Original Light Novel: Tuned World (not official name)

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

shadowNdusk
Astral Realm

Original Light Novel: Tuned World (not official name)

Post by shadowNdusk »

I'm writing my first novel, and I want you guys to give me some feedback on this. Also if you have a better title than this, I'd would like to read some of them. Here's a summary/prologue of what's my story is about.

In the year 20XX, a scientist that goes by the name <Zero> was inventing an item that allows the human body to be compressed into data. It was said to be the next stage into making a virtual reality game. But it failed. As a result, the world was submerged into data. A mysterious surge of light came out of the item and caused countless deaths of people. This became known as the [Blue Flare Night]. [Noise] and [Noise Witches] were created as a result. [Noise] are beings of data that are like parasites to our world. [Noise Witches] are once humans who now controls them. [Tuners] are a group of people who have joined together to protect those who can not fend for themselves. For 500 years, the [Tuners] have been at constant war with the [Noise].
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Original Light Novel: Tuned World (not official name)

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Firstly, I would say that if you are that interested, you probably should register an account at the forums.

That aside, your story don't seem too original, with some ideas like Regios and the NDS game "The World Ends With You" put together. Too little is known to really comment on the story, but nowadays I personally think stories revolving some MMORPG or alike is really boring, and is hard to write. I would suggest you to consider creating it in a new fantasy world instead. The story that you come up with is yours and yours to create, change and shape. Set up your own world, and perform your miracles, that will probably do more good than trying to force a "scientific reasoning" to what we have in reality and twist it so you can write your story.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
shadowNdusk
Astral Realm

Post by shadowNdusk »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Firstly, I would say that if you are that interested, you probably should register an account at the forums.

That aside, your story don't seem too original, with some ideas like Regios and the NDS game "The World Ends With You" put together. Too little is known to really comment on the story, but nowadays I personally think stories revolving some MMORPG or alike is really boring, and is hard to write. I would suggest you to consider creating it in a new fantasy world instead. The story that you come up with is yours and yours to create, change and shape. Set up your own world, and perform your miracles, that will probably do more good than trying to force a "scientific reasoning" to what we have in reality and twist it so you can write your story.
It's true that it has some similarities with "The World Ends With You", though I have no Idea what Regios is. I'll try to think of another name for the data beings. I think creating a different world will be harder for me, but I'm just going to say it'll take place in the future. I am changing the story a little to make the story flow. I do have two alternate version of the first chapter. one is completed, the other is still in work of progress. Anyways thanks for the advice. I appreciate that. I'll make an account right away.
ShadowZeroHeart

shadowNdusk wrote: I have no Idea what Regios is.
I am talking about "Chrome Shelled Regios", a novel series that is translated and hosted on B-T, take a read of it if you can find the time.

Not all details has been revealed up to where I have read, but the story talks about a place where wishes can come true, and when some people entered this place, their wishes were somehow twisted, causing the world that the story takes place to become the way it is, or something to that extent. It is rather complicated, but in quite a few ways, it is similar to your idea. Just as you have tuners, they have special martial artists. Just as you have Noise, they have special monsters/nanomachines that runs on semi-auto-AI. Your Noise Witches may be similar to those who had made their wishes in that special place.

I do not know of the actual plot and idea of the story in your mind, so you probably have to tell us more about your story before we can give further comments. Anyway, good luck with your story.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
shadowNdusk
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shadowNdusk »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
shadowNdusk wrote: I have no Idea what Regios is.
I am talking about "Chrome Shelled Regios", a novel series that is translated and hosted on B-T, take a read of it if you can find the time.

Not all details has been revealed up to where I have read, but the story talks about a place where wishes can come true, and when some people entered this place, their wishes were somehow twisted, causing the world that the story takes place to become the way it is, or something to that extent. It is rather complicated, but in quite a few ways, it is similar to your idea. Just as you have tuners, they have special martial artists. Just as you have Noise, they have special monsters/nanomachines that runs on semi-auto-AI. Your Noise Witches may be similar to those who had made their wishes in that special place.

I do not know of the actual plot and idea of the story in your mind, so you probably have to tell us more about your story before we can give further comments. Anyway, good luck with your story.
I'll post up the first chapter mostly over the weekend.
shadowNdusk
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shadowNdusk »

Version 1
Spoiler! :
Chapter 1
A Turn of Fate
"Seiji, Seiji! Wake up!"
"Five more minutes."
"If you don't, I'll release that embarrassing picture of you in 2nd grade on the internet."
"I'm up!"
"Geez, you slept through 5th and 6th period that it was impossible to wake you up. Even the teacher couldn't wake you up."
"Sorry."
"Let's go. I have a surprise to give you."
"Why? What is it?"
"Just come with me to my house."
"Eh!...Fine."

My name is Azuma Seiji. This person here is my childhood friend, Mizuki Ayumi. For some unknown reason, we both have the same rare blood type not of the four common blood types. Scientist have called our blood type EX. At the start of Ayumi's High school career, she was the most popular girl in school. I've never been interested in dating but there are some rumors in school that we are. It makes it a bit hard to talk to her durring school. She's part of the student council and the president of the martial arts club. Now these days, we haven't been hanging out together a lot lately. For some unknown reason, we both have the same rare blood type not of the four common blood types. Scientist have called our blood type EX.

