Original LN~Dedication To My Viola: Love to Music

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Tin7
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Original LN~Dedication To My Viola: Love to Music

Post by Tin7 »

Hm well the title says it all. First light novel for me. Feel free to coment, critic, opinions, ect. Also most important Enjoy the story. Thanks

Main Character: Katsuki (male)
Heroine: Voice (female)
Spoiler! :
Chapter 1

As the light flutters through the window on the 3rd floor of one of the most prestigious musical institution in the nation, a boy stands playing a viola solo.
“Alright stop, stop” sigh
“Katsuki are you sure you want to keep pursuing the viola? Because at this rate your not going to get anywhere. To put it bluntly out there, you suck”
I looked down on the floor and answered with a nod
Shaking his head the professor waved his hand and excused me.
I walked out of the room and sighed. That was the last playing exam of the semester and I just flunked it. I hated professor Rov because he is always an ass hole about everything I play.
As I walked down the corridor that lead to an outside bridge I heard voices from one of the class rooms. I looked through the door way and a couple of students were reading the weekly music international magazine.
“Hey look its Voice-chan”
“Yea I know right shes an amazing solo violist”
“Don’t forget she also did a viola concerto with an international renowned orchestra too!”
“Oh yea I remember that it was shown on T.V once. Man she really changes the world with her music.”
I left in disgust.
As I entered the outside bridge, it was chilly. The date was December and it was the snowing season. But still this cold feeling was a bit refreshing after a bitter performance. I walked across the bridge and look down to see tiny ants (music students) walking home or to work. I envied them. They probably passed. This was one of the top musical schools in japan and yet I feel so out of place. Since there was an abnormally low amount of violist who continues on as a major in college, many schools like a good ratio, so in high demand of violists they recruit almost anyone, even if the violist isn’t good. When I got accepted into this school I was really happy even though I knew that I was only chosen because of being a violist however, after coming here I felt a change of heart. My classmates were way ahead of me and I felt alone and abandoned.
“Sigh, man this stinks”
After declaring this thought I walked across campus to the garden on the west side of school in the back. It was a nice garden with flowers planted and since the season is winter, the winter flowers blooms at its max. There is also a veranda and also a bridge that hovers over a stream. I sat at my usual spot. A spot reserved right under a big oak tree that was changing its leaves from green to orange and yellow, and that was located in front of bridge and stream. I sat down, it was sunny yet I felt no warmth but only the jacket that covered my back. I then looked at the viola that was next to me in a case. It was a dark black case. I touched the cold icy plastic case that shot chills through my figure tips to my spine with each stroke. Then a sudden icy chilling shot reminded me that I failed an important exam a few minutes ago. Immediately, rage hit me and I furiously grabbed the viola case and hurled it across from me. As it landed with a flop next to the side of the stream next to the bridge, I dropped onto my back and closed my eyes. I though “Yea a sting probably broke but I didn’t care anymore.” I was a low paid student living alone and if I wasn’t good then I probably couldn’t continue with my musical studies here anymore. And this last chance was blown up right in front of my face just 20 minutes ago. I lay their lifelessly as I took in the sunlight that generated no heat. Yet the cold wind that came by every so often cooled my fuse and soon I dozed off.
Awoken suddenly by a smooth beautiful low melody that enveloped me with such a wonderful melody I never heard before. The flow from note to note was as if it was a stream. These transcending sounds created by notes enter weaving each other into place creating a feeling of unity. My eyes burst open and I saw an unrealistic sight almost a cut out scene from a manga. It was dazzling almost as if everything fit into place. There in front of me standing at the small bridge, holding a viola was a girl about my age. I don’t remember such a person in my class or a person who went to this school at all who played with such a style. I was mesmerized and stared blankly as I listened to her play. The low deep tones that streamed out of the viola and her fingers almost dancing on the figure board of the viola and synchronized with the bowing. It was like nature itself was playing along with her, or that might have just been my hallucination caused by her playing, but it was the real deal. Suddenly she took notice and the music stopped and the presence which shrouded the garden dispersed and only the cold air was left. She turned over and stared, then bowed. I nervously stood up and bowed back. I walked towards her and was at the front of the bridge, then said.
“Um that was amazing!”
She looked me in the eyes and stared at me. When I got a closer look at her not only was her music beautiful but she was really pretty. I couldn’t help but blush in amazement. She had semi- short pure black hair that flowed to the front of her chest. She had a hair pin on the front and her eyes were as pure black and deep as the abyss. She was in a light blouse and a semi- long dress with curls at the end. Suddenly she stuck her hand out and handed me the viola and the bow. I flinched but regained posture and reached out to accept the viola. From the texture of the viola I could tell it was the one I just tossed away a few minutes ago. I took it and then was about to ask when what answered me was a note pad. On it says
