assume she was referring to everyone in the room… If she was standing at the front of the classroom, unfortunately the place where she was standing was not where the blackboard was but in fact the front of my desk.

I was neither a problem child nor a delinquent as far as I’m aware, if I had to describe myself, I’d say I’m that guy who doesn’t stand out and doesn’t complain about it because he doesn’t care. That’s why when Mikado Yukari, my aunt in law declared that she’d make me a ‘better person’ like that, it came to me as quite a shock.

What was more confusing was how I was forced to become Mikado’s assistant afterschool, this means cleaning the classroom and carrying papers to the staff room.
And so,

That is why I’m currently here at the moment in the staff room, helping out Mikado with preparations for the school’s summer festival, incidentally there’s a festival every season at our school, I consider this quite a handful since it’s coming close to exams.

“For this season’s festival, the one thing we need to keep an eye out for most is our school funds, as the money is for the whole year round and not one season, I was also thinking we shouldn’t do anything big this season considering exams being right around the corner.” Mikado spoke in a formal tone.

Thinking about the exams and budget first, it’s like Mikado read my mind just now, full of surprises as always.

“I didn’t get time to check up on the last two years, what did you students do during the last two summers?”

“Water sports event using the swimming block and sports day event using the field I believe.”

“Interesting, using resources we have rather than spending on newer resources, that’s pretty clever.”

“You think? Those events sound too normal in my opinion.”

“Normal you say? Can’t you think of a better word to describe what you’re trying to imply?”

“Okay, then how about cliché?”

“You’re predictable as always, falling for that one.”

“Please stop exploiting my weak points.”

“Don’t you mean stop exploiting your fetishes?”

“Is that so? You sound too normal in my opinion.”

“You seem to be enjoying this, aren’t you Mikado!”

“All joking aside, there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with a normal idea is there? It’s something everyone can agree on to a certain degree after all.”

“I guess so, smart as always teacher.”

“I’m a teacher, I know only what’s best for the students,” Flicking through the papers Mikado’s raised one eyebrow, “I found something interesting about Shino Yoshika by the way, though I can’t confirm this since I wasn’t here a year back.”

“Hm, what would that be?”

“From last year during March onwards, I’ve noticed that Shino didn’t take part in any physical events during the recent season festivals. I know that it’s not customary to take part in all events, after all, there are too many events to count for the ordinary student…”

“…isn’t any ordinary student, is she?”

{The amount of enthusiasm she puts into school events is staggering.}

That was a year ago, even though she took part in events, she took part in very few, making it noticeable.

With me being in her class for two years straight, I’ve noticed a few other things that one would consider ‘normal’, like in physical education classes from March last year she would avoid making physical contact with the other female students and those other times where she became referee for sports to avoid getting involved. No one notices since she technically is getting involved with class and so, and I may be paranoid to think that she has something to hide.

But what if, and I know this would sound stupid but what if…

What if Shino Yoshika was hiding the fact that she is insanely strong, I meant to an extent that she is capable of throwing a car from one side of the average football court to the other.

Now let’s say she doesn’t know how to control her own strength, this would cause problems with her daily life, such as kicking a football would result in having the same strength as a cannon ball, or maybe that playing catch with a partner in class would result in someone’s head getting smashed in, there would be a lot of cases where she would have issues.

If this happened to be true, then hiding a secret like that would be very difficult, especially where she stands in the view of many students looking up to her.

Now the main question I need to ask myself now, everything I witnessed from yesterday, was it real?

“You seem worried, did something happen between you and Shino recently?” Mikado questioned me after that short silence.

“Not really, nothing out of the ordinary.”

I lied.

I don’t want to get anyone dragged into this, especially not Mikado Yukari of all people.

“So her hardworking attitude has motivated to work hard in life? Or maybe it’s love~” Mikado teased.

“Like hell it is!”

Now that I think about it deeply,

“Hardworking huh…”

She is defiantly a hard working student, from any student’s point of view.

But after witnessing what happened yesterday, I don’t think I can see her as a hard working student, but probably something on a higher level.

Studies, reputation, grades, events, she works hard among all those topics. Outside her school life she is probably working hard on trying to hide that secret of hers, maybe her family knows or not knows, but the fact that she needs to also work on hiding it from everyone in school.

And that in itself is impressive, insanely impressive.

“…She probably works a little too much.”

I also can’t dismiss this as Shino being naturally strong, nor can I say reason why she doesn’t get involved in anything physical is because she doesn’t want to injure anyone, though that reason is probably true, her strength is far off from the average human.

Looking back at that scene yesterday, I can say with confidence that I’m fortunate enough that I’ve not been crushed by that car, being one foot away and all.

“Why do you think that?”

“I’ve been here for a year, you’ve been here for three, and on top of that you’ve been in the same class as Shino since last year, am I wrong?”

“Well… that’s –“

“Not only that, if something was wrong, wouldn’t you think that little Miss Shino would have spoken to the teachers or consulted it with her friends or parents by now?”

“That’s… true.”

“Then, how about I reverse the topic then?”

“Huh, what do you mean?”

“I’ll ask you this as a teacher to her pupil, what is it you can tell me about Shino Yoshika?”

“Well Shino Yoshika, a student who’s always makes the top marks in nearly all subjects. She is respected by both students and teachers alike, and has perfect attendance within the three years of her attending here.”

“Interesting, however I already knew that, I was referring to stuff that I wouldn’t know.”

There was ‘that’ from yesterday.

“I’ve been in her class for the past two years. Naturally for someone I’ve never spoken to, I’d only know things that have been passed around the school, like rumours and the basic stuff.”

“That’s a valid point.”

“Not to mention I’m still trying to clear my head from what happened two weeks ago.”