We arrived in front of her house.

"Hey, what did you want to give me?"
"Ah, it arrived."
"Huh?"
"Here you go?"
"What's in this box?"
"This is a prototype of the new gaming system from [Zero's Industry]"
"No way! The company that made 'Eternal's Wish'?"
"Yes."
"And we get to test this out?!".
"Of cource. My father does work for him so we can test this out."
"Thanks."
"Read the instruction manual before you start downloading."
"Okay. I guess I'll go home now. See ya."
"See you in the game."

I ran strait home just to test the system.

"Let's see here. Here's the manual."

The box came with a chocker and a pair of goggle looking thing. Aparently this game system will make the human mind blank durring downloading. During the game, if I put on this chocker before I start the game, I can get out of the game anytime by pressing the button on the chocker. All I need to do is to lie down on the bed and wait.

A start download screen pop up. I push the start button and like the manual said, Our minds went blank.

Downloading....................................................................................................

........................................................................................................................Finished.

My mind came back to its senses, almost. I can't see anything. I was carried by an unknown person, but I can't move an inch of my body. I can only overhear the conversation taking place.

"Hey, now what do we do with these two children <Zero>?"
"Put them into those pods overthere."
"Alright."
"Blood Type EX. I have already concluded that this blood type can grant eternal life. This machine will allow me to extract the blood and use it to make me invincible. For the sake of the world, I hope these kids don't mind dying, right?"

What!!! Why should I die for something so selfish. Sake of the world, yeah right old man, I think.

"Let's start this up."

It hurts! Electricity is flowing through me. My blood is pumping out of my body. I don't want to die yet. Wait Blood Type EX, Did they kidnapped Ayumi too? I don't know. I just want to scream. Looks like I'm about to die.

Mysterious Voice: " A human mind trapped between this cluster of [data]? *chuckle* You proved to be quite an interesting being.*chuckle* I'll create a new life for you. I want to see what you can do in this corrupt world. Awaken."

I woke up lying on the ground.

"Where am I? Didn't I die?"

I realise that my voice is a lot higher than before. I look at my body and it was that of an eight year old.

"What's with my body. Why do I have the body of an eight year old? How did I manage to revive?"

I look ath the ground of my feet. There was a magic circle inscribed on the ground.

"What is this anyway."

Looking around, I was in the middle of the woods, outside of a wooden toolshed. I heard some noise from some bushes. Creatures came out of the bushes. They don't look like they want to play so I ran towards the toolshed.

"What are those? They don't look normal to me."

Looking around the tool shed, it seems to be full of weapons.

"Should I use these to survive? I have no where to go anyway.."

I look around for a weapon to choose. I came across a scythe and pick it up. In the corner of my eye, there were three spheres labled as 'Defend', 'Skill', and 'Items.'.

"What is this anyway? I don't think I'm in my own world anymore. I should try to fight."

I rushed outside prepared to fight. I started to use the 'skill' function to see what skills I can do. I only have three skills. I chose <Berserk> to see what it does. Immediately, my body began to move by itself. Like floating in the sky, I slash the creatures.

"So that what it does. I should hurry out of this woods."

I quickly made out of the woods.

" *pant* *pant* I finally made it outside."

I saw a shadow of a person, I tried to call for help but then more creatures ambush me.

"Now is not a good time."

Looking at my skills list again, this time I use <Dark Spiral>. I twirl the scythe in a vertical direction above my head. An black energy surged out of the weapon. It instantly wiped almost all the creatures surrounding me. Just by thinking 'Defend', I can instantly defend an attack that I can clearly see it comming. I continue to fight til the last one was over. I then collapse. A man bend over me. The sun blinded my eyes so I couldn't see the face clearly.

"Hey! Are you still alive?"

I nodded yes

"That was some good fighting for shuch a little kid."
"Of cource.."
"So who are you?"
"Azuma Seiji."
"Okay, and what were you doing here."
"Don't know. I just awoke in the middle of the woods."
"Okay, well have you ever thought about becomming a [Tuner]. You show great fighting abilities."
"What are [Tuners]."
"You seriously don't know."
"Of cource I don't know about anything in this world, how I'm still alive, and why is the Blood Type EX grants eternal life.
"Blood Type EX !!! The one that made Zero invincible."
"I think that's the old man's name."
"Just who are you?"
"Carrier of the Blood Type EX. Need more info."
"I'm good. but what year did you came from because the Blood Type EX only comes around every thousand years."
"I was in the year 2018."
"Well this is the year 2518 for your information."
"So it's been 500 years. What happened in these past 500 years?"
"I'd rather show you than tell. I have a recording of the news report of from that year.."

He played me a video of a newscast using some floating screen technology.