“Please play”
“?!”
I was totally caught off guard. At first I thought why a notepad? Could she not talk? Then I gave up on looking for an answer, to me it didn’t matter but what did was the request was quite vague and I didn’t know what she’d like me to play either. Also a flash back of what happened at the exam earlier today diminished my confidence. But she stood there and looked me in the eyes. They were earnest, guiltless, and innocent. I took the viola and took position. I thought for a moment deciding on what to play then then raised my bow. I began to play the song that I just had an exam for, then suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and I flinched a bit but I knew it was hers. I also knew in my heart that I was starting to blush and get nervous and felt that my heart was beating so fast that she might hear it. In the end, I was rushing the piece and when I finished, I said
“Yea it was bad huh. I failed the exam for this. It’s pathetic; no matter how hard I try a normal person like me will always be below a prodigy.”
She then started to scribble something down on her notebook and then flipped it around.
“It’s really bad, however it’s also unique and that’s what makes it beautiful too.”
Err… ouch that felt like I just got shot in the head. This girl! She just outright and said that I sucked. But it was the truth and I knew it. However the next sentence made me feel confused whether to be happy or annoyed. She then scribbled something else in her notebook and it said.
“Please play it again.”
I was a bit depressed but I still played it, this time she came from behind and almost hugging me, wrote on my hand slowly, “relax”. I was confused but then suddenly she started to play the viola using my hands and body like a robot. I was still a bit shocked from her being so close but then she suddenly stopped and wrote on her notepad
“Don’t be tense, feel the flow and movements of when I’m playing with your hands.”
I looked up at her and nodded without a question. We started once again and all of a sudden it was as if I was sucked into a whole new world! It was amazing; it felt like I was totally absorbed into playing this one piece and the sounds that were produced from my viola were so different then before, just few minutes ago. Also it was a sound that I had never heard before and it felt like it snapped me back into place. She then stopped and scribbled something into her notebook
It says “now you play it, with the feeling you’ve grasped”
I was dumbfound and probably had a dumbfounded face too, but she just nodded happily so I took her word for it and started playing.
After a few notes into the intro for the piece she taps me and shakes her head, then scribbled
“Again, remember the feeling!”
I nodded but was terribly confused. I imagined how it felt to play it when she was controlling me and then I started. From string to string then to a shift and then accelerando then suddenly something hit me “feel the song the music flowing” and. Speechless it was just like before, a whole new world opened up to me one that was right in front of me the whole time. It was ecstasy and amazingness and it felt different, like I was reborn. I’ve never felt this kind of playing before. I looked over at my shoulder and saw her smiling face along with her hand on my shoulder. I closed my eyes and smiled too and completed the song flawlessly, filled with emotion and feeling. After playing she started teaching me new pieces and how to play again from the basics almost like how to walk when you were a baby. We played the viola all through the afternoon and it was like a silent musical concert like aroma that surrounded us, and by the time we were satisfied the sky was still lit light blue, but the temperature dropped a bit. I turned to look at her and I chuckled and then started laughing. She laughed too. After releasing that compressed feeling, I felt overjoyed that I was able to play with this person all afternoon but then I felt a bit dreadful because even though there are a lot of extraordinary viola prodigies at this school they were all stuck up and care for nothing else but themselves. However this girl for the first time I felt while playing with her was surely the most enjoyment I’ve ever had since coming here and playing the viola. Then I asked.
“Um so its winter break now and I have a make-up exam b-but I really like to meet again with you and play again with you.”
……..GAHHH UGHH I know my face is probably all red. Th-this is like a confession, or asking her out. I looked down a bit but then confronted by her notebook. I had a gut feeling of rejection and misunderstanding. Then when I looked up, on the notebook wrote.
“Ok, tomorrow here at 7a.m and I too had lots of fun”
She then turned around and ran off into the garden but I sore I thought I saw her blush a bit or maybe that was the frost bites on her cheeks causing it turn rosy red. I looked up into the sky and thanked the heavens, then packed my viola and stood up. Breath in the cold refreshing natural air, and then sighed in a joyful manner however as I sighed out.
“AHHHHH!”
I didn’t even get her name or number. Ugh I’m so stupid I can’t believe I totally forgot to even ask her, her name. That’s like the most basic thing you first do when you meet!
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Original LN~Dedication To My Viola: Love to Music

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Not too sure about music, I have a bad art sense... But so far it is quite well written.