“Two weeks ago?”

“Ignore that, it’s off topic sorry.”

“Well… okay then. Like I mentioned before, there isn’t much else about Shino that can’t be said other than most of the common stuff you pointed out. And even though I shouldn’t say this, I get the feeling that she is hiding something.”

Wow, I was surprised that Mikado was part of the minority of people that felt the same way towards Shino like I did.

One of the many factors I respect Mikado Yukari for, being able to see through anyone.

“Hide something, as in?”

“I’m only telling you this as a friend rather than a student.”

The second of the many factors I respect Mikado Yukari for. She treats me equally when school has passed or the weekend.
“Since most, if not all the students see Shino Yoshika the same way as you spoke of her, then that’s not how a friend would look at her, but that’s how we would see a celebrity or an idol.”

The one part of that sentence I thought about carefully was the fact that even though Shino is respected by all, that is the extent of her relationship with everyone, as far as I’m aware I’ve never seen her with anyone that she considers a close friend.

“Maybe I’m looking at this too deeply, but she seems to be working a lot harder than usual, maybe because of the pressure of being looked at as an idol to all.”

“That… must be pretty hard.”

I guess she’s similar to me, but has reached the same level by doing the exact opposite. For me, I don’t have many friends, but that’s because I hardly ever put any effort into trying and not taking part in school events, however for my case I really didn’t care much about it. For Shino however, saying that she had gotten along with nearly every student in class and taken part in every school event possible, and became famous for it and there is no one on her level to be considered a ‘friend’. Who knows? Maybe she doesn’t have friends outside school.

I’m too low down, and Shino is too high up.

That was my selfish assumption of how I saw Shino Yoshika and myself.

“She comes from a rich family apparently, her parents own two separate businesses, I can’t recall what they were exactly, but according to her records they’re a worldwide business.

“That’s news to me.”

“Like I said, it’s in her records, the again you’d be able to tell if she was from a wealthy family just by looking at her, she’s the kind of person that doesn’t boast about being rich, she really is a kind young girl.”

“Speaking of which, there was a rumour that involved her family last year, but it was a rumour and probably isn’t true.”

“Last year?”

“Not surprising you wouldn’t know being a rumour among teachers, it happened at some point during April during the holiday, she apparently ran away from home for a week during the holidays, whether or not it’s true doesn’t concern us.”

“And why’s that?”

“Because it’s a personal thing, not something to do with school.”

“Thank you teach-“

“It’s alright, you can call me Mika afterschool when no one is around.”

“Shall do then, Mika.” I forced a smile to hide my anxiety.

Ever since I ran from what happened yesterday, I kept asking myself, what am I trying to find out?

“Well, there is one thing I can say about her.”

“What is that?”

“She’s a beautiful young lass, seems like she can attract almost anything, whether it’s a being from another world, or a man on the opposite side of the planet, I get the feeling she can pull that off.”

…Ah.

I can recall it now.

Well known by all.

Everyone is out for her.

“…But I’m not taking any chances.”

“Hm, what was that?”

“Ah, sorry, I remember something I needed to do.”

“You have something other to do then sleep for once?”

“Ha hah very funny, I need to see Mr Kyou.”

“You need to see him for what now?”

“Yeah, I forgot to clean-up his place yesterday, it’s that time of the week and I owe him again.”

“Helping him out is more important than helping me out?” Mikado’s expression was that of a tease.

“His is once a week, not something that I have to do every day like with you.”

Mikado Yukari was a smart person, as I said before she can see through anyone, even me. She could probably tell what I was thinking and what I’m planning on doing now. That’s one of the things I dislike about smart people.

“Is it okay if I leave early for today?” I kept my tone in voice quiet and formal.

“As long as you stay an extra hour with me tomorrow, I’ll allow this for once, hurry on now, you don’t want to keep Kyou waiting.” It was clear by the tone in her voice that she saw through me, yet I’m thankful she doesn’t question it.

Anyway seeing Mr Kyou seems like a good idea, after all, I and Mikado are in depth to him for many things.

“I’ll think up a few ideas for the festival tomorrow, if not then I’ll follow through with whatever you decide on.”

“Thank you Mika, I’m in your depth again.”

“Say hello to Kyou for me.”

“I shall do.”
Note: I've changed Mikado Yukari to Yukari Mikado, I don't know why but I felt that it's more fitting for some reason.
"Everyone in this world has different views to one other, therefor the way we see things 'equally' ourselves, can vary from person to person."
ShadowZeroHeart

No offense, but for the latest Part 02 V2, I was just wondering about the starting.

Instead of putting the exact date, you could just say "The next day", or "Yesterday". Of course, if there is a certain reason why the date is important, it should stay, but you should not write out both "August 9th" and "August 8th" out. And if you want to use date and time consistently throughout the story, you might want to add the dates at the beginning of every chapter/date:

9th August, 9.00AM

like some detective game/novel/drama.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Yea, something where time is important. If you don't think time is important, you can put something like, yesterday, or coming back from my flash back. You know, something more practical. The suggestion Shadow mention is something I'm using in my current one. Because, obviously, time is important.
1,550/3,400
Codex9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Codex9 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:No offense, but for the latest Part 02 V2, I was just wondering about the starting.

