Zero no Tsukaima translation and editing discussion

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

frantzgui
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Zero no Tsukaima translation and editing discussion

Post by frantzgui »

Lunar Vitae wrote:A Portuguese translation would only require someone who knows Portuguese and the language from which they translate. You can make a thread to get attention, and hopefully such a translator happens to see it. Refer to this page (Step 2, section B) for more information.

I raised the topic according to the rules , waiting for the moderator authorize, we hope you have a good person to help me * - *
bygghandel
Astral Realm

Post by bygghandel »

Are there any particular chapters that need editing, right now?
Shadowys
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Zero No Tsukaima

Post by Shadowys »

Volume 19 has not been edited I think. Its not MTL, but I have not TLCed it.
Winter's the time of the year,
when the cold chill the skin,
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
your eyes shedding a frozen tear.
Our eyes met,
and warmth filled the air.
_SETI_
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by _SETI_ »

Hi,
I'm planning to do pdfs for all volumes of main story. Are you okay with that?
At the moment, I have volume 20 ready for upload.
As translators, I have mentioned Shadowys and Purean. Is that correct?
If you don't have any problems with that, it would be good if you could tell me who translated which volume(so I know who to mention in which pdf).
I hope, that I used right thread for this...

Thanks
PDFs are created for single page view. If you use anything else, you will have to zoom.
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka, date a live

Post by veritatis cupitor »

I'm back!!! (for a chapter at least).
volume 13 chapter 7 (I know, we decided that it should be retranslated. It's just that I'm not sure, it'll ever be)

1. Until now, they have continued attacking, so this time they will surely come!” (not very sure with translation in last sentences)
What do you think? Previous translator hoped for some input, it seems.

2. v13 c7 -
But when I was alone facing danger, I think I would run.

3. v13 c7 -
But......... I can't lose here.
Is this a statement? Should it be in double inverted comma?

4. v13 c7 -
That's how a boy would be thinking; they didn't want to lose in an unimportant fight.

5. c7-
Meanwhile, Saito had left wanting to go back to the Cafeteria. Ah, if I may say a word, I don't want to meet with those eyes. That was my true intention.
Afternoon came with the same menu of training, aimlessly wondering, impatiently running until the sound of panting could be heard, it was Colbert.

6. c7-
Since have been prepared in Colbert room before, in front of Saito was a round looking object, a huge black battery.

7. c7-
Could it be yesterday that Julio brought the weapon from that warehouse to here?

8. c7-
“This thing here..... is from dragon raiment, that aircraft you called, wasn't it?”
I wanted to change it to -
“This thing here..... is from dragon raiment, that thing you called aircraft, wasn't it?”
Is it according to text?

9. c7 -
This is part of the zero fighter, it couldn't be wrong.

10. c7-
But there is no consent it can connect to anything in this world

11. c7-
“First of all, note what electricity was used by that aircraft! It is a speedometer tool, navigation tools, and that engine which was rotating by oil to create power. And the one that provided all of that electricity is this box in the center. “I see!”
Saito looking excited too, made a fist.

12. c7-
“Then in this aircraft, this box is precisely the device that was providing electricity! If that thing were to rotate continuously, electricity would be made and if we connect it to this box, the aircraft's life will be renewed.
“Then... the zero fighter dynamo is used to connect with this! Magnificent!”

13. c7-
“Yes.”
Wind elemental magic, distant viewing type, able to see far away. In mister Ostmand's room, there is an “observing mirror”, which is a magic tool.
“Observation is a really handy spell, but it will not help the fight directly.”

Is the 2nd statement, Louise's statement or just a normal statement in story?

14. c7-
But it's related to divination.

15. c7 -
The wind treasure has changed owner a few times.

16. c7 -
“What I need to do is just read.”
So, does it apply to another Void user too? Louise's heart wondered, and Vittorio answered.
“The treasures did not choose four Void users. Such is the reason, however, we are brothers.”

Is the 1st sentence thought, meant to be in italic?

17. c7-
Taking a deep breath for gathering courage, her big breasts moved up and down. And then with a determined look, Tiffania opened her eyes. Resolute to face any destiny that may lie.

18. c7-
Vittorio received the Founder's prayer book from Tiffania, with a similar hesitation to see, and opened it.
However...... this time a page in the Founder's prayer book started radiating bright light.
Vittorio was illuminated by that dazzling light, the dignity of the fifth saint was shaken. Meanwhile, Julio, with the same ever modest look, crumbled to the floor.
“Your Holiness..... oh, your Holiness......”
Henrietta, was amazed at that shining light.
Louise too, couldn't say anything, continued watching that scene.
That moment witnessed the other users gain Void.
The second Void user, Pope Vittorio.
Inside the light, Vittorio read the characters that appeared.
“Upper center in the middle page. World Door”.