But personally, I have read one volume of a LN about music (Sayonara Piano Sonata), and thus understood that it is not an easy feat, since music needs to be heard, yet LNs need to be read. You need to be really good or skillful to bring the LN to life especially if you intend to move towards the music field. There will probably be some readers that are like me, unfamiliar to the world of music, whereas some know it rather well. So if you intend to go that way, good luck.

On a side-note, this is just a personal comment, and in a way a critic. You do not need to pay it much heed.

When the heroine first heard the piece, her comment was:

“It’s really bad, however it’s also unique and that’s what makes it beautiful too.”

This sounds like she enjoyed the piece, and it is a wonderful thing to say.

However, later she "corrected" the main character. This is of course a possible path, but personally I think it does not suit the words she said earlier, as she has just "corrected" the "uniqueness" and "beauty" of the piece the protagonist played. So in a sense, she just destroyed the piece that she enjoyed not too long ago.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Tin7
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Tin7 »

thanks shadowzeroheart for your feedback.it has widened my veiw on music genre light novel.
first of all i totally agree with you on the fact that since it is a music light novel people who are not
musically adapted will not understand the voice of music in the light novel. thus writing a story that create sounds and feeling is difficult. since i play the viola myself, it totally slipped my mind to even consider thoes who are not musically adapted, so i apologize for not considering both sides. i will edit this and make some changes and hopfully it will help. some things that i thought that might help people who arent musically adapted are adding words that give off strong pressence. like a word alone that gives off a huge affect like makes you shiver and get goose bumps. well i mean that its just a way to put music into words.
next id like to address the part about the heroine saying unique and later correcting the main character. i think i should add more detail to expaline what she ment.

thanks again shadowzeroheart. and more critics would be great!
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Tin7 wrote:thanks shadowzeroheart for your feedback.it has widened my veiw on music genre light novel.
first of all i totally agree with you on the fact that since it is a music light novel people who are not
musically adapted will not understand the voice of music in the light novel. thus writing a story that create sounds and feeling is difficult. since i play the viola myself, it totally slipped my mind to even consider thoes who are not musically adapted, so i apologize for not considering both sides. i will edit this and make some changes and hopfully it will help. some things that i thought that might help people who arent musically adapted are adding words that give off strong pressence. like a word alone that gives off a huge affect like makes you shiver and get goose bumps. well i mean that its just a way to put music into words.
next id like to address the part about the heroine saying unique and later correcting the main character. i think i should add more detail to expaline what she ment.

thanks again shadowzeroheart. and more critics would be great!
Firstly, your work is totally fine. In the music novel I read then, there were some references to some famous songs etc etc, that the beat or feeling was related to those. But for non-musical people, it is quite hard for them to enjoy it in a similar manner. Just do take note that there may be times that your feelings or thoughts might be a little hard for others to comprehend if you use full musical terms without explanation.

Back to the heroine, while I think I get the idea...

The protagonist was relatively capable, but due to his own thinking etc, his abilities are not really played to his fullest capabilities. The girl helps to loosen him up, thus allowing him to play more naturally. As I said, it is fine going this way, definitely. But personally, I would think it might be better if she did not help him by teaching him hand in hand, that is all. "feel the flow and movements of when I'm playing with your hands" implies she is telling him to play as she did, which means its her music, at least that is what I think.

In some Japanese LN, one way of tackling such "tenseness" would be for the protagonist to fail miserably. This can be for example, playing a note real bad, ruining it all? After that the protagonist would have the "I have already did the worse, I have nothing to lose" mentality, and thus no longer nervous.

Another way might be that the girl stayed and listened as he practiced, thus after some time he became more at ease?

As I said earlier, your method of tackling it isn't wrong, so you don't really need to make any amendments. What I said is just an opinion, one that you can safely ignore.