"I'm here outside of the Zero's Industry, where a blue mysterious collum of light shined right here. As you can see, the whole building has been completely demolished. Two students, Azuma Seiji and Mizuki Ayumi, have, unfortunately, was kidnapped while testing a game system and was brought here.. We believed that they are also dead. Wait, something is coming out of the rubble. What is that thing. Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The creature in the newscast broke the camera before we could see what else was happening. I was almost left speechless, but I had many questions.

"So that's what happened. What about <Zero>."
"<Zero> has kidnapped you in order to gain eternal life right. He is still alive and wanted for crimes against humanity."
"So <Zero> is still alive. What about the thing in the video?"
"You should find that out by yourself. You'll find out if you enroll in the [Tuners Academy]. It'll give you all the information you need and the oppertunity to track down <Zero>."
I thought about it for a while.
"Fine, It's not like I have anywhere else to go."
"Okay then. I'll prepare a house for you to live in and enroll you into a school. It's been 500 years for you so technology has advance greatly. I'll show you an example. Teleport system, online."

A glowing beam of light came off the ground.

"Well step inside. I'll take you to your new home in Central Tokyo."

Eight years later...

"Seiji-kun, Seiji-kun. Wake up!"
I felt an elbow slammed against my stomach.
Seiji:"Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Haruka:"Good, you're awake."
Seiji:"What was that for, Haruka!"
Haruka:"You wouldn't wake up"
Seiji:"You couldn't wake me up in a less painful way."
Haruka:"Oh yeah. Well I couldn't. Beside, we have to go to school now."
Seiji:"Is it really that late.."
Haruka:"Hurry up!"
Seiji:"Alright, then, Transport system online!!!"
Haruka:"Transport system online!!"

This person here is Nichijou Haruka. Since comming here to Central Tokyo, she helped me to get the basics of this world. She has no idea of my past but she accepted me as a friend. It's been eight years now since I came into the future. Not a huge difference in culture but I've learned a lot of new things about this world. Due to the events after <Zero> kidnapped me,trying to make himself invincible, the world was submerged into data. <Zero> tried to conquer the world with new beings of data to support him. They are the [Noise] and [Witches]. [Noise] are beings of data that are like parasites to our world. [Witches] are once humans who now controls the [Noise]. There are a group of people who have been at war for 500 years with them. They are known as [Tuners]. The school [Tuners Academy] teaches potential [Tuners] the history of the world, and how to fight.

We enter the classrom just about when class started. The teacher began homeroom with an announcement.