19. c7-
“With all honour, could you demonstrate it for me?”

seems to formal for Colbert.

20. c7-
And then....... swinging the staff so it pointed to the air.
The first time that was shown....... something that resembled a small dot, a speck.
Like a sparkling light of a crystal, floating in the sky...... that kind of scene.

21. c7-
The name of the spell is resurrected.

22. c7-
“That is...... Saito's birthplace.“
Is this Louise's sentence?

23. c7-
Those tall looking towers..... many towers forming rows is a city, Louise has never seen scenery like this.

24. c7-
The spell I used right now only reflects The World, not even past this point.

25. c7-
I, Look at the fact that he came from that world.

26. c7-
Louise, in choosing the option, we took the meaning the other options we discarded.

27. c7-
Once a day, it could delivered two or three times.

28. c7-
I am hoping, somehow this mail can reach you, so the fee always payed.
Today, I made your favorite, hamburger. Like when cutting an onion, tears flowed.
"Are you well?
I'm so worried just thinking that. I can't think anything besides that.
Whatever you do, I couldn't care.
But please show your face.''

29. c7-
Drip*, tears dropped to the display screen.
Seems like the translator wanted to do something special here but couldn't do it. Do you have any idea? Perhaps star marks on both sides, like *Drip* but the first star turned into drop somehow.

30. c7 -
Saito, even lying to the extent of hurting himself...... but right now, what did I do to him?

Initially, I thought to do some light editing and it turned like this. :(
ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU TRANSLATOR SAN.
Arcorann
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Arcorann »

Ordinarily, I'd post raws corresponding to those lines. However, simply through scrolling through the raws I found even more translation errors. I'm sure there are some errors that have escaped both of us, so I'd like to see whether Shadowys will do the full retranslation first.
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

Currently I have no time to do the re-tl first, since V21 and 22 is still not finished, but what I'm doing is really close to re-tling... haha

But I guess I'll continue to do this for the moment, since there's no other way that others who would hope to reread the series before going to V22 can get the story without being mislead.

I'll post the re-tl tmr when I wake up.

Thank you both too! Do tell if you would like to be invited into the discord server we have (I'll pm you guys), the tls and other editors are inside.
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

I'm quite sure it needs re-translation.
@ Shadowys - Do you want me to jump to a particular volume containing less errors? I'll have to sign up in discord by the way :lol: . Never used it. If it's a better platform, sure I'll do it. Don't expect me to remain active much for at least 1 year more. Hopefully I'll get more time after an year. :)
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

Hmm, maybe try another volume and see if the problem persists.

Nah, it's just for emergency contacts and stuff and the next new thing. This forum also works fine imo.
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

volume 14 chapter 1 too required a lot of edits with the help of raws. So I skipped posting its slip-ups.
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

Noted with thanks veris
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

Good enough translation in this chapter. I hope you people will help to make it better.

Volume14 Chapter2 -
1. Tiffania's sharp, pointy ears were covered perfectly by the hood, a much better fit than her usual hat, since none of the Philipe? believers would dare lay a hand on a nun. Just the perfect safety charm.

2 . Inside a courtyard surrounded by five towers and one main tower, every single civil servant, commander and priest board ships, each decorated with specific religious crests.

3 . "Louise, did Saito really go back to his world? You must have spoke to the Pope and Julio(?). Did the Pope really use void magic to send him back"

4 . cloth made of purple coarse fabric was laid down from the staircase onwards to the central part of the centre.

5 . Even the young boy selling water who was yelling "Hari!"(?) took off his cap and drew a cross in front of his chest.

6 . The Kingdom of Gallia IS a full-fledged member of the alliance of kings
Is the capital 'IS' a mistake?

7 . If you think of it thoroughly, what the Pope said wasn't entirely incorrect.
or
When she thought of it thoroughly, what the Pope said wasn't entirely incorrect.

8 . H-Hearing you say you 'do not possess the skills a Queen should have' or similar topics, I would be in a troubled position.

9. Since I first knew you, you were like this.
or
When I first met you, you were already like this.

10 . Numerous times of wasting himself, but trying his best to save things for the last minute, the knight who belongs only to Louise.
The partner made from spending day after day together, a solid bond unites us together.
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

_SETI_ wrote:Hi,
I'm planning to do pdfs for all volumes of main story. Are you okay with that?
At the moment, I have volume 20 ready for upload.
As translators, I have mentioned Shadowys and Purean. Is that correct?
If you don't have any problems with that, it would be good if you could tell me who translated which volume(so I know who to mention in which pdf).
I hope, that I used right thread for this...