It is a good start for a story. Will look forward to reading more!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Tin7
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Tin7 »

i see ill take note on the use of references.

i was thinking on editing a few parts relating to (""feel the flow and movements of when I'm playing with your hands" implies she is telling him to play as she did, which means its her music, at least that is what I think.") to make it not sound like its her music but the main character's music.

also im suprised. its almost as if you read my mind and put it into words.
the part about-("The protagonist was relatively capable, but due to his own thinking etc, his abilities are not really played to his fullest capabilities. The girl helps to loosen him up, thus allowing him to play more naturally.")
and
("Another way might be that the girl stayed and listened as he practiced, thus after some time he became more at ease?")
was sort of heading toward that direction a little. no spoilers.

it seems i still have a long way to go before i get good.

and ill be continuing this story however due to real life activities like school, work, ect. it will take some time til the next part be released.

thanks shadowzeroheart for critics and comments and thanks everyone else for reading!
Tin7
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Tin7 »

Hey everyone, its been a while due to real life stuff and so i didnt have time to write and update on the story
"Dedication To My Viola: Love to Music"

Anyways i have part of chapter 2 done (unedited)

Characters:
-Katsuki
-Voice (on stage name)
-Asuki
-Takamo (new*)
-Professor Rov

Enjoy!
Spoiler! :
Chapter 2 [1/?]

