Volume 9, Chapter 8

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Novaren
Astral Realm

Volume 9, Chapter 8

Post by Novaren »

Done translating 58% of the chapter (Translated out of curiosity after I read a whole debate about this one particular event^^). This is my first time translating. I'm an MT translater so it's pretty much just a preview. I would love to translate a chapter closer to the other progressing volumes but I don't know if my translating skill is good enough yet.

So I would like to confirm it by using this chapter if it is any good^^

(Criticism of any kind is welcome...especially if I screwed something up)
Xorius
Astral Realm

Re: Volume 9, Chapter 8

Post by Xorius »

Heh, don't fret too much about it. The MT translations make it alot faster for me to translate when I translated one of the previews. Granted it WAS on of darknemo's, which are pretty much as good as normal translations anyway.

But, if you are worried, I could always just run through yours afterwards and turn it from a preview to a proper one. Who knows, it might not even require any changes if you did it well :D
Novaren
Astral Realm

Post by Novaren »

Thanks, your help is very much appreciated :D

I doubt my translations are as good/accurate as his :(

True he was the one who thought me how to do MT translations but he has more experience, knows japanese, and has 8 dictionaries...I on the other hand only have one physically real dictionary :(

On another note I made a slight error I didn't notice (Louis actually agreed to continue what they did last night...and not the other way around. How I missed that I will never know^^)
srstarry
Astral Realm

Post by srstarry »

the translations is great (although i dont know about the real one)

even if its a new translator, its much better then commoners like me XD

anyways, why not translate the volume after it too while ur at it XD (hee hee)
Novaren
Astral Realm

Post by Novaren »

It's finally done! :D

And after much thought, I decided to stick around volume 9 either until I completely translate it all (Which I highly doubt) or until the other translators catch up.

I'll probably start translating chapter 9 (since the suspense is killing me :?) then the epilogue, then back to chapter 1, etc.

And a BIG Thank you!!! To the people who edited it^^
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

Haha , damn you...

im so tempted to read this chapter, but my non-spoiler siren keeps flashing on and off every time i even get close to it.

The tempation is so bitter-sweet

Edit: o and, great job finishing the chapter
Xorius
Astral Realm

Post by Xorius »

Erm, I just read your chapter.

I've only read the first few lines, but it's quite misintepreted.
Spoiler! :
Saito doesn't actually know its magic disguised till the end. Hence the suprise he gets when Henrietta pops up instead of Louise. It is pretty much the meat and potatoes of why he was so mistaken.
I haven't read much further, but yeah, I'll brush it up completely when I have the time.

Bad luck on your first go, mate. Don't give up though!
Novaren
Astral Realm

Post by Novaren »

Sigh...I still have a lot to learn :(

Well thanks for checking and the heads up. I'll try to retranslate and double check the chapter this Sunday (Has work) until you can brush it up.

I'm very sorry for the inconvinience :(

But I won't give up! With this in mind I will be more careful from now on...well as careful as I can anyway and try to put two and two together. Plus I won't get any better if I stop^^

Also when you do havet he time to retranslate the chapter can you also post or send me a pm on all the things I got wrong. :mrgreen:

And I would like to say A really big sorry for the readers who read the chapter, since I messed up on the translation :(
Xorius
Astral Realm

Post by Xorius »

Heh, post all the changes? Well, I've kinda just been half editting/translating as I went. So tweaked quite a couple lines (every second one or so).

But yeah, just use the history tab on the wiki page. It's awfully useful for this! If you ain't sure how to use it, shoot me a PM and I can try to guide you through it. Personally, a little bit of a wiki noob myself though >.<

Anywho, I'm jus gonna run through the entire chapter now so yeah, you can take a look after I'm done (should take around an hour or two I think...) :)

EDIT: Phew, got to go out soon. Almost done, just got the last bit to do I think. But yeah, sorry to say that quite alot is misintpreted. Who's saying what to whom, the contents of the message, etc. Take a look at the history page.