Teacher:" Today we will begin the test for the qualifications of a [Tuner]. Before we can begin, first we'll introduce a new transfer student. Come on in, Mizuki."
Ayumi: "Hello, My name is [Mizuki Ayumi]."
Version 2
Spoiler! :
Chapter 1
Childhood Memories
Mysterious Voice: " A human mind trapped between this cluster of [Noise]? *chuckle* You proved to be quite an interesting being considering your the only human to have survived the [Blue Flare Night]. I'll create a new life for you. I want to see what you can do in this corrupt world. Do we have a deal?"
"Seiji-kun, Seiji-kun. Wake up!"
I felt an elbow slammed against my stomach.
Seiji:"Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Haruka:"Good, you're awake."
Seiji:"What was that for, Haruka!"
Haruka:"You wouldn't wake up"
Seiji:"You couldn't wake me up in a less painful way."
Haruka:"Never mind that. Beside, you're forgetting that today's an important day for us."
Seiji:"Oh yeah. Today's the day we can finally become [Tuners]."
Haruka:"Well, if you know, then hurry up!"
Seiji:"Alright, then, Transport system online!!!"
Haruka:"Transport system online!!"
Soon after we arrived at the [Tuners Academy]. This school is a place where people come to train as [Tuners]. You see, in the year 20XX, a scientist that goes by the name <Zero> was inventing an item that allows the human body to be compressed into data. It was said to be the next stage into making a virtual reality game. But it failed. As a result, the world was submerged into data. A mysterious surge of light came out of the item and caused countless deaths of people. This became known as the [Blue Flare Night]. [Noise] and [Noise Witches] were created as a result. [Noise] are beings of data that are like parasites to our world. [Noise Witches] are once humans who now controls them. [Tuners] are a group of people who have joined together to protect those who can not fend for themselves. This is why [Tuners] exist. For 500 years, the [Tuners] have been at constant war with the [Noise].
My name is Azuma Seiji. This lively girl is Nichijou Haruka. Haruka and I have been friends since childhood. Since comming to Central Tokyo, Haruka always breaks into my house just to make sure I wouldn't be late for school. As kids, we've always admire the [Tuners] like every other child on Earth. Now we can become those who we admire as we enter [Tuners Academy]. Living our dreams wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for that day of fate 8 years ago.
Seiji:"Haruka! Let's go."
Haruka:"Just a minute, Seiji! I'm off, Mom."
"Just be back before nightfall."
Haruka:"Okay!!!! So what are we doing today."
Seiji:"I thought we could explore the town again."
Haruka:"K, but next time I'll choose what we'll do next."
Seiji:"Fine."
We went all around town, had some fun with some of the other children. When we walked pass to the allyway when we heard someone crying.
"*sob**sob**sob**sob**sob**sob**sob**sob**sob*."
Seiji:"Is someone crying?"
Haruka:"Let's check it out, Seiji."
When we locate the person who was crying, it was a young girl with short blue hair.
Seiji:"Are you okay?"
Haruka:"What's wrong?"
"I *sob*don't *sob*wanna *sob*go.They don't *sob*need me *sob*anymore *sob*."
I look at Haruka but she has no idea what she's talking about either.
Haruka:"Um, how about this. We'll take you around town and have some fun. Will that cheer you up?"
"Maybe *sob*."
Seiji:"Alright, it's decided. Haruka, let's take her to all of our favorite places."
"We'll tell you our names.I'm Nichijou Haruka."
Seiji:"I'm Azuma Seiji."
"I'm Mizuki Ayumi."
Haruka:"Nice to meet you, Ayumi."
Soon after, we went to many places that we could've thought of like the ice cream parlor, the small river near the woods, and so many more places.
"Thank you. I had so much fun today."
Seiji:"Your're welcome. Hey, we should head back to town now. It's getting late.
Haruka:"Yeah."
We walked back into town, but then a man in a cloak came up to us.
Man:"Hey, you three. Do you know where the castle is?"
Seiji:"Oh, it's to the north of here. You can't miss it."
Man:"Thank you."
Right after, three castle guards came up to us.
Guard A:"Hey you three children."
Guard C:"May we have a word with you."
Seiji:"Sure."
Guard B:"Actually, we just need her to come back home with us."
Haruka:"Ara? You know these people, Ayumi."
Ayumi:"Y-yeah."
Guard A:"Come back with us, Ayumi."
Ayumi:"K."
Haruka:"Don't feel sad, we'll see each other tomorrow right."
Ayumi:"Yeah."
Guard C:"Thank you for your cooperation."
Haruka:"See ya, Ayumi."
Seiji:"Take care."
After we wave'd goodbye, Haruka and I went our seperate ways again.
Seiji:"See you tomorrow, Haruka."
Haruka:"See ya."
I immediately went home and up to my bedroom. As I watch the sun set from my bedroom window, I overheard my parrents talking to some of their friends.
"Have you heard, the witch will now preform the ritual again, since 10 years ago, today."
"I hear this time the sacrifice is a young little girl."
"From what I heard, she was brought up in a castle just for this person."
"If I recall, the girl's name is Ayumi or something."
Ayumi! It can't be. But the mens who pick her up were castle guards so it makes sense it would be her.But why didn't she say or do anything about it. Then I recall what Ayumi had said when we first met. I have to go.
Ayumi:"I *sob*don't *sob*wanna *sob*go.They don't *sob*need me *sob*anymore *sob*."
Seiji:"I'm going out."
"No. You should know that its dangerous outside today."
Seiji:"I don't care."
"Seiji, go back up to your room."
Seiji:" I have to save a friend!"
"Fine then, leave and don't go back."
Seiji:"Doesn't matter anyway, I'm adopted."
"How did you...?"
Seiji:"I'm off."
I ran as I can to the castle. There I met up with Haruka.
Seiji:"So you heard about what's going to happen to Ayumi too."
Haruka:"Yeah."
Seiji:"I think I know a secret pathway to this castle. Let's go."
Haruka:"K."
We hurry to the pathway I was talking about but...
Haruka:"Oh no. I think those are the [Noise] creatures I've heard about."
Seiji:"Hide!!"
We quickly ran to the nearest place we could find.
Haruka:"They look so scary."
Seiji:"Now what are we suppose to do with them around."
I look at my surrounding.
Seiji:"Isn't this the tool shed we were suppose to keep out of."
Haruka:"What makes you say that."
Seiji:"For one thing, this place is full of weapons."
Haruka:"You think we could use them."
Seiji:"They could be useful."
I look at some of the lables on the weapons. Every single one of them said [Tuner weapons].
Seiji:"Let's only take three, one for each of us. We have to hurry and save Ayumi."
Haruka:"So which one should we choose."
Seiji:"Choose light and easy to use weapons."
Haruka:"K. I'll choose the crossbow."
Seiji:"I'll use the scythe."
Haruka:"What about Ayumi."
Seiji:"For some reason, I can imagine her using these knucles."
Haruka:"So now we're prepared right."
Seiji:"Yeah. Let's crash the ritual."
We went back to the pathway, fighting all the [Noise] along the way. We came to the rooftop and started to jump over buildings. After going around the castle, we finally came across the place of the ritual. Once I spotted Ayumi, we jumped off the building.
Seiji:"Ayumi!!!!"
We both landed on the platform where the ritual is about to take place.
Witch:"Who are you???!!!"
Ayumi:"S-Seiji! Haruka!"
Seiji:"We came to save you."
Ayumi:"W-why?"
Haruka:"Because you're our friend."
Witch:"How dare you disturb this sacred ritual!! Do you not want this town to be overrun by [Noise]!"
Seiji:"So that's why we are ruled by a witch. I don't care about that anymore since all it takes is to beat you and the [Noise] will go away. You are a [Noise Witch], aren't you."
Witch:"Why you insolent little brat! I'll show you my power. Download!"
Seiji:"Haruka!!"
Haruka:"On it!"
Once the [Noise] were created, Haruka started fighting.
Seiji:"Hurry, put this on. We have to fight now."
Ayumi:"Ara?"
Seiji:"We'll fight then you'll be free okay."
Ayumi:"K."
As I said, we fought the [Noise Witch] as best we could.
Witch:"*pant* *pant* *pant* I'm really low on energy, I don't have time for this anymore. I'll go to the next town to do my ritual. But I still want you. Remember my name [Medusa]."
Man:"Wait a minute [Medusa]! You're under execution by the order of the [Tuners Council]."
And so she left without reacting to the man's words. We all collapse from exaustion. The man whom we met back into town came towards us.
Man:"Nice job for such little kids. You're all so brave. I can see you have the qualifications of a [Tuner]. I like to have you all enrolled in our [Tuners Academy]. But first you'll need to live in a new place. How would you like that."
Everyone barely had the energy to talk so we nodded.
Man:"Okay then, it's settled. We'll leave now to get to your new home."
Like he said, he took us to Tokyo, the city of [Tuners] in Japan. He stopped in front of two houses in Central Tokyo.
Man:"Okay, you two will live here from now on, Seiji's to the left, Haruka's to the right. Ayumi will come with me to South Tokyo."
Haruka:"Wait, she's not comming with us."
Man:"I'm sorry, for the time being, we can only support two houses here in Central. Don't worry, you'll see her again someday."
Ayumi:"Hey, we're still friends even if we're far apart, right?"
Seiji:"Of cource."
Man:"We're leaving."
Ayumi:"I guess this goodbye for now."
Seiji:"See ya soon"
Haruka:"Take care now."
After that, we haven't heard a word from her again. We were six at the time so I doubt Haruka remembers.
Class started and the teacher began homeroom with an announcement.
Teacher:" Before we can begin with the testing for qualifications of a [Tuner], first we'll introduce a new transfer student. Come on in, Mizuki."
Ayumi: "Hello, My name is [Mizuki Ayumi]."
Tell me which is better version 1 or 2, sequence of events or dialogue may be off.
ShadowZeroHeart

