Zero no Tsukaima translation and editing discussion

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Zero no Tsukaima translation and editing discussion

Post by Cthaeh »

On the topic of the recently added MTL'd page, as unapproved MTL (and from a non-registered user) I might have deleted it immediately according to the MTL policy had I been the first one involved. Now that Shadowys is involved and handling it as project staff, the issue is probably in better hands than mine, but that's my interpretation of the MTL policy.
Shadowys
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Zero No Tsukaima

Post by Shadowys »

I wanted to delete it, but I can't find the button for it except to just delete all the text (so I just deleted the entry), or is that the way it is done?
Winter's the time of the year,
when the cold chill the skin,
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
your eyes shedding a frozen tear.
Our eyes met,
and warmth filled the air.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Ah, you weren't in the translator group on the wiki yet, so that's why. I added you, so you should now have a delete option under the "More" tab/button in the upper right.
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

Thanks! I've now deleted the entry.
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka, date a live

Post by veritatis cupitor »

Shadowys wrote:Sorry for the late reply. Got caught up in house-moving.

I think I'll leave it to be re-translated when I have the time. There's too much to edit.
Good to know. :D
ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU TRANSLATOR SAN.
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

I apologize if this is rude but I'm wondering something: do you guys translate the volumes from the original raws or do you translate the volumes from Chinese translations?
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

I cant speak for all of them but I mostly take the Chinese translations because its the one I can get easily around my area. Not really much of a difference the two, except where the kanji is same and its open to interpretation. We don't accept any other language though. Only Chinese and Japanese is accepted as the basis for translation.
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

Cool.

I was asking that because I've occasionally heard that some of the English translations are just some "translator" plopping down a machine translation and calling it a day.

Still regarding translating from Chinese, isn't there the issue of translations from translations? Like with doujin translations for example, translators seem to really push for getting the original Japanese versions, assuming the doujin was originally in Japanese, so as to not get faulty translations. Have there been issues with LN translations due to a source actually being a translation of the original?

I'll give you an example of what I've heard and read:
Vol13 Ch7. Though BakaTsuki have messed this part up:
“Each element of Void has its own uniqueness. It's not part of the four element system..... However, it's diverged among us. It seems my basic type is a movement element. Either my familiar or the spells I use are like that. Yours is offensive.”
“Then how about Tiffania? Or the Gallia void user?”
“At this time, we are yet to know. But it's related to divination. That's what we want to find out right now. Then your Majesty, Queen Henrietta......”
Where it should be:
"There are also various kinds of Systems within the Void, although it is not as clear cut as the Four Elements... but distinct types of systems exist. I seem to be of the 'Movement' system; my familiar is so, along with my spells. It is the same as how you're responsible for the 'Attack' (system)."
"Then what is about Tiffania's? And the Gallian Void user's?"
"We haven't clarified this part yet. However, we could hypothesize. This step is what are going to do next. So Your Majesty, Queen Henrietta..."
Chinese translation:
「『虚无』中也有各式各样的系统,虽然并不如四系统那么明确……但是似乎存在着笼统的系统分类。我似乎是『移动』系,使魔是这样,咒语也是。就跟你负责『攻击』是一样的。」
「那么,蒂芬妮亚是?高卢的承担者又是?」
「这部分尚未厘清。只是,可以推测。接下来就是要进行这个步骤。那么,汉丽塔女王陛下……」
The person who mentioned this generally reads the LNs in Chinese.

Another example:
As for Derf's "ambiguous answer" about the fake motive... I blame Bakatsuki again.
BT version:
“Well, that's not for me to know. It's the way partner’s heart feels.”

“Well, if that’s the case… then it will be my true choice, I guess.”

“I guess, it will be the true choice.”
Official Chinese version:
「我不知道,这问题我也不懂。是伙伴你自己内心的问题吧?」
「如果,真的是那样的话……我该怎么办才好呢?」
「是啊,该怎么办才好呢?

Translated: "I don't know, I don't understand this problem either. It's partner's own internal problem right?"

"If, that's really the case... what should I do?"

"Yeah, what should (you) do?"
Derf is not saying Saito's feelings was faked by the runes, but that he doesn't know if it is true, and ultimately he doesn't know what to do either, if Saito doesn't.
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

Generally translating Chinese from Japanese is much easier and straightforward as Chinese tend to lack grammar. The hard part is writing sentence with context because Japanese sentences tend to omit them. Translating to English though is another matter entirely since English has a much rigid grammar and English tends to omit sounds in sentences that convey emotions. Of course, for chinese there is the problem of minor omits, but it tends to be much less than what you can find in any other language from Japanese.

We're currently in the process of finding mistakes in translations as some of the translators use machines to translate, or simply they have a bad command of the language. If you find any, report it here, like how veritatis has done, though he focuses on the grammar. Maybe you can also help out after reading the originals/ Chinese translations.
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

Shadowys wrote:Generally translating Chinese from Japanese is much easier and straightforward as Chinese tend to lack grammar. The hard part is writing sentence with context because Japanese sentences tend to omit them. Translating to English though is another matter entirely since English has a much rigid grammar and English tends to omit sounds in sentences that convey emotions. Of course, for chinese there is the problem of minor omits, but it tends to be much less than what you can find in any other language from Japanese.

We're currently in the process of finding mistakes in translations as some of the translators use machines to translate, or simply they have a bad command of the language. If you find any, report it here, like how veritatis has done, though he focuses on the grammar. Maybe you can also help out after reading the originals/ Chinese translations.
Unfortunately I don't know either language well so I can't help but if I did, I would help. Those were actually from someone else. He might help.
Shadowys
Project Translator

Post by Shadowys »

Can you the origins of these?
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
Our eyes met,
Arcorann
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Arcorann »

@Shadowys: They're from the Spacebattles thread I linked earlier. Here's the page from which the v11c10 quote was taken.

@wellis: I agree that there is a clear decline in quality of the translations for the later volumes, which is something that the people here are in the process of rectifying (albeit slowly). V13c7, for example, is currently being completely retranslated by Shadowys.

As for the issue of Japanese vs. Chinese translations, this was one of the reasons why I decided to start providing text from the Japanese raws in this thread. For example, here are the Japanese raws for the aforementioned quote regarding Saito's "fake motive" (as well as some context): (v11c10 p.222)
「なあデルフ」
「なんだね?」
「俺の……、ルイズへの気持ちっていうかさ、それもやっぱり、"使い魔のルーン"が寄
越した、偽りの感情だったんかな」
しばらくデルフリシガーは考え込んでいたが……、
「さあね。そいつは俺にもわからねえ。相棒の心のことだろうが」
「もし、そうだったとしたら……、俺はどうすりゃいいんだろうな」
「さて、どうすりゃいいんだろうなあ」

However, I don't have the ability to translate these properly either, and so I'm largely relying on Shadowys' translation skills here.
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

Cool.

Sorry about not mentioning thebsource of the posts earlier. I didn't know how you guys would've felt about being linked to other forums so I didn't link you right away when I should have.
frantzgui
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by frantzgui »

Hello I am one of many Brazilian fans znt , I wonder what the chances of you translate to Portuguese the novels , and what are the latest news ??
it would be possible to make the 5 season?
Lunar Vitae
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel: Maria-sama ga Miteru

Post by Lunar Vitae »

A Portuguese translation would only require someone who knows Portuguese and the language from which they translate. You can make a thread to get attention, and hopefully such a translator happens to see it. Refer to this page (Step 2, section B) for more information.
Feel free to contact me here, on Discord (#5703), or on the wiki (Leviticus)!

Join our Discord!

Current Projects:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (Project Manager, Editor)

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”