Instead of putting the exact date, you could just say "The next day", or "Yesterday". Of course, if there is a certain reason why the date is important, it should stay, but you should not write out both "August 9th" and "August 8th" out. And if you want to use date and time consistently throughout the story, you might want to add the dates at the beginning of every chapter/date:

9th August, 9.00AM

like some detective game/novel/drama.
Rajikai wrote:Yea, something where time is important. If you don't think time is important, you can put something like, yesterday, or coming back from my flash back. You know, something more practical. The suggestion Shadow mention is something I'm using in my current one. Because, obviously, time is important.
That's a really good idea, I think I'm going to use that, time is pretty important for my story as it goes later on, by using this it'll help me when writing later on, and the style fits pretty well, like something in a detective game/novel/drama? I like that hehe, EDIT: added that in on the front page, and under here:

Prologue:
Spoiler! :
00 - 8th August, 5:04PM:

Shino Yoshika is well known for being one of the top students at our school. Smart, athletic, kind, hardworking, and the amount of enthusiasm she puts into school events is staggering. Actually it’s probably better to say respectable. I even remember overhearing that she hasn't missed a single lesson from as far back as kindergarten apparently.

She is a beautiful person.

Her slender body, long silky hair, and perfect looks that put even a model to shame. One would think she’s like any other stuck up girl with an ego to boast on, however this isn’t one bit true.

As first impressions are important, this would only apply upon meeting the person face to face. Anyone who has spoken to Shino Yoshika personally would know that she's a kind hearted person.

Shino is a role model, an idol to nearly all the students at school.

When I say nearly all students, I mean there are the minority that can't look at her that way. For example, a person such as myself.

Maybe it’s because everyone views her in the same image that I couldn’t bring myself to. I may sound paranoid but whenever I see Shino I always get the feeling that she’s hiding something. Things like she may have another personality that she doesn’t show anyone. Maybe she’s part of a dark organization, or even part of some military project bent on creating the perfect human.

I know it’s pathetic to think of a fellow student in such a way, but what I’m trying to say is that being a student with almost no flaws, someone you’d only expect to meet in fictional world, I can’t help but wonder, has there ever been a student like Shino Yoshika before? Are there any other students in the world that can compare to her? There was something about her that stood out more than the average person.

Well, it didn’t matter to me either way.

Shino and I have never conversed before. If I can recall correctly, the only time we have made contact was at the end of the first year. She went around the classroom wishing everyone a new year. Even then it lasted a second between me and her, so I don’t count that as anything.

I’m fine with ending my last year at high school like this. It’s easier for me and easier for everyone else, if you think of it this way, someone you’ve only spoken to once only end up becoming a memory of a person that existed in your life. I have no reason to remember my classmate’s faces and neither should they.

The same probably applies to Shino Yoshika herself.

She couldn’t possibly remember the face of every student in the many years to come after school, can she?

Like I said however, it didn’t concern me one bit.

So much had happened during the last two weeks, all I want to do more than anything is sleep for three days straight without a care in the world.

However,

On this particular day, late afterschool, Thursday where classes have ended for the day, it happened.

August 8th, two days before the half-term holidays, I decided to pack up quicker than usual and hurry on home. Even though there is one more day left until the week off, I just wanted to get home and sleep early for once.

Incidentally the quickest way home is for me to go out the back, where the grass sports fields are.

But, as soon as I took a step outside something unbelievable happened,

Crash!

Something, fell from the sky… It was a car.

That's right, a car crash landed in front of me, being no more than a foot away. To be exact it was thrown from the opposite side of the court.

Impossible, I thought to myself.

How can it be possible for someone to toss a car from one end to the other? Even though I have seen it with my very own eyes, I still find it unbelievable.

When I looked around the car (praying that the car wouldn’t explode due to the impact) my eyes caught a glimpse of that person.

I really wished that I hadn’t looked behind the car to see who tossed it, unfortunately, I made eye contact with that person.

The person who tossed the car was none other than ‘HER’, Shino Yoshika.

Shino was so strong, she was able to toss that car with little to no effort.

The one thing I can say is this, the look in her eyes on that day... was quite demonic.
Part 01:
Spoiler! :
01 - 9th August, 4:33PM:

It’s now one day before the half-term holiday begins. And even though I wanted to pack up quicker than usual and hurry on home, I’m afraid I won’t be this time, not after yesterday’s incident.

Yesterday, I witnessed Shino Yoshika toss a car effortlessly into the air, a few seconds after noticing my presence and after our eyes met, well… she reacted differently from what I had anticipated.

I’ve always had assumed that Shino was the type of person to talk things through or at least take some kind of action towards a situation like this first hand, well, before me at the least.

But instead she did the exact opposite and ran away without uttering a word, and that in itself is what confuses me the most.

“Shino Yoshika?” Yukari Mikado suddenly stopped writing upon hearing my question, “I’m surprised you’re asking me about a student as popular as her, did something happen?”

“Well no… I’m just uh, curious about her background and all.”

Mikado tilts her head, “Hoh, you don’t say?”

“No, I mean well- her name is quite unique, I get the feeling I’ve heard that name before.”

“Shino, meaning ‘stem of bamboo’, and Yoshika, referring to someone whose always deep in thought. Is that what you meant?”

“That’s not what I’m trying to get at, but that is interesting to know Yuka- I mean, teacher.”

“I’m a teacher after all, I only know what’s best for my student,” continuing to smile she averts her gaze towards the window and proceeds by adding, “Oho, curious about little Miss Shino? Do I sense love in the air?”

Yukari Mikado.

She’s my current homeroom teacher and my mother’s little sister in law, firstly I’d like the stress out that the main issue here isn’t the fact that despite her being twenty one years old, she looks like a third year high school student, but at the fact that someone so smart is working in such an average school to begin with.

Short black hair, expensive smart glasses, not too strict with rules as many other teachers are, she is quite scary if you end up in her bad books, and not to mention she’s well respected by bother students and teachers alike.

The dream teacher males sought for, the idol that females aspire to be, that’s Yukari Mikado for you, my aunt in law and loving, caring teacher.