You really need to work on the dialogue...

Version 1 has a duplicate of sentences near the beginning.
For some unknown reason, we both have the same rare blood type not of the four common blood types. Scientist have called our blood type EX.
Version 2 has some major wording problems.
Witch:"How dare you disturb this sacred ritual!! Do you not want this town to be overrun by [Noise]!"
So the entire town wanted to be overrun by [Noise] and hired the witch?

Seriously... Are [Noise] that weak? In case you haven't noticed, you are talking about 6 year olds totally owning the [Noise] in version 2, and a 8 year old in version 1. Makes it hard to believe they are dangerous to the world.
We went back to the pathway, fighting all the [Noise] along the way. We came to the rooftop and started to jump over buildings. After going around the castle, we finally came across the place of the ritual. Once I spotted Ayumi, we jumped off the building.
and
After that, we haven't heard a word from her again. We were six at the time so I doubt Haruka remembers.
Don't the Noise sound really weak, losing to two dumb six-year-olds?

Personal Comments:
Version 1 is better, even though I hate MMORPG style of writing. You need to work on your dialogue, and also, give descriptions to many cases. For example, in version 2, when they met the [Noise], you should take some time to describe them. Similarly, describe the battle, so people can get a feel of the story. Otherwise, your story may be similar to a love story with the following words: "Boy meets girl. They fall in love. They live happily ever after.". Descriptions are needed for the audience to get into the story. With regards to dialogue, how often would you talk to yourself saying the following?
"What's with my body. Why do I have the body of an eight year old? How did I manage to revive?"
"What is this anyway? I don't think I'm in my own world anymore. I should try to fight."
P.S. how do you know your age just by taking a look at your body?

If this is a gaming script, I can understand, as this is meant to be a tutorial. But if you intend for this to be a story, then this is NOT the way to go. And you probably need to decide on whether it is a game or not in version 1. When you were at the toolshed(for some unknown reason having a scythe in there), you had skills lists and all. But this is not possible if they really are in the future. Most happenings are too unnatural, so it is best for you to fix these issues first.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
shadowNdusk
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shadowNdusk »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:You really need to work on the dialogue...

I really do.
Version 1 has a duplicate of sentences near the beginning.
"For some unknown reason, we both have the same rare blood type not of the four common blood types. Scientist have called our blood type EX."
Thx for the heads up.