“Ring, ring”
“Ugh”
“Its 6 o clock, I don’t even need to look to tell. I was going to meet her today at 7 and was so excited I didn’t get to sleep much.”
I got up lazily and started to undress. It was a cold morning and since I was a under paid student, I lived in an apartment that was a one room combination of everything else but a shower. Well at least there was a small toilet. Guess they didn’t think the person living in this apartment needed to shower. Anyways I got dressed and looked at my phone it read “6:15”
I scanned my room for a bit, it was quite messy. Clothes were scattered around the floor along with various different music sheets, and there was also left over, take home lunch boxes still left on the mini table.
“Alright I got some time”
As I shuffled through the piles of trash and garbage something caught my eye and I salvaged it out. It was a dirty, sleek, black viola case. I sat down with it in front of me staring each other down. It sort of gave off an intimidating disposition. I closed my eyes for a moment to recollect my choices up till now trying to pursue the viola. And to reminisce all the times I went through with this viola. The different hardships and struggles we been through together, from all the way back when I first made my decision to play the viola to the time when I first got you, like an everlasting partner.
“Sigh”
Reaching over I grabbed a damp cloth and wiped the case down, to reveal a shiny smooth plastic like feeling. I stood up looked at the case one last time and then resumed to finish my morning tasks.
I ate breakfast and did some other useless, time wasting stuff, and was out the door by 6:30. Since I lived rather near the school, it only took about 10 to 15 minutes to get there and since it was in the morning there weren’t any traffic, especially today since it was the first day of winter break. Well except for people such as myself having to attend supplementary classes to take a makeup exam later.
I walked through the empty, deserted streets clutching on to my bag in one hand and my viola in the other. A light fog was suspended throughout the way to school so it took longer than expected.
I arrived at the designated point where we agreed upon meeting. Although it took longer I was still pretty early. I looked at my cell phone. It read 6:50. I examined the surrounding and conclude that she had not arrived yet. I felt a little embarrassed for arriving so early feeling the eagerness of wanting to meet her again in my stomach.
I waited at the small bridge that hovered over the stream and set my stuff down. The cold concentration on the black plastic of the viola case made my hands numb.
The garden in the back of the school was so much different in the morning. There was a calm, relieving presence that embraced me and made me feel relaxed. The light fog that lingered in the air a few minutes ago was paved away by the rising sun. As the garden began to become liven, my thoughts drifted a bit. I was probably adrift for a few milla second when what suddenly, something caught my eyes. I turned around with god – like speed reflexes and found that the girl from yesterday was staring at me. “Was she here the whole time, watching me?” I thought to myself. As I froze in place pondering on this thought for a moment, she greeted me with a notepad.
“Good morning!”
“Ah, um, Go-Good morning.”
I stuttered a bit.
“O-Oh right! Um, sorry I forgot to ask your name yesterday. I’m Katsuki, a 2nd year here studying as a viola major.”
Her eyes widen and mouth slightly opened as she was caught off guard by my sudden enthusiasm. She nodded with a smile and answered with her notepad.
“Nice to meet you Katsuki! You can call me Asuki!”
I see, so that’s her name. I felt uneasy as I subconsciously repeated her name. This feeling that her name felt resemblance to something I’ve heard or seen somewhere before. This familiar, mysterious presence that shrouds her, however I gave up on thinking too much and tossed the idea out.
I looked up and was directed by her figure that was pointing to the black slick viola case lying on the ground. I understood the meaning.
Unlocking the viola case I pulled out the beloved viola that shimmered in the rising, morning sun, as the surface of the viola reflected different variations of light and dark brown.
She thumbed through the viola score sheets in my bag and pulled out the score for the makeup exam piece. After a few minutes of nodding and mumming as she skimmed through the music sheets, she turned and looked at me. Her eyes lit, giving off the impression of excitement and anticipation.
“Hey…. HEY KATSUKI YOU THEIR!”
“Huh?! Oh sorry I sorta dozed off.”
“Did you not get enough sleep? Fufufu well I guess you wouldn’t, considering how badly you butchered your exam.”
“Hey you failed too….”
“Ugh……..”
“Anyways I just had morning practices.”
“Hahaha you! Morning practice. Hahaha your killing me here. Well we’ll see if those practices actually worked during class.
“you just wait and see.”
It was the start of winter break yet I’m stuck here in school taking a make-up class to be able to retake the exam I bombed a few days ago. I walked to class trying to accumulate all the memories and knowledge I felt and learned this morning.
“Ugh. [shivers] looking back now that girl really pulled me apart and put me back together. Playing for 3 straight full hours”
I looked at my fingers and confirmed they were dead either from the numbness of the morning cold or from playing so much.
The class was small considering the fact that this is a prestigious school, so there shouldn’t be any failures at all. There were 10 other people counting myself. Each played a different instrument, and was isolating themselves other than me and Takamo.
Takamo is a childhood friend from kindergarten all the way to present time. Now that I think about it I’ve been stuck with him in the same class throughout my entire school career! His appearance is that of a typical popular guy look. However I never got to figure out why he hangs out with me all the time even though he’s so popular……
As we waited silently for our make- up instructor, tension built up at a quacking pace as we waited each second to see who the instructor was. Firstly having a good instructor equates to passing. Having a stricken instructor equates to failing miserably. That’s why everyone is so intense. But of course from past rumors professor [make up name], the make- up class’s instructor was supposedly a very chilled, easy going person.
Suddenly the door slides opening filling the classroom with a chilly sensation. All eyes were peered at the door way and anxious. Almost like an animal scanning the area before it makes a run for it from its predator. A man steps in. he was a short fellow with a beard that connects with his sideburns, he was also cubby, and had circular classes. The top of his head was like the rising sun between two mountains in the sea’s horizon.
“?!?!!!!?!?!!”
Oh shit I know this man. From the dissatisfied expression on his face to the sneer on his mouth. It’s my professor that failed me just a few days ago, professor Rov! Defiantly not professor Hijita even if I only met professor Hijita a few times in the halls and during passing periods, I am most certainly positive I know how he looks like!
“Hello class I’m professor Rov, apparently the professor who was going to take the place in instructing this class professor Hijita is sick and cannot make it, therefore in his place I will be instructing the make- up class.”
Silence…………
“Ugh…”
Aww man I’m in deep shit I thought to myself. There’s no way I’m gonna pass. Is this karma? Or some divine punishment!? What horrible luck. Of all odds for him to be my instructor.
Apparently it seems the expression on my face voiced out my thoughts and Takamo knew exactly what I was flustering about. However he wasn’t the only one who noticed my discomfort. With a smile professor Rov announced to the class
“You all may suck, but you were accepted to this school meaning you have some obligations to meet and uphold. Therefore I’m going to make you all play to the fullest!”
“…………………………..”
“Alright then, everyone take out the first exam piece, [insert orchestra piece] and we will start from the top!”
“ok, calm down” I thought to myself there’s a reason my fingers are dead and it’s because I practiced all morning with Asuki and I won’t let it go to waste!
falcolobo
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by falcolobo »

Read your work so far, and I have to say its very good. I only have two pieces of advice:

1) Over-describing the music might make it better for the readers. Try it and read it yourself. Albeit, I'm a bit hesitant about this advice because I've never written a music novel before.

