Zero no Tsukaima Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Macko Darlack
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Zero no Tsukaima Names and Terminology

Post by Macko Darlack »

:mrgreen: ok! by the way, in which part of the novels we are talking bout? vol 6, ch 4??? if so... i don't remember well, should read it thrice at least :lol:
By the way ASAP means as soon as possible.
thx, another thing for the dictionary :)

C'ya!

p.d.: so... we keep 'muskets' or what? :lol:
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Is メンヌヴィル really a Benubiru? I am using anime subs were he is named this way but when you read it his name actually sounds more like Menubiru (or Menubir).
Muroph
Astral Realm

Post by Muroph »

what about Menvil?
it's a real name.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

True, haven;t thought about it. But yes it sounds like Menvil. :|
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

who is he??
Muroph
Astral Realm

Post by Muroph »

Spoiler! :
he's the fire mage who invades the academy in the 2nd season of the anime.
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

drat! really, i forgot!! :lol: yay, in the subbed-anime I saw (spanish-subbed) he was sth like Merneville, and I didn't related both names :lol: thx :wink:
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Reposting all names and tittles again plus a few new ones added

Names:
Louise Françoise Le Blanc de la Vallière
Hiraga Saito
Kirche Augusta Frederica von Anhalt Zerbst (Her Farmiliar is "Flame")
Siesta
Tabitha (Tabitha the Snowstorm)
Sylphid (Wind Rhyme Dragon)
Guiche de Gramont (Guiche the Bronze)
Verdandi
Valkyrie
Montmorency Margarita la Fère de Montmorency
Robin
Malicorne (Malicorne the Windward)
Old Osman
Motsognir
Longueville (Fouquet the Crumbling Dirt)
Colbert (Colbert the Flame Serpent)
Chevreuse (Chevreuse the Red Clay)
Marteau
Pelisson
Styx
Minican
Ajax
Gimli
Captain Wardes
Prince Wales Tudor of Albion
Princess Henrietta
Cardinal Mazarin
Agnes
Richmon (Tristain finances minister)
Eleonore
Cattleya
Jessica
Scarron
Gandalfr
Cromwell
Sheffield
General Hawkings (Albion General)
Stix (Malicorne's upperclassman aboard the ship)
Bowood (Captured Albion captain POW) [ボーウッド]
De Poitiers (Tristain General) [ド・ポワチエ]
marquis Handenburg (Germania's general)
Wimpffen (another Tristain general, later became supreme commander after Poitiers death)
Rene (dragon rider, Saito's friend)
Menvil (Albion's mercenary that attacked academy)
Charlotte (Tabitha's true name)

Terms:
Founder Brimir
Tristain Academy of Magic
Alvíss Dining Hall
Fenrir's Library
Vestri Courtyard
Bourdonné Street
La Rochelle
Summon Servant
Contract Servant
The Bell of Slumber
Void
Familiar of Void
Lord Spee's Sword
Ecu Gold
New Gold
Staff of Destruction (M72 Rocket Launcher)
Zero Fighter (Dragon's Raiment)
Delflinger
Varsenda (Tristain capital ship) [ヴュセンタール]
Redoubtable (Tristain battle ship)

Places:
La Rochelle
Marie Grande
Scarborough
Newcastle
Albion
Halkeginia
Kingdom of Tristain
Germania
Dartanes
Romalia
Gallia

Cities
Tristainia
Rosais (Albion Port)
Londonium (Albion capital)
Al Kairo (city in the east)
D'Angleterre (Agnes hometown)
Dartanes (Albion's port)
Tarbes (Tristain town that was attacked)
South Gotha (Albion castle/town)
Lytts (not sure about this one, Galia's capital)
Seanna2k
Astral Realm

Post by Seanna2k »