I was a little lazy about describing how that works out. Apparently I was planning that the witch promised to protect the town from the noise if they do as she says since tuners have no knowledge of this little town. If one person dare to defy her, than the whole town gets it. I think that's what i thought of.
Seriously... Are [Noise] that weak? In case you haven't noticed, you are talking about 6 year olds totally owning the [Noise] in version 2, and a 8 year old in version 1. Makes it hard to believe they are dangerous to the world.
and
Tuner weapons are very special. Unlike ordinary weapons, these are made of unique data. Every human has data flowing within them as if they are natural. This data within them are known as counters. Counters react to certain weapons based on the host. It's like equiping the perfect weapon for a character.[This applies to both version] I'm not sure how it makes sense though.
Personal Comments:
Version 1 is better, even though I hate MMORPG style of writing. You need to work on your dialogue, and also, give descriptions to many cases. For example, in version 2, when they met the [Noise], you should take some time to describe them. Similarly, describe the battle, so people can get a feel of the story. Otherwise, your story may be similar to a love story with the following words: "Boy meets girl. They fall in love. They live happily ever after.". Descriptions are needed for the audience to get into the story. With regards to dialogue, how often would you talk to yourself saying the following?
P.S. how do you know your age just by taking a look at your body?
You're right about that. I'll change the story on the events when he got into the future.
If this is a gaming script, I can understand, as this is meant to be a tutorial. But if you intend for this to be a story, then this is NOT the way to go. And you probably need to decide on whether it is a game or not in version 1. When you were at the toolshed(for some unknown reason having a scythe in there), you had skills lists and all. But this is not possible if they really are in the future. Most happenings are too unnatural, so it is best for you to fix these issues first.
I was meaning to have the spheres as like the mark of the tuner, or something along the lines. I should put technology, like the UniTech and its usage. Ill modified version one. It's not suppose to be a gaming script, but has similarities to games. I'm guessing how the Tuners fight will be like a game to make it easier to describe the fighting technique and such.
ShadowZeroHeart

shadowNdusk wrote:
I was a little lazy about describing how that works out. Apparently I was planning that the witch promised to protect the town from the noise if they do as she says since tuners have no knowledge of this little town. If one person dare to defy her, than the whole town gets it. I think that's what i thought of.
I thought so. But your wording makes it just opposite. "Do you NOT want this town to be overrun by [Noise]!" is telling them that [Noise] in the city is a good thing.

shadowNdusk wrote:
and
Tuner weapons are very special. Unlike ordinary weapons, these are made of unique data. Every human has data flowing within them as if they are natural. This data within them are known as counters. Counters react to certain weapons based on the host. It's like equiping the perfect weapon for a character.[This applies to both version] I'm not sure how it makes sense though.
Not impossible, but you really need to describe what happened in the fights and all. But personally, even if the weapons are unique, six year olds should not be that powerful. Imagine, if even six year olds can win so easily, then why do they still have to go to school to learn to use these weapons? Furthermore, if [Noise] are that scary, shouldn't they be scared in the first place? And the dialogue of version 2 with his parents was insane as well, the mother telling the child to just die out there...
shadowNdusk wrote:
I was meaning to have the spheres as like the mark of the tuner, or something along the lines. I should put technology, like the UniTech and its usage. Ill modified version one. It's not suppose to be a gaming script, but has similarities to games. I'm guessing how the Tuners fight will be like a game to make it easier to describe the fighting technique and such.
It is not impossible to use simple gaming terms for your techniques. But even so, you have to go into details and explain them. And my point is not the use of these terms, but the way your story started out like the tutorial of a game.

You got into the game -> This is how you move around -> There is a room with weapons -> This is how you equip -> Weak enemies appeared -> This is how you battle -> Congratulations! You have won your first battle!

Not to forget, you got very powerful Tuner Weapons in the beginning, in the tool shed of some small village? Is it not strange why such weapons are there, especially when a [Noise Witch] who does not like Tuners being the head of the village/town?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
shadowNdusk
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shadowNdusk »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
shadowNdusk wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
I thought so. But your wording makes it just opposite. "Do you NOT want this town to be overrun by [Noise]!" is telling them that [Noise] in the city is a good thing.

I did not see that.
shadowNdusk wrote: Seriously... Are [Noise] that weak? In case you haven't noticed, you are talking about 6 year olds totally owning the [Noise] in version 2, and a 8 year old in version 1. Makes it hard to believe they are dangerous to the world.
and
ShadowZeroHeart wrote: Not impossible, but you really need to describe what happened in the fights and all. But personally, even if the weapons are unique, six year olds should not be that powerful. Imagine, if even six year olds can win so easily, then why do they still have to go to school to learn to use these weapons? Furthermore, if [Noise] are that scary, shouldn't they be scared in the first place? And the dialogue of version 2 with his parents was insane as well, the mother telling the child to just die out there...
Maybe ill make em 10 years old. I'll drop the 2nd version. I wasn't sure where I was going with the plot line.
shadowNdusk wrote: If this is a gaming script, I can understand, as this is meant to be a tutorial. But if you intend for this to be a story, then this is NOT the way to go. And you probably need to decide on whether it is a game or not in version 1. When you were at the toolshed(for some unknown reason having a scythe in there), you had skills lists and all. But this is not possible if they really are in the future. Most happenings are too unnatural, so it is best for you to fix these issues first.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote: It is not impossible to use simple gaming terms for your techniques. But even so, you have to go into details and explain them. And my point is not the use of these terms, but the way your story started out like the tutorial of a game.