EDIT: HOLY NUTS... My edit didn't pass through properly, and I deleted it from my word! ARGH!!! Two hours of work gone... *sniff* Sigh, that's disheartening...
Novaren
Astral Realm

Post by Novaren »

Well...that's a bit of a bummer :(

Still you're pretty fast when it comes to translating! I mean seriously it only took you 2 hours! (Wishes for a translator to translate one chapter per day...if they have the time that is^^)

Anyway, I'll study and compare the ones you have translated and try to see if it there is any possible way I could have translated it, even a wee bit closer to yours :)

Thanks for taking your time to translate my work! It really helps! :D

And I hope that little set back won't discourage you to translate it all :(
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Hiyono »

The Wiki does a little "checksum" (ha, checksum, get it?) anytime you try to edit, so don't take any edits as given until the edit has gone through and reloaded the article with them in place. Also, if you take "too long," you may need to reload the edit page, or it'll give you some crap about being logged out.

I feel for you though. Yesterday, I had just pasted my few hours worth of edits on KnS when Firefox crashed on me. I wanted to scream! Luckily everything was saved on the clipboard -_-
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
Xorius
Astral Realm

Post by Xorius »

Novaren wrote:Well...that's a bit of a bummer :(

Still you're pretty fast when it comes to translating! I mean seriously it only took you 2 hours! (Wishes for a translator to translate one chapter per day...if they have the time that is^^)

Anyway, I'll study and compare the ones you have translated and try to see if it there is any possible way I could have translated it, even a wee bit closer to yours :)

Thanks for taking your time to translate my work! It really helps! :D

And I hope that little set back won't discourage you to translate it all :(
No worries. I'm kind of stumped on my own chapter at the moment anyway. Like stumped as in I wana tear my hair out trying to figure out certain lines lol.

But yeah, I'm going to run through your chapter now... this time SAVING the damn document first lol :P

EDIT: Well, I'm about halfway done, and I've got work so yeah. I'll upload what I've done so far.

EDIT: If anyone can translate Japanese RAWs, can you take a look at the scene between Saito and Siesta ('role-playing' :wink: ) just before Louise turns up? The chinese RAW is very different in its intepretation of events compared with Novaren's machine translation. Ripe evidence for a chinese translation screw-up.

And this scene as well, when Saito first finds Louise (Henrietta) at the ball.
Spoiler! :
“I’m sorry, dear...”

“Dear? But you've always called me…”

“Saito-san.”

“That’s right.”
Xorius
Astral Realm

Post by Xorius »

Well, it's all done!

Please critique what you think I've done. And yeah, you can now check the differences out.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

While i haven't had the time to read your scripts yet,

thanks for your hardwork Xorius!

:mrgreen:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Novaren
Astral Realm

Post by Novaren »

Thanks for all you have done! I would also like to thank Mickey for his editing as well!^^

For thew first spoiler. I don't know which scene you are refering too :D that or you already changed it^^

As for the second spoiler Henrietta was actaully saying Saito's name with a more formal Japanese, compared to Louise's...unfortunately from what I can see it would only spell out Saito-san in the first dear...and still Saito-san afterwards...(sorry I am not that good with Japanese culture and almost zero to none on their language so there might be a better way through this^^) So after reading the dictionary the closest I could find to at least make the scene make some sense was to use dear instead.

Now for the uhm...critqueing

Yup the chapter looks great, better translation and good grammar to boot^^

And after comparing the two some of it 'translation wise' if I thought of it long enough I probably could have gotten right...but some...lets just say requires good guess work and dumbluck^^. I will admit that some scenes are a bit different (minus those I obviously misunderstood :roll: :mrgreen: ) but heck I can't tell which one is more correct anyway^^

Also I am currently translating chapter 9...in a very slow pace and I hope you can help me out with this as well^^...when it is done. :)

And again a final Thank you!

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”