2) Make a public Google doc or start an account on Fictionpress.net and link the story here. Keep the link only in the first post and edit it with a new link when you write another chapter. It makes it easier for readers from BakaTsuki forums to keep up with your story and you could get potentially more readers (and more reviews and opinions if you use Fictionpress).

link to fiction press: http://www.fictionpress.com/
"To my only desire, bring forth the beast of possibilities"
-Cardeas Vist (Gundam Unicorn)
Tin7
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Tin7 »

thanks for the comment falco. first of all i totally agree with you on the fact that i need to add more discription on the music and second ill take note on making public google doc or fictionpress.net.

lately i haven't gotten the time to write so when i stop procrastinating ill take all comments into consideration thanks.
Tin7
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Tin7 »

so chapter 2 is finally finished. here it is however note: enedited (grammer errors ect.)

characters:
-Katsuki
-Voice (on stage name)
-Asuki
-Takamo (new*)
-Professor Corconner Rov
-Professor Hijita (not shown)
-Ayane (new*)
Spoiler! :
Chapter 2~

“Ring, ring”
“Ugh”
“Its 6 o clock, I don’t even need to look to tell. I was going to meet her today at 7 and was so excited I didn’t get to sleep much.”
I got up lazily and started to undress. It was a cold morning and since I was a under paid student, I lived in an apartment that was a one room combination of everything else but a shower. Well at least there was a small toilet. Guess they didn’t think the person living in this apartment needed to shower. Anyways I got dressed and looked at my phone it read “6:15”
I scanned my room for a bit, it was quite messy. Clothes were scattered around the floor along with various different music sheets, and there was also left over, take home lunch boxes still left on the mini table.
“Alright I got some time”
As I shuffled through the piles of trash and garbage something caught my eye and I salvaged it out. It was a dirty, sleek, black viola case. I sat down with it in front of me staring each other down. It sort of gave off an intimidating disposition. I closed my eyes for a moment to recollect my choices up till now trying to pursue the viola. And to reminisce all the times I went through with this viola. The different hardships and struggles we been through together, from all the way back when I first made my decision to play the viola to the time when I first got you, like an everlasting partner.
“Sigh”
Reaching over I grabbed a damp cloth and wiped the case down, to reveal a shiny smooth plastic like feeling. I stood up looked at the case one last time and then resumed to finish my morning tasks.
I ate breakfast and did some other useless, time wasting stuff, and was out the door by 6:30. Since I lived rather near the school, it only took about 10 to 15 minutes to get there and since it was in the morning there weren’t any traffic, especially today since it was the first day of winter break. Well except for people such as myself having to attend supplementary classes to take a makeup exam later.
I walked through the empty, deserted streets clutching on to my bag in one hand and my viola in the other. A light fog was suspended throughout the way to school so it took longer than expected.
I arrived at the designated point where we agreed upon meeting. Although it took longer I was still pretty early. I looked at my cell phone. It read 6:50. I examined the surrounding and conclude that she had not arrived yet. I felt a little embarrassed for arriving so early feeling the eagerness of wanting to meet her again in my stomach.
I waited at the small bridge that hovered over the stream and set my stuff down. The cold concentration on the black plastic of the viola case made my hands numb.
The garden in the back of the school was so much different in the morning. There was a calm, relieving presence that embraced me and made me feel relaxed. The light fog that lingered in the air a few minutes ago was paved away by the rising sun. As the garden began to become liven, my thoughts drifted a bit. I was probably adrift for a few milla second when what suddenly, something caught my eyes. I turned around with god – like speed reflexes and found that the girl from yesterday was staring at me. “Was she here the whole time, watching me?” I thought to myself. As I froze in place pondering on this thought for a moment, she greeted me with a notepad.
“Good morning!”
“Ah, um, Go-Good morning.”
I stuttered a bit.
“O-Oh right! Um, sorry I forgot to ask your name yesterday. I’m Katsuki, a 2nd year here studying as a viola major.”
Her eyes widen and mouth slightly opened as she was caught off guard by my sudden enthusiasm. She nodded with a smile and answered with her notepad.
“Nice to meet you Katsuki! You can call me Asuki!”
I see, so that’s her name. I felt uneasy as I subconsciously repeated her name. This feeling that her name felt resemblance to something I’ve heard or seen somewhere before. This familiar, mysterious presence that shrouds her, however I gave up on thinking too much and tossed the idea out.
I looked up and was directed by her figure that was pointing to the black slick viola case lying on the ground. I understood the meaning.
Unlocking the viola case I pulled out the beloved viola that shimmered in the rising, morning sun, as the surface of the viola reflected different variations of light and dark brown.
She thumbed through the viola score sheets in my bag and pulled out the score for the makeup exam piece. After a few minutes of nodding and mumming as she skimmed through the music sheets, she turned and looked at me. Her eyes lit, giving off the impression of excitement and anticipation.
“Hey…. HEY KATSUKI YOU THEIR!”
“Huh?! Oh sorry I sorta dozed off.”
“Did you not get enough sleep? Fufufu well I guess you wouldn’t, considering how badly you butchered your exam.”
“Hey you failed too….”
“Ugh……..”
“Anyways I just had morning practices.”
“Hahaha you! Morning practice. Hahaha your killing me here. Well we’ll see if those practices actually worked during class.
“you just wait and see.”
It was the start of winter break yet I’m stuck here in school taking a make-up class to be able to retake the exam I bombed a few days ago. I walked to class trying to accumulate all the memories and knowledge I felt and learned this morning.
“Ugh. [shivers] looking back now that girl really pulled me apart and put me back together. Playing for 3 straight full hours”
I looked at my fingers and confirmed they were dead either from the numbness of the morning cold or from playing so much.
The class was small considering the fact that this is a prestigious school, so there shouldn’t be any failures at all. There were 10 other people counting myself. Each played a different instrument, and was isolating themselves other than me and Takamo.
Takamo is a childhood friend from kindergarten all the way to present time. Now that I think about it I’ve been stuck with him in the same class throughout my entire school career (and in college as well)! His appearance is that of a typical popular guy look. However I never got to figure out why he hangs out with me all the time even though he’s so popular……
As we waited silently for our make- up instructor, tension built up at a quacking pace as we waited each second to see who the instructor was. Firstly having a good instructor equates to passing. Having a stricken instructor equates to failing miserably. That’s why everyone is so intense. But of course from past rumors professor Hijita, the make- up class’s instructor was supposedly a very chilled, easy going person.
Suddenly the door slides opening filling the classroom with a chilly sensation. All eyes were peered at the door way and anxious. Almost like an animal scanning the area before it makes a run for it from its predator. A man steps in. he was a short fellow with a beard that connects with his sideburns, he was also cubby, and had circular classes. The top of his head was like the rising sun between two mountains in the sea’s horizon.
“?!?!!!!?!?!!”
Oh shit I know this man. From the dissatisfied expression on his face to the sneer on his mouth. It’s my professor that failed me just a few days ago, professor Rov! Defiantly not professor Hijita even if I only met professor Hijita a few times in the halls and during passing periods, I am most certainly positive I know how he looks like!
“Hello class I’m professor Rov, apparently the professor who was going to take the place in instructing this class professor Hijita is sick and cannot make it, therefore in his place I will be instructing the make- up class.”
Silence…………
“Ugh…”
Aww man I’m in deep shit I thought to myself. There’s no way I’m gonna pass. Is this karma? Or some divine punishment!? What horrible luck. Of all odds for him to be my instructor.
Apparently it seems the expression on my face voiced out my thoughts and Takamo knew exactly what I was flustering about. However he wasn’t the only one who noticed my discomfort. With a smile professor Rov announced to the class
“You all may suck, but you were accepted to this school meaning you have some obligations to meet and uphold. Therefore I’m going to make you all play to the fullest!”
“…………………………..”
“Alright then, everyone take out the first exam piece, Fauré Pavane, op 50 arrangement for orchestra and we will start from the top!”
“ok, calm down” I thought to myself there’s a reason my fingers are dead and it’s because I practiced all morning with Asuki and I won’t let it go to waste!
My name is Corconner Rov, I’s a professor at (something) musical institute university. I earned my Ph. D in music in America at the University of Rochester (Eastman School of Music) [ranked #1 music university in 2010]
After graduating I decided to come back to japan to teach music.
“alright stop , stop.”
Sigh
“the cellos are off by a beat and..”
I turned over and looked at the viola section. And rubbed my forehead. I wasn’t sure if I heard it right or not but during the actual exam before winter break I have heard this piece multiple times but never have I heard something with such vigore and an exciting thrilling style of playing through out the whole viola examine students. I thought for a bit longer and stared at the 3 violists.
The first violist was Ayane whose a 3rd year here who has an exceptional way of memorizing the music sheets however she failed her playing exam because even with such great memorizing skills she lacks the excitement that violas contribute in a full orchestra/soloist.
The second violist was Takamo, his playing is good but he is the complete opposite compared to Ayane. While Ayane is able to comprehend the music well she lacks the playing enthusiasm but on the other hand while Takamo’s playing style is average his comprehension of the music it self is poor.
“Sigh”
And last but not least Katsuki………….. he is the worest of all three of them during the exam he could neither comprehend the music or play the music with the exthusiasm of a violist. Or if I recall “he sucks”
But just moments ago just a few measures into the piece there was something different. It was small but it was a big infulance to the orchestra as a whole. However I wasn’t able to pin down which person played such a style but I do know that it was in the viola section and thinking back this is the first time I have heard such playing style that none of the viola examinies played before. Also these viola students are one of the worest out of all the examinies. My curiousity could not be contained and this thrilling feeling of finding out who it is was overwhelming.
Ehem “um can the viola section please play the last measure we stopped at and please play it one by one. Please start Ayane- san”
(Nod and begins playing)
“Hmm”
It is defiantly much better than before during the exam and she would have passed barely if this was the exam. However, there is still something that lingers in the tone of the music. She starts with a smooth melody that leads to a rigorous accelerando.
Ayane finishes the piece
(Nod) “Ok next Takamo”
“……………”
Hmm he his playing style is defiantly the opposite of Ayanes’ however it is still lacking as when he played during the examination, however with a bit more work he possess potential. Although it wasn’t quite it, its close but this wasn’t the playing I heard a moment ago. Maybe I must have imagined it. Ha that’s right I must have just had too much coffee this morning and was disillusioned for a bit.
“Alright next let’s move on to the allegro part in measure thirty six.”
“………..”
(Katsuki raises hand)
“um professor you missed me……………………………….”
“huh? OH er…… I apologies for that………um go on ahead and play Katsuki…………..”
…………….ugh I can’t believe I missed him. It might have just been instinct because of how horrible he played during classes last semester. Even so I guess I just don’t expect much out of him, but I will give him that he’s got perseverance.
“alright begin when your ready.”
(Katsuki nods)
The room was dead silent almost like an abandoned ghost town. As the first note is played, then the first measure, then the second.
“…..!!!!”
This, this melody it’s completely different from Ayane and Takamo- sans. It has a somewhat enchanting feeling almost as if I’m being drawn in instantly. As each bow lifts up to switch from strings to strings is almost as if the instrument itself was breathing. The captivating sounds. WAIT! This is it! This is what I heard, but that’s impossible Katsuki is one of the worst student! How did he become so good how much practice did he put into it. Through the whole examination there wasn’t a single person who play with such and intriguing style and feeling. And this feeling that is put into the music itself doesn’t come from practicing but from the heart!
(3 days later)
“alright class is over be sure to remember to keep practicing and that the make up exam is in 2 days. Dismissed!”
“UOHHHHHHHHHHHH! KATSUKI THAT WAS AMAZING! Haha you should have seen the look on Professor Rov after you played. Your practicing actually paid off! HAHAHAHA.” (Takamo)
“Dammn I cant belive you, you actually did improve and not just improved but left the renowned, strictest instructor speechless these past few days.” (Ayane)
“Hahaha I know right that was priceless, priceless you hear.” (Takamo)
“eh……..EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. hahaha yea I didn’t know how it would have turned out. Actually I was nervouse out of my wits. (Katsuki)
(smirk) “im just glad all that hard work she though me didn’t go to waste.” (whispering to self)
“hmm? What was that?”
“oh um nothing hehe.”
“anyways you guys wanna go to Wc Donalds?”
“eh. Well I have something after school.”
“EH really a girlfriend!!”
“NO NO, not like that I gotta practice.
“ehhh that’s disappointing, and afternoon practice again? Lately you’ve been practicing alot right after school but then again I guess you’ve shown the effects of it haha.”
“haha yea…..”
“alright then well go after make up exams are done to celebrate our passing.”
“quite the optimistic there.” (Ayane)
“sure, alright cya”
(Katsuki walks out of room and down the hall to the outside)
Lately I have been meeting up with Asuki in the mornings and after school to practice and play the viola. Sigh it’s like a bliss of silence just letting music melt away our souls and fusing our conscious.
Himeko Inaba
Mikuru's Master

Post by Himeko Inaba »

Have you ever tried to teach another person how to play an instrument, or received high-level instruction? As ShadowZeroHeart remarked, the protagonist getting trained seems like the only possible path. If you haven't tried to teach a beginner, give it a shot, if only for research. It's can be frustrating though - I used to teach little kids guitar for money and I had trouble getting them to understand basic concepts or even how to hold the pick properly. If you can explain viola to a beginner, you should be able to explain it to the reader too.

That said, you don't have to consider readers who don't play music if you don't want to. If you read this site you're likely a fan of anime and you probably see words like tsundere tossed around with no explanation. That is fine - that's part of what it means to participate in a culture. Many of us don't play instruments though, so if you're looking for feedback on this site in particular you'll have to be careful about how you bring us down that "only possible path."

Return to “Creative works”