You got into the game -> This is how you move around -> There is a room with weapons -> This is how you equip -> Weak enemies appeared -> This is how you battle -> Congratulations! You have won your first battle!

Not to forget, you got very powerful Tuner Weapons in the beginning, in the tool shed of some small village? Is it not strange why such weapons are there, especially when a [Noise Witch] who does not like Tuners being the head of the village/town?
I won't put the whole finding weapons in some random place thing. I'll modify the 1st story and make it better. I'll change the intro, backstory, setting when he's first in the future, and more.
shadowNdusk
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shadowNdusk »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
shadowNdusk wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:

I did not see that.
shadowNdusk wrote: Seriously... Are [Noise] that weak? In case you haven't noticed, you are talking about 6 year olds totally owning the [Noise] in version 2, and a 8 year old in version 1. Makes it hard to believe they are dangerous to the world.
and
ShadowZeroHeart wrote: Not impossible, but you really need to describe what happened in the fights and all. But personally, even if the weapons are unique, six year olds should not be that powerful. Imagine, if even six year olds can win so easily, then why do they still have to go to school to learn to use these weapons? Furthermore, if [Noise] are that scary, shouldn't they be scared in the first place? And the dialogue of version 2 with his parents was insane as well, the mother telling the child to just die out there...
Maybe ill make em 10 years old. I'll drop the 2nd version. I wasn't sure where I was going with the plot line.
shadowNdusk wrote: If this is a gaming script, I can understand, as this is meant to be a tutorial. But if you intend for this to be a story, then this is NOT the way to go. And you probably need to decide on whether it is a game or not in version 1. When you were at the toolshed(for some unknown reason having a scythe in there), you had skills lists and all. But this is not possible if they really are in the future. Most happenings are too unnatural, so it is best for you to fix these issues first.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote: It is not impossible to use simple gaming terms for your techniques. But even so, you have to go into details and explain them. And my point is not the use of these terms, but the way your story started out like the tutorial of a game.

I won't put the whole finding weapons in some random place thing. I'll modify the 1st story and make it better. I'll change the intro, backstory, setting when he's first in the future, and more.
rock96
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rock96 »

Sorry, I couldn't read it entirely. Well, I simply can't read only dialogues with a drop of short descriptions if the style doesn't fit novel.
From what I've read, I feel that it'd be better as Audio Drama, as it is now...

First version is, like, short re-telling of what happened. No details, no insight. That won't do even if that's your style.
Second version is simply unreadable due to formatting.

Novel isn't good if your description is simply is 'Hello, I am la-la-la. > dialogue spam > I ran. > Monologue > I stopped.' Well, more precisely, these versions of your chapter 1 aren't chapters of novel, they look like a draft for scenario.

Try to find the balance between dialogues and descriptions. Don't be afraid of experimenting. We may criticize you but we won't try to offend you. Work harder, and you'll find your way as an author.
Kadi - hero we don't deserve.
Honorable mention for moderating and translating Campione, editing Gekkou and Hakomari.
O White Knight standing sadly amidst hordes of filthy plebs, return to us, please.
shadowNdusk
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shadowNdusk »

I'm still trying out new scenarios. Here's a new approach on chapter 1(Unfinished).
Spoiler! :
A dream? I was falling headfirst into the darkness. that's all I could see exept for four other people. I could barely see their faces. There were two males, a blonde and a silver-hair, and afemale brunette. Next to me was a female, judging by her proportions, with a ponytail. I had another look at her. I saw a glimpse of her face... Ayumi? A light shone more brightly as we continue to fell. The light almost devoured me and then....

"Aaaaaahhhhhh!"

I woke up and fell off my chair. I sat in the back next to the window. Luckily no one was around to see that. It was 5:40 p.m. I should be heading home now. I grabbed my bag and left the classroom.

My name is Azuma Seiji. I was born on February 28. Hair: Black, Age: 16, Height, 171 cm., Weight: 51 Kg, Average scores on all subjects. I don't have a usual hobbies. Things I like to do is hanging out with my childhood friend.

I saw some students still talking about the recent archeologist story. An archeologist dug up an ancient text about a prince becomming the Grim Reaper. People been calling it the Origin of the Grim Reaper. If I remember clearly, the story went something like:

Once apon a time, there was once a kingdom that ruled over the entire world. The King of this kingdom was a tyrannical king. He rules over the kingdom with an iron fist. The Prince does not see to his father's ideal way of ruling. He decided to wage war against his father. With the help of his four companions, The Lion of Light, The StormArcher, The Warrior of Fire, The StarGazer, and with a scythe in his hands, from the royal weapon vault, he fought countless wars against his father. The results ended with the Prince ending his father's life. He was declared the new king. Shortly after being declared king, was thrown off the throne for he could not properly govern his people. The Prince was immediately thrown out into the streets and a new era began. The Prince wanders the streets, haunted by his father's ghost and the ghosts of those he had killed in battle. He seeked guidance, so he went to the all-seeing oracle. The oracle gave the Prince a strange cloak, allowing him to finish off the ghost that haunts him at the cost of every flesh and organs he has, exept his bones. This was the birth of the Grim Reaper.