Achieving such a reputation within a year of being here is quite a feat, Yukari was truly a brilliant teacher in the eyes of many, it’s as if she had this mysterious aura around her that makes you think she was born to be a teacher, and that even when she retires, you’d still get the feeling that her teacher like traits would stick to her forever.

Yukari only recently became a teacher for about a year now, not to mention this is her first proper job at this school. After finishing her course at university and getting her degree, she jumped the gun and immediately signed up as a teacher as soon as the option was available. Honestly, I’ve never asked why Yukari chose this place despite being offered much higher class places to attend.

What I trying to say here, is that if she was a student, her grades would probably even top that of Shino Yoshika, and that’s something. Yukari Mikado is just that smart.

I can recall the first day where she introduced herself, and I’ll point this out beforehand, Yukari Mikado is a persistently kind person, the type of person that doesn’t budge one centimetre when she sets her mind onto something. Anyway, back on topic, the first declaration she made to the class on that was:

「“I’ll make sure you become a better person for the future!”」

Anyone would assume that she was referring to the whole class when she said that, that is, if she was standing behind the teacher’s desk at the front. Unfortunately the place where she stood was not the front of the room, but in front of my desk where I was sat.

I was neither a problem child nor a delinquent as far as I’m aware, if I had to best describe myself, I’d say I’m that background character which has no relevance to any class activities taking place, whether I’m there or not wouldn’t make the slightest difference, that’s how I viewed my role in class. So that’s why when Yukari Mikado, my aunt in law and home room teacher declared that she’d make me a ‘better person for the future!’, it came to me as quite a shock.

What got more confusing was how I was forced to become Yukari’s assistant afterschool, and despite plenty of other male students that would have gladly loved this job, all I could do is sigh that I didn’t get a choice and that my afternoons afterschool have been taking away just for cleaning up the classroom and doing other tedious tasks.

And so,

That’s why I’m currently standing here in the staff room, helping Yukari with preparations for our class’s plan for this year’s summer festival. Unlike other schools, this one has a custom of doing a festival every season rather than yearly, which can be a handful considering exams closing around the corner.

“Okay, for the coming festival we need to be wary of our class funds, since this money is to be used all year round and not just for this season. I also think we shouldn’t do anything big since exams are right around the corner.”

Yukari spoke in a formal tone,

“What did you students do during the last two festivals?”

“I believe we used the swimming block for water sports, while the other, we used the field for a sports day.”

“Interesting, we don’t have to spend much using resources we already have, I’ll note that down,”

“Interesting? If you ask me they sound too normal.”

“Hoh, can’t you think of a better word to describe what you’re trying to imply?”

“Hm, then, how about… too cliché?”

"But you do want to see the girls in class in maid outfits don't you?"

The girls in class in maid outfits, thinking about it, I’ve never imagined- I then noticed the smirk on Mikado's face.

“...Please do not ridicule me with such nonsense.”

That’s right, I should act mature like an adult, that’ll shut her up.

“Oh, what is with that pause? Why don’t you just admit your fetish for maids?”

Gah! The words come out faster than I think! I shouldn’t have opened my mouth!

“Is that so? But I recall seeing such magazines under your bed.”

“No, I don't have anything under my bed!”

“Yeah, you keep them in your bookshelf, well-disguised amidst other books right?”

“You seem to be enjoying this, aren’t you Yukari!”

I think my head’s beginning to spin,

“All joking aside, I don’t see anything wrong with using a normal, simple idea is there? In the end it’s something that everyone can enjoy and take part in at a certain degree.”

“I guess so, you put a lot of thought into this don’t you?”

“I’m a teacher after all, I only know what’s best for my students, and with that no one gets left out,” As she continues to flick through her notes she pauses momentarily and raised one eyebrow, “By the way, I found something interesting about Shino since you asked earlier.”

“Huh, what would that be?”

And just like that the topic shifted back to Shino again.

“This all started last year during March, I heard that little Miss Shino didn’t take part in any physical events during previous seasoned festivals. I know that it’s not customary to take part in all events, after all, there are too many events to count for the ordinary student…”

“…Isn’t any ordinary student, is she?”

「“Shino Yoshika is well known for being one of the top students at our school. Smart, athletic, kind, hardworking, and the amount of enthusiasm she puts into school events is staggering.”」

I remember hearing about that, even though she took part in many different events, she avoided physical events, and being a student as popular as her, even something minor like that is noticeable.

I can confirm this, I’ve been in her class for two years straight, and during that time I can point out the various small noticeable stunts she’s pulled.

One for example would be in physical education classes from March onwards, I’ve noticed that she would avoid making physical contact with other female students, and with luck became referee to avoid getting involved. It amazes me how the teacher don’t question her, then again she is a model student so they may not even realise.

Now if I were to say that, and I know this sounds really stupid but let’s say hypothetically speaking, that Shino Yoshika had superhuman strength, and I mean to an extent where she is capable of throwing a car to across the length of a football court.

Bear with me for a moment, now using this ridiculous theory let’s say with strength like that, she was unable to control her own physical strength and, as a result conflicts with most of her physical activities, like kicking a football would equal the same as firing a cannon ball, or playing dodge ball would result in some serious injuries, I can make a list of cases where this would conflict.

If this happened to be true, then wouldn’t hiding a secret like that be considered very difficult, especially when you’re a popular student like Shino that the slightest factor like being late for class end up becoming the talk of the school.
And as supporting evidence to prove this ridiculous theory, I need to ask myself, everything that I witnessed yesterday, was it real?

“Are you okay? You seem very concerned about Shino, did something happen to her?” Mikado questioned me after a very short silence.

“Hm? No, nothing’s happened, I was just curious and all.”

I lied.

I didn’t want to drag anyone into this, especially Yukari Mikado of all people.