Thanks
There are a lot of translators for the series, not just us, and you can find them here:
https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/inde ... gistration

However, you should also credit veritatis cupitor (as an editor) for starting this thread to reedit a lot of the volumes to make them readable.
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

veritatis cupitor wrote:Good enough translation in this chapter. I hope you people will help to make it better.

Volume14 Chapter2 -
1. Tiffania's sharp, pointy ears were covered perfectly by the hood, a much better fit than her usual hat, since none of the Philipe? believers would dare lay a hand on a nun. Just the perfect safety charm.

2 . Inside a courtyard surrounded by five towers and one main tower, every single civil servant, commander and priest board ships, each decorated with specific religious crests.

3 . "Louise, did Saito really go back to his world? You must have spoke to the Pope and Julio(?). Did the Pope really use void magic to send him back"

4 . cloth made of purple coarse fabric was laid down from the staircase onwards to the central part of the centre.

5 . Even the young boy selling water who was yelling "Hari!"(?) took off his cap and drew a cross in front of his chest.

6 . The Kingdom of Gallia IS a full-fledged member of the alliance of kings
Is the capital 'IS' a mistake?

7 . If you think of it thoroughly, what the Pope said wasn't entirely incorrect.
or
When she thought of it thoroughly, what the Pope said wasn't entirely incorrect.

8 . H-Hearing you say you 'do not possess the skills a Queen should have' or similar topics, I would be in a troubled position.

9. Since I first knew you, you were like this.
or
When I first met you, you were already like this.

10 . Numerous times of wasting himself, but trying his best to save things for the last minute, the knight who belongs only to Louise.
The partner made from spending day after day together, a solid bond unites us together.
I looked into the volume itself. I think it has been MTL'ed and heavily edited.

I'll be using the chinese raws here since I dont have the jap clear text raws :

1. From "Agnes..." to "...than usual"
亚尼艾斯这样向大家说明道。
蒂法妮婭那尖尖的耳朵完全被头巾遮挡住了。比平时戴的帽子显得更合身。因为没有普里米爾教徒会对修女出手。可以说是最好的护身符。
不知道是不是这个原因,蒂法妮婭表情比平时显得更有活力。

Agnes explained to everyone.
Tiffania's pointy ears were completely covered by her hood. It was a better fit than the hat she wore normally. This was the perfect safety charm she could have, since nobody will dare to do anything towards a Brimir Church nun.

2. 在被五座塔和本塔包围着的中庭里,各文官,武官以及司祭乘坐在描绘的有各种各样宗派花纹的龙鞍(japanese was 竜籠)上。
Ministers, generals and priests sat on dragon ships(not sure of the right term) decorated with various kinds of religious crest in the courtyard surround by the five elemental towers and the main tower.

3. “露易丝,才人大人真的回去自己的世界了吗?你在这之前和猊下以及塞薩雷大人说了些什么吧。猊下真的使用“虚无”将才人大人送回去了吗?”
猊下 and 塞薩雷=>japanese is 聖下やチェザーレ, which refers to the pope and Sir Chesaré (Full name of julio is Julio Chesaré), so here this is correct.

4. 从广场的中央到旋梯的出口处为止都铺满了紫色的呢绒布。
The coarse fabric here is https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%A9 ... 7%E3%83%A3 and it is a type of coarse fabric like canvas.
Maybe it can be translated as "Purple canvas was laid down from the center of the courtyard all the way to the ladder".

5. 大声を張り上げて
here "Hari" can be deleted. It just means yell loudly.
Even the young boy yelling loudly to sell water took off his cap and drew a cross in front of his chest.

6. here is should be lower cased.

7. 仔细想想的话,教皇所说的也没什么错。
Here I think it should be her who is thinking about it.

8. “…….听您轻松的说出“没有作为女王的气量”之类的话,我会感到很为难呢。如果被谁听见了的话,不是会很严重吗”
"... I'm troubled at how easy you describe yourself "to not possess the skills a Queen should have". Wouldn't it be a serious matter if anyone were to hear this?"

9. 你从以前开始就是这样的。
You've always been like this since I first met you.

10. 数次自暴自弃,却每每在最后关头力挽狂澜,只属于露易丝的骑士。
日复一日所产生的无可代替的羁袢,牢固有力的将我们链接了起来。

I took some creative liberty in tl-ing this:

All those times when he gave up on himself only to pull himself together at the last minute and defeat whatever challenges that came his way, he was a knight that belonged only to Louise.

Strong bonds that grow deeper with each passing day, chained our destinies together.
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor