Vol.3-chapter 4 - "Yosenabe"

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Vol.3-chapter 4 - "Yosenabe"

Post by onizuka-gto »

1.4 Yosenabe

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that yosenabe is a Japanese dish saito should be familiar with? Perhaps a translation note should be added here to describe what it is. On the other hand, since Saito doesn't react to this information, I could be mistaken.

--

Yes Yosenabe is a japanese dish but it seems like Saito doesn't recognise the name. By the way, how did you add a comment on top of another comment? i'm only editing your comment at the moment.

--

if you're refering to the chapter headings, I coded them manually using ==header name==

if your refering to my signatures, that's four tildes (~~~~), and I just manually added two dashes as dividers between text so that it would be readable. Maybe someone else will inform me as to how to properly do this ^^;

--Delwack 09:56, 17 November 2007 (PST)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Apologies if I shouldn't be replying to this, I'm just a guest passing through.

The word used in the original Japanese was "yoshenave," which, while obviously inspired by yosenabe, is NOT yosenabe. Yoshenave is a fictional food exclusive to ZnT-verse. :)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Anonymous wrote:Apologies if I shouldn't be replying to this, I'm just a guest passing through.

The word used in the original Japanese was "yoshenave," which, while obviously inspired by yosenabe, is NOT yosenabe. Yoshenave is a fictional food exclusive to ZnT-verse. :)
that's an interesting opinion, if you have some convincing justification to back that up with, then i don't see why we cannot change it back.

As it has now been generally accepted by editors & translators for "yosenabe"
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Justification for... what? That it's spelled differently? That it's exclusive to ZnT?

For one thing, if you google ヨシェナヴェ (not 寄せ鍋 or よせなべ or ヨセナベ) all you get are ZnT-related links (or blogs belonging to people who use the handlename ヨシェナヴェ, which they have gotten from ZnT). XD

I was just trying to clear up the confusion about why Saito seemed to not recognize the name...
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by the_naming_game »

Thank you, that was exactly what was requested, I believe. After all, not everyone is capable of checking the raws. (our Japanese-based translator manpower for ZnT has gone down by quite a bit in recent times.) As such, they wouldn't necessarily understand the emphasis you put on "yoshenave" vs "yosenabe"

Now. I have to note that I haven't been following this project at all since the last time I was active on it, and I have not read the passage in question, in either Japanese or English, BUT -- the closeness in sound would seem to suggest more than just an inside joke between the author and reader. Otherwise, the author could have easily used an English-based or French-based food name.

Perhaps this is a relic of the Japanese pilot long ago? After all, it would be very easy to understand that they would have trouble pronouncing a foreign name like that. Thus "ヨシェナヴェ" ... so my theory is that the pilot made/requested this food, and that both the name and perhaps the actual food got mutated over time.

I suppose someone who's actually read the term in context can actually confirm or deny this theory...
Baka-Tsuki, suki! Yuki, suki!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

the_naming_game wrote:
Perhaps this is a relic of the Japanese pilot long ago? After all, it would be very easy to understand that they would have trouble pronouncing a foreign name like that. Thus "ヨシェナヴェ" ... so my theory is that the pilot made/requested this food, and that both the name and perhaps the actual food got mutated over time.

I suppose someone who's actually read the term in context can actually confirm or deny this theory...

hey, that's a plausible theory, i mean saito isn't the only Japanese to drop into ZnT.

Plus lots of real world examples of this.

well, i don't mind changing it back.

if anyone else got a better justification not to, speak up. :wink:

@Onizukademongto
Delwack
Astral Realm

Post by Delwack »

my two cents from an editing point of view: that mutation makes sense, since saito fails to show an indication of reconizition. It does seem to be an author-to-reader easter egg.
Momogan
Astral Realm

Post by Momogan »

The reason Saito doesn't recognize the word is because Siesta isn't pronouncing it exactly properly, so i guess the english would have to be spelt a tad differently as well for it to make sense. My bad for not realising.

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”