Plus, it’s a secret Shino has seemingly kept hidden for a year now, and I doubt anyone would believe me if I told them about her.

“Do I sense love in the air? Is that why you were spacing out just then?” Mikado teased.

“You’re wrong, completely wrong! It’s that-”

However, when I think about it,

“She’s a hardworking alright, but…”

She is defiantly like any other hardworking student, any can say that much of course.

But after witnessing what happened yesterday, I don’t think I can see Shino as just any ‘hard working student’. Her studies, her grades, everything she works hard for, alongside all that she continues to conceal that secret from everybody else. Her friends, her family even, everyone, if she tried to keep it a secret from everyone, then…

“…I think she’s overworking herself.”

Looking back at the scene yesterday, I can say with relief that I’m glad I wasn’t crushed by that car, being one foot away and all.

“What makes you think that?”

“I mean after all, you’ve been in the same class as her for two years in a row right?”

“Well… that’s –”

“Not only that, if she overworking herself, wouldn’t you think she would have spoken to the teachers or consulted any stress related issues with close friends and family?”

“-That’s… probably true.”

“How about I reverse our positions on the topic then?”

“Huh, what do you mean?”

“I’ll ask you the question you asked me, what is it you can tell me about Shino Yoshika?”

“Um, let’s see, Shino Yoshika, someone that is well, respected by both teachers and students alike, always reaching top marks in nearly all subjects, and has perfect attendance during her three years of being here.”

“I see, however I already knew that, I was referring to stuff that I wouldn’t know.”

There was that incident from yesterday, but I can’t bring myself to say that.

“I might have been in her class for two years, but it’s a given I wouldn’t know anything personal about someone I’ve never spoken to.”

“I suppose so.”

“Not to mention I’m still trying to clear my head from what happened two weeks back.”

“Two weeks ago?”

“Ignore that, that’s off topic sorry, please continue.”

“Well… okay then. Like I mentioned before, there isn’t much else about Shino that can be said aside from the common stuff everyone knows, from the looks of it, if you want to know more about her, I think you should speak to her in person.”

In the end I’ll eventually have to meet with Shino face to face, even if Yukari tells me not to.

“And even though I shouldn’t say this, I get the feeling she’s hiding something, it might be something trivial or something personal, but she has an air around her suggesting that she’s the type to keep secrets.”

I was surprised that Yukari thought the same way about Shino like I did. It’s one of the many factors I respect Yukari Mikado for, being able to see through people.

“I’m going to tell you this as a close friend rather than a student.”

A little off topic note, afterschool Yukari and I treat each other as friends rather than student and teacher, again, it’s another factor that I respect her for.

“Since most, if not all the students see Shino Yoshika the same way as you described her, then isn’t that no different than an idol or celebrity?”

「“Shino Yoshika, someone that is well, respected by both teachers and students alike,”」

Looking back at the comment I made a moment ago, I’ve realised that despite being respected by many, is that the extent of her relationship with everyone? Every person she’s spoken to, the people she’s worked with in class and taken part within events, I’ve never seen her with anyone that I assume was a close friend of Shino Yoshika.

If the assumption that she has no close friends is true, then that would make her the opposite to me. For me, I don’t have many friends, mainly because I hardly put any effort into trying and I hardly get involved with school activities, I really didn’t care. Shino however, has put a lot of effort getting along with everyone and trying her best in school activities, because of the way everyone looked up to her, there was no one on her level to be considered a ‘friend’.

I’m at the bottom, Shino is at the top.

That was my selfish assumption of how I compared Shino Yoshika and myself.

“She’s certainly a mystery, inside and outside of school.”

“Ah, outside of school? Is there anything about her outside from school?”

“Before you ask, I ain’t telling you her phone number.”

“That’s not what I wanted to know.”

“Hoh, I ain’t telling you her address either.”

“You make a living out of teasing me so much, don’t you?”

All she does is smile aimlessly.

“In all seriousness, I can’t tell you anything that’s in her school records for legal reasons, bur I can tell you about a rumour that was mentioned among the teachers.”

A rumour among the teachers?

“During the April holidays last year, it was rumoured that she ran away from home for around a week, but it’s an incident that we chose not to dwell upon.”

“And why’s that?”

“Because it’s a personal thing, not something that involves the school.”

“I see.”

“I’m afraid that’s all I know, I’m sorry I couldn’t provide much else.”

“No, that’s helped me quite a bit to be fair, thanks teach-”

“Yukari, you’re allowed to call me Yukari afterschool when no other student is around.”

“Okay, I’ll do that, Yukari.” I couldn’t help but force a smile to hide my anxiety.

Ever since that incident yesterday, I kept asking myself, what was I trying to figure out?

How am I supposed to approach her?

Do I even know the cause of her problem?

And if so, what should I do then?

“But my overall view of her won’t change.” Yukari spoke out to break the silence.

“Your overall view?”

“Little Miss Shino’s existence… is a really attractive one to say the least.”

Ah.

That might be it.

Well known by all.

And a slight chance that, someone was out for her.

“…But I’m not taking any chances this time.”

“Sorry, did you say something?”

“Yukari, I remember there was something very important I needed to do.”

“Something other than sleeping~!?”

“Why do you look so shocked! Is it that surprising!?”

Calm down, I don’t have time for this.

“I need to see Mr Kyou, it’s pretty important.”

“Hoh, is that so?”

“Yeah, I forgot to clean up his place yesterday, and I have work he wants me to finish.”

“And helping him out is more important than helping me out?” Mikado’s expression was that of a tease.

“As long as you come into school tomorrow for an hour to help out, then I’ll allow this for once, hurry one now, you don’t want to keep Kyou waiting then.” It was clear that she saw through me, yet I’m thankful she doesn’t question it.

“Thank you Yukari, I’m in your debt again.”

“Yeah, yeah,” She shakes her hand telling me to shoo, “Say hello to Kyou when you’re there.”

“Shall do.”
Codex9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Codex9 »

I remember back then when I said I'd do the next part asap, seems like university priorities lasted longer than I had thought (they still are):

So now I had time to work on the next part, so sorry for the delay and thoughts on it? All kinds of criticism is welcomed, I'm going to try and work on this as best as I can (and hopefully in the long run become a better writer):

Part 02: (technically 03, just that I renamed the sub headings on the front page)
Spoiler! :
02 - 9th August, 4:49PM:

Walking out of the staffroom, I close the door behind me, then after taking ten steps I started running down the empty corridor.

I figured that if I wait out the back entrance, there’s a chance Shino may pass by there, that or the possibility that she tries avoiding me by going out the front way, regardless I didn’t have much choice but guess, cause in the end, I can’t be in two places at once.

I jump down the set of stairs before me, taking a left turn and continuing down the end of the corridor.

If Shino doesn’t appear, I’ll head down to Mr. Kyou’s place without her, if she does however, I’ll need to convince her.

“Almost there…” I said to myself as I reach out to open the back door, taking a few steps outsides.

“What were you talking about with Mikado back there?” Asked a voice from behind, I suddenly stopped running and-

!!?

I felt a huge force of wind fly right by my head, no, that’s not a good enough way to describe it, the best way is to say that a bullet train past my head, with a few centimeters away from contact.

“! Guh-!!”

Suddenly I felt a tight grip tightly clawing the back of my head, I froze on the spot, feeling like I’m being held at gun point.

“Don’t move if you know what’s best for you.”

I recognize that voice without a doubt. In fact, it would have been very surprising if someone from our school couldn’t tell whose voice that was.

“Shino… Yoshika…”

Out of all situations, this was defiantly the most unexpected one that I had in mind for our first meeting.

“My oh my, so you know who I am? Then that saves me a bit of time.”

I want to turn around, but my body was refused to move, shaking in fear. And no, it wasn’t because of her strength, it wasn’t because of her powerful grip, I was well aware of what she’s capable off, the truth was that I was scared that the Shino Yoshika standing behind me was acting completely different from the ‘stereotyped’ image I imaged.

Recall what I said before? How I thought that maybe she had another personality that she doesn’t show anyone? Well, I take that back, I wish I was wrong.

“Don’t seem so surprised, this is who I really am, now I want you to keep your mouth shut, why don’t you use that ‘head’ of yours kay?”

“!” The grip at the back of my head had gotten tighter.

That’s it, when this is all over I’m going to lock myself in the house for the rest of the holiday.

“You’ve been doing a lot of snooping haven’t you? Going around asking questions regarding me, my, isn’t that a bit rude?”

“U-um… Oi…”

“Oh? Sorry, that wasn’t a question, after all, you’re not supposed to talk, are we clear?”

?!! I felt a sharp and painful grip around my left arm, Shino pulled it back and held my arm towards to my back, from the way it looks now, she could easily pin me down to the ground without effort.

I was closing my eyes hoping Shino wouldn’t do anything more.

“You’re not allowed to speak, alright?”

“…” I didn’t know how to reply, speaking now would only contradict what she just said.

“Nod for yes, shake for no, are we clear now?”

“…” I nod once.

「“Anyone who has spoken to Shino Yoshika personally would know that she's a kind hearted person.”」

Dear God, I can’t believe I’ve been in the same class as her this entire time, I really, really thought she was a kind hearted person, but that isn’t true at all! Not where I’m standing at the moment!

In fact, I’m scared, terrified even! The last time I’ve been this scared was when I got fillings put in at the dentist!

“I was surprised that anyone else uses the backdoor here, I thought I was the only one.”

“…”

Actually, plenty of people do, however in their case they use the back entrance at 3 o’clock when school ends, which leads me to believe you wait until late afterschool to leave right? Hence meeting me at that time.

“I never expected a mosquito flying around, I don’t sit too well with bugs, that scared the hell in me, so that’s why…”

“…”

What is this girl going on about? Mosquitos? Ahaha, there is no way she’s referring to-

“…sigh, that’s why I tossed the car.” Shino said whilst yawning.

Oi! Don’t say that with such a bored expression! You can’t be serious! Is that your real reason for doing that?! I refuse to believe this! Let me yell or make a jab at the very least!

So, it seems that my life is in the hands of a girl that apparently dislikes bugs, okay, sure, I’ll play along with that for now.

“…”

“You’ve must have noticed already, in fact, there is no way you wouldn’t have by now.”

The bored tone from her voice, it seems like she’s been in a similar situation before, if you take into consideration the many students there are, the chances are that I’m just ‘another person’ to her, another person whose stumbled upon Shino Yoshika’s secret.

“That’s right, I’m inhumanly strong.”

That’s right,

Her strength was indeed monstrously strong.

“Even though I say that, it should be physically impossible to have this much power, and based on my build and body structure, I simply don’t have enough muscle on to throw a car.”

From my guesses the heaviest object she could pick up is the teacher’s desk maybe?

!? She tightens her grip on both my head and arm.

“!”

“Don’t think of me so lightly, you were probably guessing what someone with my build is capable of lifting right?”

Wow, your guess was spot on.

“I’ve tested the full extent of my strength you know. Back in April it was, there was a day where the city shook for a few seconds, lucky no one got injured that day, but it isn’t exactly pretty when I’m the one who was responsible for it.”

An earthquake…

Your telling me you’re capable of causing an earthquake!?

I can’t even bring myself to imagine such a scene, rather, what was I doing when the city ‘shook’? No wait, that isn’t what’s supposed to concern me right now, my main worry now is how much I misjudged her strength by a large margin.

