OLN: Daybreak on Hyperion

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Aorii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: OLN: Daybreak on Hyperion

Post by Aorii »

@Skychan
Why did Sylv leave Kaede with Pascal? Mmmh, I might get to explain that eventually =3 Let's just say carrot and stick policies require juggling skills~

I try to fluctuate between faster paced chapters and slower paced ones so events aren't passing too fast (thus characters have time to digest), and readers wouldn't get too bored. So... seesawing between combat, politics, and personal stuff.

No, they will not get into a brawl over it. That would be a bit silly, actually.

I actually can't remember why I switched over to favoring the concept of need-magic-power-source-for-enchanted-items... probably because I found the other idea abusable in a setting where magic is widespread and common.

It seems no amount of editing ever clears all errors xD

@wrwrwrwr:
Thanks, that actually flows better~
Been a while since I've seen you here. ^^
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
skychan
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by skychan »

Well if they won't get into a brawl over Kaede's virtue, I guess that would be the Skaegen way of doing things, then what would or will they do to protect it? Afterall I certainly can see it continuing to be an issue among newer troops who don't really know what she's done and see this cute little um... toy girl ... following a noble around and start making assumptions about her. Verbal ones that everybody else can hear. I mean, she IS sleeping in his bed, so at least some of the grapevine is true.
wrwrwrwr21
Literature Club Member

Post by wrwrwrwr21 »

Aorii wrote: @wrwrwrwr:
Thanks, that actually flows better~
Been a while since I've seen you here. ^^
meh, when it comes to forums and such, I'm more of a "lurker" than anything else.... and logging into the BT forums is enough of a pain to usually keep me in that role :P

In other forums I sometimes start posting at random when I'm drunk, but when I'm here I give up once I reach the captcha stage, lol.
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Next chapter has a lot of mechanical details on spellcasting, since people (particularly splynncrith) requested it =P
Some things are still being ironed out... currently in edit...

@Skychan:

More like proper adults don't get into brawls just because there's something on the grapevine they may or may not like. Any disciplined military has zero tolerance for that kind of immature behavior.
(Besides... virtue? I don't think the average soldier even cares about that XD)

@wrwrwrwr21

Ah yes, the stupid login. I have to try three to four times half the time I come here. Never fails to put one in a bad mood =(
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Posted volume 2 chapter 12 :

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Chapter_12

I apologize beforehand for anyone with a complete lack of interest in mechanical details (i.e. those who believe in magic-is-magic type). But since people keep asking me for explanations, I figure I should get around to the foundation of Daybreak's magic system at some point. This chapter is bit heavy on the talking heads, but the battle will get pretty complicated so some prior planning is necessary.
Daybreak Project
ghostering8
Astral Realm

Post by ghostering8 »

There it is chapter 12!! :mrgreen: !! thank you very much for the update!

(Hope that chapter 13 going to update soon too hehe)
unhelpfulone
Astral Realm

Post by unhelpfulone »

Thank you for the update!! :D
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

@ghostering @unhelpfulone

Thanks for your support o/

(Eh, I'm a little behind on next chapter actually thanks to Kadi getting me hooked on another LN last week. The draft is like only 1/3 done right now...)
Daybreak Project
workisnotfun
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by workisnotfun »

Just posting to show my support! This story is an amazing piece of work which I can unhesitatingly call one of my favorites. I will of course be recommending it to all of my friends and even try to start a religion centered around this work!
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

@workisnotfun
Wow, that's quite the compliment. Thank you for your support, although I would prefer if you refrained from any religions XD (false prophets are not exactly well-regarded by any religious doctrine).
But I would certainly appreciate spreading the word ^_~
Daybreak Project
adaira
Astral Realm

Post by adaira »

I loved this, I read the entire thing in one sitting. Is there any kind of art/fanart depictions of the characters? I would love to see what Kaede&co. look like apart from the image I have in my head. I especially like the characters, Kaede & Pascal in particular. My favorite scene was definitely the one at the end of Volume 1- that strong ending hooked me on the rest of the story, even if I have to wait many months for new updates.

Several times Kaede has noted her attraction to a man then immediately backpedaled- even passing out when she realized she could become pregnant, but so far she appears to be content to live in denial without fully confronting these feelings. I don't think that state of affairs can last forever, so I am interested in seeing what you decide in the end, since I can see it going multiple ways. My initial thought toward a relationship with Pascal is negative, since I think they work much better together without that complication. But I think it could work if it was done well, too.

I hope there is the most focus placed on Kaede, since those are the chapters I found to be the best. The most boring ones I think were the ones preceding the battle, where Kaede had nothing to do and was mostly just in the background. I hope there is more clashing of Kaede's viewpoint as an outsider versus everyone else's viewpoint, or things like the latest chapter where Kaede's knowledge of real life history helps to change Pascal's decisions.
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

@adaira:

Art: I wish lol. Feel free to either recommend artists to me or recommend this to an artist you know. I'm invested enough into this work that I wouldn't mind paying some commissions to get character art done. But I simply haven't had time to browse for an artist I can reach (even though I browse art regularly so I'm kinda picky ^^").

I have collected a number of artworks over the past year that's pretty similar to what I imagine certain characters look like. For example, this is the closest I've found to Kaede's:
KaedeRef.jpg
(hair color is off a shade, eye color is completely wrong, and breasts a size too large; but the overall form, expression, and presence/aura are perfect. Not that she'd wear a dress like that anytime soon xD)

Kaede's sense of self in gender and attraction is both a sensitive and slowly developing topic. I can certainly promise that the 'present state of affairs' will not last forever, but it'll take a while (hence the slow romance tag) before she gets comfortable enough to seriously tackle it. Since she's an intellectual, this kind of thing simply doesn't count naturally. It must be excessively worried over XD

Thanks much for your feedback and support, especially that part regarding the chapters you liked/didn't; very helpful. I'll keep it in mind, though there are parts where I can't avoid it since my storyboarding style naturally tries to detail out the circumstances surrounding the main events from different angles.

Part of the trouble also comes down to how Daybreak cast breaks down:

Kaede is the narrator because (1) she's from outside the world so explanations fit naturally and (2) she has the most perspective to give, including modern world analogies. But she's not really the protagonist, in the traditional sense, as she's not in the position where she has the capacity to actively drive the plot forward (except in vol1). The protagonist role belongs to Pascal, and possibly Sylv as well after vol3 gets underway.

As some reviewers have noted, this isn't really a LN-way of doing things. But so far it's (mostly) worked out ^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daybreak Project
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Volume 2 Chapter 13 Posted:

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Chapter_13

The first chapter that does not feature any major character... :o

I think I can finish this volume up with 3-4 more chapters. Sadly, no slice-of-life until next volume (those are the easiest and most fun to write). Battles and politics are hard and require a ton of brainstorming... ^^"

Vol2 is probably going to end up twice the size of vol1, wordcount-wise.
Daybreak Project
ghostering8
Astral Realm

Post by ghostering8 »

Finally! ch13 :lol: :mrgreen: after read this chapter. it just make me want more and more. :shock:

thank for the update Aorii!
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Volume 2 Chapter 14 posted...
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Chapter_14

Also note that Daybreak is now also posted on http://krytykal.org/daybreak/ now. While I'm not moving the project away from Baka-Tsuki, I'm probably going to make krytykal the primary hosting for Daybreak, simply because it makes commenting/feedback much easier, not to mention more accessible RSS feeds.
Daybreak Project

Return to “Creative works”