Appreciation for the Translation of Zero no Tsukaima Thread

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Darksidevrael
Astral Realm

Re: Appreciation for the Translation of Zero no Tsukaima Thread

Post by Darksidevrael »

Thanks so much for the work so far xD
I've been trying to help to (fixing up anything that i think is a mistake in grammar or just word order) i want to help more but i need to learn japanese before i can so i trying thing ... might take along while tho so till then ill just edit what i think is wrong as i read along
L33t_SpAxXoR
Astral Realm

Post by L33t_SpAxXoR »

I've been searching forever for this series of light novels, and just got done with what's translated

/me waits patiently on the sidelines quietly drumming his fingers on his knees
souljamike
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by souljamike »

This light novel series is the best! Thanks for translating! I actually read through it like three times ^^; it's that good. Maybe I like Louise x Saito drama a bit too much.
Puiu
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Puiu »

Tnx a lot! This is one of the best light novel ever! I wish you'll never stop translating it.
Jovzin
Astral Realm

Post by Jovzin »

Guys a BIG THANK YOU to you all. I am big FAN of ZnT. I really love this anime. Last 1,5 year I had a break from anime and manga and I completely forgot to read the novels. But I am back to anime and manga world :). And my first thing is to read the ZnT novels. Pls continue with your work bcs it is really great.

THANK YOU

Jovzin
Puiu
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Puiu »

Thank you for all of your hard work!! It would take decades for an official translation to appear (if it' translated at all). Some of my favorite novels are here and many other which i haven't started reading yet :p but i will!(when i'll find the time to do it)

BTW is somebody still working on Hidan no Aria? I found it very interesting and i was wondering if i'll be able to read the next chapter by the end of summer. (collage starts in October)
Hubb
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hubb »

This thread needs more love due to all the hard work that is being put in to volume 10. <3 you.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

This series needs more translators. But good job. You get a poking thumbs up! :D
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Puiu
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Puiu »

If only i knew Japanese i would have love to help out! :( I don't like to depend on others but i have no choice.
phoenix__15
Astral Realm

Post by phoenix__15 »

I've started to learn japanese but i'm afraid it will take some time until I will know language good enough to help in translating. The begining wasn't very hard hiragana and katakana are not very difficult. I'm now learning basics gramma. I'm gonna leave kanji for the end. I wonder how much time it will take me to learn enough to be a translator.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Now i know Most of the translators are gonna kill me for not doing it their way, but you can do machine. Half of Zero no Tsukama is machine translated. But there are strict guidelines into machines. If you dont know japanese you can still help translate by using machines.

Though most people wouldnt recommend it, I would say its a plausible technique as its better to have really bad translations that can be edited into really good ones, than nothing at all.

Power to the Machine.(Just dont use babel fish XD)
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Zyzzyva165
Senior Project Translator

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

phoenix__15 wrote:I've started to learn japanese but i'm afraid it will take some time until I will know language good enough to help in translating. The begining wasn't very hard hiragana and katakana are not very difficult. I'm now learning basics gramma. I'm gonna leave kanji for the end. I wonder how much time it will take me to learn enough to be a translator.
Thanks for deciding to help out translating. :D I would say that Zero no Tsukaima is not a hard novel to work on. However, it has its difficult side as well. Since it is more of a "children's" novel, some of the expressions used are rather colloquial/informal. Since you're learning the grammar now, try learning the colloquial version at the same time. Example: matte-imasu --> matte-iru --> matteru; wasurete-shimaimasu --> wasurete-shimau --> wasurechau. Chances are that you would not find many standard textbook expressions inside this novel. Some textbooks teach these informal expressions; some don't.

Sounds daunting? Hehe, hope I didn't scare you. Just want you to be prepared for it. I learned these things through a combination of websites and friends. However, I can recommend a good grammar-learning website which covers a lot of these expressions: Tae Kim. That site is full of heavy stuffs, but you don't need most of them for ZnT, especially the more advanced ones.

Oh, and do utilize Rikai-chan to the fullest. It is I would say...indispensable.

Finally, if you encounter some problem which you really cannot resolve no matter who you ask/where you look at, post it at the Lingua Franca section, and we'll try to help out. The important thing is to have a go at it first, since that's how you learn.

It would be tough for you initially, I won't deny it. But just try to translate after you've learned the basics, make some mistakes...and you'll be impressed by your work say, 9 months from now.

All the best. 8)
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Yeah thats true. All of it. Now if i could finish teh chapter of Sns Ill move to an easier light novel such as ZnT. Its really annoying when most of your novel is kanji you dont even know, and there isnt very much furigana to even begin with. At least i have command of english language editing.
phoenix__15
Astral Realm

Post by phoenix__15 »

Zyzzy, You will not make me scare. When I decited to learn it, I've knew, that it won't be peace of cake, even if it's not scary language like some king od arabian or thai. It will take some time but I like to learn foreign languages. Anyway, thanks for advices. Until I will learn japanese good enough, I'm loking forward for more ZnT from You:) Like we all I think:-)
Puiu
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Puiu »

phoenix__15, I'm sorry if this sounds a bit impolite, but before learning something as hard as Japanese i suggest working on your English a bit more. (not that I'm that different from you) There are just too many mistakes in your post and if that were part of on translation many would have problems understanding it if they didn't know English well enough.
I've been studying it since i was about 7 years old (I'm 20 now) and i still use Firefox a lot (and i mean a lot) when I'm writing something (one of the reasons i like Firefox that much) :roll: , but i try to use verbs in the correct tense (you invented a few in your post - kinda reminds me of an friend of mine). :mrgreen:
BTW I'm also thinking of learning Japanese, but i have a few other priorities at the moment. I hope that in 2 years I'll be able to learn the basics.

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”