By what I mean is that if that’s the case, then being hit by a car would be nothing compared to a punch from Shino.

“…”

“Well, despite having this much strength, I don’t feel any different from when I was still considered ‘normal’, the main difference is that I feel like a giant when I make physical contact with another person, the difference between us is too much to handle.”

“…”

The laws of physics don’t apply with Shino?! Or actually, let’s say the average adult’s strength is 1/10th, but when I am to imagine her strength then it would probably be 10/100th, that’s beyond basic logic, it’s just not possible for the human body to reach such a state.

So that’s why it’s physically impossible for her.

“…”

If her body wasn’t in that state, then she would have been seriously injured, if you take into consideration her build, no matter how you look at it, she isn’t capable of lifting a car, yet alone throw one across a football field.

“Sigh, what am I going to do with you.”

I’m not allowed to speak, therefore it’s seemingly not possible to talk my way out of this situation, aside from that, something else is bothering me, I’ve always been under the impression that Shino is the type that is really good with secrets, despite this, why is she telling me all about her strength?

“It happened a year ago ya know,” Shino spoke in a serious tone, “it was one week during the holidays, I wandered off to the village temple, to be honest I wasn’t expecting anything to happen at, now that I think about it, I don’t think anyone could have imagined such a situation to occur.”

Shino paused for a few seconds,

“…?”

“I met a monster.”

Wait what, monster? That’s not very specific at all, a monster as in the ones you see in a horror movie? Or was she describing a person as a monster? What is this girl trying to say? Importantly, what did it look like?

“That ‘thing’ gave me this abnormal power… to this day I still can’t get my head around what happened, it’s all a blur to me.”

“…”

“Oh, I don’t expect you to understand, you’d only continue to annoy me if you keep asking questions which is why I’m telling you now, okay Kazuko? Kazuko, Su-gi-ura~”

Aside the creepy pronunciation of my name, that’s probably the first person, excluding my family to call me by my full name, as flattering as I’d imagine it would be, it’s pretty damn scary, especially where I stand right now.

On another note, it seems Shino really can remember people’s name’s pretty well.

“It seems the only other person who knows about my strength is well, no one at all, just you Kazuko.”

That’s surprising, her expression and way of acting felt well planned, I find it hard to believe I’m the only one…

“Not even my parents know, luckily they’re busy with their jobs so it wasn’t that bad, ever since last year, I’ve managed to keep this a secret from everyone up until now.”

“…!”

“What should I do to make you keep your mouth shut? I know I sound like the bad guy here, but the “needs of many, outweigh the needs of the few” was it? What I really want to do is help others, even if it means having to do this to just you.”

Hey now, is this person okay? Has she broken down? Is this her true personality? I can’t tell heads or tails anymore, it seems I’ve been in the same class with a sadist for the last two years.

Or maybe she’s pretending? The only thing I’m certain about right now is that I’m scared stiff because of Shino Yoshika.

“You’re probably wondering if I’ve ever asked for help? My answer is no, if I was to see a doctor or anyone for that matter and this gets leaked, it’d be the talk of the century.”

“…”

Eh? For a moment there, I let my guard down, my body suddenly relaxed.

Not asking for help?

Not even her parents?

Not even to a close friend?

What tough choices did she have to make? How far did she go to hide her secret? How many people did she have to lose for this?

How did Shino Yoshika feel about having to go through all that?

“I don’t want you to pity me, but it’s rather late to say that isn’t it? I don’t want it, I find it disgusting.”

“…”

“So moving back on what I originally wanted to ask you, Kazuko…”

! Shino suddenly let go of the back of my head tugging my left arm turning me around and pulled me towards her face, and speaking in a soft tone she said,

“Could you please not tell anyone my secret?”

As if I had any other choice in this situation.

I nodded once.

This was a one sided battle, I had no say in this whatsoever.

“I’m so relieved.”

She let out a sigh, seemingly satisfied with my reply.

That’s strange isn’t it? It was a one sided request and no matter how I looked at it I was in a situation where I couldn’t say no, and yet, she’s relieved with my reply.

“Thanks, you have my gratitude.” And with that she lowered the arm she had at the back of my head, after that was the right arm, which was gripping even tighter around my ar-

“Ga-!?!!”

Crack.

That’s insane,

Shino tightened her grip with so much force, she broke my left arm in the process,

It took a moment to sink in, but as soon as she let go, the pain was excruciating and I fell onto both my knees in pain.

I couldn’t feel my left arm at all.

Snap, my arm literally broke, I can’t move my arm, yet alone feel it, only the shocking pain being sent through my whole body was what left me quivering on the ground.

“!!!!....Argh…!”

I’m clutching my arm tightly.

“My, aren’t you a tough person, not screaming or shouting in pain.” Shino yawned, with a bored expression.

“…!!!”

“That’s the least I can do to repay you, starting tomorrow you don’t speak with me, nor do you let anyone know about my little secret~ okay?”

“Gah-ah!!!”

Crunch,

The sound came from her knuckles.

Her tightened fist was more than enough to prevent me from having any say in this. She hasn’t even laid her hand on me and I’m scared looking like a fool.

“No, no, no, you’re not allowed to speak remember?”

One step,

Two steps,

Three steps,

Four steps,

I stared at the ground and averting my gaze from Shino, and slowly I can hear footsteps of her getting further and further away, until there was no one else around.

“…Wow, what a scary, scary women.”

I can now establish that Shino Yoshika was hiding something

I slowly gather my strength and look down the corridor from outside.

“…”

Ah well.

I guess I could consider myself lucky, after all, for a person that can shake the world in a practical sense, she could have torn my arm off if she wanted, thinking it like that way was pretty damn scary.