Looks mostly fine, but how about adding Manticore Corps. ? I think that's what is meant by Montei Kora corps. from the description of their magical beast and the sound of the phonetics. And Styx would be a much better name as you posted, since Stix doesn't make sense, whereas Styx is a mythological river. That is, unless there are 2 people, one named Stix and the other Styx, but the later volumes (after Volume 4 don't seem complete, so I'm not sure). I'm not sure about Verdandi though, since it might also be Belledandy, as in 'beauty' and 'dandy', considering that the familiar DOES belong to the narcissistic Guiche. It might also make more sense, since Tristain's names seem to be based on French. I don't think it's the mythological Verdandi from the Greek Moirai, as the description doesn't seem to fit. As for the headmaster of the magic academy, I believe it is as said, his name is Osman, and not Osmond. As for the translation, some of the words need to be reorganized, as oriental languages don't always have the same meaning, as they are situational, and their structure is seemingly broken when directly translated into english. Mere sentence restructuring though. Nobody likes signing contracts in oriental languages, right? Also, I noticed that Frigg was used for the ball if I'm not mistaken. That seems fine, as Frigg is another naming for Freyja of Norse mythology, who also owned the Brisingamen (which charms men when worn amongst other things) in Skegg's Edda. As for Derflinger, Saito's sword, I believe Derflinger is better than Delflinger, as Derflinger is a newer spelling of the surname Doerflinger, and Baron Doerflinger was a war hero before if I am not mistaken. If I remember right, didn't Derflinger call himself a Lord? If so, Derflinger would be a better choice of name. As for origins, Albion would come from Albia, which is ancient Britain so hence the english naming system, Tristain seems to be based on France, which has a long history with Britian (Albia), and Germania seems to be based on Germany, seeing their warrior and flaming nature (German war tactics have always been sudden and destructive). Then there's Ragudorian which sounds like a Japanese phonetics for Ragdorian. I think there are too many interchanges between Ragudorian and Ragdorian and Lagdorian, but I'm guessing that Ragdorian was meant. That's all I have for now, as I'm not always free, but if anything looks weird, I'll try to bring it up. All the best to you people.

[Edit] deleted quote because it is only one post above and since user did not log in spoiler/quote tags dont work. Hope you dont mind.
-Nerevarine
Last edited by Seanna2k on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted quote to pretty it up, spoiler tag didnt work
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

Hi Seanna2k!!!
Seanna2k wrote:Looks mostly fine, but how about adding Manticore Corps. ? I think that's what is meant by Montei Kora corps. from the description of their magical beast and the sound of the phonetics. And Styx would be a much better name as you posted, since Stix doesn't make sense, whereas Styx is a mythological river. That is, unless there are 2 people, one named Stix and the other Styx, but the later volumes (after Volume 4 don't seem complete, so I'm not sure).
since i'm no native english-speaker, didn't fall on this, but it surely is named before the river. from ancient greek Στύξ Stýx.

Seanna2k wrote:I'm not sure about Verdandi though, since it might also be Belledandy, as in 'beauty' and 'dandy', considering that the familiar DOES belong to the narcissistic Guiche. It might also make more sense, since Tristain's names seem to be based on French. I don't think it's the mythological Verdandi from the Greek Moirai, as the description doesn't seem to fit.
here i disagree. as i see it, the author uses a lot of germanian/saxon/nordic names. he surely was thinking in the Norn Verðandi. the . the other Norns, Urðr and Skuld, are symbolized as for Fate and Debt/Future. Verðandi has no real essence of the "will be" things, and she's considered the beautiest and less powerful of them. i don't think a francization is needed here. and Tristain's base on French are merhypothesis, guess so, because then what's Gallia?? spain and portugal?? for me Tristain is the Netherlands.

Seanna2k wrote:Also, I noticed that Frigg was used for the ball if I'm not mistaken. That seems fine, as Frigg is another naming for Freyja of Norse mythology, who also owned the Brisingamen (which charms men when worn amongst other things) in Skegg's Edda.
i disagree here too, i'm afraid... in Norse Myth~gy, Frigg is the highest goddess of the Æsir, while Freyja is the highest goddess of the Vanir. (wikiped says here... but it also says that maybe she was one goddess in the beginning, and later separated for different pantheons. but the article also talks bout Frīge, from germanic myth~gy... but since the author's supposed base here is norse myth-gy, we must choose between Frigg and Feryja... maybe some historical hints help us.

Seanna2k wrote:As for Derflinger, Saito's sword, I believe Derflinger is better than Delflinger, as Derflinger is a newer spelling of the surname Doerflinger, and Baron Doerflinger was a war hero before if I am not mistaken. If I remember right, didn't Derflinger call himself a Lord? If so, Derflinger would be a better choice of name.
what i got when searching google, is that Derflinger is the nowadays spell of the ancient Doerflinger name (c. 1300). check here plz

Seanna2k wrote:As for origins, Albion would come from Albia, which is ancient Britain so hence the english naming system, Tristain seems to be based on France, which has a long history with Britian (Albia), and Germania seems to be based on Germany, seeing their warrior and flaming nature (German war tactics have always been sudden and destructive).
well, for me the equivalences are: Albion (UK, or at least England), Tristain (Netherlands), Germania (Germany), Romallia (Italy), Gallia (France) and the east are Arab Countries, where Holy Land is, and where Crusades where mainly held (better said, against)

