Volume 4 Chapter 6 Preview Is Up

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Volume 4 Chapter 6 Preview Is Up

Post by Darknemo2000 »

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... hapter_Six

A horrible chapter. I am not talking about the content but about the way it is written. Noboru was either drunk, with fever or was trying to write this chapter in two last hours after a week of sleepless night.

The description is off, the dialogs look forced, the second part is simply atrocious. Montmorency's words have no her character feeling to it - it felt like it was Naboru speaking all the way, trying to put in as much of information as possible without even trying to be subtle on how the information is given to the reader nor trying to pull around the Montmorency's usual manner of speaking.

The sentences are short. Some end up in abrupt way without giving out the actual meaning. Sometimes it felt like it was written by a second grader.

ZnT was a simplistic novels to begin with and could never compete in complexity with the most of novels translated by Baka-tsuki but Volume 4 and this chapter too is very very poorly written.

Well, I guess there has to be reason why Volume 4 is considered to be one of the worst in ZnT series...

Ugh...I seriously need to have to take a break and read some quality novels like Haruhi where the author does look like professional. Naboru is seriously off in this volume...Good thing he improved and returned to his usual writing style later on.
Dan
Square Mage

Re: Volume 4 Chapter 6 Preview Is Up

Post by Dan »

That was pretty bad...I had thought the former preview just had that bad of a translation.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Well the former preview was bad, but the actual Naboru's style was also off in this chapter.

It is a badly written one.

Now I will edit the chapter 7 for a bit.

Though i said before that I wont do anything about it, i noticed few mistranslations so it will still take a day or something like that to correct those. Nothing grand but still something to work on.

After that I guess I will go to chapter 9.

EDIT: As promised..Finished editing chapter 7. Mind you that I only looked at the mistranslations (there were some) and not grammar.

Oh well...seems like chapter 9 awaits me now...It's not taken isn't it?
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Also if anyone is wondering - I am adding additional spaces for the '<center>* * *</center>'.

The reason for doing this - the "***" as they are for now, still makes it rather easy to capture the lines of the last or the first sentences of the paragraph that it should be separated for.

Givin, in original Japanese there are no sign of like that and just a single space yet the way it is written it stands out well enough, while when we translate it, the spaces between the lines do not look enough thus we started adding the "***" marks but i think adding additional spaces to this mark would have even better effect.

EDIT: While adding the spaces in other chapters, i also edited and retranslated some parts of Volume 2, chapter 5. Mostly those that ArchmageXin had troubles with while translating (there were quite a few) and also some places where he obviously mistranslated (I corrected only the ones taht I were 100 percent sure about, I left it as it was if I were not sure about it).

So it would be nice if another editor that is better at english grammar would look it through again...
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Is the name of the lake "Ragdorian" or "Ragudorian"? It keeps switching between the two...
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Isn't 'Ragudorian' more like the japanese pronunciation?I'd go with Ragdorian.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Dan wrote:Is the name of the lake "Ragdorian" or "Ragudorian"? It keeps switching between the two...
Ragdorian or Lagdorian

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”