Rednal's Proofreading Record

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Actually, I read really fast . . . In a really wierd way. I've noticed when I read normally, whenever I see a error (unless its a really big error), I just "fix it" without noticing. So when I edit, I need to slow down and retype or read everying outloud . . . . Yup. I'm wierd like that.
Rednal
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by Rednal »

With normal books, I just grin at the errors and keep reading; there's no such thing as a book without an error in it. I just work at my normal pace. One chapter a day of the ZnT novel seems to be good. ^^
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Wow . . . I edit about 1 chapter/2 weeks . . . . . Fast . . . . .
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

The hardest part is getting started, and having the time to do it in. Find an open slot in your schedule and use that to work... grab a snack if you'd like. ^^ It works fine for me. I just start working, and don't stop until I'm done about half an hour later.

...I could read much faster (under 5 minutes), but I do have to slow down to check for errors, visualize italics, and so on. *Sweatdrops* I'm not so good at that yet. At least, not at doing it subconciously so I can go with my usual high-speed reading style.
Triwen
Astral Realm

Re: Rednal's Proofreading Record

Post by Triwen »

Rednal wrote: Page 64:
--Changed "She then whispered a rune, and they began to glow brightly." to "She then whispered a spell, and they began to glow brightly."
--Reason: Technically, you can't whisper a rune. A rune is a symbol, like the ones on Saito's hand. They have names, but... proper English doesn't allow for whispering a "rune". Whispering a "spell" seems to fit better.

I would just like to point out that you can whisper a Rune see: Uruz which if any one has watched FMP may be recognised. I agree however that "spell" is more easly understandable.
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

...Well, technically you CAN whisper a rune, but only in Old English. With the modern version, that's not really a proper usage of the word. On top of that, though, it's more like you would speak the name of a rune, rather than its literal "sound" like the previous sentence made it seem.

..So, yes. "Spell" is a better fit, as far as my knowledge sees fit to tell me.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

I think Triwen is right in this situation. I think in this context, rune refers to something like the language the Vikings (what race were they?) used. You could "say" runes. Spell isn't bad or anything.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Triwen wrote:
Rednal wrote: Page 64:
--Changed "She then whispered a rune, and they began to glow brightly." to "She then whispered a spell, and they began to glow brightly."
--Reason: Technically, you can't whisper a rune. A rune is a symbol, like the ones on Saito's hand. They have names, but... proper English doesn't allow for whispering a "rune". Whispering a "spell" seems to fit better.

I would just like to point out that you can whisper a Rune see: Uruz which if any one has watched FMP may be recognised. I agree however that "spell" is more easly understandable.
Its actually Urzu. 8)
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote: Its actually Urzu. 8)
Um, no its not, both the Rune and the call sign in FMP are Uruz, see Sousuke. It's just that the japanese pronounciation of it is Uuu-ruu-zuu rather than the western pronounciation of Oor-ooze. They also use the Ansuz rune for the command centre on the De Dannan during missions.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

SRT and PRT operators of the Pacific battle group operate under code names during field operations. These code names are letters from the Runic alphabet. SRT members are designated Uruz (Urzu) while PRT members are designated Kaunan (Kano). These runic letters each carry a symbolic meaning well suited to the units. For example, Uruz means power. There is some confusion regarding the spelling of these runic letters in English, as seen in the anime series.

The spelling of the TDD-1 SRT team name in the first Full Metal Panic series is "Uluz". This can be seen in episode 6, "Still Alive" when Sousuke activates the Arbalest for the first time after it was sent by the TDD-1 inside an SLBM. The Arbalest's screen identified him as "Uluz-7". However, in episode 6, "Edge of Heaven" of Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid, an E-mail sent to Sousuke identifies him as "Uruz-7".

This confusion and consequent double transliteration is caused by the fact that the Japanese language doesn't distinguish between R and L. Also, because Japanese speakers tend to add vocal sounds at the end of Rōmaji words, in the anime it is pronounced as "Uruzu" (or "Uluzu". Both sound the same in the Japanese language).

In the DVDs released by ADV Films, the term used in the English subtitles is "Urzu", which can be argued that when read in English it sounds the closest to the original Japanese sound. This term is used by some fansub groups for Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid. A similar transliteration problem caused by Romanization can be seen in the name of the character Alucard, from the anime Hellsing.
My bad, I got them backwards. :?
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Rednal wrote:*Page 78:
--Changed "Just remember, ojousama." to "Just remember, my lady."
--Reason: I am under the impression, from what I've read so far, that we are avoiding Japanese honorifics.
Gah! I thought I got all of those. Anyway, thanks for your help. You seem really good at making weird phrases more easily understood, I'll be sure to call on you if I come across something like that while I edit (I usually try to stay on top of all additions, instead of going through the entire chapter when it is completed).
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

*Amused* It's my job. I write enough that these things come naturally to me. ^^ I'm always around, so if you need me, send a PM. I should respond in 24 hours at most.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

First of all, it's not a job . . . . And I don't care what other people say. If you can do 1 chapter a day, that's some serious dedication.
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

It's a job to me; a task assigned to me that I am expected to complete in a timely manner. It's not so much dedication as... um... having a lot of free time. ^^ Why would I bother with doing it a little bit at a time when my nature is to do everything at once?

These aren't big chapters, after all. *Laughs*
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Jumpyshoes wrote:First of all, it's not a job . . . . And I don't care what other people say. If you can do 1 chapter a day, that's some serious dedication.
this is coming for someone who once spammed the entire "recent change" page for the current day with all his/her edits, included with rediculous Edit Summary that mocked all the B-T staff in a bizzare vengence for not being awarded B-T Editorial status immediately within the first two weeks of being here.... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”