Seanna2k wrote:Then there's Ragudorian which sounds like a Japanese phonetics for Ragdorian. I think there are too many interchanges between Ragudorian and Ragdorian and Lagdorian, but I'm guessing that Ragdorian was meant. That's all I have for now, as I'm not always free, but if anything looks weird, I'll try to bring it up. All the best to you people.
i also agree with Ragdorian :D however, now i0ve come to an hypothesis... what if it is Lac Dorian?? i mean, "lac" is the frenx word for Lake. and well, another idea is that maybe it could be Lac d'Òrleans... it sounds forced, but guess it fits... but i'm not sure about the pronunciation of Òrleans in japanese, so maybe it's not. certainly maybe not... any of you japanese-speakers and editors could check it up plz??

:D regards!!!
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

sorry for the double-posting, but i have a question about "Al Kairo". why is it like that? guess it fits with Egypt's cpaital city of El Cairo (arab romanized Al-Qāhira)... but if we take the city as being eastern (middle-east arab), the "Al" is justified, and then it must be sth like Al-Kairo, Al-Cairo or Al-Khairo, what i mean is that i think that arab names have a "-" joining words, 'cause "al-" is the article :D
seanna2k
Astral Realm

Post by seanna2k »

Macko Darlack wrote:Hi Seanna2k!!!
here i disagree. as i see it, the author uses a lot of germanian/saxon/nordic names. he surely was thinking in the Norn Verðandi. the . the other Norns, Urðr and Skuld, are symbolized as for Fate and Debt/Future. Verðandi has no real essence of the "will be" things, and she's considered the beautiest and less powerful of them. i don't think a francization is needed here. and Tristain's base on French are merhypothesis, guess so, because then what's Gallia?? spain and portugal?? for me Tristain is the Netherlands.
Hmm, you might be right there. Now that you say that, Verdandi seems to fit better.
Macko Darlack wrote:
Seanna2k wrote:Also, I noticed that Frigg was used for the ball if I'm not mistaken. That seems fine, as Frigg is another naming for Freyja of Norse mythology, who also owned the Brisingamen (which charms men when worn amongst other things) in Skegg's Edda.
i disagree here too, i'm afraid... in Norse Myth~gy, Frigg is the highest goddess of the Æsir, while Freyja is the highest goddess of the Vanir. (wikiped says here... but it also says that maybe she was one goddess in the beginning, and later separated for different pantheons. but the article also talks bout Frīge, from germanic myth~gy... but since the author's supposed base here is norse myth-gy, we must choose between Frigg and Feryja... maybe some historical hints help us.
I believe that they are both the same. Frigg is portrayed as the wife of Odin, whereas Freyja is portrayed as the favorite concubine of Odin. Why I think they are the same is that they are very similar, and Frigg seems to be Friggjar or frjá in some cases. More conclusively, they both carry the same items (Thor is known for his Mjolnir). Frigg and Freyja both have a falcon feather cloak that allows them to transfigure themselves into a falcon and fly. Both had a powerful necklace, and have the personification of the Earth as their parent, and both are called upon to assist in childbirth. They both also have 2 children. However, thinking about the novel, I believe that the author of Zero no Tsukaima was thinking of the version where Frigg and Freyja are separate, since, although very similar, Frigg is often portrayed as the goddess of love within marriage, whereas Freyja is portrayed as the goddess of womanly love, and the novel did have Colbert say (to Longueville) that it is said that those who dance together in the Ball of Frigg will forever be together. So if we were to consider Frigg and Freyja separately, then Frigg would be a better embodiment of such a committed relationship. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
Macko Darlack wrote:
Seanna2k wrote:As for Derflinger, Saito's sword, I believe Derflinger is better than Delflinger, as Derflinger is a newer spelling of the surname Doerflinger, and Baron Doerflinger was a war hero before if I am not mistaken. If I remember right, didn't Derflinger call himself a Lord? If so, Derflinger would be a better choice of name.
what i got when searching google, is that Derflinger is the nowadays spell of the ancient Doerflinger name (c. 1300). check here plz
I suggest Derflinger be used instead of the listed Delflinger, as it suits better, since Baron Derflinger would also be addressed as a Lord, and he was a war hero at that.
Macko Darlack wrote:
Seanna2k wrote:As for origins, Albion would come from Albia, which is ancient Britain so hence the english naming system, Tristain seems to be based on France, which has a long history with Britian (Albia), and Germania seems to be based on Germany, seeing their warrior and flaming nature (German war tactics have always been sudden and destructive).
well, for me the equivalences are: Albion (UK, or at least England), Tristain (Netherlands), Germania (Germany), Romallia (Italy), Gallia (France) and the east are Arab Countries, where Holy Land is, and where Crusades where mainly held (better said, against)
I wouldn't know, but it's just that I notice the naming system to be as such, that's all.
Macko Darlack wrote:
Seanna2k wrote:Then there's Ragudorian which sounds like a Japanese phonetics for Ragdorian. I think there are too many interchanges between Ragudorian and Ragdorian and Lagdorian, but I'm guessing that Ragdorian was meant. That's all I have for now, as I'm not always free, but if anything looks weird, I'll try to bring it up. All the best to you people.
i also agree with Ragdorian :D however, now i0ve come to an hypothesis... what if it is Lac Dorian?? i mean, "lac" is the frenx word for Lake. and well, another idea is that maybe it could be Lac d'Òrleans... it sounds forced, but guess it fits... but i'm not sure about the pronunciation of Òrleans in japanese, so maybe it's not. certainly maybe not... any of you japanese-speakers and editors could check it up plz??