That’s okay though.

I’ve been through a lot worse…

As I stood up, I reach out to touch my left arm to see if I can still feel anything.

“!!”

I felt a sharp pain fly through my dangling left arm, there was no blood luckily.

That’s right, this pain means nothing to me.

I stood looking around to see if anyone else was around, since it was pretty late, I’d doubt anyone else would be around, and if there was, I pray for that person’s luck… I really do.

All jokes aside, enough time has passed since my arm broke, and now I’ve cleared my head, I got an idea of what I need to do.

Back then, specifically three weeks ago, if the me from back then had to deal with this, I’d probably run away from this situation.

That’s what the average person would do right?

But, I’ve been through a lot worse, for two whole weeks to be exact, through hell and back.

Shino’s actions, her methods, it reminded me of back then, it reminded me of a certain individual I failed to save,

「“I'm sorry, I can’t save you...”」

And Shino… was someone calling for help, she’s acting the exact same way that person did, but this time I can help her.

“All right, my arm… should have healed by now.”

During those two weeks back then, I met an immortal being.

After I shook my arm, I started to chase after Shino Yoshika once more.
Also,
Just a quick question here, are we allowed to post outside links? I mean, I have a blog which has been set up, but just wondering if it's okay to put up here?
ShadowZeroHeart

Now it seems just like Bakemonogatari...

blog links seems possible, some people do post them.
The laws of physics don’t apply with Shino?! Or actually, let’s say the average adult’s strength is 1/10th, but when I am to imagine her strength then it would probably be 10/100th, that’s beyond basic logic, it’s just not possible for the human body to reach such a state.
I have no idea what this 1/10 and 10/100 means... Can someone explain to me?

that aside, there are too many "..." for the main char, you can reduce the numbers.

I am in school now, so I will give more comments when I am a little more free. Sorry about that.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Codex9
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Codex9 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Now it seems just like Bakemonogatari...

Looking at it now, kinda does now, oh dear.. that's a big problem, I didn't even realize the comparison until you mentioned it just now, I may have to consider a re-write, or continue since the plans story-wise go down a different direction.

As for the blog, I'll post mine when I get this story working and properly made.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:I have no idea what this 1/10 and 10/100 means... Can someone explain to me?

that aside, there are too many "..." for the main char, you can reduce the numbers.

I am in school now, so I will give more comments when I am a little more free. Sorry about that.
That was a mistake on my part, I was meant to say 9/10th of a human's strength comparison, as 10/100 has the same meaning as 1/10, I'll change that when I get back from university.

As for "..." I'll cut them down, didn't know when to place them and such.

And I'm looking forward to more of your comments ShadowZeroHeart, I really honestly appreciate it, thank you.
ShadowZeroHeart

Codex9 wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Now it seems just like Bakemonogatari...

Looking at it now, kinda does now, oh dear.. that's a big problem, I didn't even realize the comparison until you mentioned it just now, I may have to consider a re-write, or continue since the plans story-wise go down a different direction.

As for the blog, I'll post mine when I get this story working and properly made.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:I have no idea what this 1/10 and 10/100 means... Can someone explain to me?

That was a mistake on my part, I was meant to say 9/10th of a human's strength comparison, as 10/100 has the same meaning as 1/10, I'll change that when I get back from university.

As for "..." I'll cut them down, didn't know when to place them and such.

And I'm looking forward to more of your comments ShadowZeroHeart, I really honestly appreciate it, thank you.
Well, no offense, but I may seem harsh at times...

Here goes:
after taking ten steps I started running down the empty corridor.
If the number ten is not really of much importance, then you can just say "after taking several steps down the corridor, I began running." perhaps?
If Shino doesn’t appear, I’ll head down to Mr. Kyou’s place without her, if she does however, I’ll need to convince her.
This sentence sounds as though the protagonist has asked Shino to go with him to Mr. Kyou's place, so its a little weird. Similarly, nothing is mentioned about what you want to convince her about.
I felt a huge force of wind fly right by my head, no, that’s not a good enough way to describe it, the best way is to say that a bullet train past my head, with a few centimeters away from contact.
a bullet train past my head. I am not sure if you meant it was like a bullet train has flew past your head, but either way, the description seems weird. You might be trying to say that a bullet just flew by your head? I am not sure if you can really feel such a bullet though.
Similar to my first comment. You might want to just say her strength might be 100 times that of an average man? Instead of saying 1/10 or 10/100 etc.
“You’re probably wondering if I’ve ever asked for help? My answer is no, if I was to see a doctor or anyone for that matter and this gets leaked, it’d be the talk of the century.”
She seems really strange to be talking to herself, because the protagonist never said anything, and she just kept talking. This part makes it sound as though its a conversation...
“Could you please not tell anyone my secret?”
Given their current conditions, she should probably use a more forceful tone, such as "You probably understand what happens if you dare say a word about this, don't you?" The entire conversation might have to change. Also, it seems really weird for her to talk all about her secrets, and then politely ask you to keep quiet.

I guess I could consider myself lucky, after all, for a person that can shake the world in a practical sense, she could have torn my arm off if she wanted, thinking it like that way was pretty damn scary.
"in a practical sense" I believe you meant to say "literally" which means as the word(s) implies.

With regards to bakemonogatari, if you read it, the female lead had a secret hidden from her parents as well, neglected by her family. The protagonist too met an immortal being, and the immortal being was not exactly saved, more like everyone was in misery. It was also a few weeks back before the story as well. The female lead threatens protagonist, with a stapler and some stationary. Yours threatens with brute strength. Both bakemonogatari and your protagonist seems to have exceptional healing capabilities. Overall, they are very very similar.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Creative works”