I walked outside of the school building and went to the Karate Club Dojo. I opened the door. Inside was a single woman. Long, black hair and a slender body. She was in the middle of practicing. I called out to her.

"Hey! Ayumi! We're heading home."
She turned around.
"Coming!"

This is Mizuki Ayumi.Born on January 1. Hair: Black tied in a ponytail, Age: 16, Height, 158 cm., Weight: 48 Kg, She's one of the top three students in our year. Strangest thing we have in common is our rare blood type, EX. She's been my childhood friend since preschool. She's now the Captain of the Co-ed Karate Club.

Our walk together was mostly silent. We never have anything to say to each other, yet we walk home all the time. I walked with her untill we get to the point where we split up.

"See ya tomorrow, Ayumi."
"See ya."
ShadowZeroHeart

This new approach is even worse off than what you had initially if you ask me.

The way you introduce the characters are really bad, they are like giving off the details directly. It might not be the best of ideas, but you can also consider perhaps the main character going to the toilet to wash up, looking into the mirror, describe his own appearance a little? Then you can also talk about his inter-personal relationships in school, since you said that he slept in school until 5.30, i am guessing he has no friends to wake him up, or is known to sleep that late anyway.

The story about the prince becoming the Grim Reaper is lacking in details, and strange since the prince would be the next ruler anyway. You probably have to say things like he tried to make the king change his ways, but the king was enraged and exiled the prince. To save the people, the prince gathered companions, and waged war against his father. Despite winning the war, governing was not as simple as he had imagined, causing the downfall of his new-found kingdom.

Ayumi might be the female lead, so it could do you a lot of good to describe her a little more. This is just an example:
I walked outside of the school building and went to the Karate Club Dojo to get my childhood friend, Mizuki Ayumi. Hearing her shouts from outside, I gently opened the door, and there she was. Her long, black hair fluttered as she practiced the different moves. Her slender body, covered in sweat, looks like an art piece shining under the evening sun. Her every move was so elegant and beautiful that seemed to stop even time itself. Even though I have seen her practicing many times, sometimes I still space out just watching her.

Snapping out of it, I called out to her.

She turned around.
"Coming!"
What you have now:
This is Mizuki Ayumi.Born on January 1. Hair: Black tied in a ponytail, Age: 16, Height, 158 cm., Weight: 48 Kg
These aren't describing the person, and weight is definitely not necessary. Height is a little more important, but there is no real need to give exact numbers. So do you imply that the characters will never grow taller or heavier/lighter? Or do you intend to reuse this idea every time this value changes? Giving rough estimates would be good enough, lighter than average, shorter than most, weighing over a hundred tonnes etc etc.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
shadowNdusk
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shadowNdusk »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:This new approach is even worse off than what you had initially if you ask me.
The way you introduce the characters are really bad, they are like giving off the details directly. It might not be the best of ideas, but you can also consider perhaps the main character going to the toilet to wash up, looking into the mirror, describe his own appearance a little? Then you can also talk about his inter-personal relationships in school, since you said that he slept in school until 5.30, i am guessing he has no friends to wake him up, or is known to sleep that late anyway.
I should've put that he's a heavy sleeper. He probaly slept through most of 5th and 6th period and that even teachers couldn't get him up.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:The story about the prince becoming the Grim Reaper is lacking in details, and strange since the prince would be the next ruler anyway. You probably have to say things like he tried to make the king change his ways, but the king was enraged and exiled the prince. To save the people, the prince gathered companions, and waged war against his father. Despite winning the war, governing was not as simple as he had imagined, causing the downfall of his new-found kingdom.
Yeah, description is not my best strong suit.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Ayumi might be the female lead
She is.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:...so it could do you a lot of good to describe her a little more. This is just an example:
I walked outside of the school building and went to the Karate Club Dojo to get my childhood friend, Mizuki Ayumi. Hearing her shouts from outside, I gently opened the door, and there she was. Her long, black hair fluttered as she practiced the different moves. Her slender body, covered in sweat, looks like an art piece shining under the evening sun. Her every move was so elegant and beautiful that seemed to stop even time itself. Even though I have seen her practicing many times, sometimes I still space out just watching her.

Snapping out of it, I called out to her.

She turned around.
"Coming!"
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:What you have now:
This is Mizuki Ayumi.Born on January 1. Hair: Black tied in a ponytail, Age: 16, Height, 158 cm., Weight: 48 Kg
These aren't describing the person, and weight is definitely not necessary. Height is a little more important, but there is no real need to give exact numbers. So do you imply that the characters will never grow taller or heavier/lighter? Or do you intend to reuse this idea every time this value changes? Giving rough estimates would be good enough, lighter than average, shorter than most, weighing over a hundred tonnes etc etc.
Ok, thx. I'll add more to the story and make the changes to what I have so far. I just wrote this a little while ago anyways, so I knew there were bound to be some problems.

Return to “Creative works”