Lac d'Orleans might be possible, but I was also thinking if it could be Lake Doiran, which is somewhere in Europe as well, around Macedonia. Not only is it beautiful but it is also a place of conflict. What's more, it's a shared lake, while also being near a hilly area.

Cheers!

P.S. Hopefully I didn't cause even more confusion instead of helping to make things clearer. I don't have copies, so I can only research the stuff up should it look strange to me. Either that or draw on whatever I remember about my mythology, LOL.
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

seanna2k wrote:I believe that they are both the same. Frigg is portrayed as the wife of Odin, whereas Freyja is portrayed as the favorite concubine of Odin. Why I think they are the same is that they are very similar, and Frigg seems to be Friggjar or frjá in some cases. More conclusively, they both carry the same items (Thor is known for his Mjolnir). Frigg and Freyja both have a falcon feather cloak that allows them to transfigure themselves into a falcon and fly. Both had a powerful necklace, and have the personification of the Earth as their parent, and both are called upon to assist in childbirth. They both also have 2 children. However, thinking about the novel, I believe that the author of Zero no Tsukaima was thinking of the version where Frigg and Freyja are separate, since, although very similar, Frigg is often portrayed as the goddess of love within marriage, whereas Freyja is portrayed as the goddess of womanly love, and the novel did have Colbert say (to Longueville) that it is said that those who dance together in the Ball of Frigg will forever be together. So if we were to consider Frigg and Freyja separately, then Frigg would be a better embodiment of such a committed relationship. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
jeje, i only want to make it clear that they are not the same. at least, they are the same, but in different pantheons. Frigg is Nordic's, while Freyja is Germanic, think so... as i said and read, maybe they were two separated deities, then unified by both pantheons, and later separated again... i also think of Frigg, besides it's Nordic, if someone's supposed to be together with other forever, guess it oughts to be in "love within marriage" :D
no man, we're here to learn :D if u knew how much i've learnt here :D btw, why in English is it the word "Ball" for a reunion to dance?? :? :? :?

Seanna2k wrote:I suggest Derflinger be used instead of the listed Delflinger, as it suits better, since Baron Derflinger would also be addressed as a Lord, and he was a war hero at that.
yay, sorry i didn't understood what u were pointing... :lol:

Seanna2k wrote:Lac d'Orleans might be possible, but I was also thinking if it could be Lake Doiran, which is somewhere in Europe as well, around Macedonia. Not only is it beautiful but it is also a place of conflict. What's more, it's a shared lake, while also being near a hilly area.
first, i was mistaken with the spellinf of Orlèans :D mmm but in case it were Lake Doiran, Gallia must be Greece/Macedonia/Yugoslavia (?) mmm it would really help if the author made a map, like Tolkien did :D think we need more opinions...

regards!!! :mrgreen:

really debating helps to make things clearer :D
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

Macko Darlack wrote:mmm it would really help if the author made a map, like Tolkien did :D think we need more opinions...
here you are :)
PS it was not made by me, so no critisism please :)
taken from this wiki page.
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

yay, i knew that map already ^^U but guess it's not official right?? i mean, wasn't done by YN or the publisher of the novels, right? there are some things in wikiped that are not too reliable...if u look carefully, they write "Tristania" to Tristain... :roll:

C'ya!!

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”